PDA

View Full Version : WR Battle

Patler
06-17-2014, 04:51 AM
I think the fight for roster spots among WRs is going to be very, very interesting.

Forget about Nelson, Cobb and Adams who will be on the roster absent injuries. Probably Boykin, too, based on his experience alone. Boykin is the third most experienced WR, but certainly can not take it for granted that he will make the team.

Which of the others will make a move to secure roster spots?

Harper - I think many fans are dismissing him too easily. Obviously, 2013 did not turn out for him the way he would have liked, but he brings a few things to the table that are interesting, to say the least. He had the talent to be a 4th round pick just last year. Neither Seattle nor SF gave up on him, Seattle had him on their PS squad, and the story was SF wanted to get him to theirs after their injury picture at WR cleared up and he was released. Big, physical guy who seems to have his focus right. Interesting article about him today:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/chris-harper-ready-to-muscle-his-way-into-packers-receiver-corps-b99290703z1-263308181.html

Abbrederis is a survivor who finds a way, but can he stay healthy and in one piece? Janis is an intriguing combination of size and speed who was dominant at a lower level of college ball. Can he make the transition?. Either or both could push hard for a roster spot.

Dorsey, Gillette and White are probably the longest shots to make the roster, but have interesting stories as well; and Gillette and White were fighters last year. Dorsey didn't have much opportunity.

Boykin seems like a virtual lock to make the roster, but if Adams ascends to the #3 WR spot early, Boykin at #4 could be vulnerable to the higher potentials of some of the others.

I think training camp and preseason games will be very interesting for WRs.

bobblehead
06-17-2014, 06:50 AM
I speculate that they keep six; Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Boykin, Harper, Abbrederis (return guy). I think Janis won't see much time in preseason games because the plan is to practice squad him. He could shock them and overwhelm enough to beat out Harper or Abbrederis, but its not the plan at this point.

vince
06-17-2014, 06:54 AM
Agreed. The bottom of the list there is filled with guys who haven't proven a thing but ooze potential.

I think Harper brings a unique physicality along with some explosiveness that'll earn him a spot. I even think they'll have some things in the playbook for him against certain teams who are either too slow at LB or a little too small at DB. He should have some ST value too with his stregth/speed combination.

Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Boykin
Harper

Then I'd say Abberderis has the best shot of making the team because of his reliability, versatility to play outside or inside and special teams value but he needs to get stronger.

I think that unless the other guys really make a case for not being able to be let go in camp and preseason, the odds are against them. Janis would appear to have the highest upside among the rest. Practice squad to develop for him and the same for Dorsey. Gillette's a camp body and I'd say the new influx pushes White out.

One or more of these guys may well get claimed by another team and that's a good thing because the guys ahead of them are both young and talented. I read somewhere that Cobb is only a couple months older than Abberderis.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Abberderis or Janis come down with a late camp injury that puts them on IR and allows them to work out and learn this year while still being protected.

mraynrand
06-17-2014, 06:55 AM
That's a good competition set up there. White and Abbers both should pray to the god of skinny punks; whoever he favors will make the team - I'm betting Abbers due to football smarts, but that's just what I hear - may be propaganda. I see them trying to hide Janis and Cleveland will eventually get him. That leave Boykin/Harper - Boykin gets it unless he doesn't show steady progress from last year. Preseason football will be exciting this year.

pbmax
06-17-2014, 08:26 AM
Even if he does not stand out enough to get reps as a starter, Abracadabra will be a favorite for the last spot because of his returning. But he will need to be healthy for all of camp.

woodbuck27
06-17-2014, 08:47 AM
That's a good competition set up there. White and Abbers both should pray to the god of skinny punks; whoever he favors will make the team - I'm betting Abbers due to football smarts, but that's just what I hear - may be propaganda. I see them trying to hide Janis and Cleveland will eventually get him. That leave Boykin/Harper - Boykin gets it unless he doesn't show steady progress from last year. Preseason football will be exciting this year.

Respectfully.... your post is confusing.

"White and Abbers both should pray to the god of skinny punks" mraynrand

Why?

