PDA

View Full Version : Official 2014 Packers Training Camp Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2014, 09:15 AM
I'm also not sure he has the range to cover on the inside. He's probably slower than Hodge was, who was a step slow inside. I think he'll be fine but it may take some time for the conversion. Eventually you'll be able to hide him out in the flat in coverage once in a while but you want that guy on the other side of the line of scrimmage chasing the QB more often than chasing guys in the slot downfield.

He's a bit faster than Hodge. Bradford timed at 4.71 at the combine. Hodge timed at 4.76. Speed isn't the only thing. Desmond Bishop ran 4.81. Physically, outside of a bit faster 40 time his measurables are nearly identical to Sam Barrington. In converse, you could say Bradford doesn't have the necessary length to play OLB in a 3-4. 6'1" is decent size for a 3-4 ILB but short for a 3-4 OLB. It was a small sample size, but his 8 snaps vs. Tennessee were not good. He got no pressure in 1v1 situations. I've also read that he's struggled in pass rush drills. I think his best attributes are similar to what Bishop brought to the table.

pbmax
08-12-2014, 10:14 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2014/08/11/green-bay-packers-derek-sherrod-jc-tretter-earn-high-marks/13934233/

After watching the film, McCarthy said he was impressed by what he saw from a number of young players, including center Garth Gerhart, safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, inside linebackers Joe Thomas and Sam Barrington, and the first- and second-team secondary.

Those names in addition to praising Tretter and Sherrod.

vince
08-12-2014, 12:26 PM
He's a bit faster than Hodge. Bradford timed at 4.71 at the combine. Hodge timed at 4.76. Speed isn't the only thing. Desmond Bishop ran 4.81. Physically, outside of a bit faster 40 time his measurables are nearly identical to Sam Barrington. In converse, you could say Bradford doesn't have the necessary length to play OLB in a 3-4. 6'1" is decent size for a 3-4 ILB but short for a 3-4 OLB. It was a small sample size, but his 8 snaps vs. Tennessee were not good. He got no pressure in 1v1 situations. I've also read that he's struggled in pass rush drills. I think his best attributes are similar to what Bishop brought to the table.
Well if he can't rush the passer then there's no loss in trying him out inside but I can see why they want him to start out outside. I thought I read about him winning a few one on ones and blowing up a few plays in camp. I'll go back and see if I can dig anything up. I think he has short arms though which may be a problem if he can't keep tackles from getting their hands on him.

pbmax
08-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Nelson practiced, in limited fashion, today.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 43m
Out for #Packers were Adams, R. Neal, Lyerla, Joe Thomas, Barclay, Abbrederis, Guion and Worthy. Tanner Miller returned, had nice PBU.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 37m
MM: I think Jeff Janis has made a play every day he's been out there. He looks good. Hopefully we can get him cleared for Saturday night

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 36m
MM on Adams: I'm told it's not a long term issue

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Janis did have a drop. It's the first I remember. White had another drop after dropping two yesterday. He may be playing himself off the roster--especially with guys like Neal and Rolle making pushes at other positions.

Brandon494
08-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Janis did have a drop. It's the first I remember. White had another drop after dropping two yesterday. He may be playing himself off the roster--especially with guys like Neal and Rolle making pushes at other positions.

White has never been good to begin with, I don't know what you ever saw in him. Janis did have a drop in the 2 minute drill I heard but that is the first negative comment I've heard about him. He also took snaps today at punt returner so hopefully we'll see him in the game later this week.

pbmax
08-12-2014, 10:23 PM
White has never been good to begin with, I don't know what you ever saw in him. Janis did have a drop in the 2 minute drill I heard but that is the first negative comment I've heard about him. He also took snaps today at punt returner so hopefully we'll see him in the game later this week.

Now that is a punt returner I am excited about. Size and speed.

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2014, 11:41 PM

White has some things to like about him. With some added strength and the loss of Abby (a slot guy) I thought he had the best chance of group fighting for a spot. But he's not good enough to overcome drops every practice. I wouldn't write him off, but I'm beginning to think they'll keep 5 (with Janis). Of the rest I think I like the potential of Kevin Dorsey the most. For a guy they just signed Sheppard didn't look half bad either.

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2014, 11:52 PM
About the time I got down on a guy I read an article like this (I missed it from earlier in the week). The writer speculates that the 5th spot will come down to Myles White vs. Kevin Dorsey. Of course, that was before White started dropping balls and Janis started making plays every day.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2014/08/08/white-dorsey-lead-battle-packers-th-wr-spot/13803211/

bobblehead
08-13-2014, 06:59 AM

The 40 is so overrated. Bishop was about .5 seconds faster diagnosing things than most ILB, so his effective 40 time was 4.31...dude flew.

ThunderDan
08-13-2014, 08:37 AM
The 40 is so overrated. Bishop was about .5 seconds faster diagnosing things than most ILB, so his effective 40 time was 4.31...dude flew.

Not so fast. I don't think Bishop could diagnose anything. He just saw a gap and shot it. It didn't matter if that was his assignment or that was where the play was going. I don't know how many times he shot the wrong gap and let the other team gash a 20+ yard run.

It wasn't until his last season or two that he slowed down and actually played his assignment and then the Packers could afford to put him in for extended periods.

pbmax
08-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Wednesday, August 13th, 2014

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 1h
#Packers DNPs:
R. Neal - knee
Lyerla - knee
Thomas - knee
B. Jones - unknown (new)
Barclay - knee
Abbrederis - knee
Guion - hamstring

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Davante Adams (wrist) has returned to practice.

GPS TOLD HIM TO GET BACK OUT THERE

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 1h
Also back at practice is ILB Joe Thomas. RB Rajion Neal is still out.

HE HAD A LEG. NOW HIS LEG BELONGS TO WINSTON MOSS.

Janis inside working with top offensive units while Dorsey and Harper are outside working with the scout team. That says something.

YES. UPCOMING INJURY REPORT.

Lattimore working with Hawk inside with first defense. I would expect Barrington to get a shot there too.

JONES IS HURT YOU H8TERS.

pbmax
08-13-2014, 02:18 PM
Sorry, I said Thomas is back. I was looking at Barrington. I need to clean my glasses.

OK, SO HE IS NOT BACK

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Look out, Bryan Bulaga just drive Doughty into the dirt during half line. Next play, does the same to Hubbard.

SOUNDS LIKE THE MOUNTAIN'S WORKOUT REGIME

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
And Jake Stoneburner has his say. Might've been his best block of camp, pancakes his man.

NOW IF THE TISSUE GRAFTS FROM JACKIE HARRIS' HANDS TAKE ...

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Richard Rodgers solid again this drill. Really controlled Bradford to clear one lane.

IF THE TITANS GAME WAS ANY INDICATION, THIS TEST WAS RIGGED

Rodgers is playing QB for the scout team. Makes me wonder how much he's going to play vs. St. Louis.

BUT BOYKIN, ADAMS AND RRODGERS WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW WHAT AN NFL PASS LOOKS LIKE DURING A GAME TOM

Run drill taking place is as physical as anything they've done this camp. Lots of pads smacking.

ONE INJURY AND I BET TED CANCELS IT

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Corey Linsley having his moments, too. Gets underneath Pennel, coach all over Pennel for getting too high.

PENNEL! ARE YOU HIGH? HE IS FROM OHIO STATE, JUST TELL HIM YOUR FROM THE SEC AND HE'LL FOLD!

Fight came after Lacy gashed the defense for a sizable gain.

ARE LACY AND RODGERS ON THE SCOUT TEAM? I THINK TOM IS CONFUSED OR THE DRILL CHANGED. I HOPE.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
That was no boys-will-be-boys scuffle there. Lattimore and Sitton get into it, entire O and D jump in.

YES CERTAINLY. WE AWAIT THE POLICE REPOT ON CASUALTIES.

Now Winston Moss and James Campen up in each other's face screaming.

WHERE IS RED TO TELL US THE COACHES CAN'T LIGHT A FIRE UNDER SOMEONE (THEMSELVES)?

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Easily the best fight of camp. For a guy who hardly talks off the field, Lattimore loves talking on it. Must've got under Sitton's skin.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 1h
Wildest drill of camp ends, half-line run drill. Huge fight O vs D in big pile, Campen n Moss jawing, A Rodgers n Sirton barking at D

BACKUP LB AND THE STARTING QB. YAWN. LET ME KNOW IF MATTHEWS OR PEPPERS TEES OFF ON LANG OR SITTON.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Even Derek Sherrod joined the fun. He was central to that last mosh pit.

NOT A GOOD RISK MANAGEMENT DECISION.

pbmax
08-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Janis with a diving catch on an out route. When doesn't this guy make a great catch?

WHEN HE HAS SHINGLES

When Jeff Janis finds consistency, he's going to be a player. Full extension layout catch in 11-on-11 after two drops in individual drills.

BEST JOE MORGAN REFERENCE OF THE DAY

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 1h
Good concentration from Gillett. Hayward tips up pass in double coverage, catches the deflection

HHCD WAS IN COVERAGE ON THIS AS WELL. MUST BE NEW TO HAYWARD TO HAVE SAFETY HELP

In first dime, Burnett and Clinton-Dix at safety, Tramon and Hyde in the slot, Shields and House outside.

WHAT!? HOW CAN YOU PLAY PASS D WITHOUT HAYWARD?

Rodgers working with the second team O-line in red zone drill. Very unusual.

PACKERS PREPARE FOR FIRST 4 GAMES IN PRESEASON. AFTER INJURIES, THAT WILL BE THE STARTING O LINE IN GAME 3.

Flutter ball from Rettig gets picked by Tramon on pass for Gillett

WONDER IF THIS WAS TIPPED LIKE IT WAS DURING TITAN GAME?

Rodgers to Boykin down seam for a nice gain against No. 1 defense.

BOYKIN CAN BE THE TE

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 1h
Punt cover drill so Hyde personal protector, punt returners are Cobb, Williams, Janis

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
On the scout team, Randall Cobb, Myles White, Tramon Williams, Jeff Janis are fielding punts.

