PDA

View Full Version : What to do with $13 M in cap space?

Patler
06-17-2014, 04:15 AM
According to the GBPG, the Packers have $13,515,388 in available cap space after getting all of their draft picks signed.

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20140616/PKR01/306160396/Packers-leftover-salary-cap-room-provides-options

So now the question is, what should they do with it? They still have some time to sign one of their own 2014 FAs and get him into the full training camp. (Finley, Pickett, Jolly). There are few if any other FAs available that have much value, although a few have name recognition going for them. Highly doubtful that TT will use any of the space yet in the off season for any of these, including Finley, Pickett or Jolly.

According to ESPN, these are the Packers FAs for 2015:

Offense
Randall Cobb
Jordy Nelson
Jarrett Boykin*
Ryan Taylor
Bryan Bulaga
Don Barclay
Scott Tolzien

Defense
B.J. Raji
Letroy Guion
Jamari Lattimore
Tramon Williams
Jarrett Bush
Davon House
Sean Richardson*

* - Restricted Free Agent

Looking further ahead to 2016, their FAs will include Brad Jones, Hawk, Crosby, Neal, Perry Starks, Quarless, Worthy, Goode, Hayward and Daniels.

Among the 2015 FAs, the only ones who aren't entering a "prove your worth" year are Nelson and Cobb who have already proven their value. Everyone else has to demonstrate that they are healthy and can remain so, or that they can have a productive 2015. I don't think there is anyone among the 2016 FAs that they would target to sign early at this time. Clearly one or more of the 2015 or 2016 FAs could play well enough in 2014 to earn a new contract during the season.

Even Cobb might have to wait and prove that he can stay on the field in 2015 after missing games in each of his first 3 seasons. Nelson has missed games in only two of his six seasons.

All in all, the Packers cap situation looks darned good at this point.

mraynrand
06-17-2014, 04:26 AM
BRING BLACK WELLS!!!

vince
06-17-2014, 06:28 AM
At this point I'd say they're playing it right.

1. Finley only on a deal he probably won't sign.

2. Tweaked defensive approach means Pickett probably doesn't fit except as a back-up NT and it looks like Boyd's ready to become the younger, cheaper and probably more disruptive version of him.

3. Jolly brings an attitude and seems to be a great clubhouse guy but probably not much else at this point. If I had a gun to my head I'd probably rather go into battle with him than Worthy though at this point and I haven't looked up Guion's production since back when he was signed but I recall being very underwhelmed even though he looks like he should be better than he is. Hopefully I'll have to eat those words about Worthy some day.

4. Jordy will probably cost a bit more than Cobb but I'm not sure that'll be the case at this time next year as long as Cobb stays healthy. This is Jordy's peak and Cobb's ascending. Get 'em both signed sooner the better unless Jordy holds tough for too much than get Cobb signed ASAP and roll the dice with the 30 year old. That strategy hasn't seemed to work very well recently for guys like Jennings and Raji, and Jordy seems like he values the continuity and security more than getting every last dollar.

5. Sherrod could make or break Bulaga's eventual payday.

6. The rest of the guys are all expendable. Tramon will be an interesting one. He's not really old yet but when he loses a step he's done. The problem is I'm not sure they've got his full-time replacement on the roster yet - at least the same quality cover man. I'm not sold on House and I'd prefer Hayward - assuming he rebounds back to form - in the slot where he's elite rather than outside where he's probably a lot closer to average.

bobblehead
06-17-2014, 06:46 AM
Thread is over. You guys summed it up well. No point in throwing money at anyone except Jordy right now. Carry over cap space. Sign the guys who show they are worthy towards the end of the season, but no one other than Jordy has earned any early love yet.

mraynrand
06-17-2014, 06:49 AM
Good stuff above. I agree that T Will is one tweak away from being poor. House is really interesting because despite some grabby smurf tendencies, he can cover. I believe he was benched due to poor tackling/unwillingness to tackle. He has to show something more this year to get some cash.

vince
06-17-2014, 07:11 AM
I hope you're right about House Ayn because unless he's forced into a lot of action due to injury this year - and he excels doing so, he should be pretty cheap to re-sign. He's a good gunner too. I think he tends to give up too much over the top but he does have good speed so perhaps another year of experience and getting coached up will help him overcome that. Then there were times you mention where he seemed unwilling to get his head in there and tackle a guy or he looked like he was standing still watching a back go right past him that made you wonder what he was thinking sometimes.

pbmax
06-17-2014, 08:37 AM
Cobb before Nelson, but otherwise OK. I am not sure they want Cobb to be the #1 guy until he operates a full season from outside rather than the slot (Driver and Jennings could do both) but I guess we will find out.

Bulaga would have to have a monster year to demand a big deal, even then it'll be short term. I could see Bach at RT not sure if I could see the next guy. Barclay might be the season long backup everywhere, he could be brought back for a smedium deal. Otherwise, eh.

Both RFA guys will get competitive tenders, Boykin definitely, Richardson probably.

Raji same as Bulaga, Needs monster season to price himself into cap difficulty. I would be OK with that. Like Bulaga, I would make no attempt to resign until midseason.

House hasn't been able to hold down a starting job, so if they want him back they will get him. Bush will get paid one last time unless his legs go. I did not notice him as much on ST last year, but I haven't exactly watched the film.

Priority Offseason Signings:

1. Cobb
2. Nelson
3. Play it by ear

Pugger
06-17-2014, 08:42 AM
Thread is over. You guys summed it up well. No point in throwing money at anyone except Jordy right now. Carry over cap space. Sign the guys who show they are worthy towards the end of the season, but no one other than Jordy has earned any early love yet.

I might toss Cobb some of that money too.

Brandon494
06-17-2014, 11:30 AM
Cobb before Nelson, but otherwise OK. I am not sure they want Cobb to be the #1 guy until he operates a full season from outside rather than the slot (Driver and Jennings could do both) but I guess we will find out.

Bulaga would have to have a monster year to demand a big deal, even then it'll be short term. I could see Bach at RT not sure if I could see the next guy. Barclay might be the season long backup everywhere, he could be brought back for a smedium deal. Otherwise, eh.

Both RFA guys will get competitive tenders, Boykin definitely, Richardson probably.

Raji same as Bulaga, Needs monster season to price himself into cap difficulty. I would be OK with that. Like Bulaga, I would make no attempt to resign until midseason.

House hasn't been able to hold down a starting job, so if they want him back they will get him. Bush will get paid one last time unless his legs go. I did not notice him as much on ST last year, but I haven't exactly watched the film.

