PDA

View Full Version : Richard Rodgers: You Make The Call!

pbmax
07-26-2014, 05:12 PM
Everyone had an opinion. Last of the big, athletic TEs to come off the board in 2014. Either it was genius or a colossal reach.

Time to put your reputation on the line.

Feast or Famine with Richard Rodgers?

http://nflcompackers.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/140223-rrodgers-300.jpg

pbmax
07-26-2014, 05:16 PM
Inspired. I say this based on an extensive review of one day of camp, the fact that he got #1 team snaps and hasn't been hurt yet. What more could you ask?

red
07-26-2014, 05:22 PM
Well, no one at the time or before the draft was calling him "one of the physical specimens" at the time. It was only after the gloom and panic kicked in that we just drafted a guy who did nothing in college that people started saying "all is not lost, although he never showed it in college, he might have some talent"

I tink it was a bit of a panic pick that might pay off. The real target was the giant TE from iowa

If TT knew this kid had tons of talent, and there was no panic involved, then TT shower he isa talent guru, because no one else in the world saw it

steve823
07-26-2014, 05:30 PM
I would say Rodgers has a good chance to beat out Quarless, who has been nothing special the last few years. I have a feeling McCarthy is going to rotate all these tight ends and we aren't going to have a true number one this year. Lyerla can be a game changer if he can stick around and show he is committed.

Rodgers has exceeded my expectations so far, but it's still early. Ideally, I want to see Quarless phased out slowly if these young TEs can show their worth. Anyone know how Rodgers blocking has been?

texaspackerbacker
07-26-2014, 05:31 PM
If his performance up to now isn't a fluke, it was either inspired or dumb luck. I didn't think we really needed a TE, at least not that early. I would have been comfortable with Quarless, Taylor, Bostick, and Stoneburner, but getting Rodgers and Lyerla can't hurt.

pbmax
07-26-2014, 06:03 PM
Well, no one at the time or before the draft was calling him "one of the physical specimens" at the time. It was only after the gloom and panic kicked in that we just drafted a guy who did nothing in college that people started saying "all is not lost, although he never showed it in college, he might have some talent"

I tink it was a bit of a panic pick that might pay off. The real target was the giant TE from iowa

If TT knew this kid had tons of talent, and there was no panic involved, then TT shower he isa talent guru, because no one else in the world saw it

You could be right but didn't one of his defenders say he was essentially the last TE on the board with major college exp. and the measurables?

I thought everyone after him were much bigger question marks, including Lyerla.

Brandon494
07-26-2014, 06:03 PM
No one really knew about him before the draft but the more you researched him the more you liked. I think TT found a steal with this guy and I believe that his team only winning a single game, changing positions to WR, having to drop weight, and having a true freshman QB as a starter all hurt his draft stock but he'll be a better pro then college player.

Bossman641
07-26-2014, 09:39 PM
You could be right but didn't one of his defenders say he was essentially the last TE on the board with major college exp. and the measurables?

I thought everyone after him were much bigger question marks, including Lyerla.

Correct, and I believe the next tight end selected after him was a full 2 rounds later or something like that

bobblehead
07-26-2014, 10:31 PM

I am comparing this pick to Collins and Finley. Once the fan panic wears off, TT looks like a genius (again).

Brandon494
07-26-2014, 10:31 PM
Correct, and I believe the next tight end selected after him was a full 2 rounds later or something like that

Ravens picked a TE right after us but after their pick there was a huge gap between the next TE selected.

ThunderDan
07-27-2014, 07:15 AM
I think this is going to turn out to be a fantastic pick.

Pugger
07-27-2014, 09:06 AM

Yes, I don't recall a lot of folks exactly thrilled with this choice in the 3rd by TT.

Bretsky
07-27-2014, 09:27 AM
The Power of KoolAide

pbmax
07-27-2014, 09:38 AM
I am pretty sure we had some more posters calling it a reach than the 2 who have weighed in so far.

Cheesehead Craig
07-27-2014, 09:47 AM
I really didn't know about the guy. As far as when he was taken, no biggie to me. If he turns out to be a good player then I'm happy.

Bretsky
07-27-2014, 10:58 AM
I am pretty sure we had some more posters calling it a reach than the 2 who have weighed in so far.

Many called it a reach; at least I'm sticking to my guns on my vote :))))

Pugger
07-31-2014, 01:05 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/index.ssf/2014/07/colt_lyerla_contending_for_gre.html

Zool
07-31-2014, 01:10 PM
I'll answer this poll in 3 years.

gbgary
07-31-2014, 11:21 PM
i don't read everything but what i have read is all positive. think he's a keeper.

pbmax
08-01-2014, 06:58 AM
I'll answer this poll in 3 years.