SO TELL US WHO IS ON THE 1ST TEAM PUNT COVER YOU TWO!

Morgan Burnett on first kickoff coverage

ONLY 10 MORE NAMES TO GO. IN RELATED NEWS, WHAT?!

pbmax
08-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Janis working on KORs with DuJuan Harris, Micah Hyde and LaDRius Perkins.

IS JANIS BILLY SCHROEDER REINCARNATED? ALSO, NOTE NEW NICKNAME SILVERSTEIN GAVE TO DOC PERKINS WITH THE CAPS

Rodgers with a quick hitter over the middle to Bostick, who has picked up his game the last week.

I GET A DEFINITE TYRONE DAVIS VIBE FROM BOSTICK

This 11-on-11 period included Rodgers going downfield to Nelson, just missing Boykin deep and Adams catching a crossing route from 12.

KEY TO STAYING HEALTHY: ONLY WORK WITH RODGERS

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Sean Richardson with a nice read on Tolzien. Steps in front of Gillett for an interception he would've taken back for a touchdown.

KEY TO MAKING TEAM ON DEFENSE, ALWAYS JUMP IN FOR #2 QB REPS

Tolzien and Gillett totally screwed up on in route. Sean Richardson picks off errant throw. I believe that's his third pick of camp.

THEY DON'T ASK HOW, THEY ASK HOW MANY

Janis and Antonio Dennard go after it after getting locked up on a block. Janis wrestles Dennard down.

JANIS JANIS JANIS!!

pbmax
08-13-2014, 02:36 PM
Burnett has a chance for a pick laying out for ball by Flynn but can't haul it in. They need him to make that special kind of play.

I WILL SETTLE FOR HIM TO JUST MAKE THE REGULAR PLAYS AND TAKE IT FROM THERE

Rettig with a nice shot to TE Justin Perillo, who has caught everything today.

HE IS MAD HE ISN'T IN THE POLL

S Ryan White,who played well against Tennessee, has dropped out with an ankle or injury. Has his shoe off and ice bag near ankle.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Jumal Rolle on a nice roll of late. With the scout team vs No. 1 offense, he breaks up a Rodgers pass to Cobb.

I BELIEVE ITS PRONOUNCED ROLLÉ

pbmax
08-13-2014, 02:45 PM
OLB Adrian Hubbard says "Welcome To Paradise" to Scott Tolzien with an INT as @GreenDay blares. #PackersPlaylist

MIGHT WANT TO HOLD OFF ON CELEBRATORY BANDWAGON FOR TOLZIEN

Mulumba with a nice rush on Adams. Would have been a sack in normal circumstances.

MIGHT BE FIRST MENTION OF MULUMBA ALL CAMP NOT PRECEDED BY "QUIET"

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Another scuffle, lost track of count. This one features Jarrett Bush and T.J. Lang. Two vets going at it.

MY MONEY IS ON BUSH

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Matt Flynn hits Jake Stoneburner off play action for a touchdown in the back of the end zone.

TE PROBLEM SOLVED

Flynn to Stone Irene for short TD. Haven't seen the latter's name much here.

#Tramontana RT @TomSilverstein: Flynn to Stone Irene for short TD. Haven't seen the latter's name much here.

YOU READ IT HERE FIRST. LIKE TRAMONTANA, STONE IRENE IS NOW STONEBURNER'S NICKNAME FROM SPOON

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 30m
MM on why Brad Jones didn't practice: had dental procedure.

NEW GRILLE

pbmax
08-13-2014, 02:53 PM
Don't think Tweet on FGs went through. Crosby was 4 of 6. Missed 42 and 53. Hit from 33, 44, 46 and. 54. I believe he's 41 of 45 so far.

bobblehead
08-13-2014, 05:14 PM
Not so fast. I don't think Bishop could diagnose anything. He just saw a gap and shot it. It didn't matter if that was his assignment or that was where the play was going. I don't know how many times he shot the wrong gap and let the other team gash a 20+ yard run.

It wasn't until his last season or two that he slowed down and actually played his assignment and then the Packers could afford to put him in for extended periods.

I disagree. Bishop blew 2 assignments, and MM couldn't get past it. I just watched Peppers blow one assignment in 10 plays. Think he rides the pine for 2 years? And yes, I am convinced his assignment wasn't to push upfield to the point he couldn't effectively contain. Pushing so far upfield that the RB has a monster lane to run through is not called keeping containment even if he technically ran inside of you.

pbmax
08-13-2014, 05:18 PM
I disagree. Bishop blew 2 assignments, and MM couldn't get past it. I just watched Peppers blow one assignment in 10 plays. Think he rides the pine for 2 years? And yes, I am convinced his assignment wasn't to push upfield to the point he couldn't effectively contain. Pushing so far upfield that the RB has a monster lane to run through is not called keeping containment even if he technically ran inside of you.

Normally there is a responsibility to stay parallel to the LOS (or as Banaczyk said in the Press Gazette, not to turn away from the sideline). He also has to squeeze a gap with the guy next to him. Whether it was Daniels or Jones, he was moving away from both but wasn't tracking the RB at the time.

bobblehead
08-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Janis with a diving catch on an out route. When doesn't this guy make a great catch?

WHEN HE HAS SHINGLES

Asshole...I just spit coke out my nose. (soda, not cain)

pbmax
08-13-2014, 05:19 PM

Normally there is a responsibility to stay parallel to the LOS (or as Banaczyk said in the Press Gazette, not to turn away from the sideline). He also has to squeeze a gap with the guy next to him. Whether it was Daniels or Jones, he was moving away from both but wasn't tracking the RB at the time.

bobblehead
08-13-2014, 05:26 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Another scuffle, lost track of count. This one features Jarrett Bush and T.J. Lang. Two vets going at it.

MY MONEY IS ON BUSH

I'm thinking the fight lasts about 30 minutes for Bush to win.

bobblehead
08-13-2014, 05:27 PM

So you're agreeing with me right?

Joemailman
08-13-2014, 06:22 PM
That play to me looks like it's Daniels fault. Jones was in perfect position in the C/G gap. Peppers had outside contain. It looks to me like Daniels pushed to far inside to be able to cover the G/T gap. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014080902/2014/PRE1/packers@titans#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000 000376326&tab=analyze

pbmax
08-14-2014, 01:23 AM
So you're agreeing with me right?

Yes. Whether he could have made the play with Daniels crashing inside AND Jones inside is debatable. But going upfield and turning in made no sense.

Cheesehead Craig
08-14-2014, 08:01 AM
Rodgers working with the second team O-line in red zone drill. Very unusual.

PACKERS PREPARE FOR FIRST 4 GAMES IN PRESEASON. AFTER INJURIES, THAT WILL BE THE STARTING O LINE IN GAME 3.

Classic!

Zool
08-14-2014, 08:26 AM
IS JANIS BILLY SCHROEDER REINCARNATED?

He better not be. That guy was a moron.

3irty1
08-14-2014, 10:10 AM

Yeah I'm betting MM was going on more than just those 2 assignments.

pbmax
08-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Please read this article (smart football at Grantland-Chris Brown), paying particular attention not to the LeSean McCoy sweep that gashed the Packers in gif form, but the practice organization.

And tell me who else we know that runs his practices that way.

http://grantland.com/features/chip-kelly-philadelphia-eagles-nfl-influence/

bobblehead
08-14-2014, 02:55 PM
Yeah I'm betting MM was going on more than just those 2 assignments.

He only played like 3 snaps!!

bobblehead
08-14-2014, 02:58 PM
Please read this article (smart football at Grantland-Chris Brown), paying particular attention not to the LeSean McCoy sweep that gashed the Packers in gif form, but the practice organization.

And tell me who else we know that runs his practices that way.

http://grantland.com/features/chip-kelly-philadelphia-eagles-nfl-influence/

Not good. Chip is likely to get assassinated when the NFL can't get enough commercials in. Seriously though...call me when he starts going for it on 90% of 4th downs.

Joemailman
08-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Report Lyerla has torn MCL and PCL. Or to simplify things, he has a knee. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000377903/article/packers-colt-lyerla-reportedly-has-torn-mcl-pcl

pbmax
08-14-2014, 06:48 PM
McCarthy has been doing almost everything Kelly is noted as doing for several years, including the GPS tracking of player movements during camp and practice.

The one new thing is the sports nutrition guy they officially hired this year. One observable change has been those energy bars they are handing out in practice. While the Eagles had that position filled last year, they got rid of fast food in the locker room. Johnny Jolly was having the rookies by KFC on Tuesdays.

As Brown covers in his piece, even if someone like the Packers started mimicking him, they might still be behind in interpreting the data from the GPS/Australian Rules football training protocols. We'll see.

Patler
08-14-2014, 10:21 PM
McCarthy has been doing almost everything Kelly is noted as doing for several years, including the GPS tracking of player movements during camp and practice.

The one new thing is the sports nutrition guy they officially hired this year. One observable change has been those energy bars they are handing out in practice. While the Eagles had that position filled last year, they got rid of fast food in the locker room. Johnny Jolly was having the rookies by KFC on Tuesdays.

As Brown covers in his piece, even if someone like the Packers started mimicking him, they might still be behind in interpreting the data from the GPS/Australian Rules football training protocols. We'll see.

When did MM start with the GPS stuf? I thought it was just this off season?

The article made a somewhat big deal of Kelly using his center to pull. Mike Sherman did that a lot with Flanagan. Some say Dermonti Dawson was the first center who pulled regularly. I don't know if that is true or not, but it certainly isn't a Kelly innovation.

pbmax
08-15-2014, 01:31 AM
When did MM start with the GPS stuf? I thought it was just this off season?

The article made a somewhat big deal of Kelly using his center to pull. Mike Sherman did that a lot with Flanagan. Some say Dermonti Dawson was the first center who pulled regularly. I don't know if that is true or not, but it certainly isn't a Kelly innovation.

Reports of the new system that went into full effect this year indicated that the Packers had been using GPS for a couple of years. Not sure if it was an experiment, or different provider, but it was clear they had more than one year of data.

