PDA

View Full Version : Mike McCarthy -- Good Guy

Noodle
06-27-2014, 01:28 AM
I was at a recent event where the Coach served as the MC for a Green Bay guy he apparently knew pretty well who was receiving an honor. I was stunned. Coach was awesome. Unbelievably funny, emotional at times (like I said, he knew the honoree pretty well), and as clever as any brit comic you can name (without the accent).

After his talk, he then stood patiently for a ton of pictures with fans. No, I didn't get one taken, as I didn't want to tire him out too much. Got to gameplan for the Hawks and Niners!

Bottom line: from their public appearances, we don't know these guys. They do what they have to do with the press. But we are mistaken if we think they are defined by their press appearances. I also feel good that the HC of my favorite team is, from what I saw, a great, funny, thoughtful, and sincere guy.

pbmax
06-27-2014, 08:20 AM
I wouldn't have expected him to be comfortable in that situation. Good to hear he handled it well. Sometimes his press conferences do give the opposite impression.

Pugger
06-27-2014, 08:21 AM
Our HC does fly under the radar nationally. I don't think he gets enough props for all he does.

pbmax
06-27-2014, 08:36 AM
He has had a few memorable lines:

“Every time we line up, we expect to win, period. And we didn't get it done tonight. I don't care what you guys think. We came here to win. We're nobody's underdog.”

"we don't care who or where we play - we'll play 'em in the parking lot"

"Why's it not going to be a distraction? Because we won't let it be a distraction"

Fritz
06-30-2014, 12:08 PM
He has had a few memorable lines:

“Every time we line up, we expect to win, period. And we didn't get it done tonight. I don't care what you guys think. We came here to win. We're nobody's underdog.”

"we don't care who or where we play - we'll play 'em in the parking lot"

"Why's it not going to be a distraction? Because we won't let it be a distraction"

Here's another one - McCarthy commenting on Bryan Bulaga's comeback:

“'Bryan’s done a lot of good things and he’s stronger,' said Packers coach Mike McCarthy.

'Bryan’s so consistent. He’s a very good worker, very diligent, very anal in his approach, and he’s the ultimate pro. I thought he had a very good offseason.'”

First time I've heard a heterosexual man refer to another heterosexual man using the word "anal" and mean it as a compliment.

Carolina_Packer
07-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Nice article on McCarthy in USA Today about his work with a children's hospital: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/07/05/packers-mccarthy-putting-down-roots-in-titletown/12249259/

Just Jeff
07-06-2014, 06:44 PM
Another great article in People about how MM is a better tipper than Warren Sapp.