1. Cobb
2. Nelson
3. Play it by ear

THIS!

Cobb only missed 2 games his first two seasons and last year was only injured due to a dirty hit. I'm not concerned with him being injury prone at all. Nelson is almost 30 and I don't see him getting any better. Cobb on the other hand is only 23 and we have yet to see the best of him. Sign Cobb before he has a monster year or we'll be paying him more next season.

Patler
06-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Cobb has been hobbled often, even during his first two seasons when he missed only one game each season. Hopefully, they can get him off returns permanently and save those impacts for offense. He tends to play like a big, physical guy, but his body doesn't necessarily support that type of play. I'm not sure he has the elasticity/resiliency that Driver had (not many do). Hopefully, Cobb does and/or he learns discretion to avoid some of the bigger hits when little is to be gained. He brings a lot to the offense.

Fritz
06-17-2014, 11:58 AM

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Sign Nelson, Cobb, and Finley, then blow the rest of it on the player left in free agency who has the biggest name, regardless whether or not he can still play.

That's the only way you're gonna win the Offseason Super Bowl.

MadScientist
06-17-2014, 12:30 PM
Jordy should have at least 3 very good years left. Sign him to a 4-5 year contract with a mix of signing and roster bonus so there isn't a massive cap hit if he needs to be cut at the end. Cobb is younger and more dynamic, but doesn't have the track record. He only has one good year. Try to get him for a contract closer to what Jordy signed last time (with the hook that he'll be 27 the next time he is on the market). Possibly sweeten his deal with game day roster bonuses.

Bulaga should be looked into extending during the season. Wait until he proves healthy before extending him, but try to get him before he hits the market if he's healthy and still good.

Everyone else can wait until the end of the season.

Just Jeff
06-17-2014, 12:36 PM
We could resign the great Daryn Colledge

Brandon494
06-17-2014, 12:48 PM
Jordy should have at least 3 very good years left. Sign him to a 4-5 year contract with a mix of signing and roster bonus so there isn't a massive cap hit if he needs to be cut at the end. Cobb is younger and more dynamic, but doesn't have the track record. He only has one good year. Try to get him for a contract closer to what Jordy signed last time (with the hook that he'll be 27 the next time he is on the market). Possibly sweeten his deal with game day roster bonuses.

Bulaga should be looked into extending during the season. Wait until he proves healthy before extending him, but try to get him before he hits the market if he's healthy and still good.

Everyone else can wait until the end of the season.

No way do we get Cobb for what Nelson signed his first contract. Also to say he only has had one good year is not a fair statement, his rookie year we were stacked at WR, his soph year he was a stud, and last season he was on his way to a pro bowl season before getting hurt and still came back to make the game winning catch to send us to the playoffs. Cobb can still improve his value this season unlike Nelson which is why we should sign him first imo. We were lucky to sign Nelson for such a cheap deal then he broke out, Cobb has shown from the beginning hes a super star in the making.

pbmax
06-17-2014, 01:03 PM
No way do we get Cobb for what Nelson signed his first contract. Also to say he only has had one good year is not a fair statement, his rookie year we were stacked at WR, his soph year he was a stud, and last season he was on his way to a pro bowl season before getting hurt and still came back to make the game winning catch to send us to the playoffs. Cobb can still improve his value this season unlike Nelson which is why we should sign him first imo. We were lucky to sign Nelson for such a cheap deal then he broke out, Cobb has shown from the beginning hes a super star in the making.

I think Cobb may be cheaper than you think. That injury will hurt his totals and his guarantee. He can argue that healthy, he was on track for Jordy (or better than Jordy) production, but the totals aren't there. So he will get some speculative money that is not guaranteed and perhaps a short deal that will allow him to resign before 30.

Brandon494
06-17-2014, 01:19 PM
I think Cobb may be cheaper than you think. That injury will hurt his totals and his guarantee. He can argue that healthy, he was on track for Jordy (or better than Jordy) production, but the totals aren't there. So he will get some speculative money that is not guaranteed and perhaps a short deal that will allow him to resign before 30.

I see him getting a 4 year deal around 25-30M and honestly I think Jordy will get something similar.

MadScientist
06-17-2014, 02:11 PM
I see him getting a 4 year deal around 25-30M and honestly I think Jordy will get something similar.
Jordy will get more due to a longer history of high production, including coming off a 1300 yard season. Cobb may have a higher upside, but he has never produced that much in a season, and is coming off a season that he only played 6 games. Say what you like about it, but if he wants to get paid now, those numbers will affect the bottom line. A 3 year deal would give him a chance for a huge pay day, and give him security now. I do expect it to be more than the one Jordy signed last time, but closer to it than the one Jordy will sign this time.

BZnDallas
06-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Jordy will get more due to a longer history of high production, including coming off a 1300 yard season. Cobb may have a higher upside, but he has never produced that much in a season, and is coming off a season that he only played 6 games. Say what you like about it, but if he wants to get paid now, those numbers will affect the bottom line. A 3 year deal would give him a chance for a huge pay day, and give him security now. I do expect it to be more than the one Jordy signed last time, but closer to it than the one Jordy will sign this time.

I disagree Mad... maybe i'm just drinking the kool aid, but everything out of the Nelson camp is he wants to stay in GB and will take less money to do it... I think he signs for 1-2 million more per year than his last contract... if i remember correctly he's already stated he has more money than he can ever spend...

I could be wrong, and that kool aid is damn good if i am... but here's to wishful thinking and an affordable Jordy Deal!

bobblehead
06-17-2014, 07:39 PM
We could resign the great Daryn Colledge

That would be a waste, we already have one College type guard, and one who is better. Oh...wait...you were trolling. My bad, carry on.

bobblehead
06-17-2014, 07:42 PM

I think, like with most here re: sam shields, you are underestimating what these guys want/can command. If Jordy hits the open market he will get 4/40.

Brandon494
06-17-2014, 09:06 PM
I think, like with most here re: sam shields, you are underestimating what these guys want/can command. If Jordy hits the open market he will get 4/40.

I don't see him getting that much, Eric Decker just signed a 5 year deal worth 36 million and hes two years younger than Nelson. Nelson isn't the type of guy who seeks money, I think staying in GB is more important to him.

smuggler
06-18-2014, 03:54 AM
5/35 for Jordy would be awesome.

MadScientist
06-18-2014, 09:28 AM
I don't see him getting that much, Eric Decker just signed a 5 year deal worth 36 million and hes two years younger than Nelson. Nelson isn't the type of guy who seeks money, I think staying in GB is more important to him.
Decker is more like Cobb in that he was coming off a rookie contract. However Decker was a FA and does not have an injury history, so he had more leverage than Cobb does. I think Jordy will get a contract that averages ~8M, although funny money at the end may make the figure higher.

