PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers say Packers "bigger, more physically intimidating"

wist43
06-26-2014, 09:42 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24596185/aaron-rodgers-packers-bigger-more-physically-intimidating

Rodgers said he used to walk out on the field and feel like the Packers were a JV team, lol... at least I wasn't the only one that saw it ;)

I wouldn't say we're physically intimidating - but TT has made progress at getting bigger and tougher - one of my long-time gripes about the Packer philosophy.

It's been painful watching them get pushed around and physically dominated at the LOS these past few years. Some of that is self-inflicted of course, as Capers is an idiot, but with the added size it's possible even Capers might not be able to fuck it up too bad.

I think we're poised to make a run if MM can stay on Capers ass. I don't expect Capers to move away from his beloved, mind-numbing 2-4, but with more size and more talent in the front six, maybe we'll be able to hold our own a little better - in spite of having Spraypainted Hair as our DC.

The team looks much, much better than it did in 2011.

red
06-26-2014, 10:15 AM
wait, i'm starting to get confused. wasn't it last year that we wanted to get smaller and faster? or did we not want to be smaller-faster

hoosier
06-26-2014, 10:32 AM
Bigger, stronger and faster. Before it was small, slow and weak.

wist43
06-26-2014, 10:40 AM
wait, i'm starting to get confused. wasn't it last year that we wanted to get smaller and faster? or did we not want to be smaller-faster

Are you hittin the bottle again Red?? We've been a finesse team for years... the Niners have kicked the shit out of us consistently. They punched us in the mouth, and all we could do was whine about it.

If it weren't for our excellent QB play, we wouldn't even be sniffing a winning record.

I don't like the idea of our defense being a function of our QB... I'd much rather see our defense as a stand-alone unit in their own right. Who says you can't win games 50-0, as opposed to losing 51-45??

I think we have the players to compete - the wild card is Capers. All those big, tough, high-round draft picks won't do any good standing on the sideline.

Freak Out
06-26-2014, 10:47 AM
When are any of us not hitting the bottle? :)

pbmax
06-26-2014, 01:55 PM
Given the draft class, I would bet the team is smaller this year. I think the QB is yammering about public perception.

Unless Tretter being taller than EDS counts as bigger as a team, the only physical addition is Peppers, who is also not bigger than the players he is replacing (assuming he replaces a DE on the roster like Jolly).

Zool
06-26-2014, 02:29 PM
What do he's sposed to say?

wist43
06-26-2014, 05:29 PM
What do he's sposed to say?

Well, from his own mouth he said we looked like a JV team compared to other teams - I didn't say that, he did.

Joemailman
06-26-2014, 05:31 PM
Given the draft class, I would bet the team is smaller this year. I think the QB is yammering about public perception.

Unless Tretter being taller than EDS counts as bigger as a team, the only physical addition is Peppers, who is also not bigger than the players he is replacing (assuming he replaces a DE on the roster like Jolly).

If you look at the players Rodgers mentioned, it would seem he's referring to length as much as weight. Peppers is 6-7, Rodgers 6-4, Hubbard 6-6, Jones 6-4 (tall for a Packer DE), Sherrod 6-6. All these guys are taller than the guys they would be replacing if they start.

pbmax
06-26-2014, 05:44 PM
If you look at the players Rodgers mentioned, it would seem he's referring to length as much as weight. Peppers is 6-7, Rodgers 6-4, Hubbard 6-6, Jones 6-4 (tall for a Packer DE), Sherrod 6-6. All these guys are taller than the guys they would be replacing if they start.

He could just be talking about his tackles from last year and getting Bulaga back as well. Neither tackle was over 6' 4".

gbgary
06-26-2014, 06:34 PM
let's hope it's true.

texaspackerbacker
06-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Last season and the last few seasons, way too much of the size was concentrated in a few fat pigs. It absolutely is possible to get "smaller" total weight-wise, yet bigger and stronger, not to mention more skilled and athletic in several key positions. Just having Pickett gone and only having one oversize unmobile player - Raji - on the field at a time will help a lot - addition by subtraction. Combine that with getting Peppers as well as hopefully more downs from D. Jones, Daniels, maybe Worthy and/or Boyd will help a lot.

Of course, maybe Rodgers was just talking about his O-Line and the prospect of Sherrod contributing.