The story about the nutrition guy was along the same lines. The reporters knew the guy was working for the Packers, but the announcement came well after he started his job according to the beat guys.

The center pulling isn't new, but the center pulling with a Guard is a bit weird. It leaves a huge gap to penetrate through if you get bad D alignment matchup.

3irty1
08-15-2014, 11:33 AM
By far the hardest part of collecting all that GPS and accelerometer data is figuring out what to do with it. If I were going to start making data driven decisions on when to prevent injuries, I'd first seek to predict injuries. That means collecting data for years and using that historical data to tweak my predictive models. The more data you've got, the more resolution you'll have in your models, and the greater the benefit. What I'm saying is that if there is anything to the data science of injuries, I really hope we've got some historical data built up to work with.

3irty1
08-15-2014, 11:40 AM
He only played like 3 snaps!!

And the weight MM placed on those 3 snaps were mostly likely nothing relative to the hours of time he evaluated him in practice each day.

pbmax
08-15-2014, 11:53 AM
I think they know the target they are shooting for at this point. Every single one of these articles talks about training for peak performance, as its described, how to be at your peak on Game Day, with max prep time but also full recovered from training.

Now how they arrive at those values is a great question. The most commonly mentioned system was developed in Australia for Aussie Football.

My guess is that they measure, or attempt to measure movement in an actual game. The NFL didn't allow devices to measure until very recently, so that was either done in camp, scrimmages or preseason games or they went back to tapes and measured by hand and eye.

McCarthy's comments made it seem like after a couple of years measuring, they were implementing changes to the schedule this year based on that data. He has reordered the workouts from Friday to Game Day. Friday is now rest and the walk-through happens on Saturday.

Joemailman
08-15-2014, 05:19 PM
Josh Sitton on Wednesday's rather chippy practice:

“Throwing punches is not smart, no. That’s pretty stupid. I might have been stupid today.” – Guard Josh Sitton, on the fighting.

pbmax
08-17-2014, 07:53 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 4h
Opponent run average vs. #Packers defense: 3.10 per carry

pbmax
08-18-2014, 10:51 AM
Remember this little kerfuffle? http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?26578-TOP-25-FREE-AGENTS&p=774082&viewfull=1#post774082

or

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?26595-Official-2014-Combine-Thread&p=774702&viewfull=1#post774702

Rappaport would appear to have been correct.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1h
Good read from @BobMcGinn on the #Packers remade and smaller defensive line: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-smaller-defensive-line-holding-up-against-the-run-b99332237z1-271626231.html …

or http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?26582-Smaller-Faster-Longer-Leaner&p=774092&highlight=Rapoport#post774092

pbmax
08-18-2014, 11:05 AM
Bob is splitting hairs here, Jones made avery good penetration early versus the Rams and flushed a runner to someone else for a TFL.

Its possible its the ONLY thing he has done, but I did see it and hear about it on the radio from McCarren.

pbmax
08-18-2014, 11:07 AM
More from Bob

For the second Saturday in a row, center JC Tretter was outstanding. On the first drive, he made a difficult reach block against rookie three-technique Aaron Donald, the 13th overall selection, look easy as Eddie Lacy chugged on by for a 7-yard gain.

If he can regularly do that, it will benefit Starks as much as Lacy. Starks loves that inside zone play.

Rutnstrut
08-18-2014, 11:26 AM
I have to admit, from what I have seen of Tretter so far he has impressed me. Hopefully he continues doing well in the regular season.

pbmax
08-18-2014, 11:26 AM
I think wist finally drunk dialed the correct number to Dom Capers office:

Jersey Al - ALLGBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 1h
"They're very stout up front," Jeff Fisher said. "It was a frustrating at times because of the penetration. There was so much penetration."

pbmax
08-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Monday, Aug 18 Practice

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 3m
Rajion Neal, Colt Lyerla, Joe Thomas, Barclay, Abbrederis, Bostick and Guion not taking practice in this shells practice

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 3m
Cobb, Hyde and Tramon back for punts. Janis covering for scout team.

JANIS NOT A LOCK FOR RETURNER DUTIES AT THIS POINT

pittstang5
08-18-2014, 01:54 PM
Monday, Aug 18 Practice

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 3m
Rajion Neal, Colt Lyerla, Joe Thomas, Barclay, Abbrederis, Bostick and Guion not taking practice in this shells practice

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 3m
Cobb, Hyde and Tramon back for punts. Janis covering for scout team.

JANIS NOT A LOCK FOR RETURNER DUTIES AT THIS POINT

Sounds like Bostick could be out a "Couple Weeks" with a lower leg injury. We all know this means, he had his leg amputated and they're waiting for the prosthetic to be ordered.

- In all seriousness, the TE position took another hit. I'll have to take a look at the Roster, but I only know of 3 healthy TEs - Rodgers, Quarless and Taylor and 2 of those three are actually TEs - Taylor is called one, but he's only on the team because of Sp. Teams. Quarless needs to step it up.

smuggler
08-18-2014, 02:50 PM
Good thing both Quarless and Rodgers seem no worse than servicable.

Patler
08-18-2014, 03:25 PM
- In all seriousness, the TE position took another hit. I'll have to take a look at the Roster, but I only know of 3 healthy TEs - Rodgers, Quarless and Taylor and 2 of those three are actually TEs - Taylor is called one, but he's only on the team because of Sp. Teams. Quarless needs to step it up.

They told us all last season that they liked Stoneburner, and they kept him around. Maybe he will get his chance.

The first week of camp they said Perillo outplayed Lyerla, but then he plateaued. Time for him to turn it up.

texaspackerbacker
08-18-2014, 03:50 PM
They told us all last season that they liked Stoneburner, and they kept him around. Maybe he will get his chance.

The first week of camp they said Perillo outplayed Lyerla, but then he plateaued. Time for him to turn it up.

I'd hate to see Stoneburner cut because of numbers or whatever, then resurface as a decent TE with some other team. I have at least as much hope for him as I do for Bostick.

Joemailman
08-18-2014, 04:30 PM
MM said Bostick has a "lower leg injury". Why so wordy? He been reading Red's posts?

pbmax
08-18-2014, 04:51 PM
MM said Bostick has a "lower leg injury". Why so wordy? He been reading Red's posts?

He might as just tell the opponent WHICH leg!

Actually, he should just say 8 players missed some time or were limited this week and then list the various injuries alphabetically. Let the press sort that match game out.

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2014, 05:21 PM
I'd hate to see Stoneburner cut because of numbers or whatever, then resurface as a decent TE with some other team. I have at least as much hope for him as I do for Bostick.

IMHO, Bostick is a lot better than Stoneburner.

pittstang5
08-18-2014, 06:43 PM

Ah yes, Stoneburner. Forgot about him....not good if you are forgotten.

Smidgeon
08-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Any worries about Hayward yet? The only comments I've been reading are when he gets burned (like most DBs) or when the dime list doesn't have him on it (with Hyde or House ahead of him).

I think he played too well his rookie year for it to be a fluke, so what's going on?

KYPack
08-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Any worries about Hayward yet? The only comments I've been reading are when he gets burned (like most DBs) or when the dime list doesn't have him on it (with Hyde or House ahead of him).

I think he played too well his rookie year for it to be a fluke, so what's going on?

Hayward is still getting his legs back together.

He has had bad moments, but in general, I'd think he will be fine.

He's an excellent cover guy in zone.

In nickel and dime they have been playing him at corner and having Tramon cover the slot.

That's getting to be the defensive convention around the league.

Have your best guy take the slant and cover the rest of the WR's in zone.

Wistian paranoia aside, I think Capers is lashing together an effective D this season.

Guiness
08-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Lyerla is out for the season, right? I read torn MCL and PCL from the family night hurdling episode.

pittstang5
08-19-2014, 01:09 PM
Lyerla is out for the season, right? I read torn MCL and PCL from the family night hurdling episode.

I don't think anything has been made official yet. Can't imagine he'll play this year. They can't PUP him and I can't see them using a roster spot to keep him. Best thing to do, if they feel he has potential, is IR him.

I don't think Barclay or Abbrederis have been put on IR yet either. We know they aren't playing this year.

pbmax
08-19-2014, 01:52 PM

Man did you cause a jinx.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 26m
Looks like Hayward is being held out. May be an injury.

pbmax
08-19-2014, 02:28 PM
All @RobDemovsky Tweets

@RobDemovsky
TT: We've got an important few weeks right in front of us. Certainly finishing up the preseason and getting ready for the start of season.

TT: Next three games, play Reggie McKenzie's team, John Dorsey's team and John Schneider's team. (All formePackersouts). #Packers
@MikeMo15·4 HOURS AGO

@RobDemovsky
TT on why no roster moves since July 30: "Sometimes you keep adding salt to the mix, it gets to saltWisdomfromTeddomfromTed

@RobDemovsky
TT on increasing practice squad to 10: That's fine with me. Most people in my position would say that's a good idea. I don't get a vote.

TT on watching preseason games from the sideline: "You can see the glassiness of the eyePackers; #Packers

TT on the 2013 draft class (with 5 starters): It's good. We don't separate players by years. Love the 30-years-olds as much as 20-year-olds.

TT: I was often times playing in the 2nd half of preseason games, competition level drops, even I made a few plays. Have to weigh it out.

TT on Tretter: "We liked him a lot in college, thought he could play. Did some workouts with him as a center."

pbmax
08-19-2014, 02:29 PM
All @RobDemovsky Tweets

At the start of #Packers practice Carl Bradford and Jayrone Elliott are working with the regular defense. Typically they're inside w/scout D

On the flip side of Bradford/Elliott, WR Myles White is with the scout offense while the main group is inside.

Rajion Neal and Joe Thomas still out. #Packers

With Bostick out, Jake Stoneburner continues to get more work with the starters. Caught the first pass from Rodgers in team.

So far in this period, Rodgers has taken the first three reps then Flynn took one. Three more for Rodgers then one for Tolzien.

Julius Peppers just destroyed FB Ina Liaina and dumped RB Michael Hill in the half-line drill.

Jayrone Elliott is at right tackle with the No. 1 punt team. That's usually Bostick or Ryan Taylor.