Fritz
06-18-2014, 03:26 PM
What to do, what to do...

I do think this training camp will tell the tale. One thing that the new crop does not seem to have that Cobb does have in spades is that quick-twitch movement. There seem to be big, physical recievers (Adams, Harper) and a long strider (Janis), and the slight-of-build White, but none of them seem to have quite the skill-set that Cobb has.

As for Nelson, I wonder if TT will be willing to tie up five years in a wide receiver who'd be what, 35 at the end of the contract?

So I wonder if some cap guru has developed an algorithm that shows the savings gained by signing a guy a year early versus the increased risk of injury, and another algorithm that shows the level of decrease in performance over a five year contract by wide receivers versus the increase in stability at a position.

texaspackerbacker
06-18-2014, 04:56 PM
As to the original question, if there really is $13 million at the start of the season, guarantee that much or make it a bonus or whatever from the tail end of Aaron Rodgers' contract - to use up the cap space now and improve the picture down the road.

As for Jordy Nelson, I don't think they do anything now, but before the following season, I'm pretty sure Thompson makes a deal with him for a decent amount, but not as extravagant as some other WR contracts. He's a damn good player, but I think he knows, he's better off in Green Bay than he would be anywhere else. I'm not quite so confident about retaining Randall Cobb.

Guiness
06-18-2014, 06:34 PM
It's a really hard call with Jordy. 29 years old, no injury history, coming off his best season in which he proved, with Jennings gone, that he was capable of being a #1WR. I think he really wants to stay in GB, but assuming this is a 4yr deal, it's probably his last big contract. Will someone throw WR franchise tag level $$$ at him?

vince
06-18-2014, 10:02 PM
This year's number for WR's is $12.3 mil. I'd be shocked if Jordy would hold on and target a yearly figure anywhere close to that.

He's really valuable - incredible hands (only drops the easy ones), amazing body control, deceptive speed, underappreciated YAC who's tough for DB's to corral and has a real knack for the end zone, not to mention a high character team-first guy with a squeaky clean lifestyle. He has a lot to offer these young up-and-comers who could use a couple years to become really proficient in this offense. He's worth every bit of $10 mil a year in today's market for 3 or even 4 years with half of it up front given his physical make-up and the completeness of his game.

It just seems like he'd sign for less than that though. Stretch that signing bonus over 4 years and get Cobb locked up too for 5. No room for Finley at that point but it'd leave a bit of contingency money yet.

Gee it sure is easy in fantasy land.

run pMc
06-18-2014, 10:49 PM

1. Cobb
2. Nelson
3. Play it by ear

This

woodbuck27
06-19-2014, 09:09 AM
What to do, what to do...

I do think this training camp will tell the tale. One thing that the new crop does not seem to have that Cobb does have in spades is that quick-twitch movement. There seem to be big, physical recievers (Adams, Harper) and a long strider (Janis), and the slight-of-build White, but none of them seem to have quite the skill-set that Cobb has.

As for Nelson, I wonder if TT will be willing to tie up five years in a wide receiver who'd be what, 35 at the end of the contract?

So I wonder if some cap guru has developed an algorithm that shows the savings gained by signing a guy a year early versus the increased risk of injury, and another algorithm that shows the level of decrease in performance over a five year contract by wide receivers versus the increase in stability at a position.

pbmax ...can you get on that?

4 and/Vs 5 year contracts? I don't like five year contracts that aren't written in favor of the team.
Have we forgotten how fast things can change?...ie Nick Collins and JerMichael Finley are examples.

I hope the TT gives the ? of $money$ and Randall Cobb at least half a season.

I agree that Jordy Nelson may go for the security of Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay over a mega deal option and sign for about $8 Million$/year for four seasons.

MadScientist
06-19-2014, 09:43 AM
This isn't much of an issue with NFL contracts. Any 5 year contract for Jordy will be written to allow for a manageable cut after 3 year (preferably with a decent cap number for year 4).

Bretsky
06-21-2014, 08:50 AM
I'd identify one you want to sign more and use some classic TT skills to front load the first deal.

Brandon seems to be pretty spot on with his contract analysis.....but for some reason I see both Jordy and Cobb making more than his predictions. I do hope he's right though.

So if they both cost in the neighborhood of ...let's say...7.5 MIL..........can you allocate 20MIL to AROD and 15 MIL to your top 2 WR's ??????

Bretsky
06-21-2014, 08:51 AM

Jordy Nelson is in a level above Decker talent wise, isn't he ??

vince
06-21-2014, 09:33 AM
He is in my book. I'd put Jordy at the very top of the tier right below just a handful of the sexier guys like CJ, Green, Jones, Bryant... I'm sure I missed a guy or two but I think Jordy is very underrated. He's at the top of his game. Some of the sideline grabs he makes while keeping his feet in are nothing short of amazing. Most of the sexy guys don't make those consistently. The Packers just get him the ball and dare DB's to take him down inside the 10. They end up on their back watching him score. His only problem is he's not 25. You could say that Jordy's better on the Packers than other teams due to his system proficiency and chemistry with Rodgers, but I'd say he's way better than guys like Decker.

red
06-21-2014, 09:57 AM
recent history has shown that TT is not going to spend money on wr's

after seeing TT draft 3 wr's this year, it would not surprise me one bit to see one if not both nelson and cobb be allowed to walk after this season

mraynrand
06-21-2014, 10:04 AM

after seeing TT draft 3 wr's this year, it would not surprise me one bit to see one if not both nelson and cobb be allowed to walk after this season

Your point about TT and WRs is valid; hard to believe he'd let both walk tho.

red
06-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Your point about TT and WRs is valid; hard to believe he'd let both walk tho.

it would be hard to believe, but it wouldn't shock me

Brandon494
06-21-2014, 12:04 PM
it would be hard to believe, but it wouldn't shock me

zero chance that happens...