Sometimes I think the internet isn't for you Zool. :)

Guiness
08-01-2014, 10:36 AM
The TE grouping is shaping up to be a pretty interesting bunch, a lot of players there that could all make the team. I really have no idea who it's going to be.

Quarless and Taylor are the vets and should be safe.
Bostick is going into his second season, and played well enough last year. Stoneburner was on the PS, got called up late in the year.

Add Rodgers, Lyerla and Perillo to that mix - can't see Rodgers, who was a draft pick, getting cut, and he seems to be playing well. Lyerla is supposed to be a 1st round talent if he can keep his nose clean (he has, biggest thing we've heard is a burger joint sighting!) and there's been a lot of good press about Perillo!

Really don't know what's going to happen here when the cuts start.

texaspackerbacker
08-01-2014, 11:54 AM
And on top of that, most of what we've heard about in camp is the wideouts and now increased passing to the backs.

I wonder where there could be roster trimming to allow keeping more TEs - 5 or even 6. Getting by with two QBs? a risk. Using Linsley as a long snapper to save a spot? hardly even talked about. It seems like we are talent-heavy at least in terms of quantity across the board on defense. Maybe only 8 O Linemen instead of 9, but that's barely a start.

hoosier
08-01-2014, 12:00 PM
The TE grouping is shaping up to be a pretty interesting bunch, a lot of players there that could all make the team. I really have no idea who it's going to be.

Quarless and Taylor are the vets and should be safe.
Bostick is going into his second season, and played well enough last year. Stoneburner was on the PS, got called up late in the year.

Add Rodgers, Lyerla and Perillo to that mix - can't see Rodgers, who was a draft pick, getting cut, and he seems to be playing well. Lyerla is supposed to be a 1st round talent if he can keep his nose clean (he has, biggest thing we've heard is a burger joint sighting!) and there's been a lot of good press about Perillo!

Really don't know what's going to happen here when the cuts start.

It is sounding more and more like they will keep 7 TEs this year.

If that doesn't pan out, my prediction is that the other Rodgers will win the starting position outright in TC. They will keep Bostick, Quarless and Taylor. Lyerla and/or Perillo to the PC. While I haven't seen him play, I have this intuition that there is something off in Lyerla's game. Maybe it is just that he hasn't played in forever and is rusty, but the initial reports of Perillo outshining him by a mile were not encouraging. And in a Ron Wolf special, Stoneburner gets traded to Oakland for past considerations.

texaspackerbacker
08-01-2014, 05:06 PM

If that doesn't pan out, my prediction is that the other Rodgers will win the starting position outright in TC. They will keep Bostick, Quarless and Taylor. Lyerla and/or Perillo to the PC. While I haven't seen him play, I have this intuition that there is something off in Lyerla's game. Maybe it is just that he hasn't played in forever and is rusty, but the initial reports of Perillo outshining him by a mile were not encouraging. And in a Ron Wolf special, Stoneburner gets traded to Oakland for past considerations.

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not. As I often ask my wife when she comes up with a crazy idea, what is the rest of your plan to make that happen?

smuggler
08-02-2014, 04:39 AM
You can safely assume it's sarcasm based on the fact he suggested we may keep seven TE this year, three more than we typically do.

Fritz
08-02-2014, 07:48 AM

I think Bostick and Stoneburner are more vulnerable to being cut than most people think. Bostick is going into year three - now's the time, if he's ever going to show that he can stay healthy, block, and know the offense inside and out. Sinc Stoneburner is Bostick Part II, I think one of them will be cut. I also think Lyerla is not going to show enough.

Guiness
08-02-2014, 11:19 AM
I think Bostick and Stoneburner are more vulnerable to being cut than most people think. Bostick is going into year three - now's the time, if he's ever going to show that he can stay healthy, block, and know the offense inside and out. Sinc Stoneburner is Bostick Part II, I think one of them will be cut. I also think Lyerla is not going to show enough.

If you assume Quarless and Taylor stay, and Rodgers gets a pass because of his draft status (reports are he's been playing well enough to not need a pass) that leaves one spot between Stoneburner, Bostick, Lyerla and Perillo. I don't think Lyerla would make it to the PS if he continues to behave himself - someone else will want to have a look at him.