I'm starting to wonder if Ryan Taylor's roster spot isn't as safe as I thoughtPackersld be. #Packers

Ryan Taylor is in his regular spot with the No. 1 kickoff return team. Barrington in on it now for Palmer.

QB reps in the last team period, in order; Rodgers (4), Flynn (3), Tolzien (3). #Packers

Rough red zone period for the offense. Rodgers missed Nelson and then Boykin had a rocket from Rodgers go right through the wickets.

Sack for Mike Neal, who beat Aaron Adams off the edge and for Flynn.

Janis. Hyde, Williams and Cobb catching punts. Tramon mishandled one of them.

FG period for Crosby: 33: Good 38: Good 42: Good 44: WR 46: Good 53: Good

I remember when the "move the ball" period actually meant it. A 20-yard completion from Flynn to Adams on 2nd-and-6. Next play 3rd-and-8.

Burnett and HHCD are the safeties in this defensive period. Hyde was with Burnett earlier in practice.

Hyde and Richardson are the No. 2 safety pairing.

If there was a starting lineup change with HHCD, they likely would've started practice that way. Must be a rotational thing.

pittstang5
08-19-2014, 02:32 PM
Man did you cause a jinx.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 26m
Looks like Hayward is being held out. May be an injury.

McCarthy gave his infamous answer of "Being Smart with Hayward."

Teamcheez1
08-19-2014, 03:58 PM

Supposedly they're planning to waive him.

pbmax
08-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Supposedly they're planning to waive him.

Packers waive-injured Colt Lyerla (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/19/packers-waive-injured-colt-lyerla/)

He told Demovsky the Packers want him on IR and try again next year.

Joemailman
08-19-2014, 05:00 PM
I was at practice today. Defense was on the field about 20 minutes before the offense came out. They're spending a lot of time in Hutson Center working on crowd noise. Not a great day for the receivers really. Best action was in the running game segments. At one point you could here Peppers yelling at the LT "You know what's coming!" Stoneburner getting a lot more playing time with Bostick out. Seeing Bradford standing next to Matthews is startling. Hard to believe they play the same position. Guion did not practice was on the field practicing accelerating out of 3 point stance.

smuggler
08-19-2014, 06:25 PM
Don't be surprised if Lyerla gets claimed by the Patriots.

pittstang5
08-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Packers waive-injured Colt Lyerla (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/19/packers-waive-injured-colt-lyerla/)

He told Demovsky the Packers want him on IR and try again next year.

Why can't they IR him now?

pbmax
08-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Why can't they IR him now?

Not sure. But I suspect it has to do with being a UDFA and having less than minimum League contract currently. If he would have made the roster, whatever his money was from choosing GB as a UDFA would have been increased to the rookie minimum.

There are probably rules in place to avoid keeping a player all year and not having a weekly paycheck.

For instance:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1h
OK, let's get this straight once and for all: Jets added WR Shaq Evans to injured reserve, not waived/injured. Apologies for confusion.

was a fourth round pick and they sent him right to IR. It can be used the other way too. The TE the Giants lost to NE was waived in order to vacate his contract.

pbmax
08-19-2014, 07:16 PM
Story on Perry versus St. Louis and overall status.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-2012-pick-nick-perry-yet-to-prove-himself-b99330602z1-271909651.html

smuggler
08-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Before the first roster cutdown, players have to clear waivers before they can go to IR. This is to prevent IR stashing. We havent cutdown yet, so Lyerla is exposed to waivers.

pbmax
08-19-2014, 08:59 PM
from Green Bay Press Gazette:

It provides a safety net for four former undrafted free agents – safety Chris Banjo (16 games), linebacker Andy Mulumba (14 games), tight end Jake Stoneburner (nine games) and offensive lineman Lane Taylor (10 games) – who wouldn't have been eligible otherwise.

And just in case you were wondering, Eddie Lacy also still eligible.

pittstang5
08-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Before the first roster cutdown, players have to clear waivers before they can go to IR. This is to prevent IR stashing. We havent cutdown yet, so Lyerla is exposed to waivers.

Makes sense. So, why cut him now. Maybe they're looking to add someone?

pittstang5
08-20-2014, 09:38 AM
from Green Bay Press Gazette:

And just in case you were wondering, Eddie Lacy also still eligible.

Is Tolzien eligible?

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2014, 09:46 AM
Tolzien wouldn't clear waivers

jclombardi
08-20-2014, 09:58 AM
Wow! Its been a long time...woodchuck still around! HH still here? OK.

MadScientist
08-20-2014, 01:39 PM
Story on Perry versus St. Louis and overall status.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-2012-pick-nick-perry-yet-to-prove-himself-b99330602z1-271909651.html

The writing is on the wall for Peri. All the bitching about Worthy being a failure, but Peri is an even bigger bust. At least we might get a pick back for Worthy. We need the last two drafts to be as good as 2012 was bad. I still think he will make the roster this year, but no way does his option get picked up, and will be looking for work.

deake
08-20-2014, 02:21 PM
What are Tyler's credentials? Perhaps scout, coach or did he play the postion? Perhaps he is just whistling in the wind.

Zool
08-20-2014, 02:44 PM
The writing is on the wall for Peri. All the bitching about Worthy being a failure, but Peri is an even bigger bust. At least we might get a pick back for Worthy. We need the last two drafts to be as good as 2012 was bad. I still think he will make the roster this year, but no way does his option get picked up, and will be looking for work.

I don't know about bigger. At least he has some stats in game action.

pbmax
08-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 17m
The official #NFL transaction wire is out for today, and #Packers TE Colt Lyerla did pass through unclaimed. He reverts to injured reserve.

Patriots didn't bite. Clear for a placement on IR. His agent seems on board the idea as well.

Joemailman
08-20-2014, 04:35 PM
JSO has a story with the headline Packers Avoid Injury Bug.

Friday could get ugly. Just park the ambulance on the sidelines.

run pMc
08-20-2014, 06:12 PM

If McGinn wrote it, better park two.

Pugger
08-20-2014, 09:55 PM

He has cleared waivers and is still a Packer. I suppose it won't help him to be on IR becaue he can't practice but he will still be around for meetings and can observe practices. Now that I've thought about it it kinda says a lot that we cut him the way we did. If we didn't think he had anything worth developing I wonder if we would have just cut him outright. :cnf:

Carolina_Packer
08-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Good for the team, good for Colt. Since there was no way for him to make an impression/impact for another team due to his injury, and roster reductions coming, it was unlikely that a team was going to commit a valuable roster spot for him. Let him season. With some good fortune, he'll grow up a bit, get some mentoring and come in next year with an eye on not only a roster spot, but impact to the team.

bobblehead
08-21-2014, 01:28 AM
I doubt we IR him for the year. I think we reach a settlement and then put him on the practice squad when he is healthy. Just my 2 cents worth.

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2014, 01:46 AM
Not sure if this has been posted, but here's a photo of the play that caused Lyerla's injury.

Colt Lyerla injury (http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/the-photo-of-the-play-when-colt-lyerla-injured-his-knee-is-insane-photo/)

http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/IMG_3189.png

Freak Out
08-21-2014, 01:57 AM
What the hell.

vince
08-21-2014, 02:30 AM
If that guy ever gets his head screwed on straight he could be something.

Patler
08-21-2014, 06:38 AM
I doubt we IR him for the year. I think we reach a settlement and then put him on the practice squad when he is healthy. Just my 2 cents worth.

Sorry Bobble, it is IR for Lyerla:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2014/08/20/lyerla-placed-on-ir-after-clearing-waivers/14357109/

Cheesehead Craig
08-21-2014, 08:27 AM
Is he trying to do some Matrix style kick while gaining a first down?

pbmax
08-21-2014, 09:39 AM
250 lbs+ is not supposed to be that high in the air without wings or a rotor.

MadScientist
08-21-2014, 09:54 AM
He has cleared waivers and is still a Packer. I suppose it won't help him to be on IR becaue he can't practice but he will still be around for meetings and can observe practices. Now that I've thought about it it kinda says a lot that we cut him the way we did. If we didn't think he had anything worth developing I wonder if we would have just cut him outright. :cnf:

It does say a lot, but not in the way you think. From the JS posts it sound like Colt's injury was significant enough that they would have trouble reaching an injury settlement, with Colt's people arguing for a full year of IR. So the Packers were pretty much on the hook for the 300K for the year. So the next question is why waive Colt now instead of waiting a few days and just putting him directly on IR? One possible reason is that they needed the roster spot due to Bostic's injury. However given how soon cut downs are coming and the limited number of practices before the next game, that seems dubious. We'll know for certain if they have a new person in camp today. The other reason would be that they are not all that thrilled with Colt and hoped that another team would pay his IR salary for this year. Didn't happen, so he's on IR and the Packers can look at him again next year.

Teamcheez1
08-21-2014, 12:03 PM
Casey Hayward held out of practice again today. I hope this isn't his hamstring flaring up again.

KYPack
08-21-2014, 12:48 PM
Casey Hayward held out of practice again today. I hope this isn't his hamstring flaring up again.

Shit.

That kid is essential to our sub packages.

Pugger
08-21-2014, 02:43 PM
It does say a lot, but not in the way you think. From the JS posts it sound like Colt's injury was significant enough that they would have trouble reaching an injury settlement, with Colt's people arguing for a full year of IR. So the Packers were pretty much on the hook for the 300K for the year. So the next question is why waive Colt now instead of waiting a few days and just putting him directly on IR? One possible reason is that they needed the roster spot due to Bostic's injury. However given how soon cut downs are coming and the limited number of practices before the next game, that seems dubious. We'll know for certain if they have a new person in camp today. The other reason would be that they are not all that thrilled with Colt and hoped that another team would pay his IR salary for this year. Didn't happen, so he's on IR and the Packers can look at him again next year.

If they were not thrilled with Colt why didn't they just outright cut him or give him an injury settlement and called it a day instead of waive/injured knowing he'd go on IR if he was unclaimed?

Joemailman
08-21-2014, 04:03 PM
Tyler Dunne
@TyDunne
Nate Palmer and Andy Mulumba are still on first special teams units, a telling sign this point of camp.