Neither WR's Myles White nor Jared Abbrederis are skinny in terms of "the Real World" and skinny and Ted Thompson doesn't place punks on the Green Bay Packers Roster!?

http://www.packers.com/team/players.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Abbrederis

Jared Abbrederis is 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m) Weight: 195 lb (88 kg)

WR Myles White maybe listed lighter (6'-0" and 182 lbs) than what I thought he was reported as weighing after an approx. 10 lb. weight gain this off season (Note: Check this as a fact?) .

Note: Rookie WR prospect Jeff Janis is appreciably bigger at 6' - 3 " and 219 lbs. WR Chris Harper is a chunk at 6' - 1 " and 223 lbs.

Pugger
06-17-2014, 08:48 AM
Abracadabra will prob make the team as a returner but I hope he can bulk up some. HE looks rather slight compared to Janis. JJ has a ton of potential too. It will be fun to see him in preseason games this summer. If he shows anything it might be difficult to stash him on the PS.

woodbuck27
06-17-2014, 09:11 AM
http://www.vavel.com/en-us/nfl/350531-packers-draft-thoughts-offense.html

A look back at the recent draft and the packers thoughts on offense and WR.

Green Bay Packers Draft Thoughts: Offense

14-05-2014

A quick look at details of the 5 offensive picks taken in the 2014 NFL Draft, and a potential best case and worst case scenario for each player.

Guiness
06-17-2014, 10:15 AM
You're correct Woody, White is reported to have put on 10lbs. That's not the kind of thing that will get updated during the offseason, if at all.

I also think that Boykin is vulnerable if Adams can challenge him for the #3 spot. At 6'1" 212 (Adams) vs 6'2" 218 (Boykin) they seem to be a similar size, although I'm not sure what their builds are like.

Someone might sneak in as a returner, Micah Hyde did both duties for a lot of last year, I wonder if that's what they want him doing?

run pMc
06-17-2014, 10:39 AM
I really like Harper and think he's got potential, but he's behind Myles White at this moment IMO. White's actually played live snaps and the team likes him...plus he supposedly has deep speed.
If the lightbulb goes on for Harper he could pass him up though.

Agree it's a lock that Jordy, Cobb, Boykin, and Adams make the roster. I think they try to stash Janis on the PS. If Abbrederis can be a PR/KR and stay healthy he sticks.

With the way injuries have hit this team, it's almost a lock that 1 or 2 WR won't make it out of camp healthy.

I think they keep 6 if somebody besides Jordy/Cobb returns kicks and punts. If they discover someone like Demetri Goodson can do the KR/PR job, or the TE's are lights out they might keep 5.
I'm thinking that's unlikely and they keep 6 WR: Jordy, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, and two of: Abbrederis, Harper, White.

Gillette might make the PS, but I'm not expecting much from him.
Dorsey's got size, speed, and a year in the system but I don't know if he's any good or even better than White or Harper.

Am really hoping Adams can show he belongs and by midseason is pushing Boykin for #3 WR snaps. I like that there's a lot of competition and with how they restocked the young talent at WR. Bennett's a good coach and will get them ready to be weapons for Rodgers.

Zool
06-17-2014, 10:44 AM
You're correct Woody, White is reported to have put on 10lbs. That's not the kind of thing that will get updated during the offseason, if at all.

Tommy Boy reference

pbmax
06-17-2014, 10:56 AM
Well, I put this in the wrong thread, so here it is again.

Harper, unsurprisingly, thinks he has a serious chance. Seattle wanted him back on PS. 49ers swooped in and wanted him to play TE and H-back because they were thin at the position.

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&id=14451&is_corp=1

Patler
06-17-2014, 11:33 AM
10 pounds will help White, but he needs to use it differently, too. Last year in the few snaps that he played, on several occasions DBs threw him around like a rag doll.

My guesses?
- White is released in the first cutdown.
- Abbrederis does not make it out of camp healthy.
- Harper makes it as one of the top 5.
- Janis is signed to the PS, but lasts only a couple weeks before someone else signs him.
- Dorsey is also signed to the PS.
- Gillette is released at the end of camp, and comes back to the PS when Janis signs somewhere else.

