PDA

View Full Version : FXFL?

pittstang5
07-09-2014, 12:19 PM
http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/07/fxfl-nfl-developmental-league

Just came across the FXFL, reading an article about Brian Brohm. I had no idea this FXFL was in the works and looks like it should be running this year.

I like the idea of a minor league system for the NFL. I even liked the NFL Europe system when it was alive, mostly for the development of the players that showed some promise, but weren't quite there yet. I've been hoping something comparable to it would start again, especially since the Packers sign soooo many young guys, they can't possibly keep them all. Once they leave GB, we usually don't hear to much from them again.

Guiness
07-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Interesting, but I'd say a longshot to work, like so many other attempts. It's far from obvious what it will take to get a minor league football system up and running, no one seems to have sorted it out yet.

MadScientist
07-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Best bet for success would be to have FXFL teams tied to several NFL teams where those teams could pull players if needed, and those teams help keep the FXFL team going. The trouble is that the NFL doesn't want to work it that way, probably for cost reasons (medical, liability, etc.) with the costs coming out of the owner's portion not the players portion of the revenue pool.

Since this is not happening and the last league that tried getting fees from NFL teams that took their players didn't do well, I agree that it will be tough to pull off.

Fritz
07-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Tough to pull off, but oh-so-useful since guys are nearly children when they come out after a year of college.

I think the NFL owners would have a stake in such a system except that if your organization sucks anyway, you maybe know your developmental team will only suck, too, and won't be the feeder you'd like.

Teams that draft well consistently would benefit. Maybe a few more thugs would get a chance in the NFL, too!

pbmax
07-10-2014, 06:56 PM
I really hopes this works. The USFL was fine until Trump and the other maniac decided to move to the Fall and pursue a lawsuit instead of building a league. Their TV numbers were surprisingly mediocre compared to predictions. Several franchises had trouble with ticket sales, but they choose some weird cities due to stadium contracts.

bobblehead
07-10-2014, 09:12 PM
I really hopes this works. The USFL was fine until Trump and the other maniac decided to move to the Fall and pursue a lawsuit instead of building a league. Their TV numbers were surprisingly mediocre compared to predictions. Several franchises had trouble with ticket sales, but they choose some weird cities due to stadium contracts.

I hope it goes. I don't think anyone can compete with the NFL, but like NFL Europe, I would like to see a minor league type system. Problem is that the owners have no vested interest in it. They don't really care if they put the maximum product on the field, as long as they sell tickets. Personally I love the Ruvell Martin stories, and even Cullen I believe went through NFL Europe and developed. Again though, why does the NFL need it is the question? A league that isn't affiliated with the NFL is competing however and will fight to KEEP their players. That hurts fan interest because ultimately we are Packer fans. Our biggest interest in watching another league would be to see who might end up on our team and contribute. If the other league doesn't want to let its players go, it ultimately hurts itself. If it can't get anything for the players it develops it is being taken advantage of.

pbmax
07-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Well the League might decide it likes it if the College Football landscape changes a lot. Even if the whole thing doesn't collapse like a dying star, there could be fewer big time programs in the near future. There is also the chance that pressure on the non-profit status and a more cohesive NFLPA in 2020 lowering the eligibility age.

Conversely, a largely unchanged CFB might mean players would take a pro league more seriously if it involved coaches like Jim Fassel in the UFL mentioned in the recent Brohm article. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/266230631.html

It might also like it if all it needs to do is co-exist and not fund it as long as it doesn't see it as a threat. Which would mean a Spring/Summer schedule.

Guiness
07-10-2014, 11:25 PM
It's something that should happen, but there are some major stumbling blocks.

A developmental league has to realize 'the big show' is the goal of its players, but in exchange for giving those players up, they need to get something back. Problem is, I think the NFL owners for the most part are pretty draconian - and have this idea that they don't currently have to pay for the talent they get from college ball, so why should they pay someone else? A pretty short-sighted view, they pay plenty in the form of giving up on draft picks that don't perform right away (having nowhere to send them) and needing to sign street FAs during the season.

TBH there is no reason the NFL can not co-operate with the CFL on an endeavor like this. The league is set up, operating and relatively stable. The game is not identical, but similar enough to allow players to hone their skills. So what's the problem? I'd guess mostly NFL owners being unwilling to part with some of 'their' money, or being willing to co-operate with other owners, which would be necessary because there are far fewer CFL teams.