Brandon494
06-21-2014, 12:06 PM

He lets WRs reaching 30 walk, when was the last time he let a 24 year old starter walk coming off their rookie contract? Never

red
06-21-2014, 12:35 PM
He lets WRs reaching 30 walk, when was the last time he let a 24 year old starter walk coming off their rookie contract? Never

didn't he let jones walk after his rookie deal? only for him to get no other offers and comeback?

cobb is better then jones was back then, but we really don't have a lot of other examples of young WR's that he will have to give huge contracts to

if my memory serves me right, jordy and jennings both signed pretty modest deals after their rookie contracts, i'm not sure cobb could be had for a modest deal

plus, like i said before. drafting 3 decent prospects this year to go with miles white, plus his willingness to let guys like jennings and jones walk, kinda makes it look like TT is ready to go with the revolving door option at WR

when driver got old did we miss a beat on offense? no

when jennings left,did the offense get worse? no

when cobb was lost for the year did the offense turn to shit? no

TT could be looking at things like all he needs to do is get guys that can catch the ball, and his stud QB will do all the rest

mraynrand
06-21-2014, 12:39 PM
didn't he let jones walk after his rookie deal? only for him to get no other offers and comeback?

jones wasn't a starter

RashanGary
06-21-2014, 12:39 PM

Right. Cobb is here. Plus, he's the only guy like him that we have. Nelson is probably with us too. He wants to be here and will be reasonable during negotiations, Especially in light of Jennings and Raji having their greed blow up in their collective faces.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jordy extends in tc, 3 years 30mil on top of the one year he has for peanuts. Cobb probably 4 years, 32 mil on top of his smaller last year.

I would expect Nelson to have more guaranteed.

red
06-21-2014, 12:45 PM
jones wasn't a starter

him and jordy were like 3a and 3b back then

Brandon494
06-21-2014, 01:07 PM

cobb is better then jones was back then, but we really don't have a lot of other examples of young WR's that he will have to give huge contracts to

if my memory serves me right, jordy and jennings both signed pretty modest deals after their rookie contracts, i'm not sure cobb could be had for a modest deal

plus, like i said before. drafting 3 decent prospects this year to go with miles white, plus his willingness to let guys like jennings and jones walk, kinda makes it look like TT is ready to go with the revolving door option at WR

when driver got old did we miss a beat on offense? no Because he had Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb, and Finley on the team

when jennings left,did the offense get worse? no Because we had Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Boykin, and a improved running game with Lacy

when cobb was lost for the year did the offense turn to shit? no Because we still had 3 WRs in Nelson, Jones, and Boykin with an improved running game

TT could be looking at things like all he needs to do is get guys that can catch the ball, and his stud QB will do all the rest

Letting Jones test the FA market was completely different because we were loaded at WR during that time. It would make no sense for TT to go into the season next year with Davante Adams as our #1, Boykin as our #2, and Abby as our #3 wide out.

Brandon494
06-21-2014, 01:09 PM
him and jordy were like 3a and 3b back then

Yea but we still had Jennings, Nelson, Driver, Finley, and had just drafted Cobb...completely different situation.

red
06-21-2014, 01:20 PM
Letting Jones test the FA market was completely different because we were loaded at WR during that time. It would make no sense for TT to go into the season next year with Davante Adams as our #1, Boykin as our #2, and Abby as our #3 wide out.

i guess it all depends on how the rookies look. but i can see a situation where its adams, boykins, abby, and janis as our top 4 wr's with next years rookie being #5 next year

why tie up good big money at WR when TT is basically a WR drafting machine? i mean has he really missed on a WR yet?

TT + arod= WR factory

and its boykins, i called him miles white in that previous post, my bad

Brandon494
06-21-2014, 01:42 PM
You tie up good money to Nelson and Cobb because without them we aren't SB contenders.

red
06-21-2014, 02:00 PM
You tie up good money to Nelson and Cobb because without them we aren't SB contenders.

hey, i would love it if we re sign both, but i just don't know if i see it happening

Brandon494
06-21-2014, 02:03 PM
hey, i would love it if we re sign both, but i just don't know if i see it happening

Trust me, it will happen.

bobblehead
06-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Trust me, it will happen.

If I'm TT I am offering them both modest extensions right now. See which one signs it, then use that to leverage the other into signing a similar deal. I'm not talking insulting them, just trying to get the home town / year early discount.

Brandon494
06-21-2014, 05:44 PM
If I'm TT I am offering them both modest extensions right now. See which one signs it, then use that to leverage the other into signing a similar deal. I'm not talking insulting them, just trying to get the home town / year early discount.

Agree and both players don't seem to be taking the Greg Jennings approach to wanting top dollar, they both know they have a good thing going in Green Bay.

red
06-21-2014, 05:53 PM
Agree and both players don't seem to be taking the Greg Jennings approach to wanting top dollar, they both know they have a good thing going in Green Bay.

jennings didn't make any noise at all about wanting top dollar and being out of green bay until late in his last season when his horse face sister started chirping

Brandon494
06-21-2014, 06:03 PM
jennings didn't make any noise at all about wanting top dollar and being out of green bay until late in his last season when his horse face sister started chirping

They wanted him back but he choose the highest offer which I don't blame him at all, I just don't see Nelson or Cobb doing that. Cobb will be resigned for sure unless he suffers another big injury, then I see them resigning Nelson to 8M per year. Its no way they let both players go after losing Finley to injury, they know how important is it to keep play makers around Rodgers.

Joemailman
06-21-2014, 06:05 PM

Jennings turned down an offer from the Packers and decided to play out his contract and enter free agency. He was obviously going for top dollar.

pbmax
06-21-2014, 06:18 PM

I think we knew in camp that Jennings has turned down 8+ mil earlier in the year.

Patler
06-22-2014, 09:22 AM
It will be interesting to see how aggressive the Packers are in getting at least one of Nelson or Cobb signed before the end of the season. If one signs, it will be even more interesting to see if they even try to sign the second anytime before FA. I won't be surprised to see one signed quickly, and I won't be at all surprised if they let the other wait until after the season, assuming a couple of the other WRs show something between now and then.

The Packers could find themselves in a position where it makes no sense to sign both Nelson and Cobb to large contracts. If Adams comes on like Cobb, Nelson, Jennings and Jones did as rookies, convincing the coaches that they deserved all the opportunities they could get going into their second seasons, it starts to create a logjam of sorts if Boykin is a worthy #3 and one or more of Harper, Abbrederis, Janis, White and Dorsey proves they belong on the field as well. Then there is also the potential for creative use of Rodgers or Bostick who spent time in WR roles in college. Cap management is a balancing act, and if you have worthy cheap guys, it doesn't always pay to keep a better, but much more expensive player.

It might be an interesting situation, because I get the feeling that Nelson might be the easier one to sign, but Cobb is the more unique talent.

Of course, if only one or two of the WRs not named Nelson or Cobb prove themselves worthy, the situation is much different.

pbmax
06-22-2014, 09:57 AM
I think we knew in camp that Jennings has turned down 8+ mil earlier in the year.

