PDA

View Full Version : Real football is back, 2014!

Upnorth
06-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Long time no posts but I'm excited for real football again.

Opening weekend kicks off with Toronto at Winnipeg. A game I thought Toronto would win, however Winnipeg is taking it to them right now.
Next up Saturday 3pm et is Montreal @ Calgary. Calgary thought they were the team to beat last year but were sent packing by the Riders. They will take out the frustration by rolling over Montreal.
Edmonton @ BC follows at 6 et. Has edmonton improved enough to come out of the cellar? Unfortunately for Guiness I don't think so.
Finally the best for last with Hamilton returning to the scene of the beat down in Regina Sunday @ 7pm et. Saskatchewan still has the best ol and QB, but lost the best rb (kory sheets to the raiders) and best wr (weston Dressler to kc). Can they over come? I think so.
Get your popcorn football fans it's opening weekend.
As an aside there were some good cfl articles on mmqb.si.com this week I encourage you to read.

Guiness
06-26-2014, 11:27 PM
Hiyo! Welcome back.

Don't know how much I can say about the Eskimos at this point...um, they signed Pat White:huh:
That's all I've got.

I'm going to have to watch the Bombers closely this year, with O'Shea coaching! Saw/met him way back in high school, and watched him from the sidelines in University, he was a force! Don't know how much he can do with that team though.

Upnorth
06-28-2014, 06:08 PM
Boy does edmontons oline need work

Upnorth
06-28-2014, 07:36 PM
Edmonton is getting better protection and it is showing, three drives, two tds.

Upnorth
06-28-2014, 08:02 PM
Calgary dominated most of game and edmonton with the upset. add in the Winnipeg win and the west is looking tough early. Congrats Guiness edmonton starts off solid (well after half time anyway)

Upnorth
06-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Riders dominated the game from start to finish last night, go Riders Go!

Upnorth
07-02-2014, 02:51 PM
So week two of teh CFL season kicks of with teh Ottawa Red Blacks going to Winnipeg Thurs At 8:30 ET. After last week Im picking Winnipeg.
On Friday the 4th BC goes to Montreal at 7 pm et. Im going BC
The double header finishes at 10 pm et with Hamilton going to Edmonton. Based on how well edmonton played and how horrible hamilton was I cant see Edmonton loosing.
Finishing the weekend games the Riders go to Toronto on Saturday the 5th at 3pm et. No doubt another Rider victory!

digitaldean
07-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Former Packer Brett Swain just joined the Riders I believe. Did Saskatchewan lose many good players to the expansion draft for the RedBlacks?

Upnorth
07-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Former Packer Brett Swain just joined the Riders I believe. Did Saskatchewan lose many good players to the expansion draft for the RedBlacks?

Not really, and defensively we might be better than last year. Loosing players to the nfl hurt way more. Swain is okay as a pick up but he is no Dressler. I will miss sheets but we should be good at running again. I was on vacation with my family the last 6 days so I missed the Riders game thank goodness. What a disappointment.

Guiness
07-09-2014, 12:09 AM
Not really, and defensively we might be better than last year. Loosing players to the nfl hurt way more. Swain is okay as a pick up but he is no Dressler. I will miss sheets but we should be good at running again. I was on vacation with my family the last 6 days so I missed the Riders game thank goodness. What a disappointment.

Close to 3K yards over his 2 seasons with the Riders, I guess they'll miss him!

I wonder why Jon Cornish never seems to get a sniff.

Upnorth
07-09-2014, 09:34 AM
Close to 3K yards over his 2 seasons with the Riders, I guess they'll miss him!

I wonder why Jon Cornish never seems to get a sniff.

With Cornish I think it maybe due to his being a backup the first 3 or so years in the CFL, but I agree he would make a good NFL back in todays enviroment, decent hands, above average blocker and can get to the second level quick.

Guiness
07-10-2014, 11:55 PM
Blue Bombers starting off with a 2-0 record. Ya, didn't see that coming. They beat the Red Blacks, who are a pretty unknown quantity, but also steamrolled the Argos pretty good. They've already scored more TDs than I thought they would all season!

Upnorth
07-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Winnipeg is looking way tougher than expected. What about your Eskimos? They are in a much better space than last year (I realize it was Ottawa but still looked good) .
I hope Toronto continues its dominance for one more week over Calgary this afternoon. I'm worried that BC will come in hungry to make up for last year's playoff game and also there start this year. At least the Riders won't be overlooking them this week.

woodbuck27
07-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Long time no posts but I'm excited for real football again.

