PDA

View Full Version : Jordy Nelson signs extension.

Brandon494
07-26-2014, 10:12 AM
JORDY NELSON SIGNS 4 YEAR EXTENSION FOR 39 MILLION!!! :cow:

According to Ian Rapaport

Brandon494
07-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Pete Dougherty @PeteDougherty · 10m
First look at Reported Nelson contract, agent n reports will say extension averages $9.76 mil ($39 mil for 4 new yrs) but in reality ...

Pete Dougherty @PeteDougherty · 7m
... Have to count this yr too. If '14 base stays same I think it's about $3 mil so he has new 5 yr deal worth 42 mil, or avg of $8.4 mil with only $14.2M guaranteed

Tony Oday
07-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Great move

Pugger
07-26-2014, 11:40 AM
:clap:

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Nelson was the one I was worried about losing. There is no way TT is not going to sign Cobb. So assuming we lock up Cobb, then Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Abbredris, Rodgers, and Janis are are locked up for the next four seasons. Can you imagine if the rookies turn out to be solid players? For the next four seasons all your main pass catchers will be locked up and thats not including Boykin or anyone else you pick up along the way. Now that Nelson is locked up I'm very excited about the potential of the receiving group going forward.

denverYooper
07-26-2014, 12:01 PM
He has always been a great pro and top-notch player for Green Bay. He deserves it.

Guiness
07-26-2014, 12:38 PM
Great signing of a great player. Early reports that he got more than a quarter ($11.5M) up front, but not worried about that, he's the last guy I see going south after a big contract.

Now get'er done with Cobb. Hopefully he'll come a little cheaper, team should be able to with his injury history and although he's lit it up when healthy, he hasn't put up consistently big numbers because of his injuries.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/26/packers-extend-jordy-nelson/

Fritz
07-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Pete Dougherty @PeteDougherty · 10m
First look at Reported Nelson contract, agent n reports will say extension averages $9.76 mil ($39 mil for 4 new yrs) but in reality ...

Pete Dougherty @PeteDougherty · 7m
... Have to count this yr too. If '14 base stays same I think it's about $3 mil so he has new 5 yr deal worth 42 mil, or avg of $8.4 mil with only $14.2M guaranteed

seems pretty reasonable. I like it.

digitaldean
07-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Agree that getting Nelson re-upped was critical. With Cobb, be interesting to see how they handle it. Do they let him play through the season and see how he stays healthy? Also have to consider how the newly drafted WRs perform. That would give TT added leverage if they were up against the cap.

Want Cobb re-signed, but not at a Jennings-like contract

red
07-26-2014, 01:38 PM
Great move

Getting jordy at 8.4 a year is a bargain

Now go give cobb the same offer. I bet he would take a 4 year, 39 million extension. Giveing him an average cap number of just under 8 million a year

Getting both jordy and cobb locked up long term for 16.5 million total a year would be damn fine imo

denverYooper
07-26-2014, 02:23 PM
Paul Imig ‏@Paulimig 48m
Jordy Nelson: "I don’t like the word ‘worth’ … Don’t think any of us are worth this money. But it’s your value & the business we’re part of"

denverYooper
07-26-2014, 02:26 PM
@ESPNStatsInfo: Only 4 players with 3,000+ Rec Yds & 30+ Rec TD over last 3 seasons: C.Johnson, D.Bryant, J.Graham and Jordy Nelson.

King Friday
07-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Jordy and Rodgers have developed a tremendous rapport. Very fair contract for both sides IMO. Jordy has earned every penny...and while he could probably get more on the open market, he would go somewhere with a less talented QB and never be able to make the impact he does in Green Bay. With the Packers, he will remain a threat for years to come.

pbmax
07-26-2014, 04:07 PM
I didn't think he would get $10 mil per, but the post about the rapidly rising cap (starting next year) made me think $10 mil per might be the new low level #1 veteran receiver price. So a 4 year deal at less than $10/yr would have made me happy.