Fritz
06-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Unless Abbrederis shows a whole lot of flash and dash in camp as a kick and punt returner, I don't see him making the team. He's undersized and underathletic. Why keep him and let a guy with way more upside (Janis) be exposed on the practice squad?

Dorsey needs to have a great and consistent training camp. I think White is too thin, Gillette a camp body.

That means for me it's Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Boykin, Harper, Janis.

Smidgeon
06-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Unless Abbrederis shows a whole lot of flash and dash in camp as a kick and punt returner, I don't see him making the team. He's undersized and underathletic. Why keep him and let a guy with way more upside (Janis) be exposed on the practice squad?

Dorsey needs to have a great and consistent training camp. I think White is too thin, Gillette a camp body.

I like this list better, but I don't think it'll happen. I think it will be Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, Abracadabra, and Harper/White.

I want Janis like I wanted Charles Johnson last year. And I sort of like White, but Patler's well pointed out his deficiencies. And I'm surprised Gillette even made it to minicamp this year.

Guiness
06-17-2014, 01:03 PM

Janis might have better measurables, but Abbrederis went 2 rounds earlier. It might just be because he's from a small school, but TT still picked Abbrederis first.

Brandon494
06-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Janis might have better measurables, but Abbrederis went 2 rounds earlier. It might just be because he's from a small school, but TT still picked Abbrederis first.

A late 5th rounder and 7th rounder doesn't mean much, the spot will go to the better player. We still have to see if Abby can handle the punishment of the NFL.

Patler
08-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Summary of the battle after week 1:

- The concerns many of us had for Abbredaris were justified after only a few days, as he is apparently out for the year.

- Boykin seems to be stepping up, and is said to be the clear leader for the #3 spot.

- Harper, who had a strong mini-camp, has had a disappointing first week.

- Janus didn't come to camp because he was roofing a house. (Something about "shingles".)

Anything else of significance in the WR battle?

Willard
08-02-2014, 04:59 PM
It seems significant that we hear more about our 5th and even our no-show 7th rd pick than we do about Adams! I was hoping he was going to see the field a lot this season (ie 30 catches; 500 yds). But I have heard very little about him. Any progress reports out there? Who does he play like?

Joemailman
08-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Summary of the battle after week 1:

- The concerns many of us had for Abbredaris were justified after only a few days, as he is apparently out for the year.

- Boykin seems to be stepping up, and is said to be the clear leader for the #3 spot.

- Harper, who had a strong mini-camp, has had a disappointing first week.

- Janus didn't come to camp because he was roofing a house. (Something about "shingles".)

Myles White has looked good at WR, but muffed 3 punts the other day.

Dorsey has been standing out on ST units. Don't forget about the importance of ST on those final roster spots.

Brandon494
08-02-2014, 06:01 PM
Gillett catching on, Harper off to slow start

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2014/07/31/insider-gillett-catching-harper-misses-chance/13437613/

Article also mention Dorsey and White...

The Packers must see something they like in second-year receiver Kevin Dorsey's blocking ability considering he lined up on the front line of the first-team kickoff return unit. He also fielded kickoffs with the second team.

Punt-catching remains an adventure for receiver Myles White, who muffed another one Thursday after dropping three consecutive attempts during Wednesday's practice.

Can't wait to see Janis hit the practice field, I think hes going to have fans jumping on the bandwagon once they see him play.

Patler
08-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Can't wait to see Janis hit the practice field, I think hes going to have fans jumping on the bandwagon once they see him play.

I've been looking forward to it too, especially if he can return punts/kicks as well. Big, strong and fast with a proven record of dominating at lower levels. I was very disappointed that he had to miss the first week.

Patler
08-02-2014, 06:26 PM
It seems significant that we hear more about our 5th and even our no-show 7th rd pick than we do about Adams! I was hoping he was going to see the field a lot this season (ie 30 catches; 500 yds). But I have heard very little about him. Any progress reports out there? Who does he play like?