So I go back to Quarless and Taylor. I don't thing either have done enough to assure themselves of a spot on the team and I see them both as being vulnerable. Quarless had an ok season last year, but his blocking is still not great. Taylor's contribution is almost entirely on STs, going into his 4th season, they might want more than that.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Quarless came back from injury, improved through last season. You can pencil him into a roster spot.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2014, 11:35 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-comfortable-with-solid-crop-of-tight-ends-b99322497z1-269633481.html

Reading the Bob McGinn article about the TEs left me unthrilled.

"You can't replace Jermichael because of his talent, his size, his stature," Stoneburner said. "That was a lot of experience we don't have. As a whole, maybe we can duplicate it."

Fuck that platoon talk. If you have three guys good enough to be the starter, you probably got none. Finley was a good, not great, TE. We need somebody to be as good as Finley. Rodgers or Bostick.

Joemailman
08-02-2014, 12:17 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-comfortable-with-solid-crop-of-tight-ends-b99322497z1-269633481.html

Reading the Bob McGinn article about the TEs left me unthrilled.

"You can't replace Jermichael because of his talent, his size, his stature," Stoneburner said. "That was a lot of experience we don't have. As a whole, maybe we can duplicate it."

Fuck that platoon talk. If you have three guys good enough to be the starter, you probably got none. Finley was a good, not great, TE. We need somebody to be as good as Finley. Rodgers or Bostick.

Pretty rare for rookie TE's to make a big impact. I think Bostick is the best bet. He should know the offense by now, and probably is the TE most similar to Finley physically. Quarless may start out as the starter because of inexperience, but may not be able to hold it.

Patler
08-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Bostic has had a couple mental gaffes already in camp. I'm not sure he will stick around if there are anymore.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Bostic has had a couple mental gaffes already in camp. I'm not sure he will stick around if there are anymore.

Actually this sounds like perfect replacement for Finley.

hoosier
08-02-2014, 09:22 PM
You can safely assume it's sarcasm based on the fact he suggested we may keep seven TE this year, three more than we typically do.

The seven TEs was sarcasm, but my keepers wasn't. I expect Rodgers to emerge as the best of the bunch. They keep Quarless because he can do everything serviceably well, but unfortunately that is all he will ever do--I suspect he has reached his ceiling. Taylor is ok as a third TE/ST player. Bostick looks to me like the second coming of Tyrone Davis, a guy you think might have it in him to become Keith Jackson II but it never quite materializes. Stoneburner and Lyerla are undistinguished.

texaspackerbacker
08-02-2014, 11:35 PM
I figured 7 was sarcasm, but I wouldn't rule out finding a way to keep 6 - and 5 is a strong possibility.

I think they are giving all or most of them a chance to make Taylor unnecessary to keep. That doesn't mean it's gonna happen, though. Time will tell whether we have a lot of quality depth or just a bunch of fairly equal mediocrity. I'm an optimist; I lean toward thinking they are decent, and that Quarless and Rodgers are gonna step up and do better than Finley at his best.

hoosier
08-03-2014, 09:09 AM
I figured 7 was sarcasm, but I wouldn't rule out finding a way to keep 6 - and 5 is a strong possibility.

I think they are giving all or most of them a chance to make Taylor unnecessary to keep. That doesn't mean it's gonna happen, though. Time will tell whether we have a lot of quality depth or just a bunch of fairly equal mediocrity. I'm an optimist; I lean toward thinking they are decent, and that Quarless and Rodgers are gonna step up and do better than Finley at his best.

The two things Taylor is good at--blocking and special teams--don't really show up at all in the other guys's repertoires, so I think Taylor sticks unless they decide they don't need a blocking TE this year (very unlikely). Keeping a lot of TEs will mean cutting someone who has decent upside at another position such as WR. I would bet on TT keeping more players at a position of strength instead of stockpiling mediocrity at TE.

Bretsky
08-03-2014, 09:29 AM
With Jermicahael Finley, lets call a spade a spade.

We will miss his elite talent. No TE on this roster has the combo of skills he brings. DC's game planned for Finley; they won't with our current TE's.

What we don't miss is his perceieved occasional arrogance and the mentality he sometimes gives off.

But talent wise he is elite.

I think the combo of TE's we have can do a fine job though.

Pugger
08-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Actually this sounds like perfect replacement for Finley.

:lol:

pbmax
08-03-2014, 10:07 AM
DC's game planned for Finley; they won't with our current TE's.

I actually don't believe this has been the case since 2010. But I am interested in why you think this was still happening.

mission
08-03-2014, 10:10 AM
I think Rodgers will be pretty good. Looks huge next to the other TEs except Bostick.