Does this mean Bradford's spot in jeopardy?

QBME
08-21-2014, 04:20 PM
Does this mean Bradford's spot in jeopardy?

Tyler Dunne
‏@TyDunne
Carl Bradford playing a bunch this practice. Guessing he gets a long look tomorrow. Big week for the fourth-round pick.

Sounds like it's time to step up.

texaspackerbacker
08-21-2014, 04:57 PM

$300,000 is chump change for an NFL team. If he was good enough to take a chance on this season, paying that small amount is certainly worthwhile to see what he can do next season. They need to make sure he keeps his nose clean and hopefully reports in football shape next off-season. For now, his injury is a slight blessing, as it makes cut decisions less difficult.

Smidgeon
08-21-2014, 05:34 PM

Vic stated that waived/injured and reverting to IR means that the player doesn't count against the team's in-season 90 man limit. If you stash him directly to IR, they do count.

MadScientist
08-21-2014, 05:55 PM
$300,000 is chump change for an NFL team. If he was good enough to take a chance on this season, paying that small amount is certainly worthwhile to see what he can do next season. They need to make sure he keeps his nose clean and hopefully reports in football shape next off-season. For now, his injury is a slight blessing, as it makes cut decisions less difficult.

It may be chump change, but if you find a way to save $300K, you try to do so. I think the Packers were dubious about keeping him and figured if someone else wanted to pay him the 300K for being on IR, let them. Personally I'd agree with you that if they get him healthy, build him back into proper football shape and get his brain NFL ready in the meetings he will attend, then things can turn out well for the Packers. The misguided leap shows he has some athletic ability, so I'm for having another look next year.

Vic stated that waived/injured and reverting to IR means that the player doesn't count against the team's in-season 90 man limit. If you stash him directly to IR, they do count.

During the season it won't be much of an issue, how many times have they ever been even close. Not even the packers have 27 on IR. Now it can be an issue, but they didn't add a guy.

bobblehead
08-21-2014, 07:44 PM

do you want to give him a vested year to sit on IR though? We are developing him, which means that it will take a bit to get some return. If he blossoms just in time to get paid, its a waste of time. I think they put him on practice squad and don't let him get that cheap year on the books doing nothing.

Teamcheez1
08-21-2014, 08:05 PM
I read two points across the web:

1. NFL rules prohibit teams from releasing a player without an injury settlement. The Packers then would have to wait six weeks after the settlement expired to bring him back.
2. They did the same thing with Kevin Dorsey last year, so it's not that uncommon.

smuggler
08-21-2014, 09:59 PM
If I recall correctly, you can IR a player outright only after cutting down to 65.

Fritz
08-22-2014, 05:16 AM
Tyler Dunne
‏@TyDunne
Carl Bradford playing a bunch this practice. Guessing he gets a long look tomorrow. Big week for the fourth-round pick.

Sounds like it's time to step up.

It's been weird, these newbie draft picks. Kylie Thornton sounds like a long-term project, and unless the Pack keeps seven d-linemen, either he or Pennel will probably have to go. Bradford has been very "meh," Janis has been a pleasant surprise, the kid who used to play point guard (Goodson) sounds promising but raw, and of course Rodgers will stay, as will Linsley, Adams, and Clittin'-Dix.

Would the Pack cut a third and a fourth rounder? That'd be weird. I'd say Thornton has shown more promise. Bradford seems to be, so far, a JAG.

As for the OLB's, I don't see why Nate Palmer is going to be around. He's been like Caspar the Friendly Ghost - invisible - as far as I can tell. I think the writers are generating the Nick Perry controversy. He's better than Mulumba, I think, so why not keep him around to see what he can do this year? It's not like Julius Peppers is going to play here for four or five years, and Neal is on, what, a two year deal?

Joemailman
08-22-2014, 05:53 AM
Bostick has slight fracture of fibula. Likely to miss opener. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/brandon-bostick-likely-to-miss-packers-opener-b99335518z1-272256301.html

bobblehead
08-22-2014, 06:40 AM
Sorry Bobble, it is IR for Lyerla:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2014/08/20/lyerla-placed-on-ir-after-clearing-waivers/14357109/

Don't be sorry. Was just my opinion. I am surprised that they thought someone would actually poach him.

Carolina_Packer
08-22-2014, 08:26 AM

Totally agree TPB. It's low risk, possible high reward. If he was still acting up now, or does so between now and next TC, cut him. If he keeps his act together, gets in the class room/weight room and stays out of his own way, he could meet his potential, and that's a good thing.

run pMc
08-22-2014, 08:42 AM
It's been weird, these newbie draft picks. Kylie Thornton sounds like a long-term project, and unless the Pack keeps seven d-linemen, either he or Pennel will probably have to go. Bradford has been very "meh," Janis has been a pleasant surprise, the kid who used to play point guard (Goodson) sounds promising but raw, and of course Rodgers will stay, as will Linsley, Adams, and Clittin'-Dix.

Would the Pack cut a third and a fourth rounder? That'd be weird. I'd say Thornton has shown more promise. Bradford seems to be, so far, a JAG.

As for the OLB's, I don't see why Nate Palmer is going to be around. He's been like Caspar the Friendly Ghost - invisible - as far as I can tell. I think the writers are generating the Nick Perry controversy. He's better than Mulumba, I think, so why not keep him around to see what he can do this year? It's not like Julius Peppers is going to play here for four or five years, and Neal is on, what, a two year deal?

Cory Rogers would be the precedent -- IIRC he was a R4 pick that didn't make the cut. Like you, I haven't heard a lot about Palmer and I figured he was likely gone, but if he's on the top teams units that changes things, and probably means they will go thinner at another position, say ILB or TE. I don't see them cutting Perry, he is a better athlete but hasn't been as healthy as Mulumba. When Perry has been healthy he's flashed, his contract isn't onerous and he'll be a situational player. I think he's worth keeping but don't think he's the long term answer at OLB opposite Clay. I think all this means Bradford has to step up big time or he's gone. It's a numbers game and there are other players who have played better at OLB thus far.

With his size and production to date I'd think Bradford will probably not get claimed by another team and GB might be able to sign him to the PS. I'm with many here who think Bradford might be better at ILB, but that's a big switch from college DE. Kind of a weird pick by TT.

Thornton is another pick that people wondered about. Pennel has shown more and they won't be able to sneak him onto the PS, Boyd is a year ahead, and Datone, Raji and Daniels are your starters. Trading Worthy helps, but I think they'd like to keep him and have Trgovac develop him.

Don't know that Goodson makes it, even if he's a draft pick. Seems like they like Rolle and I think they are both competing for a CB spot that doesn't exist on the 53.

This is a deep team that if healthy is a legitimate contender. Not a lot of spots up for grabs.

texaspackerbacker
08-22-2014, 09:02 AM
do you want to give him a vested year to sit on IR though? We are developing him, which means that it will take a bit to get some return. If he blossoms just in time to get paid, its a waste of time. I think they put him on practice squad and don't let him get that cheap year on the books doing nothing.

I agree, but it's the lesser of the two evils - the other being the risk of losing him if we try to stash him on the practice squad and somebody else grabs him.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2014, 09:03 AM
Thornton isn't going anywhere. I think he's shown more in the games than the group think amongst the writers.

3irty1
08-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Thornton isn't going anywhere. I think he's shown more in the games than the group think amongst the writers.

Agree completely. He hasn't been the player they are writing about.

Fritz
08-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Does this mean they keep seven, or is Guion's spot in jeopardy?

Smidgeon
08-22-2014, 12:12 PM
If I recall correctly, you can IR a player outright only after cutting down to 65.

Not so. Other players on other teams have been stashed directly to IR already.

bobblehead
08-22-2014, 12:34 PM
I agree, but it's the lesser of the two evils - the other being the risk of losing him if we try to stash him on the practice squad and somebody else grabs him.

I understand that, but I look at it this way. He was not drafted by any of the 31 other teams...what has he done to date to make another team want to suddenly use a roster spot for?

bobblehead
08-22-2014, 12:35 PM

If that is so, perhaps what I read about reaching a settlement being difficult is accurate. A player doesn't endear himself to NFL GM's by refusing to settle in that situation though.

MadScientist
08-22-2014, 01:31 PM

Like Colt, those players passed through waivers. I'm pretty sure you can put a player directly on IR as part of the cut down to 65, not just after that point. Even if they could reach a settlement for say 8 weeks, with the 6 week delay after that, at best he could practice the last 2 weeks plus playoffs on the PS, and would be somewhat more likely to end up on some other team's PS.

MadScientist
08-22-2014, 01:37 PM
I understand that, but I look at it this way. He was not drafted by any of the 31 other teams...what has he done to date to make another team want to suddenly use a roster spot for?

He was passed on due to character issues, so if some other team felt they were sorted out and his talent was worth a flier pay for a year of IR, they could have picked him up. Clearly none did, but the question remains as to why he was exposed to wavers at this time.

If that is so, perhaps what I read about reaching a settlement being difficult is accurate. A player doesn't endear himself to NFL GM's by refusing to settle in that situation though.

True, there was another Packer in 2010 who wouldn't settle and then complained that the Packers didn't bother giving him a ring after hanging about on IR the whole year. Never heard from him again after that.

Patler
08-22-2014, 01:40 PM

I'm not sure at all on this, but I think it depends on whether the player is a vested veteran (4 years) or not. Vested veterans can be put on IR at anytime, I think, but the nonvested players have to go through waivers at least early in camp. I think that is why Barclay is still on the roster. If they waived him now, someone would likely grab him. They will hold him on the roster until they can move him directly to IR.

I don't think they wanted to lose Lyerla, but they were willing to take the chance. It becomes a numbers game at this point with the first cutdown coming up. No body is looking to add long-shot development guys at this time of the year, so the chance of anyone claiming Lyerla was small. No body else wanted him when he was healthy, why would they claim him now?

3irty1
08-22-2014, 02:12 PM
Does this mean they keep seven, or is Guion's spot in jeopardy?