Had one other recollection, not date specific. We knew, from that report of turning down $8-9 mil, that Jennings had offered as his comparable Vincent Jackson. He wasn't looking for a Fitzgerald deal, but the tier below it, which at the time was very expensive.

pbmax
06-22-2014, 09:59 AM
And I know what Patler is saying about Nelson, but I think the recent charm offensive (taking over the softball game, he has been all over the state this summer) is geared toward one last big deal. Just not sure how important the dollars are.

Patler
06-22-2014, 10:03 AM
Had one other recollection, not date specific. We knew, from that report of turning down $8-9 mil, that Jennings had offered as his comparable Vincent Jackson. He wasn't looking for a Fitzgerald deal, but the tier below it, which at the time was very expensive.

All those happened a year and more before he left, because I argued for more than a year that Jennings was on his way out, based on things he said and did.

Patler
06-22-2014, 10:09 AM
And I know what Patler is saying about Nelson, but I think the recent charm offensive (taking over the softball game, he has been all over the state this summer) is geared toward one last big deal. Just not sure how important the dollars are.

Exactly, which is why I think he will be the easier one to sign. The Packers signed and extended Driver a couple times from age 30, and I could see the same happening with Nelson, keeping him in GB until his career is done. Sign him now for 5 years, and in 3-4 years or so extending him another couple years in a way that reduces his cap hit.

woodbuck27
06-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Exactly, which is why I think he will be the easier one to sign. The Packers signed and extended Driver a couple times from age 30, and I could see the same happening with Nelson, keeping him in GB until his career is done. Sign him now for 5 years, and in 3-4 years or so extending him another couple years in a way that reduces his cap hit.

Yes.

mraynrand
06-22-2014, 02:33 PM
Maybe we'll get lucky and Jordy will take advice from Omar Vizquel

BZnDallas
06-22-2014, 03:25 PM
I dont see either of them leaving... both are Packer People... Cobb is too young, Nelson is the new Driver... both sign cap friendly deals with Cobb getting a lil more money due to being younger and Nelson not asking to break the bank... nothing to see here, move along... hahah

Joemailman
06-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Adams would have to show a lot for TT to let Nelson or Cobb go. TT will not create a situation where he doesn't have a legitimate #2. He let Jennings go after Cobb showed he could be a #2. I think they're both coming back unless Adams looks like Greg Jennings looked as a rookie.

pbmax
06-22-2014, 03:54 PM
Adams would have to show a lot for TT to let Nelson or Cobb go. TT will not create a situation where he doesn't have a legitimate #2. He let Jennings go after Cobb showed he could be a #2. I think they're both coming back unless Adams looks like Greg Jennings looked as a rookie.

And that was with Jones nominally stating in 2 WR sets.

Brandon494
06-22-2014, 04:53 PM
I dont see either of them leaving... both are Packer People... Cobb is too young, Nelson is the new Driver... both sign cap friendly deals with Cobb getting a lil more money due to being younger and Nelson not asking to break the bank... nothing to see here, move along... hahah

ding ding

Brandon494
06-22-2014, 04:53 PM
And that was with Jones nominally stating in 2 WR sets.

Exactly

woodbuck27
06-22-2014, 07:26 PM

Gee that's optimism...no ... OPTIMISM.

vince
07-07-2014, 06:44 AM
Obviously Rodgers is a huge part of this equation but this is interesting.

Rodgers & Nelson the Most Potent Combo in the League (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2014/06/30/packers-aaron-rodgers-jordy-nelson-best-qb-wr-duo-in-nfl/)

Since 2011, Aaron Rodgers has thrown to Jordy Nelson 224 times and has completed 158 of those passes (70.5 percent). They have produced 2,683 yards, 26 touchdowns, three interceptions for a passer rating of 143.9. Plus, they have needed eight yards on average for the first down and have moved the chains 51.3 percent of the time.

http://img.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp-content/uploads/sites/28/2014/06/QBWR-Combo-Passer-Rating-2011-to-2013.jpg

I'd love to see how Cobb stacks up by this measure too. My guess is he'd be right up there as well.

I think this shows just how underrated Nelson is by most around the league. Say what you want about raw physical ability, he just flat out gets it done on the field with anyone.

Get em signed Ted.

Brandon494
07-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Only people who think Nelson is underrated are the folks who don't pay attention to football. Those are great numbers but even so I don't consider Nelson a top 5 WR, it just shows you the connection that him and Rodgers have together. They are pretty much unstoppable with certain routes, just shows you how much time they put into practicing.

Patler
07-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Only people who think Nelson is underrated are the folks who don't pay attention to football. Those are great numbers but even so I don't consider Nelson a top 5 WR, it just shows you the connection that him and Rodgers have together. They are pretty much unstoppable with certain routes, just shows you how much time they put into practicing.

I guess that explains why Nelsons numbers tanked so bad after Rodgers got hurt, and Nelson was forced to play with three other QBs. Oh, .... wait,....his numbers barely changed compared to his 1st seven games.

Next theory?????

pbmax
07-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Its not determinative, as no other franchises except perhaps the Jaguars and Titans have as bad a starting QB as the Packer 2013 backups, but Rodgers makes a difference to Nelson on this team.

Recvng Recvng Recvng Recvng
Rk G# Date Age Tm Opp Result Rec Yds Y/R TD TotTD TotPts
1 1 09/08/13 28-100 GNB @ SFO L 28-34 7 130 18.57 1 1 6
2 2 09/15/13 28-107 GNB WAS W 38-20 3 66 22 2 2 12
3 3 09/22/13 28-114 GNB @ CIN L 30-34 8 93 11.63 0 0 0
4 4 10/06/13 28-128 GNB DET W 22-9 5 82 16.4 0 0 0
5 5 10/13/13 28-135 GNB @ BAL W 19-17 4 113 28.25 1 1 6
6 6 10/20/13 28-142 GNB CLE W 31-13 5 42 8.4 1 1 6
7 7 10/27/13 28-149 GNB @ MIN W 44-31 7 123 17.57 2 2 12
8 8 11/04/13 28-157 GNB CHI L 20-27 4 67 16.75 0 0 0
9 9 11/10/13 28-163 GNB PHI L 13-27 6 56 9.33 0 0 0
10 10 11/17/13 28-170 GNB @ NYG L 13-27 8 117 14.63 0 0 0
11 11 11/24/13 28-177 GNB MIN T 26-26 4 58 14.5 0 0 0
12 12 11/28/13 28-181 GNB @ DET L 10-40 2 14 7 0 0 0
13 13 12/08/13 28-191 GNB ATL W 22-21 4 85 21.25 0 0 0
14 14 12/15/13 28-198 GNB @ DAL W 37-36 5 61 12.2 1 1 6
15 15 12/22/13 28-205 GNB PIT L 31-38 3 46 15.33 0 0 0
16 16 12/29/13 28-212 GNB @ CHI W 33-28 10 161 16.1 0 0 0

Rodgers 8 gms 49 810 17.37 7 7 42
Dreck 8 gms 36 504 13.87 1 1 6

16 Games 8-7-1 85 1314 15.46 8 8 48

MadScientist
07-07-2014, 04:23 PM
So with the crappiest QB's in the league he was on pace to be the ~24 best in terms of yards, with AR ~2nd.