Couple things I read all indicated he looks fine, just hasn't made any noticeable plays good or bad. With nothing but practices, that's fine with me. If he isn't making mistakes, he is ahead of schedule at this point.

texaspackerbacker
08-02-2014, 06:30 PM
A lot depends on how the Abbrederis thing turns out, of course. I had him pegged as the most likely fifth, with pretty much all of those mentioned in the running for the sixth spot. If he is, in fact, out of the picture, I see Dorsey as the early leader for what would be probably two spots. Otherwise, in approximate order, I think it's White, Harper, Jaris, Gillett, and Sheppard (the new guy). I base that on them sticking with Dorsey through the various problems last year and the fact that he is getting a lot of special teams work now.

Joemailman
08-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Couple things I read all indicated he looks fine, just hasn't made any noticeable plays good or bad. With nothing but practices, that's fine with me. If he isn't making mistakes, he is ahead of schedule at this point.

Adams had with best practice yesterday, with a couple TD's from Flynn. He'll be one to watch tonight.

Guiness
08-02-2014, 09:46 PM
Just say no to the muffed punts White! We don't want to see another Ross back there!

Pugger
08-03-2014, 09:50 AM
A lot depends on how the Abbrederis thing turns out, of course. I had him pegged as the most likely fifth, with pretty much all of those mentioned in the running for the sixth spot. If he is, in fact, out of the picture, I see Dorsey as the early leader for what would be probably two spots. Otherwise, in approximate order, I think it's White, Harper, Jaris, Gillett, and Sheppard (the new guy). I base that on them sticking with Dorsey through the various problems last year and the fact that he is getting a lot of special teams work now.

Jered has revealed he has an ACL tear and is out for the season. I"m gonna assume we will put him on IR later on. His injury could be a blessing for both him and the others. Abby can now bulk up after his knee heals and there now isn't as many guys vying for one or two spots on the roster.

run pMc
08-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Myles White has looked good at WR, but muffed 3 punts the other day.

Dorsey has been standing out on ST units. Don't forget about the importance of ST on those final roster spots.

yeah, from what I've been reading Dorsey has practiced well and is running with the 1st teamers on ST, so if that continues you have to think he'll make the cut. I think White is favored over Harper to make it. Someone is going to have to catch punts cleanly...Hyde? Don't think they can put Cobb back there.

Joemailman
08-03-2014, 03:38 PM
Right now Cobb, Hyde and T-Will are their most reliable punt returners. MM would certainly like to find a non-starter who can do it. My hunch is it will end up being Hyde.

3irty1
08-04-2014, 12:31 PM
I'd like to know more about Dorsey. He barely had anything to show at Maryland but was taken in the 6th of a very deep draft class just a handful of picks after that Grand Valley State WR we lost to the Bengals. I have no idea what his strengths or weaknesses are.

Patler
08-05-2014, 06:32 AM

Adams seems to be progressing. This from JSO:

■ Rodgers is getting more comfortable with Davante Adams. Adams read tight coverage by Shields and came back for a crisp back-shoulder completion.

Willard
08-05-2014, 07:28 AM

Good to hear. I can't wait to see him in the preseason games, although I wonder if he gets on the field much with AR.

Zool
08-05-2014, 08:03 AM
Good to hear. I can't wait to see him in the preseason games, although I wonder if he gets on the field much with AR.

3rd week he should see some time with the 1s for sure.

denverYooper
08-05-2014, 08:20 AM

That's interesting. That's a fairly advanced play for a rook.

call_me_ishmael
08-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Davante Adams is gonna be a player.

Patler
08-06-2014, 03:27 PM
[B]

...and he did today:

http://blog.packers.com/2014/08/06/jeff-janis-excites-crowd-with-one-handed-touchdown-catch/

The rookie from Saginaw Valley State beat cornerback Sam Shields to make a one-handed touchdown catch of a Scott Tolzien pass in the back-left corner of the end zone in Wednesday’s practice... His catch got the loudest cheer to that point in practice.

Not to be out done, Adams had a one handed catch later:

Another rookie wide receiver, second-round pick Davante Adams, immediately followed Janis’ catch with a one-handed grab of a Matt Flynn touchdown pass.