Guion might be staying on the NFI list until week 6. If the cavalry is needed on the DL by then he can be activated or else he can be cut or stashed on the IR.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2014, 02:26 PM
Guion might be staying on the NFI list until week 6. If the cavalry is needed on the DL by then he can be activated or else he can be cut or stashed on the IR.

I think that's the plan, as well. At this point, might as well not activate him off the PUP list.

KYPack
08-22-2014, 02:42 PM
I think that's the plan, as well. At this point, might as well not activate him off the PUP list.

This was pointed out in the roster thread. They might put Guion on that limited IR. You can activate one player that you put on that list after 8 ball games. That might be a good move, altho I'd think he'd be ready a lot sooner than that.

There's also the financial consideration, he'd be paid his contract salary while on IR.

smuggler
08-22-2014, 03:50 PM
They can conserve the short term IR spot for another player by simply keeping Guion ad stated above.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2014, 03:52 PM
They can conserve the short term IR spot for another player by simply keeping Guion ad stated above.

Plus, they aren't going to put a JAG on that list. They'll save that for a star player.

Joemailman
08-24-2014, 12:17 PM
Tyler Dunne
@TyDunne
First cuts announced: CB Antonio Dennard, WR Chris Harper, LB Korey Jones, FB Ina Liaina, QB Chase Rettig and WR Gerrard Sheppard.

Joemailman
08-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Tyler Dunne
@TyDunne
Casey Hayward back for the Packers. Missed Friday's game.

Tyler Dunne
@TyDunne
JC Tretter not here. Rookie Corey Linsley replacing him with the one's. Tretter was banged up early vs Oak, but kept playing.

Tyler Dunne
@TyDunne
Micah Hyde with a tough break-up in back of the end zone on a pass to Ryan Taylor. Looks like he'll be the safety with Burnett still.

Tyler Dunne
@TyDunne
Brandon Bostick throwing the ball around with Quarless. He's off the crutches.

Aug. 24, 2014

Carolina_Packer
08-24-2014, 02:20 PM
I just heard on ESPN Radio (John Clayton reporting) that JC Tretter has a significant knee injury and will be out a while. Not sure what that means, but paging Corey Linsley. Curious to know if Garth (don't call me Toby) Gerhart was taking any reps at Center in practice.

Also, any news on Brad Jones injury?

pbmax
08-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 58m
With Tretter out, Linsley has gotten the first rep at center. But #Packers also have had Sitton at center and Lane Taylor at left guard.

I almost wonder if this is a typo or if it was Sitton not Lang getting reps.

pbmax
08-24-2014, 02:32 PM
I just heard on ESPN Radio (John Clayton reporting) that JC Tretter has a significant knee injury and will be out a while. Not sure what that means, but paging Corey Linsley. Curious to know if Garth (don't call me Toby) Gerhart was taking any reps at Center in practice.

Also, any news on Brad Jones injury?

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 32m
McCarthy on injuries: Jones (quad) not ready for KC; Raji (biceps) surgery; Tretter (significant knee injury) will be multiple weeks.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 28m
McCarthy not worried "today" for Brad Jones' availability vs. Seattle.

Joemailman
08-24-2014, 02:36 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 58m
With Tretter out, Linsley has gotten the first rep at center. But #Packers also have had Sitton at center and Lane Taylor at left guard.

I almost wonder if this is a typo or if it was Sitton not Lang getting reps.

MM:

On Lang/Sitton at guard... You have to always train three centers. That will never change. Since 2006, the guards have always been trained at center. You do so much shotgun. Playing in the stadium we'll be playing in Week 1; communication that goes on, guards a big part of that.

Hard to say, but last year when EDS had to come out of a couple games, Lang played Center.

pbmax
08-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 27m
McCarthy: I thought Derek (Sherrod) got better. He took another step. I like the way he graded out. Some of our young guys improved.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 28m
McCarthy: Letroy Guion is getting better. He's getting close.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 31m
McCarthy says Raji is not a candidate for IR with the designation to return. Will have surgery soon, he says. #Packers

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 29m
Guards always trained to play center, MM said. Both took reps at practice.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 28m
McCarthy not worried "today" for Brad Jones' availability vs. Seattle.

KYPack
08-24-2014, 09:09 PM
Plus, they aren't going to put a JAG on that list. They'll save that for a star player.

Might be Tretter's home, eh?

texaspackerbacker
08-24-2014, 09:34 PM
I wonder what the rotation will be at ILB without Brad Jones - obviously Lattimore and Barrington with Hawk, but beyond that, do we finally see Bradford there? Or a lot more of Hubbard (I think he played ILB last week), maybe the wet dream of us posters, Sean Richardson playing there?

pbmax
08-24-2014, 09:39 PM
Barrington, as he was in the previous two games, looks to be the #1 sub. Lattimore after him.

If an OLB moves, he will go to the end of the end of the depth chart. Offseason prep is 80% over.

Richardson isn't going to see ILB this year unless a boulder falls on the first string defense in its entirety.

pbmax
08-24-2014, 09:44 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/new-packer-letroy-guion-eager-to-step-up-at-nose-tackle-b99337345z1-272512451.html

The Packers' 3-4 is more of a "flat" scheme but Guion believes his "attack-and-react" style will translate to nose tackle.

I have not seen Dunne refer to the Packer and Caper Defense in this way. I wonder if this is Guion's terminology for it. We might be overestimating the penetrating part of the change. Might simply be more consistent one gap.

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2014, 10:09 PM
Barrington, as he was in the previous two games, looks to be the #1 sub. Lattimore after him.

If an OLB moves, he will go to the end of the end of the depth chart. Offseason prep is 80% over.

Richardson isn't going to see ILB this year unless a boulder falls on the first string defense in its entirety.

I'm not so sure that Barrington has moved ahead of Lattimore. I read somewhere that seemed to indicate Lattimore would be the top backup. I think Lattimore rebounded with a better game. He can cover. I think he was a little lax in the first two games, and I criticized him for it. I would think Lattimore would be the guy to replace Jones and Barrington would be the guy to replace Hawk.

Guiness
08-24-2014, 10:25 PM
Tyler Dunne
@TyDunne
First cuts announced: CB Antonio Dennard, WR Chris Harper, LB Korey Jones, FB Ina Liaina, QB Chase Rettig and WR Gerrard Sheppard.

Harper the first casualty among the WRs - thought I remembered some here having high hopes for him. Looks like that's not going to happen, the former 4th round pick can't seem to put it together. I wonder if he gets another chance somewhere.

Carolina_Packer
08-24-2014, 11:00 PM
I wonder if the players the Packers cut now either are 1) not eligible for the practice squad based on service time (Harper) or 2) the team's indication that these players were not candidates for the practice squad.

Patler
08-25-2014, 01:23 AM
I wonder if the players the Packers cut now either are 1) not eligible for the practice squad based on service time (Harper) or 2) the team's indication that these players were not candidates for the practice squad.

Actually, I think Harper is eligible under the new rules.

I read an article this week that said many teams use the first cut for players they would like on their PS. Few teams want to mess with waiver claims now with the next cutdown next weekend.

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2014, 01:39 AM

After watching him closely in this last game, Thornton was pretty awful. I thought Boyd played well. Pennel was solid, but had some shaky moments. Nobody else stood out among the young DTs.

Guiness
08-25-2014, 07:58 AM

Harper should be PS eligible. (edit: the Urinal scented is saying he is http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/272495891.html)

He'll have an accrued season towards FA, but he has to be on the game day roster 9 times for it to count wrt practice squad for it to affect his eligibility. Even if he was (I doubt it but didn't check) the new rules allow there to be up to two players who do have an accrued season on the PS.

I'm not sure he's in the conversation though. He didn't even make it past the first cuts, in the past the TT seems to sign a couple of bubble players to the PS, and brings in a couple late cuts from other teams.

pbmax
08-25-2014, 09:36 AM
I'm not so sure that Barrington has moved ahead of Lattimore. I read somewhere that seemed to indicate Lattimore would be the top backup. I think Lattimore rebounded with a better game. He can cover. I think he was a little lax in the first two games, and I criticized him for it. I would think Lattimore would be the guy to replace Jones and Barrington would be the guy to replace Hawk.

Then they are trying to up Barrington's profile because he has gone in first in both the last two games. Could be to get tape against better players, but usually that means they want to see how he projects.

But as we have seen before, the Packers do stick with known commodities at times when there is not a clear winner.

Smidgeon
08-25-2014, 10:32 AM
Like Colt, those players passed through waivers. I'm pretty sure you can put a player directly on IR as part of the cut down to 65, not just after that point. Even if they could reach a settlement for say 8 weeks, with the 6 week delay after that, at best he could practice the last 2 weeks plus playoffs on the PS, and would be somewhat more likely to end up on some other team's PS.

Nope. They don't all pass through waivers. Now, I've seen the vested veteran rules, and they clearly make sense. But the Jets rookie has been reported specifically as not going through waivers before heading to IR. I don't know what to make of it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/19/jets-place-rookie-receiver-shaq-evans-on-injured-reserve/

Patler
08-25-2014, 11:14 AM
Nope. They don't all pass through waivers. Now, I've seen the vested veteran rules, and they clearly make sense. But the Jets rookie has been reported specifically as not going through waivers before heading to IR. I don't know what to make of it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/19/jets-place-rookie-receiver-shaq-evans-on-injured-reserve/

OK, I'm officially confused now if the article is correct.
It was reported immediately by some that the Packers wanted to put Lyerla on IR, but that he had to clear waivers first.
I don't understand why they have delayed putting Barclay and Abbredaris on IR, two players they clearly do not want to lose in waivers. Both are headed to surgery if not already operated on. Why the delay?

smuggler
08-25-2014, 11:58 AM
A lot of people do not really understand the rules with respect to preseason injured reserve. That isn't limited to the amateurs.

