PDA

View Full Version : Sam Gash and James Starks

pbmax
06-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Article is supposed to be about Starks and his new deal and health. Let's get that out of the way first:

a. New Deal, happy not to have to go to Pittsburgh
b. Yes, he is healthy but no yoga yet.

More intriguing, the quotes from new running backs coach Sam Gash. He sounds like a cut above most running backs coaches in how he is able to describe how he wants his runners to finish their runs (punish the defender but don't focus on that so much that you lose your balance) and his take on the shot Starks delivered to Brandon Merriweather versus Washington (he liked it not simply as retribution or for its violence, but that he delivered the shot and was able to keep running).

Maybe a guy to watch. If I was a vet RB coach who maybe wanted to expand his resume, Green Bay might not be a bad place to be given its passing offense and M3's willingness to put coaches in charge of positions they haven't played.

"They[other successful RBs he has been with] always stayed on their feet and were in control of their bodies — and moving. I think that has some correlation to being in control of you and stopping all those little nagging injuries."

"Just at the end of runs," Gash said. "Instead of when you're getting ready to hit a guy and really hitting him and going to the ground, good athletes stay on their feet. So you talk to guys about having the balance — instead of hitting, giving a guy everything you've got and going down, give him what you've got with a little different technique. Stay level."

When this 2013 Week 2 run [Merriweather hit] is brought up to Gash, he cuts in. Starks stayed on his feet that run, he notes. He was "hitting on the rise." Hit a tackler "on the rise," he said, and that's what happens.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/james-starks-no-1-goal-stay-healthy-this-year-b99295689z1-264069401.html

woodbuck27
06-24-2014, 05:13 AM
Article is supposed to be about Starks and his new deal and health. Let's get that out of the way first:

a. New Deal, happy not to have to go to Pittsburgh
b. Yes, he is healthy but no yoga yet.

More intriguing, the quotes from new running backs coach Sam Gash. He sounds like a cut above most running backs coaches in how he is able to describe how he wants his runners to finish their runs (punish the defender but don't focus on that so much that you lose your balance) and his take on the shot Starks delivered to Brandon Merriweather versus Washington (he liked it not simply as retribution or for its violence, but that he delivered the shot and was able to keep running).

Maybe a guy to watch. If I was a vet RB coach who maybe wanted to expand his resume, Green Bay might not be a bad place to be given its passing offense and M3's willingness to put coaches in charge of positions they haven't played.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/james-starks-no-1-goal-stay-healthy-this-year-b99295689z1-264069401.html

For a RB... staying on your feet at the end of a play is very good:

That demonstrates excellent lower body strength and prevents inadvertent piling on injuries.

More importantly and realistically that usually means a long run and a TOUCHDOWN !

pbmax
06-24-2014, 08:11 AM
For a RB... staying on your feet at the end of a play is very good:

That demonstrates excellent lower body strength and prevents inadvertent piling on injuries.

More importantly and realistically that usually means a long run and a TOUCHDOWN !

The other thing is that it might apply to Lacy more than Starks overall. And I think that is good.

Fritz
06-30-2014, 12:28 PM
I'm guessing that whether the Packers keep four (Lacy, Starks, Harris, Kuhn) or five (one of those Undrafted Free Agents) depends in part on injury, and in part whether one of the UDFA's plays better special teams than, say, Ryan Taylor or Jake Stoneburner.