No matter how you look at it he is a hell of a receiver. Unless there are clear signs that he will fall off a cliff soon, he should be re-signed if possible.

vince
07-07-2014, 04:41 PM
No doubt the chemistry that Nelson has built with Rodgers over the years brings a significant part of his value, but that in no way negates or even reduces the value he brings. It enhances it.

Freak Out
07-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Crazy we even have to have this conversation.

Patler
07-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Its not determinative, as no other franchises except perhaps the Jaguars and Titans have as bad a starting QB as the Packer 2013 backups, but Rodgers makes a difference to Nelson on this team.

Recvng Recvng Recvng Recvng
Rk G# Date Age Tm Opp Result Rec Yds Y/R TD TotTD TotPts
1 1 09/08/13 28-100 GNB @ SFO L 28-34 7 130 18.57 1 1 6
2 2 09/15/13 28-107 GNB WAS W 38-20 3 66 22 2 2 12
3 3 09/22/13 28-114 GNB @ CIN L 30-34 8 93 11.63 0 0 0
4 4 10/06/13 28-128 GNB DET W 22-9 5 82 16.4 0 0 0
5 5 10/13/13 28-135 GNB @ BAL W 19-17 4 113 28.25 1 1 6
6 6 10/20/13 28-142 GNB CLE W 31-13 5 42 8.4 1 1 6
7 7 10/27/13 28-149 GNB @ MIN W 44-31 7 123 17.57 2 2 12
8 8 11/04/13 28-157 GNB CHI L 20-27 4 67 16.75 0 0 0
9 9 11/10/13 28-163 GNB PHI L 13-27 6 56 9.33 0 0 0
10 10 11/17/13 28-170 GNB @ NYG L 13-27 8 117 14.63 0 0 0
11 11 11/24/13 28-177 GNB MIN T 26-26 4 58 14.5 0 0 0
12 12 11/28/13 28-181 GNB @ DET L 10-40 2 14 7 0 0 0
13 13 12/08/13 28-191 GNB ATL W 22-21 4 85 21.25 0 0 0
14 14 12/15/13 28-198 GNB @ DAL W 37-36 5 61 12.2 1 1 6
15 15 12/22/13 28-205 GNB PIT L 31-38 3 46 15.33 0 0 0
16 16 12/29/13 28-212 GNB @ CHI W 33-28 10 161 16.1 0 0 0

Rodgers 8 gms 49 810 17.37 7 7 42
Dreck 8 gms 36 504 13.87 1 1 6

16 Games 8-7-1 85 1314 15.46 8 8 48

Well of course Rodgers makes a difference, just as he makes a difference for every guy who catches passes in GB. But in the 8 games Rodgers was out, when Nelson played with QBs who spent not one second with him in the off season and training camp, he still managed to have 36 receptions and 504 yards. Playing a full season with Tolzien and a guy who was cutting three times in a year he would have been a 1000 yard receiver with 70+ catches.

Here's a thought....maybe the reason Flynn has success in GB and looks awful elsewhere is because of the receivers he gets to throw to in GB??????

Brandon494
07-07-2014, 05:20 PM
I guess that explains why Nelsons numbers tanked so bad after Rodgers got hurt, and Nelson was forced to play with three other QBs. Oh, .... wait,....his numbers barely changed compared to his 1st seven games.

Next theory?????

Hmm maybe it had something to do with Cobb and Finley being out...

Or the backup QBs not spreading the ball around like Rodgers does and locking onto Nelson...

Or the Packers having to pass more during the losing streak...

Or the fact that 5 out of the 7 teams we faced during that streak were ranked among the worst pass defenses in the NFL.

Also Nelson had 7 TDs in those first 7 games and only 1 without Rodgers at QB...

Brandon494
07-07-2014, 05:26 PM
No doubt the chemistry that Nelson has built with Rodgers over the years brings a significant part of his value, but that in no way negates or even reduces the value he brings. It enhances it.

Agreed which is why I believe he and Cobb will be resigned. Cobb is another guy who looks to be building nice chemistry with Rodgers and hes yet to hit his prime.

Brandon494
07-07-2014, 05:32 PM
Here's a thought....maybe the reason Flynn has success in GB and looks awful elsewhere is because of the receivers he gets to throw to in GB??????

I might agree if all our other backup QBs didn't suck so bad. Also Flynn honestly never got a chance anywhere else because teams went with the younger guy. Obviously Wilson was the right choice but would have liked to see Flynn get a chance in Oakland as the starting QB.

Guiness
07-07-2014, 05:44 PM
I might agree if all our other backup QBs didn't suck so bad. Also Flynn honestly never got a chance anywhere else because teams went with the younger guy. Obviously Wilson was the right choice but would have liked to see Flynn get a chance in Oakland as the starting QB.

That one made no sense at all, and doubly so when they dumped Pryor in the off-season. That decision really surprised me out of McKenzie.

Brandon494
07-07-2014, 05:49 PM
That one made no sense at all, and doubly so when they dumped Pryor in the off-season. That decision really surprised me out of McKenzie.

Yea don't know if it was because Flynn was injured or he was trying to follow the trend of scrambling QBs who were winning at the time.

Patler
07-07-2014, 06:41 PM
So, it seems that Nelson is "made" by a combination of

- Rodgers, who is just so good
- the backup QBs who, for some reason, lock onto him rather than going to other receivers
- Jones, Boykin, Quarless, et al. who are so bad that QBs throw to them only if absolutely necessary
- His uncanny luck of playing the worst pass defenses for half the season.

Silly me, I thought it had something to do with:
- running good routes and being where he should be when he should be
- knowing the sideline like the back of his hand
- being good at using his body to shield DBs from the ball
- being reliable in catching the ball
- having a good combination of speed, quickness and size.

