PDA

View Full Version : As my first official post...

scooterwfr
08-29-2006, 09:04 AM
I would simply like to reiterate... that yes everyone, we can calm down, because it IS just preseason. :smile: However, do allow yourselves to worry, as I'm sure we all are. Last night's game boiled down to one single point. Quarterback pressure. On BOTH sides of the football. Favre didn't have time to do anything last night, and Palmer had all the time in the world. Our main problem, as others have also pointed out, is our line play and if we start to play better in the trenches everything else will fall into place. Of the two preseason losses, horrible line play was the main culprit, along with poor tackling. The Atlanta game had by far the cleanest line play including defensive pressure and offensive protection. As soon as this clicks like it did that game, we should be fine.

mmmdk
08-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Welcome, scooterwfr ! Good first post.

jack's smirking revenge
08-29-2006, 09:07 AM
I would simply like to reiterate... that yes everyone, we can calm down, because it IS just preseason. :smile: However, do allow yourselves to worry, as I'm sure we all are. Last night's game boiled down to one single point. Quarterback pressure. On BOTH sides of the football. Favre didn't have time to do anything last night, and Palmer had all the time in the world. Our main problem, as others have also pointed out, is our line play and if we start to play better in the trenches everything else will fall into place. Of the two preseason losses, horrible line play was the main culprit, along with poor tackling. The Atlanta game had by far the cleanest line play including defensive pressure and offensive protection. As soon as this clicks like it did that game, we should be fine.

Have you considered that the NFC is just terribly weak? Our first-team offense and defense have been wholly dominated by two premier AFC squads now.

After watching 2 out of 3 blowout games, what makes you believe that the line play will get sorted out by the regular season? Or at all this season?

tyler

MJZiggy
08-29-2006, 09:10 AM
Welcome to the forum, scooterwfr. The line play was weak, but they did flash a little in 3Qtr. There were a few times I noticed Brett having a decent amount of time but nothing opened up for him. There were flashes and if we can capitalize on them and learn from the rest of it, we can begin to hope for improvement. We'll see who's left on the team at the end of the day and how they perform next week. Hopefully it won't be too schizophrenic a season.

jack's smirking revenge
08-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Welcome to the forum, scooterwfr. The line play was weak, but they did flash a little in 3Qtr. There were a few times I noticed Brett having a decent amount of time but nothing opened up for him. There were flashes and if we can capitalize on them and learn from the rest of it, we can begin to hope for improvement. We'll see who's left on the team at the end of the day and how they perform next week. Hopefully it won't be too schizophrenic a season.

Whoops! Forgot the welcome. Thanks for reminding me Zig!

The AFC looks amazing this year, with extremely solid teams in SD, Denver, and Cincinatti. Strange that the best team out of the NFC may be the Cowgirls.....

tyler

Rastak
08-29-2006, 09:23 AM

Have you considered that the NFC is just terribly weak? Our first-team offense and defense have been wholly dominated by two premier AFC squads now.

After watching 2 out of 3 blowout games, what makes you believe that the line play will get sorted out by the regular season? Or at all this season?

tyler

Well, the NFC isn't that weak...I mean one NFC North team beat the Steelers on the road and dominated the Ravens (who whupped the Iggles the week before)

:mrgreen:

scooterwfr
08-29-2006, 09:23 AM
Glad to be here and thanks for the welcome.

To JSR, yes I have considered that the NFC is terribly weak, and you are absolutely right, it is. Since you pointed it out, it also helps you put a little more of a positive spin on the losses as well. Not only is our division weak, but so is the entire NFC. Everyone being weaks gives us even more hope that we could turn this around. Anything can happen in this league and we are fortunate enough to have some veterans that could potentially turn these young players into an outstanding football team, but yes, it does take time. Both of our lines are young, and have not played with one another very long. I know that it is hard to wait for them to "gel", but it something we have to suffer through. I believe the Bears game will tell the story of how our season will progress, not last night's game, or the other two for that matter.

jack's smirking revenge
08-29-2006, 09:24 AM

tyler

Well, the NFC isn't that weak...I mean one NFC North team beat the Steelers on the road and dominated the Ravens (who whupped the Iggles the week before)

:mrgreen:

Now, if only they could stay out of jail...

tyler

chewy-bacca
08-29-2006, 09:25 AM
Welcome!

yes the AFC is nasty. They must be stoped in our lifetime before they kill somebody! :lol:

jack's smirking revenge
08-29-2006, 09:28 AM
Glad to be here and thanks for the welcome.

To JSR, yes I have considered that the NFC is terribly weak, and you are absolutely right, it is. Since you pointed it out, it also helps you put a little more of a positive spin on the losses as well. Not only is our division weak, but so is the entire NFC. Everyone being weaks gives us even more hope that we could turn this around. Anything can happen in this league and we are fortunate enough to have some veterans that could potentially turn these young players into an outstanding football team, but yes, it does take time. Both of our lines are young, and have not played with one another very long. I know that it is hard to wait for them to "gel", but it something we have to suffer through. I believe the Bears game will tell the story of how our season will progress, not last night's game, or the other two for that matter.