I know he is Aaron Rodgers, and can get away with saying a lot, but he really ought to be just a little bit tactful about not being perceived as insulting teammates, especially O-Linemen.

bobblehead
06-27-2014, 01:05 AM
When are any of us not hitting the bottle? :)

Tuesdays

RashanGary
06-27-2014, 08:19 AM
Last season and the last few seasons, way too much of the size was concentrated in a few fat pigs. It absolutely is possible to get "smaller" total weight-wise, yet bigger and stronger, not to mention more skilled and athletic in several key positions. Just having Pickett gone and only having one oversize unmobile player - Raji - on the field at a time will help a lot - addition by subtraction. Combine that with getting Peppers as well as hopefully more downs from D. Jones, Daniels, maybe Worthy and/or Boyd will help a lot.

Of course, maybe Rodgers was just talking about his O-Line and the prospect of Sherrod contributing.

I know he is Aaron Rodgers, and can get away with saying a lot, but he really ought to be just a little bit tactful about not being perceived as insulting teammates, especially O-Linemen.

Nice post, tex

Patler
06-27-2014, 09:02 AM
He could just be talking about his tackles from last year and getting Bulaga back as well. Neither tackle was over 6' 4".

Yup. It was reported last year that the Packers had the smallest pair of starting OTs in the league, with each of the B-boys being among the smallest few starters. With Bulaga, that changes significantly, and if Sherrod happens to earn a spot, they will tend toward the larger group of starters. From the picture posted of Bakhtiari next to Sherrod, it's a striking difference. I expect a comparison of Barclay to Bulaga would be almost as significant, because while Sherrod may be a bit taller than Bulaga, Bulaga is more massive-looking.

wist43
06-27-2014, 11:23 AM

Pickett and Raji were valuable players, they were just misused - like everyone else in the front (six) seven.

If we played a 3-4, where the strength of the front seven is supposed to be invested in LB's, those guys would be very valuable. But dunderdummy doesn't play much 3-4 at all, of course he's always playing a 2-4, so our entire run defense is dependent upon 2 guys - that's simply asking too much of them.

Add to that the fact that we are uber-weak at ILB, and you have a recipe for disaster - which of course the defense has been since 2011.

Since TT has invested in a slew of 4-3 defensive linemen, and cares next to nothing about his linebackers - it is incumbent upon Capers to make it work. Of course that would mean playing a lot more 3-3 and 4-2; but, results be damned, dunderdummy refuses to use the players he's been given according to their strengths. He blows smoke about putting players in the best position to be successful, then does nothing but play that idiotic 2-4 down after down, while the high-round draft picks he's been given on the DL stand on the sidelines.

I thought we had decent front seven talent last year, but Capers misused them all. If he does it again this year - we can only hope he is finally fired.

I've spelled this out before - here are the players this year: Matthews, Peppers, D.Jones, Daniels, Perry, Neal, Neal, Worthy, Boyd, Bradford, and Thorton (I don't include B.Jones and Hawk, b/c they (stupidly) never come off the field).

Matthews is constant when healthy, and as I said B. Jones and Hawk never come off the field. So that leaves you with 3 positions to fill between 10 players - who's gonna be standing on the sidelines??

Not resigning Pickett might actually be a good thing, b/c now we don't have any players on the roster that can 2-gap - it will force, at least you would think it would force dunderdummy to play more odd fronts. If dunderdummy tries to play the 2-4 in run/pass situations, we will be giving up about 8,000 yds/game on the ground.

We'll see. I like the talent, but as I said, I liked the talent last year too, and dunderdummy managed to fuck it up.

Just Jeff
06-27-2014, 11:57 AM
I don't know. When you spend more time on your ass than any other QB over the last three years, its hard to be respectful.

There I go trolling again.

RashanGary
06-27-2014, 01:28 PM
I don't know. When you spend more time on your ass than any other QB over the last three years, its hard to be respectful.

There I go trolling again.

You probably just weren't listened to enough as a child and need to be heard, that's why you repeat the same tired point over and over. You're forgiven :)

pbmax
06-27-2014, 02:42 PM
He doesn't seem bothered by his protection. He feels safe enough to wait longer than any other NFCN QB in the pocket.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/77198/mailbag-time-in-pocket-for-all-nfcn-qbs

Perhaps in the future, if he starts to check down more frequently or pulls a Favre and throws earlier and earlier as he ages, then perhaps we'll detect some frustration.

Zool
06-27-2014, 02:44 PM
You probably just weren't listened to enough as a child and need to be heard, that's why you repeat the same tired point over and over. You're forgiven :)

Well......prob not forgiven....ignored?

pbmax
06-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Here is one that compares him to Brees and does a decent, play by play illustration of how Rodgers has a pretty high variance over the time he waits to throw.

http://jerseyal.com/2012/10/03/packing-the-stats-release-times-of-brees-rodgers/

denverYooper
06-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Touchdown to checkdown, baby.