That it could be 5 years at less than $9mi/year is just a credit to Nelson and Thompson/Ball. I hope Jordy's family gets coupons for game day refreshments or something.

run pMc
07-26-2014, 04:08 PM
Good move. Jordy is worth that IMO.
With all the rookie-contract WRs on the roster, they can probably afford to sign Cobb and not have a disproportionate amount of the cap spent on WRs.

Willard
07-26-2014, 04:29 PM
Agree that getting Nelson re-upped was critical.
I don't think signing Nelson was critical. I am happy this happened (especially at $42.5M over 5 yrs), but I think many GMs would have save money for something else. Considering the Pack has the best QB in the game, an emerging 23-yr old WR playmaker, a decent #3 in Boykinhecatch, 3 new draft picks including a 2nd rounder, and a couple other holdover potentials--the Pack could have survived Jordy's departure following our upcoming Super Bowl victory. Rodgers is the main reason the Pack could have thrived even without Jordy. He makes these receivers better. Still, I am delighted Jordy got his kwan. Clearly TT does not want to feel the same regret Wolf felt by not surrounding his MVP QB with more talent at WR. In the last couple of years TT has offered $11M/yr (?) to Jennings, drafted a lot of WR talent, and now locked up Jordy. Rodgers must be ecstatic! It is a great move, but was not critical on my opinion.

texaspackerbacker
07-26-2014, 05:05 PM
I'm reasonably happy about this. The only $14.2 million guaranteed is a good thing just in case he gets injured or fades in performance, and if he stays good, we have him for the rest of his effective career. I agree, signing him wasn't super critical, but it is a positive thing. As for Cobb, ditto on the not super critical. I see Cobb as less sturdy and more likely to fade in performance - as young as he is, I already see some slippage. Sign him if the price is right, but don't go overboard.

pbmax
07-26-2014, 06:10 PM
WR meeting room chatter slightly less murky now.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 5h
RT @SageRosenfels18: Nelson gets $10M a year. Rodgers told me 5 years ago, even with Driver, Jennings etc, that he was his favorite WR.

smh!

pbmax
07-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 7h
McCarthy informed by Thompson during middle of practice about Nelson extension.

Fritz
07-27-2014, 07:53 AM
Well, that's good news for McC in the middle of the practice.

I wonder if Greg Jennings has any feelings about all this, or if he's happy to be trying to catch a few passes from CassWater this year?

I think the signing is good, in part because it also reinforces the idea that the team is fair with its own. There is a very slight psychological benefit for guys like Cobb and others coming up on second contracts. Very slight, but still it's good for morale.

Bretsky
07-27-2014, 07:54 AM
good solid signing.

Cheesehead Craig
07-27-2014, 09:39 AM
You just don't mess with one of the most prolific QB/WR combos in the league when they are in their prime. Good to see the Pack saw that.

pbmax
07-27-2014, 11:09 AM
Nice story about how word filtered out to the team during practice.

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=14681&is_corp=1

gbgary
07-27-2014, 08:23 PM
great move for probably the most underrated wr in the league (by media types).

Guiness
07-29-2014, 10:45 AM
Well, just like Nelson, this topic didn't garner a lot of attention, and was slipping down the front page in short order.

I think the Packers dealing with Nelson first was a tip of the cap to the veteran, and now it's time to move on to Cobb. Interesting article at nfl.com, pretty hard to take at face value
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000370205/article/randall-cobb-i-havent-done-enough-for-new-deal

pbmax
07-29-2014, 05:11 PM
I think I nailed this one earlier this month.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 1h
New from JS: Nelson climbs to 9th on WR pay scale http://bit.ly/1tXomIj #packers

Striker
07-30-2014, 08:00 AM
In exchange for a large first-year payout of $14.25 million, the Green Bay Packers will get Jordy Nelson for a palatable $7.68 million over the next three years as part of the contract extension the receiver signed over the weekend.