Pugger
08-25-2014, 12:50 PM

He is practicing today so maybe his presence will soften the blow of losing Raji.

pbmax
08-25-2014, 01:04 PM
Maybe its only preventative.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 4m
Here's Linsley. Has some type of brace around his arm.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bv5k3F4CMAENpQl.jpg

pbmax
08-25-2014, 01:47 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 57m
Letroy Guion's first training camp practice. At 6-4, he's taller than everyone else on the D-Line. pic.twitter.com/pBTPg2SV9P

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bv5lVTTIAAAbT63.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Then they are trying to up Barrington's profile because he has gone in first in both the last two games. Could be to get tape against better players, but usually that means they want to see how he projects.

But as we have seen before, the Packers do stick with known commodities at times when there is not a clear winner.

Are you sure because it seems to me that they come in at the same time. JSO indicated today that Lattimore is the first option in base and Barrington in dime. Perhaps with Jones out, the first play was dime, so Barrington would come in first. You would think Lattimore would be better in coverage, but he's had his problems this preseason.

pbmax
08-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Are you sure because it seems to me that they come in at the same time. JSO indicated today that Lattimore is the first option in base and Barrington in dime. Perhaps with Jones out, the first play was dime, so Barrington would come in first. You would think Lattimore would be better in coverage, but he's had his problems this preseason.

Its possible, though I am certain Barrngton went in first when BJones went out versus the Raiders, unless Lattimore went in for a snap or two and then came out for some reason. It could have been nickel, but cannot have been dime because both he and Hawk were out there.

In Rams game, I might have missed some Lattimore snaps, my memory is not as specific about when the subs went in.

pbmax
08-25-2014, 02:13 PM
#Packers DNPs:
R.Neal
Goodson
Thomas
B.Jones
Barclay
Tiller
Tretter
Abbrederis
Bostick
Raji

Twitter highlights:

-Guion practiced in full, including some half line drill.
-Sitton was at center, including half line drill as one of the backups (not sure about Lang)
-Lattimore was in red zone D with #1, but it was an odd mix. According to Twitter, neither Shields nor Tramontana were out there, it was all safeties including Bush.
-Just to confuse the issue, both Bradford and Palmer got snaps at ILB.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Hello, Letroy Guion. Blows up the O-Line in half line (the back-ups) to take down Perkins for a 5-yard loss. The guy is fresh.

#savior :lol:

pbmax
08-25-2014, 02:22 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 2h
It's Jamari Lattimore in at ILB in base with Brad a Jones (quad) still out. Barrington may replace as dime backer.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 2h
Early on, it looks like Barrington is right. Lining up as the dime. Said he played all three LB spots at South Florida; job is more mental.

3irty1
08-25-2014, 03:16 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
Hello, Letroy Guion. Blows up the O-Line in half line (the back-ups) to take down Perkins for a 5-yard loss. The guy is fresh.

#savior :lol:

I know it doesn't mean shit but this is still good to hear. I didn't want to need Guion this season. He's pretty stout for his size but he's also incredibly slow for his size. My expectations aren't high.

pbmax
08-25-2014, 03:34 PM
I know it doesn't mean shit but this is still good to hear. I didn't want to need Guion this season. He's pretty stout for his size but he's also incredibly slow for his size. My expectations aren't high.

They just need that size in the middle to take some pressure of Boyd and the rooks. If he is passable, it will be a success.

Pugger
08-25-2014, 03:55 PM
They just need that size in the middle to take some pressure of Boyd and the rooks. If he is passable, it will be a success.

Yes, we just need him to plug up the middle of the line like Raji was doing. After losing BJ I'm kinda glad he's on the roster.

Joemailman
08-25-2014, 04:36 PM

Some things are just meant to happen.

pbmax
08-25-2014, 04:42 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 2m
NFL's scouting report on Bradford: "With his frame and straight-line burst, I feel he is ideally suited to be an inside linebacker in a 3-4"

If this happens, the entire board should get a Gold Star.

vince
08-25-2014, 04:48 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 2m
NFL's scouting report on Bradford: "With his frame and straight-line burst, I feel he is ideally suited to be an inside linebacker in a 3-4"

If this happens, the entire board should get a Gold Star.
Except me. With his lack of length I think he'd be a liability there too. He's gonna struggle getting off blocks wherever he's at and he has no experience covering anyone especially sideline to sideline.

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2014, 05:03 PM
Except me. With his lack of length I think he'd be a liability there too. He's gonna struggle getting off blocks wherever he's at and he has no experience covering anyone especially sideline to sideline.

Outside of Jones, all of the Packers ILBs are between 6'-6'2", so he falls in line with the rest at ILB. At OLB he sticks out like a sore thumb. He's the shortest of the bunch. The top ILBs for the Steelers are all 6'1", so I don't think his height is much of an issue at that spot in this scheme.

smuggler
08-25-2014, 05:12 PM
If he is actually that tall to begin with

pbmax
08-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Sounds more like the kid is fighting for a roster spot of ANY kind.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 29s
Dom Capers on Bradford: "This game is our last evaluation so he could get reps inside, outside, and see how he does" http://pck.rs/1pa8NOH

Harlan Huckleby
08-25-2014, 06:25 PM
Would he consider some work at nose guard?

vince
08-26-2014, 04:27 AM
Outside of Jones, all of the Packers ILBs are between 6'-6'2", so he falls in line with the rest at ILB. At OLB he sticks out like a sore thumb. He's the shortest of the bunch. The top ILBs for the Steelers are all 6'1", so I don't think his height is much of an issue at that spot in this scheme.
I'm all for giving Bradford a shot at ILB on the PS. He hasn't done much of anything on special teams either I don't believe....

It's just the combination of short arms, average (at best) speed, lack of coverage experience, not shedding blocks and getting thrown over the top that has me skeptical.

He has some explosiveness and perhaps good instincts (moving in one direction for the most part) so maybe with a year's worth of reps on the practice field he can make the transition.

Given all that though, I think his upside on the inside is JAG. If he's not a special teams demon, which his assets should translate quickly there, that's not good.

bobblehead
08-26-2014, 06:40 AM

Me too. I think I was first, or close to it in saying Hyde was a safety, but Bradford just looks bad to me. I don't see him as anything to be honest. If AJ Hawk is a poor mans Ray Lewis, Bradford is a dead broke man's AJ Hawk.

Fritz
08-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Looks like Carl is willing to do anything to stick:

"Right now, I'm up for anything," Bradford said. "Wherever they place me, I'm going to work....Wherever I can fit in, I'm willing to play anything. Whatever they tell me to do. Blow the coaches. Sell hot dogs. Anything."

run pMc
08-26-2014, 11:15 AM
They'll try to put Bradford on the PS and develop him. I don't see him sticking on the 53 unless Brad Jones can't go Game 1 or Bradford plays lights out in this last preseason game.

McGinn has wondered about whether a 4-3 team might try to snag him and play him as a designated pass rusher, but I don't think he has enough good tape to warrant that. Also, as others have said, no matter the effort, his size and short arms are going to get him engulfed by all the 6-5 OT's in the NFL. I'd give him a shot inside at ILB and see if he turns into Desmond Bishop Jr., but at this point I'm skeptical so it's likely to turn out to be a bad pick. Jayrone Elliott will (IMO) make the team over this guy, so that makes up for it.

Smidgeon
08-26-2014, 11:32 AM
Was Cory Rodgers signed to another squad after GB cut him? I'm guessing these higher round draft picks are all signed by another squad right away. And then cut soon after since they actually suck.

Teamcheez1
08-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Was Cory Rodgers signed to another squad after GB cut him? I'm guessing these higher round draft picks are all signed by another squad right away. And then cut soon after since they actually suck.

On July 25, 2006, Rodgers officially signed a contract with the Green Bay Packers, but on September 2, 2006, Rodgers was released by the Packers in the final round of cuts to the 53 man roster to begin the 2006 season. On September 4, 2006, Rodgers signed to the San Francisco 49ers practice squad but was later released on September 26, 2006.

In June of the 2007 CFL season, Rodgers made his debut with the BC Lions of the Canadian Football League. In his debut season with the Lions, he caught 27 passes for 351 yards and for 3 touchdowns. He was released on July 8, 2009.

On July 23, 2009, he was signed to the practice roster of the Toronto Argonauts. Rodgers was later activated and played in his first game as an Argonaut on August 1, 2009 at home against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. In his Argo debut, Rodgers had 6 receptions for 54 yards while also making 1 punt return for 11 yards. Rodgers was later released by the Argos on September 1, 2009.

wist43
08-26-2014, 11:47 AM
We are so going to get run over this year, lol...

3irty1
08-26-2014, 12:21 PM
If you go watch some of Bradford in college its a lot more obvious why he is where he is. He strikes me as a guy who is nothing special if he can't rev his motor in a full contact game. His game is motor and violence kind of like Desmond Bishop was. Makes for a terrible practice player whose easy to overlook but can surprise you when pressed into service.

3irty1
08-26-2014, 12:26 PM
We are so going to get run over this year, lol...

I'm surprised you haven't started the Mike Pennel fan club yet. He looks like what your boy Brandon Williams wants to be when he grows up.

pbmax
08-26-2014, 01:21 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 12s
Well then RT @TomPelissero #Packers waived Colt Lyerla with an injury settlement after all.

Maybe he isn't done.

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 2m
Reasoning for #Packers waiving Lyerla: if they IR'd him, that'd mean another full year without playing football. This way he has a chance.

Smidgeon
08-26-2014, 02:29 PM
Well then RT @TomPelissero #Packers waived Colt Lyerla with an injury settlement after all.

Maybe he isn't done.

Reasoning for #Packers waiving Lyerla: if they IR'd him, that'd mean another full year without playing football. This way he has a chance.

But this means not until Week 7 for the Packers, right? IF they still want him.

smuggler
08-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Just the same as getting PUP'd but without the practice window.

Guiness
08-26-2014, 02:58 PM

Maybe he isn't done.

I'm a little confused about what this means, and why the Packers would do it this way. It could mean, of course, that they are done with him.

What's the advantage of an injury settlement? Should be less money than a full year's salary, and they can re-sign him after a period of time, saving the 'designated for return' tag.

Am I getting this right?

hoosier
08-26-2014, 03:55 PM
I'm a little confused about what this means, and why the Packers would do it this way. It could mean, of course, that they are done with him.