Guiness
07-07-2014, 06:47 PM

- the backup QBs who, for some reason, lock onto him rather than going to other receivers
- Jones, Boykin, Quarless, et al. who are so bad that QBs throw to them only if absolutely necessary

You forgot 'being underestimated because he's white'. Don't know if that goes in the first list or second.

Brandon494
07-07-2014, 07:01 PM

I don't think anyone was ever arguing if Nelson was good...

You are the one who disagreed with the fact that he is a better player with Rodgers in the line up which is a fact. Don't believe me? Go ask Greg Jennings...

bobblehead
07-07-2014, 07:48 PM
Obviously Rodgers is a huge part of this equation but this is interesting.

Rodgers & Nelson the Most Potent Combo in the League (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2014/06/30/packers-aaron-rodgers-jordy-nelson-best-qb-wr-duo-in-nfl/)

http://img.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp-content/uploads/sites/28/2014/06/QBWR-Combo-Passer-Rating-2011-to-2013.jpg

I'd love to see how Cobb stacks up by this measure too. My guess is he'd be right up there as well.

I think this shows just how underrated Nelson is by most around the league. Say what you want about raw physical ability, he just flat out gets it done on the field with anyone.

Get em signed Ted.

It also shows me how awesome Brees and Brady are.

bobblehead
07-07-2014, 07:52 PM
So...what are we going to do with 13 million in cap space...that is the topic right?

Patler
07-07-2014, 08:24 PM
I don't think anyone was ever arguing if Nelson was good...

You are the one who disagreed with the fact that he is a better player with Rodgers in the line up which is a fact. Don't believe me? Go ask Greg Jennings...

Nope, never disagreed that Nelson and all receivers are better with Rodgers. What I disagreed with was the implication that Nelson is good only because of Rodgers, and a long laundry list of other factors having nothing to do with what HE brings to the job.

Brandon494
07-07-2014, 08:59 PM
It also shows me how awesome Brees and Brady are.

Remember TEs were not included in the list above...I'm sure Brees and Brady would be right up there if Graham and Gronk were on the list.

Brandon494
07-07-2014, 09:00 PM
Nope, never disagreed that Nelson and all receivers are better with Rodgers. What I disagreed with was the implication that Nelson is good only because of Rodgers, and a long laundry list of other factors having nothing to do with what HE brings to the job.

Still don't believe anyone ever said Nelson is only good because of Rodgers...

Brandon494
07-07-2014, 09:02 PM
So...what are we going to do with 13 million in cap space...that is the topic right?

Same thing we do every year, resign our own guys as long as they aren't around 30 and injury prone.

Patler
07-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Same thing we do every year, resign our own guys as long as they aren't around 30 and injury prone.

How about one who is 25 and injury prone?

Brandon494
07-07-2014, 09:56 PM
How about one who is 25 and injury prone?

That all depends on how Bulaga plays this year, if he can stay healthy I see TT bringing him back. Also believe the injury might help us resign him for a smaller amount.

Joemailman
07-07-2014, 10:04 PM
That all depends on how Bulaga plays this year, if he can stay healthy I see TT bringing him back. Also believe the injury might help us resign him for a smaller amount.

Likely a contract without a lot of guaranteed money.

Patler
07-07-2014, 10:54 PM

I agree. It will get interesting if Bulaga misses 3-4 games again this year.

3irty1
07-08-2014, 08:56 AM
To be perfectly honest I don't put a premium on either one. Both are great players and better men but neither are deep threats or red zone monsters who get paid the big bucks. Jordy used to be but its been a few seasons since I've seen him blow by a DB and catch one over his shoulder. He's already made that Driver type transition where he's just so good at everything else he can afford to age. Cobb was frequently compared to Harvin, but Harvin was an elite athlete among elite athlete where Cobb just isn't. Hell, if we could get the ransom that the Seahawks paid for Harvin for Cobb I'd probably take it. He's good and young but will always need to make guys miss in order to hit the home run. If your whole WR corps are move-the-chains dudes who need 85 catches per year to get their yards you're past the point of diminishing returns on that kind of guy IMO. Especially with a competent running game.

Joemailman
07-08-2014, 09:42 AM
I agree. It will get interesting if Bulaga misses 3-4 games again this year.

Especially if Sherrod plays well in his place.

pbmax
07-08-2014, 10:03 AM
To be perfectly honest I don't put a premium on either one. Both are great players and better men but neither are deep threats or red zone monsters who get paid the big bucks. Jordy used to be but its been a few seasons since I've seen him blow by a DB and catch one over his shoulder. He's already made that Driver type transition where he's just so good at everything else he can afford to age. Cobb was frequently compared to Harvin, but Harvin was an elite athlete among elite athlete where Cobb just isn't. Hell, if we could get the ransom that the Seahawks paid for Harvin for Cobb I'd probably take it. He's good and young but will always need to make guys miss in order to hit the home run. If your whole WR corps are move-the-chains dudes who need 85 catches per year to get their yards you're past the point of diminishing returns on that kind of guy IMO. Especially with a competent running game.

That's an interesting point about Nelson getting deep. I wonder if its him (athletically), the DBs playing off or that he is simply asked to do different things?

I would compare him to Jennings though, more than Driver, when it comes to his contract. He is probably shooting for something at least one step below the top tier, at least by his numbers. While I think he is campaigning for an aggressive Packer offer, I can't see him asking for Vincent Jackson money. And I can't see Ted paying it.

Joemailman
07-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Nelson was 10th in the NFL in receiving yards in 2013. He was 9th in YPR among the 24 receivers with 1000 yards or more. I don't think his speed has declined. His 15.5 YPR in 2013 was the second best of his career, behind 18.6 in 2011. It was late in 2011 though that teams started playing 2 deep safeties more to take away the deep post to Jordy that was so effective for most of 2011. The difference is how opposing defenses are playing the Packers, not Jordy's speed.

Edit: Jordy's YPR in 2013 with Rodgers was 17.3. It could well be that with Rodgers playing, the running game bolstered by Lacy did force teams to play differently. With a full year of Rodgers and Lacy, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jordy rival his 2011 performance.

I would expect Jordy to sign a contract averaging 9-10 million. Brandon Marshall of the bears just signed an extension this year averaging 10.

Brandon494
07-08-2014, 11:07 AM
That's an interesting point about Nelson getting deep. I wonder if its him (athletically), the DBs playing off or that he is simply asked to do different things?

I would compare him to Jennings though, more than Driver, when it comes to his contract. He is probably shooting for something at least one step below the top tier, at least by his numbers. While I think he is campaigning for an aggressive Packer offer, I can't see him asking for Vincent Jackson money. And I can't see Ted paying it.