And not sure what you guys are reading about BB, but he's been flashing all camp... no way he gets cut. I'll take any bet on that. PM me. ;)

Joemailman
08-03-2014, 10:44 AM
According to JSO, Rodgers' weight is up in the 270-275 range. He'd be an imposing guy if he can run well at that weight.

Bretsky
08-03-2014, 11:42 AM
I actually don't believe this has been the case since 2010. But I am interested in why you think this was still happening.

Because I listed to NFL Network....Pat O'Brien and Jim Miller....who get DC's and head coaches in and interview them all the time.

pbmax
08-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Because I listed to NFL Network....Pat O'Brien and Jim Miller....who get DC's and head coaches in and interview them all the time.

Coordinators get interviewed all the time. They tend not to say too much and when they do, its news. Like when Capers explained, after everyone started to complain about Kaepernick not being spied, that they DID try to spy.

So other than saying something boring and generic like "you have to be sure not to let Finley beat you", did they really reveal any details of their intention to focus on Finley?

Harlan Huckleby
08-03-2014, 01:14 PM
With Jermicahael Finley, lets call a spade a spade.

We will miss his elite talent. No TE on this roster has the combo of skills he brings. DC's game planned for Finley; they won't with our current TE's.

What we don't miss is his perceieved occasional arrogance and the mentality he sometimes gives off.

But talent wise he is elite.

I think the combo of TE's we have can do a fine job though.

Finley only had elite production in about 1 1/2 seasons that he was in Green Bay. I'm not just talking about injuries, he had a lot of drops. It was not like having a Tony Gonzalez or Jason Witten on the field, except maybe in his second year.

"Talent" is only part of story. Jeff George had talent.

I am not down with a combo of TEs. Every team has a combo of TEs. The teams where that position is an asset have a threat.

One of those guys needs to be a good player - like Finley.

Joemailman
08-03-2014, 02:59 PM
I doubt teams were as worried about Finley in 2013 as they were in 2009-10. That said, I'll bet they worried more about Finley than they did Quarless. They need someone to eventually emerge who is better than Quarless. Bostick and Rodgers are the best bets to do that. I think Rodgers has a chance to their best overall TE in a long time.

Bretsky
08-04-2014, 07:53 PM
I doubt teams were as worried about Finley in 2013 as they were in 2009-10. That said, I'll bet they worried more about Finley than they did Quarless. They need someone to eventually emerge who is better than Quarless. Bostick and Rodgers are the best bets to do that. I think Rodgers has a chance to their best overall TE in a long time.

This is the case. What we have left, unless a rookie emerges....are a bunch of JAG's who DC's don't really have to mention or pay attention to at all. They can let their Brad Just a guy Jones cover them man to man.

I'm not sure we need a weapon at TE but it was nice to have.

bobblehead
08-05-2014, 06:25 AM
This is the case. What we have left, unless a rookie emerges....are a bunch of JAG's who DC's don't really have to mention or pay attention to at all. They can let their Brad Just a guy Jones cover them man to man.

I'm not sure we need a weapon at TE but it was nice to have.

I know everyone here hates McGinn, but he seems to think RR is the real deal.

RashanGary
08-05-2014, 06:32 AM
"Talent" is only part of story. Jeff George had talent.

Unfortunately, this sums it up well. I'm sure dcs said George could throw it anywhere on the field and DBS had to stay with their guy down the field. George was still inconsistent. Finley too.

denverYooper
08-05-2014, 08:23 AM

If he can consistently block, catch TDs in the red zone, and move the chains, he'll set up the rest of the offense to do whatever the hell it wants.

Harlan Huckleby
08-05-2014, 11:23 AM
I know everyone here hates McGinn, but he seems to think RR is the real deal.

Everbody hates McGinn!? Only losers who have converted their basement into being a "packer room" and who wear football jerseys to church hate Bob McGinn. Now that you mention it, I guess that is most of the people in this forum. But I like McGinn a lot, he is interesting. The only reason he is wrong a lot is that he offers a lot of opinions. I think he is insightful most of the time.

I wonder if anybody painted their face for "Family night" last Saturday.

Brandon494
08-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Everbody hates McGinn!? Only losers who have converted their basement into being a "packer room" and who wear football jerseys to church hate Bob McGinn. Now that you mention it, I guess that is most of the people in this forum. But I like McGinn a lot, he is interesting. The only reason he is wrong a lot is that he offers a lot of opinions. I think he is insightful most of the time.

I wonder if anybody painted their face for "Family night" last Saturday.

You liking him proves I'm right on my assumption of him being a boob.