Cheesehead Craig
08-06-2014, 03:47 PM
We could have a hell of a WR corps this year.

Patler
08-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Yup, soon we will all be saying:

Greg who?
Donald who?
James who?????

Well, maybe not "Donald who?" as we will never forget smiling DD!!

Joemailman
08-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Yup, soon we will all be saying:

Greg who?
Donald who?
James who?????

Well, maybe not "Donald who?" as we will never forget smiling DD!!

When he comes back to play for the Vikings, we'll say "We'll never forget you Daniel."

smuggler
08-06-2014, 05:01 PM
I really liked Jennings, but he did say that stupid shit about being brainwashed by GB...

Eh, he was still a very good playrr for us for many years.

red
08-06-2014, 05:28 PM
We could have a hell of a WR corps this year.

this year theres going to be some learning "bumps"

however, if we resign cobb, we could be 5 or 6 deep with very talented guys like we were in drivers last year, for the next 3 years or so

Patler
08-12-2014, 12:08 PM
With Nelson out, Janis continues to make up for time missed early in camp. From the Monday practice, per GBPG:

Behind Randall Cobb, rookie Jeff Janis was the only youngster to stand out. Days after a phenomenal red-zone catch over Sam Shields, Janis made a brilliant adjustment on a go-route to catch a deep pass over Casey Hayward in single coverage.

While Kevin Dorsey, Myles White and Chris Harper have each had their moments in camp, drops and inconsistency have quelled their momentum. Dorsey dropped another pass Monday and White allowed a touchdown pass to sneak through his mitts in the final 2-minute session.

He seems to be making plays against as good as GB has.

RashanGary
08-17-2014, 12:13 PM
Saw that TD play by Jeff Janis on YouTube. He made that safety look silly. There's no way he should have been able to get that corner in the nfl. He's fast, and it shows up on the field. I'm gonna be watching him. Unlike some of these other fast players, he was also a dominant player at his level, he's been flashing in practice and now he's had it show up a little bit on tape in the preseason. We'll see, but that was cool to watch. There's way too much (this guy is fast, therefore he's great" bullshit on the internet, but his might be a case of this guy is great AND is fast. I hope so!

Patler
08-17-2014, 03:23 PM
Janis helped himself a lot by looking completely comfortable fielding punts.

smuggler
08-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Very optimistic about Janis. My dad usually doesnt go crazy about young guys, but he's all-in on Janis.

red
08-17-2014, 05:24 PM
i think janis might have locked up that #5 spot

nelson, cobb, boykins, adams, janis

the question becomes, do we keep 6, and if so, who's #6? and how many of those guys can we get on the PS?

my guess is white would be the front runner for #6, but i don't think we'll keep 6

Joemailman
08-17-2014, 05:28 PM
i think janis might have locked up that #5 spot

nelson, cobb, boykins, adams, janis

the question becomes, do we keep 6, and if so, who's #6? and how many of those guys can we get on the PS?

my guess is white would be the front runner for #6, but i don't think we'll keep 6

For the first time in the roster prediction thread, I am not predicting they will keep 6. I agree that Janis is the 5th. I think Dorsey goes to PS if eligible.

HarveyWallbangers
08-17-2014, 07:07 PM
For the first time in the roster prediction thread, I am not predicting they will keep 6. I agree that Janis is the 5th. I think Dorsey goes to PS if eligible.

Agreed.

pbmax
08-18-2014, 09:17 PM
Janis had a bad route today and got to converse with #12 one on one. On the plus side, he was with the first team offense.

Adams and Boykins has especially good days. Myles White toasted Shields deep.

smuggler
08-18-2014, 11:10 PM
Gotta think if there is a 6th itd be Dorsey based on talent alone. That said, we already have seen Dorsey make it through waivers once (2013)...

3irty1
08-19-2014, 07:04 AM
I'm sold on Janis but the WR that had the best day on Saturday was Myles White IMO. He'll be a tough cut. Right now I think I'd keep both and go with 6. Its easier to justify since they both have special teams value.