There's no best way to determine the value of an NFL player's contract, but among the most valuable are the amount of money totally guaranteed, as well as the amount the deal pays in the first two and three years. The later-year salaries are less important because players often don't get to them -- teams either cut them or ask them to take a pay reduction because the player has aged and isn't performing at the level he did when he signed the deal.

By those measures, Nelson will be well paid as far as money that's guaranteed explicitly or de facto, and for the first three years he'll make good but not top-end money. Nelson agreed to the deal presumably as a hedge against the risk of getting injured or seeing his performance diminish, and at age 29 he was willing to sacrifice some money over three years to get as much as he could this year.

According to a source with access to NFL salary information, Nelson's official guaranteed pay is his $11.5 million signing bonus. But he'd already made a $250,000 workout bonus and essentially is guaranteed his $2 million base salary because the Packers aren't going to cut him this year. So his real guarantee is $13.75 million. He can make another $500,000 this season in roster bonuses -- $31,250 for each game he's on the 46-man game-day roster.

So this year Nelson will make anywhere from $13.75 million to $14.25 million, which is the third-highest total of any receiver this season, behind only Miami's Mike Wallace ($15.05 million) and Chicago's Brandon Marshall ($15 million).

However, Nelson's base salary next season is only $1.3 million with the same weekly roster bonuses that will pay up to $500,000 plus a $500,000 workout bonus. So in the first two years Nelson will make $16.55 million. And in '16, his base salary is $5.5 million with the $500,000 workout bonus and up to $500,000 in weekly roster bonuses.

So he'll make $23.05 million in the first three years, or an average of $7.68 million.

By comparison, Marshall like Nelson had one year left on his contract when he signed an extension earlier this offseason. Marshall, who is 30, received a $7.5 million bonus and will make $15 million this year in salary and bonuses, or only slightly more than Nelson.

However, Marshall will make $7.7 million in salary and bonuses in '15, so in his first two years he'll make $22.7 million to Nelson's $16.55 million. And Marshall is scheduled to make $8.1 million in '16, so in his first three years, if he's still playing well enough at age 32 that the Bears don't cut him, he'll average $10.27 million.

Nelson's former teammate Greg Jennings last year had the leverage of free agency when he signed with Minnesota. Jennings received a $10 million bonus, $13 million in the first year and will make $18 million in the first two seasons. He's scheduled to make $9 million in '15, which makes for $27 million over the first three years, though by the start of the '16 season he'll be 33 and in danger of being released because of age and cost.

Nelson's contract in total is worth $42.55 million for five years, or an average of $8.51 million a year. The NFL Players Association only considers new money when calculating the worth of contract extensions, so it counts Nelson's deal as worth about $39 million in new money for four new years, or an average of $9.7 million a year. But Nelson received the bonus now, so his new contract in reality starts this year.

Nelson will be 32 in 2017, when his pay takes a major leap for the final two years of his deal. He's due to make $9.25 million ($8.25 million base salary, $500,000 workout bonus and up to $500,000 in per game roster bonuses). In 2018 he's due to make $10.25 million ($9.25 million base, $500,000 workout and up to $500,000 in per game roster bonuses).

Nelson will count $5.925 million on the Packers salary cap this season. His cap numbers the final four years are $4.6million in '15; $8.8 million in '16; $11.55 million in '17 and $12.55 million in '18.

Numbers look good.

Guiness
07-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Numbers look good.

I'm a little surprised by the structure of the contract, it's not blatant, but there is some 'funny money' in the last 2 years. He might get them, but they are by no means guaranteed and it's entirely possible he does not. His '16 base is quite low, which I also find odd because it's a 'new' year. The line So he'll make $23.05 million in the first three years, or an average of $7.68 million. tells you he gave the Packers a heck of a discount.

MadtownPacker
07-30-2014, 11:13 AM
Very happy to hear the White man finally got the respect he deserved!!