I've said this previously and apologize if I sound repetitive, but I wholly believe that 2007 will be a much different Packer year. I see 2006 at a hardcore growing pains year. It will be frustrating and it will be heart-wrenching, but there is a light at the end of the long tunnel. We are one of the youngest teams in the league. Next year, the 2006 experience and greater depth and talent will turn this thing around.

I just don't see an NFC team stacking up with any AFC team. Yes, its preseason, but if you watch the first half of these games, there is some hardcore domination going on by the AFC.

tyler

Partial
08-29-2006, 09:28 AM

The AFC looks amazing this year, with extremely solid teams in SD, Denver, and Cincinatti. Strange that the best team out of the NFC may be the Cowgirls.....

tyler

I don't necessarily buy that. San Diego is starting a new quarterback, I feel like they're overrated. It concerns me that the team hasn't shown up to play twice. In the San Diego game the team kept fighting. This week, they gave up. I think thats where the problem was.

jack's smirking revenge
08-29-2006, 09:29 AM

tyler

I don't necessarily buy that. San Diego is starting a new quarterback, I feel like they're overrated. It concerns me that the team hasn't shown up to play twice. In the San Diego game the team kept fighting. This week, they gave up. I think thats where the problem was.

Has LaDanian even shown up yet? Once he takes the field in regular season, the SD team will be a whole lot different. They may be a tad bit inconsistent right now, but one of the best RBs in the league hasn't even gotten into a groove.

tyler

Partial
08-29-2006, 09:34 AM

tyler

Has LaDanian even shown up yet? I rest my case.

tyler

Ok, and they're a good team, but there are plenty of good teams. San Diego didn't make the playoffs last year. I doubt they will this year either. San Diego has a punishing defense. I will give them that. So does Dallas, Philadephia, Washington and New York. Cincinatti doesn't have a smash mouth defense, they seem more about finesse in my opinion, and they destructed us last night. We looked like a slew of fairies. Carolina and Tampa Bay both look as good or better than most of the AFC teams. Seattle is possibly the best team in the league. Point is, the AFC is overrated, and saying we were destructed by two good teams is a true statement, but saying they are elite and thats why we lost is a cop out and a lame excuse. We didn't play with any heart, and that is not a testament to those teams, it is a testament to the coaching staff.

Cheesehead Craig
08-29-2006, 09:37 AM
but I wholly believe that 2007 will be a much different Packer year. I see 2006 at a hardcore growing pains year. It will be frustrating and it will be heart-wrenching, but there is a light at the end of the long tunnel. We are one of the youngest teams in the league. Next year, the 2006 experience and greater depth and talent will turn this thing around.

tyler
Pretty hard to disagree with that.

Charles Woodson
08-29-2006, 09:47 AM

tyler

San Diego will be premier team this year...think of it this way, yes i know that we are horrible, but they beat us without and i repeat without LT,

chewy-bacca
08-29-2006, 09:53 AM
but I wholly believe that 2007 will be a much different Packer year. I see 2006 at a hardcore growing pains year. It will be frustrating and it will be heart-wrenching, but there is a light at the end of the long tunnel. We are one of the youngest teams in the league. Next year, the 2006 experience and greater depth and talent will turn this thing around.

tyler

way to early to be thinking next year. Lets atleast get into the reg. season before we turn to next year.

Partial
08-29-2006, 09:54 AM

tyler

San Diego will be premier team this year...think of it this way, yes i know that we are horrible, but they beat us without and i repeat without LT,

They won't be as good as last year, and they didn't make the playoffs last year. Granted, they were probably the best team ever to not make the playoffs, but the fact remains that they blew a lot of games they shouldn't have last year with a more experienced QB at the helm

Charles Woodson
08-29-2006, 09:57 AM

tyler

They won't be as good as last year, and they didn't make the playoffs last year. Granted, they were probably the best team ever to not make the playoffs, but the fact remains that they blew a lot of games they shouldn't have last year with a more experienced QB at the helm

True, but i still think that they can take there division, they have a pretty damn good defense, and a disgusting offense

jack's smirking revenge
08-29-2006, 09:59 AM

tyler

tyler

Ok, and they're a good team, but there are plenty of good teams. San Diego didn't make the playoffs last year. I doubt they will this year either. San Diego has a punishing defense. I will give them that. So does Dallas, Philadephia, Washington and New York. Cincinatti doesn't have a smash mouth defense, they seem more about finesse in my opinion, and they destructed us last night. We looked like a slew of fairies. Carolina and Tampa Bay both look as good or better than most of the AFC teams. Seattle is possibly the best team in the league. Point is, the AFC is overrated, and saying we were destructed by two good teams is a true statement, but saying they are elite and thats why we lost is a cop out and a lame excuse. We didn't play with any heart, and that is not a testament to those teams, it is a testament to the coaching staff.

