PDA

View Full Version : BRETSKY ALERT: Jim Leonard Talking to Packers

pbmax
07-13-2014, 05:24 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/13/jim-leonhard-has-had-conversations-with-the-packers-about-2014-season/

Sure, he is also talking to other teams, and the Packers might have sent his call to the ticket office, but the important thing is that they are talking.

“It would mean a lot, but we’ve had a lot of conversations with teams, Green Bay being one of them,” Leonhard said, via CheeseheadTV.com. “They’re a great organization, I’d love to play for them but it hasn’t worked out up to now. You never know what can happen in the future, but we’ll see. They’re a great organization and it’s always fun to see the fans and have a lot of family that follows them closely.”

I think this is maybe just the agent trying to hurry up a decision somewhere about getting a deal for camp, but the thought is nice.

pbmax
07-13-2014, 05:25 PM
http://scout.imgix.net/25/256495.jpg

He just looks gritty.

Picture is actual size.

Teamcheez1
07-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Jim Leonard Talking to Packers....

Does this mean he keeps calling an answering machine and leaving a message?
Is he calling the equipment manager looking for a job?
Maybe wants tickets to a regular season game?

We have no use for him on this team.

The Shadow
07-13-2014, 09:35 PM
Adding a tough, experienced safety - for the minimum - to a young inexperienced safety group already 25% head-fused-to-body seems like a rather prudent move to me.
By the way : 'ALERT"???? This is already kinda old news.

hoosier
07-14-2014, 08:19 AM
They must be looking for a way to make Abredderis appear less tiny.

Pugger
07-14-2014, 10:46 AM
Hmmm, did we ever fill Franklin's roster spot?

sharpe1027
07-14-2014, 11:42 AM
Adding a tough, experienced safety - for the minimum - to a young inexperienced safety group already 25% head-fused-to-body seems like a rather prudent move to me.
By the way : 'ALERT"???? This is already kinda old news.

It is also worth noting that he can return punts. Would be nice to have another option before having to use Cobb. I wouldn't mind taking a punt on him for cheap.

Brandon494
07-15-2014, 07:56 PM
“It would mean a lot, but we’ve had a lot of conversations with teams, Green Bay being one of them,”

translation: his agent called up the Packers and they said they were not interested at this time but they would keep him in mind.

Bretsky
07-15-2014, 09:42 PM
The thread kind of woke Bretsky up ........but.........Nothing short of a signing would get me excited about this rumor; gotta give Brandon kudos here and call a spade a spade. TT has no interest.

I sat by a close friend of Jim Leonard's father at Badger games last year. Dude sounded very credible.

Jim Leonard called up the Packers many years ago, per his father, when he was much younger and a much better player. TT had no interest in bringing him in or even talking numbers.

If he was with us last year heck he may have been our 2nd best safety. But upside is limited.

You get a smart football player who can teach the younger ones and lead by example on the team. TT takes the youthful talent with long term developmental upside over that every day

Not saying either is right or wrong. But TT won't bring him in.

Teamcheez1
07-16-2014, 07:44 AM
Which one is not a Packer Safety?

(Height, Weight, 40 time)

Player #1 6'1" 209 4.51
Player #2 5'10" 207 4.5
Player #3 6'2" 216 4.43
Player #4 5'8" 188 4.63
Player#5 6'1" 208 4.50

Of course, this is no indication of ability, but does indicate a trend.

Teamcheez1
07-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Which one is not a Packer Safety?

(Height, Weight, 40 time)

Player #1 6'1" 209 4.51 Morgan Burnett
Player #2 5'10" 207 4.5 Chris Banjo
Player #3 6'2" 216 4.43 Sean Richardson
Player #4 5'8" 188 4.63 Jim Leonhard
Player#5 6'1" 208 4.50 Ha Ha Dix

Of course, this is no indication of ability, but does indicate a trend.

Since nobody cares, I will answer my own question. You can now throw Micah Hyde in at 6'0", 197, and 4.56.

Guiness
07-16-2014, 02:55 PM
Since nobody cares, I will answer my own question. You can now throw Micah Hyde in at 6'0", 197, and 4.56.

we care, we care.

I figured the 5'8" guy was Leonhard. Remembered that he timed slow as well. Knew Richardson was the outlier at the other end of the scale.

Fritz
07-17-2014, 06:29 PM
We want a short, slow, old guy why again?

bobblehead
07-17-2014, 08:20 PM

If that is a trend, I better get my agent on the phone.

pbmax
07-17-2014, 09:08 PM

For team pictures. Much easier to get good depth of field with slower player.

sharpe1027
07-17-2014, 09:25 PM

Because the tall, fast, young guys did so well last year...

:-)

Bretsky
07-17-2014, 10:45 PM

perhaps we'd take a short slow guy who can play over the young fast idiots we watched last year who could not

Fritz
07-18-2014, 10:27 AM
perhaps we'd take a short slow guy who can play over the young fast idiots we watched last year who could not

He can play? Hmm. That seems to be in some doubt.

I don't understand how you fix a position by bringing in marginal players. We already have Chris Banjo.

Bretsky
07-18-2014, 09:47 PM

I don't understand how you fix a position by bringing in marginal players. We already have Chris Banjo.

Badger hater:(......; have you followed Leonard's career ? Why would you compare him to Banjo ? I consider him serviceable at worst. More than what we had last year.....aka....junk.

As I noted, last year I felt like he would have helped this team.

However, with our assignment sure secondary and safety crew....why consider brining somebody in with leadership skills who is reliable....don't need that.

Honestly I'm not pounding the table for Leonard anymore. He would have certainly helped years ago when TT showed no interest years ago. I'm just pointing out we rarely consider veterans with stability to we won't consider him.

On the other hand, would it hurt to bring in some assignment sure veterans with leadership skills ?

Rutnstrut
07-18-2014, 11:33 PM

Trying to "fix" things with marginal players is the TT way. Plus he'd be cheap, it's amazing Ted hasn't signed him.

pbmax
07-19-2014, 06:30 AM
Trying to "fix" things with marginal players is the TT way. Plus he'd be cheap, it's amazing Ted hasn't signed him.

You forgot young, with upside.

texaspackerbacker
07-19-2014, 12:31 PM
I don't think anybody said or implied they should or would bring in Leonhard to start. But bringing him in as a backup - an improvement to the backups already there? That's worth doing. He's always been a ball hawk and a smart player and a clutch player. That puts him at least 3 steps ahead of Banjo and Richardson and a couple of others now gone. Besides, Leonhard used to be a decent punt returner. It always helps to have extras of those.