The main reason you are no longer seeing Nelson going deep is because he is now being covered by #1 and #2 CBs instead of being in single coverage against #3/#4 CBs like in the past.

pbmax
07-08-2014, 11:55 AM
The main reason you are no longer seeing Nelson going deep is because he is now being covered by #1 and #2 CBs instead of being in single coverage against #3/#4 CBs like in the past.

Not sure I buy that. When Jennings, Neslon and Jones are on the field (after Jordy took the #2 job for good in 2011) do you think he was seeing CB #3?

pbmax
07-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Does anyone have contract numbers for the top ten receivers? Like Joe I could see him at the bottom of that class.

Joemailman
07-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Does anyone have contract numbers for the top ten receivers? Like Joe I could see him at the bottom of that class.

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/wide-receiver/limit-25/

This link is for average salary over the course of the contract. You can also get base salary from drop down menu.

Brandon494
07-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Not sure I buy that. When Jennings, Neslon and Jones are on the field (after Jordy took the #2 job for good in 2011) do you think he was seeing CB #3?

Jordy didn't break out until that 2011 season, that year we were stacked on offense. Teams had to worry about Jennings and Finley first with other weapons like Nelson, Jones, and Driver getting good match ups especially in those 5 wide sets. I'm pretty sure Jordy was going up against the#3 CB at least half his snaps that season.

pbmax
07-08-2014, 12:35 PM
They might have been worried about Finley and not doubling Nelson. But Finley wasn't being covered by #1 or #2 CBs.

pbmax
07-08-2014, 12:39 PM
As for Joe's salary list, I would find it pleasant if he got exactly Jennings money.

Brandon494
07-08-2014, 12:46 PM
They might have been worried about Finley and not doubling Nelson. But Finley wasn't being covered by #1 or #2 CBs.

Obviously max ;-)

Was talking about getting single coverage over the top.

Brandon494
07-08-2014, 12:47 PM
As for Joe's salary list, I would find it pleasant if he got exactly Jennings money.

He won't get that much, I see him signing around 8M.

pbmax
07-08-2014, 01:05 PM
Obviously max ;-)

Was talking about getting single coverage over the top.

Yes, but that hasn't stopped Jones and Rodgers trying to go deep even against Cover 2 man which features a safety to help on both sides.

I tend to think Nelson has been asked to run a slightly different set of routes now that he is the #1 with no Jennings. That, plus the back shoulder throw probably have reduced his deep game.

Brandon494
07-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Yes, but that hasn't stopped Jones and Rodgers trying to go deep even against Cover 2 man which features a safety to help on both sides.

I tend to think Nelson has been asked to run a slightly different set of routes now that he is the #1 with no Jennings. That, plus the back shoulder throw probably have reduced his deep game.

James Jones didn't have the speed to beat CBs though, neither does Boykin. Thats why I'm hoping Janis can make the 53 because I can see him playing a similar role to what Nelson played early in his career.

pbmax
07-08-2014, 02:02 PM
James Jones didn't have the speed to beat CBs though, neither does Boykin. Thats why I'm hoping Janis can make the 53 because I can see him playing a similar role to what Nelson played early in his career.

OK, but Jones still regularly got behind them, whether it was route discipline, technique, size, or scheme fakeout. He just tended to drop the over the shoulder ones.

Boykin hasn't run that route much, I agree.

run pMc
07-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Did JJ have what they call deceptive deep speed? Not sure, but I recall them trying that throw to him. If Janis plays to his timed speed he'd be a load for a CB to cover deep. I hope he pans out for GB but think it will be a while before we know. Hard to expect a rookie from DII to do more than fight for one of the final roster spots.

Jordy is worth keeping even if he's nearing 30. He can play anywhere, and played well with a parade of backup QB's throwing to him. The answer to the $13M cap space question is pretty simple: sign Jordy and Cobb. They'll sign one midseason and let the other play out the contract and try to sign them with what cap space is left.

Brandon494
07-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Did JJ have what they call deceptive deep speed? Not sure, but I recall them trying that throw to him. If Janis plays to his timed speed he'd be a load for a CB to cover deep. I hope he pans out for GB but think it will be a while before we know. Hard to expect a rookie from DII to do more than fight for one of the final roster spots.

Jordy is worth keeping even if he's nearing 30. He can play anywhere, and played well with a parade of backup QB's throwing to him. The answer to the $13M cap space question is pretty simple: sign Jordy and Cobb. They'll sign one midseason and let the other play out the contract and try to sign them with what cap space is left.

Yea I don't see him making any impact this year besides on special teams, I do believe he'll make the 53 man roster though. I guy who will really step up this year at WR is Davante Adams, I see him taking the #3 spot from Boykin sometime this season.

vince
07-08-2014, 06:38 PM
To be perfectly honest I don't put a premium on either one. Both are great players and better men but neither are deep threats or red zone monsters who get paid the big bucks. Jordy used to be but its been a few seasons since I've seen him blow by a DB and catch one over his shoulder. He's already made that Driver type transition where he's just so good at everything else he can afford to age.
I think some of you guys are missing it on Nelson. It don't matter if he's the 10th or 100th most "talented" receiver. Some guys get it fed to them more (which isn't Rodgers MO), but he's Top 1 when you look at efficiency and effectiveness with his opportunities.

Chalk it up to being "pretty good," "Top 10 talent", chemistry with the QB or whatever Madden rating you want to compare him to others on. None of it changes the facts when it comes to getting it done.

Jordy Nelson 2013 Sampler

Jordy "Blows by a DB and Catches One Over His Shoulder" for 6 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000261381/Rodgers-to-Nelson-for-a-64-yard-TD-pass-and-catch)

5 Bears Can't Get Jordy Down (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2000000306836/QB-Rodgers-to-WR-Nelson-34-yd-pass)

How to Make a Double Move (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2000000306632/QB-Rodgers-to-WR-Nelson-32-yd-pass]Tim Jennings Can't Hang with Jordy[/url]

Nelson Makes Cowboy Look Silly

Nelson Too Physical

[url="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d825978ca/Jordy-Nelson-stiff-arms-for-six)

Jordy Makes Viking Look Ill (http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Nelson-stiff-arms-his-way-to-the-end-zone/05dfedea-b4ad-4cba-a808-338bf8aba3d3)

Joemailman
07-08-2014, 06:46 PM

I think Jordy gets signed before the season starts. They'll wait and make sure Cobb is the same player he was before the broken leg before offering him a big extension.