I just don't see how you think the AFC is overrated. SD, Denver, Indy, NE, Cincy, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville.... If KC could get their Oline figured out, then they could be a force too with Johnson. The talent level is absolutely tilted toward the AFC. Philly, Washington and NY haven't shown us anything so far. Washington was DESTROYED by NE this weekend. Philly squeaked by Pittsburgh. SD was 14-14 in the first quarter with Seattle.

I will agree with you that Carolina looks really good, but I haven't got a good read on Tampa yet. I don't know how you've got a good read on either Tampa or Seattle. As for Seattle being the best team in the league, I disagree with you on that one. It's too early to peg any team as the "best in the league" through preseason. In that sense, your argument is wrong since SD was beaten by Seattle, though neither of the best RBs in the league did a whole lot.

My bottom line is that its too early to start power rankings in this league. All you can do is look at the outcomes of the first halves of games over the last few weeks. The AFC has been very successful.

tyler

jack's smirking revenge
08-29-2006, 10:04 AM

tyler

way to early to be thinking next year. Lets atleast get into the reg. season before we turn to next year.

Can you list the positives that you've seen from this team so far in pre-season, other than a lack of major injuries?

tyler

chewy-bacca
08-29-2006, 10:06 AM
hey man, im just saying week -3 is not the time to turn to next year, wait till we are 0-3 or something.

I hope half the reward for next year will be watching the team grow this year.

Charles Woodson
08-29-2006, 10:11 AM

tyler

tyler

I just don't see how you think the AFC is overrated. SD, Denver, Indy, NE, Cincy, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville.... If KC could get their Oline figured out, then they could be a force too with Johnson. The talent level is absolutely tilted toward the AFC. Philly, Washington and NY haven't shown us anything so far. Washington was DESTROYED by NE this weekend. Philly squeaked by Pittsburgh. SD was 14-14 in the first quarter with Seattle.

I will agree with you that Carolina looks really good, but I haven't got a good read on Tampa yet. I don't know how you've got a good read on either Tampa or Seattle. As for Seattle being the best team in the league, I disagree with you on that one. It's too early to peg any team as the "best in the league" through preseason. In that sense, your argument is wrong since SD was beaten by Seattle, though neither of the best RBs in the league did a whole lot.

My bottom line is that its too early to start power rankings in this league. All you can do is look at the outcomes of the first halves of games over the last few weeks. The AFC has been very successful.

tyler

agreed, the afc is much more dominant than the nfc, heres a little something...since 1998, the afc has won the superbowl 6 times, to the nfc 2

Cheesehead Craig
08-29-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm certainly not writing off the season, just agreeing with Tyler that this year is mostly a building block for next season. We go 6-10 or 7-9 that is still an improvement over last season and the young guys get more experience to make a solid run at 2007. I think it's a fairly realistic approach to take.

jack's smirking revenge
08-29-2006, 10:13 AM
hey man, im just saying week -3 is not the time to turn to next year, wait till we are 0-3 or something.

I hope half the reward for next year will be watching the team grow this year.

I know what you're saying and I hate being pessimistic about this squad, especially this early. And you're right, nobody should be pessimistic in preseason because the season hasn't officially started. But I truly don't believe in that "anything can happen" B.S. There are teams that are talent-rich out there and have their shit together and we're not one of them right now. We went from "the sky is falling" in week 1 to "perhaps we're better than we thought" in week 2 to "how could we look worse than week1?" yesterday. And in front of a national audience on Monday Night Football. We were blown away in the first half with our offensive and defensive starters in. What better indication do you need of what's going to happen in 2006?

Schizophrenic teams are not successful ones. Consistent teams are the ones that find success.

I wasn't trying to get on your case. I am genuinely curious what people out there see as positives with this team right now. Maybe I'll start that as another thread.

tyler

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2006, 10:30 AM

We'll see how much it matters come week one. You'll have one team (Washington) that has sucked in preseason and has a premier RB and CB out against another team (Minnesota) who looked decent in their first two preseason games and dominating in their third game.

What's going to happen when Green Bay plays Chicago? Both teams have one solid victory and two embarrassing losses.

Rastak
08-29-2006, 10:41 AM

We'll see how much it matters come week one. You'll have one team (Washington) that has sucked in preseason and has a premier RB and CB out against another team (Minnesota) who looked decent in their first two preseason games and dominating in their third game.

What's going to happen when Green Bay plays Chicago? Both teams have one solid victory and two embarrassing losses.

I thought my comment would slide past everyone, but I should have known you'd catch it.

Yea, none of this really matter come week one, I know that but results for the purple have been encouraging anyway.

jack's smirking revenge
08-29-2006, 11:14 AM

I thought my comment would slide past everyone, but I should have known you'd catch it.

Yea, none of this really matter come week one, I know that but results for the purple have been encouraging anyway.

Oh, I caught it. I just thought I'd let you bask in your purple pride. The Vikes did bash the Ravens pretty well--not that anyone is expecting anything from the Ravens this year.... I think the Iggles are highly overrated and will be a surprise flop this year, so its no surprise that the Ravens beat up on them.

tyler