PDA

View Full Version : "Greater Upside Than Aaron Rodgers"

Carolina_Packer
07-07-2014, 11:59 PM
...um, not so much. Here is a jsonline article about the former Packer QB: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/former-packers-second-round-pick-brian-brohm-keeps-dream-alive-in-cfl-b99305828z1-266139311.html

In 2008, drafted #56 overall with a pick we got from the Browns for the Corey Williams trade (what were the Packers thinking taking Brohm here, and what were the Browns thinking giving up a 2nd for Corey Williams?). BTW, some guy named Jamaal Charles was picked #73 in the next round by the Chiefs. Ouch! Pat Lee was the Packers other 2nd rounder. Brohm had they hype; don't recall what they were saying about Pat Lee coming out of Auburn. When these guys got to the Packers, where was the evidence that earned them such high picks?

Brandon494
07-08-2014, 12:02 AM
Matt Flynn in the 7th round made up for it.

KYPack
07-08-2014, 08:48 AM
I thought Brohm would be a big thing. At the time, I didn't say anything bc I learned a long time ago the NFL>>>>>> than the NCAA game.

Brohm played in an I set at Louisiville with a lot of pro attributes, but it still wasn't an NFL offense.

He had little experience getting snaps from under center and was slow delivering the ball in that fashion.

He also could not complete a pass outside the numbers throwing to his left.

There was some other factors in play, the guy had a little talent, but he sure as hell wasn't a top 15 pick like he was rated 2007.

pbmax
07-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Was Brohm coached by Petrino?

Joemailman
07-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Was Brohm coached by Petrino?

Yes. Petrino coached there 2003-2006. Brohm played there 2004-2007.

pbmax
07-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Yes. Petrino coached there 2003-2006. Brohm played there 2004-2007.

That would screw anyone up. He is an offensive savant though.

Guiness
07-08-2014, 11:43 AM
sidebar: If he'd come out in 2007 and been drafted in the first round, it would've been about the right place, given the skill of the other two first round QBs (Jamarcus and Quinn)!

2007 was not exactly a murderer's row of QBs. Russel, Quinn, Kolb, Beck, Edwards...

run pMc
07-08-2014, 12:55 PM
At the time, Brohm was highly thought of, but Pat Lee was kind of a headscratcher to me.
Now, it just seems like they both were strikeouts at the plate...both being R2 picks makes it worse, but Brandon's right: Flynn made up for it.

Rastak
07-08-2014, 08:11 PM
I thought Brohm would be a big thing. At the time, I didn't say anything bc I learned a long time ago the NFL>>>>>> than the NCAA game.

Brohm played in an I set at Louisiville with a lot of pro attributes, but it still wasn't an NFL offense.

He had little experience getting snaps from under center and was slow delivering the ball in that fashion.

He also could not complete a pass outside the numbers throwing to his left.

There was some other factors in play, the guy had a little talent, but he sure as hell wasn't a top 15 pick like he was rated 2007.

Me too. I was royally pissed the Pack got him, I was hoping the Vikings would find a way to draft him. Glad as hell they didn't.

KYPack
07-08-2014, 08:25 PM
Me too. I was royally pissed the Pack got him, I was hoping the Vikings would find a way to draft him. Glad as hell they didn't.

Brohm ran Petrino's offense to a "T". It featured a lot of quick slants & shallow crosses, somewhat resembling the Packer O. the problem was the passes were off a shallow roll-out from the I. So they were simple reads. Once he got on the Pack, he was intimidated by the complexity of the system and just never got in the groove.

We weren't alone, Ras. there was another NFL brainiac that agreed with us totally. Merle Hodge not only thought Brohm would be a player, but also predicted that Brohm would unseat ARod THAT season!

Se we weren't that crazy, at least.

Fritz
07-10-2014, 02:34 PM
sigh...I liked the pick at the time, too. But from the get-go the guy seemed overwhelmed, and not with the gleam in his eye that says "I may not get this shit, but dammit I will." More like "This shit is over my head. I think I'll just sit in the back and try to shrink."

Pugger
07-11-2014, 08:42 AM
Brohm just shows us how difficult it is to scout collegiate QBs. How did no one foresee his struggles at the next level?

Guiness
07-11-2014, 09:52 AM
Brohm just shows us how difficult it is to scout collegiate QBs. How did no one foresee his struggles at the next level?

Well, the scouts did see he was going to have problems. The year before, he was slated to go early first round. He was exposed, and dropped, just not far enough. Probably because no one no one could believe he should drop that much. You know, value pick and all that.

That year he spent with the Packers was shear lunacy at the QB position. It was Rodgers first year as the starter, and his backups were Flynn and Brohm! Has a modern NFL team ever gone into a season so inexperienced at the QB position? Total NFL stats: 0 starts and 35Att, 1 TD and 1 INT (all by Rodgers) between them!

Cheesehead Craig
07-11-2014, 12:26 PM
I hated that damn pick when we made it. QBs that are in goofy offenses in college just don't do well in the NFL.

ThunderDan
07-11-2014, 12:58 PM
I hated that damn pick when we made it. QBs that are in goofy offenses in college just don't do well in the NFL.

Yeah, but you got to remember at that point ARod hadn't made it through a game he played any substantial time in and was a huge durability question going forward. I was hoping we were going to package some picks to move up and get Flacco from Delaware.

woodbuck27
07-12-2014, 02:32 PM
sidebar: If he'd come out in 2007 and been drafted in the first round, it would've been about the right place, given the skill of the other two first round QBs (Jamarcus and Quinn)!

2007 was not exactly a murderer's row of QBs. Russel, Quinn, Kolb, Beck, Edwards...

A whole lot of BLAH !