Opening weekend kicks off with Toronto at Winnipeg. A game I thought Toronto would win, however Winnipeg is taking it to them right now.
Next up Saturday 3pm et is Montreal @ Calgary. Calgary thought they were the team to beat last year but were sent packing by the Riders. They will take out the frustration by rolling over Montreal.
Edmonton @ BC follows at 6 et. Has edmonton improved enough to come out of the cellar? Unfortunately for Guiness I don't think so.
Finally the best for last with Hamilton returning to the scene of the beat down in Regina Sunday @ 7pm et. Saskatchewan still has the best ol and QB, but lost the best rb (kory sheets to the raiders) and best wr (weston Dressler to kc). Can they over come? I think so.
Get your popcorn football fans it's opening weekend.
As an aside there were some good cfl articles on mmqb.si.com this week I encourage you to read.

Hey Upnorth !

Great to see your post man.

I hope your not affected by all the flooding out your way. My country place received some damage from hurricane Arthur but nothing more than downed trees and alot of debrees. Some New Brunswick Power customers will be without power through this weekend. it's amazing the destructive power of nature.

Have a super summer Upnorth ... and "YES" it's good to see the CFL back and all systems going. I havn't as yet heard how the Montreal Alouettes made out Vs the Winnepeg Blue Bombers past night. What a super night here for football. The weather has been awesome since Mae and I arrived in Quebec.

Upnorth
07-12-2014, 11:39 PM
Hey Upnorth !

I hope your not affected by all the flooding out your way. My country place received some damage from hurricane Arthur but nothing more than downed trees and alot of debrees. Some New Brunswick Power customers will be without power through this weekend. it's amazing the destructive power of nature.

Have a super summer Upnorth ... and "YES" it's good to see the CFL back and all systems going. I havn't as yet heard how the Montreal Alouettes made out Vs the Winnepeg Blue Bombers past night. What a super night here for football. The weather has been awesome since Mae and I arrived in Quebec.
Thanks for asking, and we are being affected. Have been without our phone since 30 June, the town lost its dam and two bridges. I ad 5 feet of water in my storage part of the basement and 6 inchesin the living part, but such is life. No one is hurt and that is the main thin.
Only bad thing right now is riders are playing poorly grrr

digitaldean
07-15-2014, 10:42 PM
Hey Upnorth !

Woody...sorry to say that the Als lost on a last second TD vs. Winnipeg. Just caught tail end of their game on Justin.TV last week.

They got a fumble from Winnipeg on a punt late in game and only mustered a FG out of it. Then the Bombers moved down the field and got the winning TD pass to their FB with less than 30 seconds left. Winnipeg now 3-0. Quite a change on how hapless they were last year.

Guiness
07-15-2014, 10:58 PM
O'Shea's got them playing really well in Winnipeg!

Upnorth
07-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Edmonton schooled winnipeg last night. I did not expect that at all. It was like Winnipeg thought they were the 2013 craptactular again.
Toronto goes into Ottawa for the first home game in Red Black history. Ill pick Ottawa for the upset
Hamilton goes to Calgary, and Calgary should win (unfortunatly)
Finally Montreal goes to BC, I'll go with BC in a match of equals.

Gods team has the bye week so I understand if this thread doesnt light up this weekend...

digitaldean
07-26-2014, 01:09 PM
What was the deal with the Eskimos fan that won $300K in a 50-50 raffle? Do they do this for every game?

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Good article from Peter King on the CFL.

Canadian Appreciation (http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/30/canada-week-peter-king-cfl/6/)

More than a few people said this to me: Saskatchewan is the Green Bay of the CFL—right down to the green colors. Just as Green Bay has tentacles into every state in the union, so too do the Riders in Canada. They consistently have a section or sections of visiting stadiums filled with their fans. It’s a tough crowd at home sometimes too. A couple of years ago, the best back in the league, Jon Cornish of the Stampeders, was getting ridden so hard that he mooned the crowd in section 28, traditionally the area of Mosaic Stadium with the toughest fans.

MadtownPacker
08-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Fucking Canadians.

pbmax
08-12-2014, 10:22 PM
Joe Buck is trembling in outrage to this day.

I miss rooting against Moss. I don't miss surrendering 137 yds per game to him though.