What's the advantage of an injury settlement? Should be less money than a full year's salary, and they can re-sign him after a period of time, saving the 'designated for return' tag.

Am I getting this right?

Maybe he gets pee essed.

Teamcheez1
08-26-2014, 04:07 PM
It sounds to me like they are done with Lyerla. He can't return to the team until 6 weeks after the injury settlement, which would be Week 14. However he can sign with any team or practice squad after Week 8 besides us.

If we really wanted him, I believe we would have kept him on IR. It's always possible he didn't want to be on IR and requested the settlement.

Guiness
08-26-2014, 04:17 PM
It sounds to me like they are done with Lyerla. He can't return to the team until 6 weeks after the injury settlement, which would be Week 14. However he can sign with any team or practice squad after Week 8 besides us.

If we really wanted him, I believe we would have kept him on IR. It's always possible he didn't want to be on IR and requested the settlement.

Does signing an injury settlement automatically mean out until week 8?

Teamcheez1
08-26-2014, 04:20 PM
Does signing an injury settlement automatically mean out until week 8?

We gave him an 8 week injury settlement. 8 weeks plus the 6 weeks equals 14 weeks for the Packers. Any other team may sign him after the 8 weeks.

Pugger
08-26-2014, 04:33 PM
I think we will still be paying him for 8 more weeks. If we put him on permanent IR he couldn't play this season but because he is injured they just can't just cut him outright, right? If this is what the thinking is they may have decided he should be playing/practicing instead of sitting in meetings. Now in a few weeks we could add him to the PS so he can get the coaching he desperately needs. Or maybe another team will sign him once his knee heals. IMO Ted and company thought this was the best thing for the player. Kudos.

Teamcheez1
08-26-2014, 04:47 PM
I think we will still be paying him for 8 more weeks. If we put him on permanent IR he couldn't play this season but because he is injured they just can't just cut him outright, right? If this is what the thinking is they may have decided he should be playing/practicing instead of sitting in meetings. Now in a few weeks we could add him to the PS so he can get the coaching he desperately needs. Or maybe another team will sign him once his knee heals. IMO Ted and company thought this was the best thing for the player. Kudos.

He was the 7th TE on the depth chart. It's business, not personal.

Leave the gun, take the cannoli. (Fixed - too much multi-tasking).

Joemailman
08-26-2014, 04:53 PM
He was the 7th TE on the depth chart. It's business, not personal.

Take the gun, leave the cannoli.

It's leave the gun, take the cannoli.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHzh0PvMWTI

Teamcheez1
08-26-2014, 05:22 PM
On Tuesday, the Packers placed the following six players on injured reserve:

WR Jared Abbrederis (knee),
G/T Don Barclay (knee)
RB Rajion Neal (knee)
DL B.J. Raji (biceps)
LB Joe Thomas (knee)
G Andrew Tiller (calf).

We are now at 75 players.

smuggler
08-26-2014, 05:51 PM
Lyerla is done in GB methinks. It was probably Lyerla that wanted out. He probably just really wants to try and play this year.

hoosier
08-26-2014, 07:13 PM
Bummer about Rajion Neal. I was hoping to see him as one of the annual surprise undrafted FAs.

Packgator
08-26-2014, 07:16 PM
On Tuesday, the Packers placed the following six players on injured reserve:

WR Jared Abbrederis (knee),
G/T Don Barclay (knee)
RB Rajion Neal (knee)
DL B.J. Raji (biceps)
LB Joe Thomas (knee)
G Andrew Tiller (calf).

We are now at 75 players.

Six to IR. I wonder what the league average (to IR) is?

smuggler
08-26-2014, 07:25 PM
Thomas and Neal are definite stashes. Have to think Tiller, too.

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2014, 07:37 PM

Most of the practice squad comes from other teams.

Or maybe not. But a lot do.

Joemailman
08-26-2014, 07:57 PM

Maybe. But they could be released after reaching an injury settlement. I think Neal stays though.

bobblehead
08-27-2014, 06:51 AM

My 2 cents are going up like yahoo in the 90's.

Joemailman
08-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Tyler Dunne
@TyDunne
Matt Flynn takes the first offensive snap at practice, looks like he gets the start vs Kansas City.
Aug. 27, 2014

Joemailman
08-27-2014, 10:49 AM
Tyler Dunne
@TyDunne
So even though it looks like Rodgers won't play, new center Corey Linsley will. Snapping to Flynn right now. Adams/Boykin/Gillett at WR.
Aug. 27, 2014

MadScientist
08-27-2014, 10:59 AM
Lyerla is done in GB methinks. It was probably Lyerla that wanted out. He probably just really wants to try and play this year.

TT said this at the presser:

On if he wants Colt Lyerla back... I don't know. Reached an injury settlement with Colt and he's a free agent. We'll see.

Which is TT speak for "No, he's not good enough". The comments about possibly switching Colt to FB makes it sound like they had some serious issues with him at TE, most likely given the reports of drops it is his hands.

I doubt Colt pushed for the settlement. 8 weeks on IR is $150K for him. TT probably said if he forces the full year on IR, TT will put word out and Colt won't even get a sniff from any team in the future.

texaspackerbacker
08-27-2014, 11:37 AM
TT said this at the presser:

Which is TT speak for "No, he's not good enough". The comments about possibly switching Colt to FB makes it sound like they had some serious issues with him at TE, most likely given the reports of drops it is his hands.

I doubt Colt pushed for the settlement. 8 weeks on IR is $150K for him. TT probably said if he forces the full year on IR, TT will put word out and Colt won't even get a sniff from any team in the future.

I really doubt that's the way things work, but I don't really have a better explanation either. It will be a damn shame if Lyerla catches on with some other team and becomes a decent player - that we could have had for a mere additional $150,000.

I could also see a bad end for the player here too. Instead of being in a healthy and controlled environment with the Packers, he is out there on his own, a history of drug abuse, and $150,000 to feed his habit.

MadScientist
08-27-2014, 12:17 PM
I really doubt that's the way things work, but I don't really have a better explanation either. It will be a damn shame if Lyerla catches on with some other team and becomes a decent player - that we could have had for a mere additional $150,000.

I could also see a bad end for the player here too. Instead of being in a healthy and controlled environment with the Packers, he is out there on his own, a history of drug abuse, and $150,000 to feed his habit.

I may well be overstating the pressure TT put on Colt and his agent to take the settlement. I really think that TT is done with Colt, first with putting him through wavers instead of straight to IR, then the settlement and finally his comment, it all adds up to not being interested in keeping Colt. Sure, this could be a big mistake and the guy could wind up being a good one. That happens, but this is a business and if you don't see a future for a player, get rid of him as soon and as cheaply as possible. TT decided that the rights to Colt were not worth an additional $150K.

Smidgeon
08-27-2014, 12:22 PM

A lot of tea leaf reading going on here. It's all speculation, of course.

But based on what TT has said (which he never tips his hand, so it's pointless to "translate" what he says) and what the agent has said (again, could have an ulterior motive), GB remains interested in Colt, but likely only if the next four months go well when Colt is independent.

I get the impression through the few agent tweets I read that both Colt and the agent are grateful for the Packers to take a chance on him, have a good relationship with the Packers, and both are more interested in getting Colt back to the Packers later than to another team.

Of course, it's all speculation, of course.

pbmax
08-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 3h
The offensive line for Matt Flynn tomorrow looking like Sherrod, Taylor, Linsley, Gerhart, Adams left to right.

Going to need to be on Sherrod watch early tomorrow.

bobblehead
08-27-2014, 07:36 PM
I may well be overstating the pressure TT put on Colt and his agent to take the settlement. I really think that TT is done with Colt, first with putting him through wavers instead of straight to IR, then the settlement and finally his comment, it all adds up to not being interested in keeping Colt. Sure, this could be a big mistake and the guy could wind up being a good one. That happens, but this is a business and if you don't see a future for a player, get rid of him as soon and as cheaply as possible. TT decided that the rights to Colt were not worth an additional $150K.

I think you are misreading the comments. Lyerla will be/is a free agent. TT isn't going to send out a signal to other teams that he wants him back eventually...not fair to the packers or the player to do that. He simply stated a fact. Free agent. We will reassess later if he isn't already with another team.

pbmax
08-27-2014, 08:41 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 3h
Former #Packers C Greg Van Roten is cut by Seattle.

MadScientist
08-28-2014, 01:20 AM
I think you are misreading the comments. Lyerla will be/is a free agent. TT isn't going to send out a signal to other teams that he wants him back eventually...not fair to the packers or the player to do that. He simply stated a fact. Free agent. We will reassess later if he isn't already with another team.

If it were just the quotes, then maybe. However the actions speak louder than the words and the actions say that the Packers are done with Colt.

bobblehead
08-28-2014, 01:23 AM
If it were just the quotes, then maybe. However the actions speak louder than the words and the actions say that the Packers are done with Colt.

I disagree. I think the actions say he wasn't worth IRing for an entire season. I believe that if he is available when the time comes he MIGHT be on our PS.

EDIT: Just my 2 cents worth, which is now my nickels worth.

vince
08-28-2014, 06:39 AM
I disagree. I think the actions say he wasn't worth IRing for an entire season. I believe that if he is available when the time comes he MIGHT be on our PS.

EDIT: Just my 2 cents worth, which is now my nickels worth.
Nice call bobble. I'd say the two most likely possibilities are that you're indeed right about the Packers wanting to get him a chance to get on the field this year...or the other possibility might be that he hasn't kept up his end of the bargain off the field.

A guy like him only needs to show up with a hangover once or twice to raise some serious questions. Our exclusive insider report of him driving around in the souped-up Charger with shaded windows, bumpin' tunes and shady buddies might raise even more.

I have a hard time seeing the third possibility that they just don't think he can play - even with his less than stellar start. He was rusty but I think there's little chance the scouting department doesn't think this guy has the talent to try to develop.

Bossman641
08-28-2014, 09:14 AM
Anybody else catch Rodgers and Flynn rocking the Canadian tuxedos yesterday?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwELf0RCYAAy-J3.jpg