PDA

View Full Version : Legendary sports reporter retires, nobody notices

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2014, 07:02 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/columns/mike-vandermause/

Mike Vandermause retired as a Packer columnist after about three decades. Can you remember anything he ever wrote?

When Cliff Christl left it was like the Favre retirement. I expect when Bob McGinn leaves there will be some moans at least.

I think the job of a good sports writer is to be a bit controversial, otherwise nobody comes to their funeral.

Freak Out
07-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Hey Blue Dog. How's it hanging?

Joemailman
07-28-2014, 07:51 PM
Maybe he can replace Cleft Crusty here since Cleft apparently finally had that heart attack he was destined for.

MadtownPacker
07-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Kinda like when Harlan quits here. Nobody gives a shit.

pbmax
07-28-2014, 09:03 PM
He has had some good writers in his Packers section. As a columnist, he makes a great editor and recruiter.

He went the way of Chris Jenkins the former AP reporter, who now works for Marquette. Applesauce is headed to the PR game in the private sector I believe.

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2014, 11:27 PM
Kinda like when Harlan quits here. Nobody gives a shit.

See, now that's unnecessary, it hurts my feelings.

"You always hurt the one you love." So true.

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2014, 11:27 PM
Hey Blue Dog. How's it hanging?

They aren't scraping on the shower floor yet, but close.

Striker
07-29-2014, 12:11 AM
Could be all about circulation too. Yeah, the Press Gazette is the "hometown" paper, but the JS really is the "big" newspaper in this state.

Pugger
07-29-2014, 01:28 AM
The P-G is morphing into a lousy paper.

Patler
07-29-2014, 06:40 AM
"Legendary sports reporter...."???????

Zool
07-29-2014, 08:07 AM
Vanderwhatnow?

RashanGary
07-29-2014, 09:18 AM
He's the editor and I find it admirable that he reported rather than caused waves or sought attention.

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2014, 06:10 PM
He's the editor and I find it admirable that he reported rather than caused waves or sought attention.

Well, he also was a packer columnist for many years. I think sports writers should find interesting angles that generate controversy. Waves and attention are a good sign. Now if they're trying too hard to be controversial, making ridiculous speculations, well that's a job badly done. But I think writers like McGinn and Wilde support their arguments well, and they are right often enough to maintain their press cards.

Vandermause is moving-on to become a communications director at a church. Who knew that churches needed communications directors!? I thought Jesus pretty much sold Himself. I always liked Vandermause's columns actually, they were smart enough, just rather safe. Maybe he'll use his sports background and discover his creative side at that church: bobble-head Sundays, new uniforms for the clergy, "the wave" after good sermons.

ps. In sports, I don't differentiate much between columns and feature stories.

pbmax
07-29-2014, 08:42 PM
Well, he also was a packer columnist for many years. I think sports writers should find interesting angles that generate controversy. Waves and attention are a good sign. Now if they're trying too hard to be controversial, making ridiculous speculations, well that's a job badly done. But I think writers like McGinn and Wilde support their arguments well, and they are right often enough to maintain their press cards.

Vandermause is moving-on to become a communications director at a church. Who knew that churches needed communications directors!? I thought Jesus pretty much sold Himself. I always liked Vandermause's columns actually, they were smart enough, just rather safe. Maybe he'll use his sports background and discover his creative side at that church: bobble-head Sundays, new uniforms for the clergy, "the wave" after good sermons.

ps. In sports, I don't differentiate much between columns and feature stories.

Well, I should have should PR for a non-profit.

Isn't a Minister the Director of Communications for a Church?

wist43
07-29-2014, 09:03 PM
You guys must have been lulled to sleep by his subdued delivery - b/c the guy said a lot of things that I agreed with, and to you homers, I am the devil.

In all honesty, the guy was kind of slippery in how he delivered the shiv... wouldn't scream and shout, he'd leave that for Tom Pippines, but he'd throw out some pretty tough criticism at the coaching staff - he was very critical of Capers.

Since my POV is swept under the rug most of the time, it is always nice to hear commentators that won't hit the prerecorded positivity button when we all know what we saw was a mess. If I found myself agreeing with Vandermause most of the time - then you guys must not have been listening to what he was saying. Sure, he did his share of positivity pieces, but in his post-game comments on Packer Blitz, he usually called a spade a spade.

sharpe1027
07-29-2014, 11:53 PM
You guys must have been lulled to sleep by his subdued delivery - b/c the guy said a lot of things that I agreed with, and to you homers, I am the devil.

In all honesty, the guy was kind of slippery in how he delivered the shiv... wouldn't scream and shout, he'd leave that for Tom Pippines, but he'd throw out some pretty tough criticism at the coaching staff - he was very critical of Capers.

Since my POV is swept under the rug most of the time, it is always nice to hear commentators that won't hit the prerecorded positivity button when we all know what we saw was a mess. If I found myself agreeing with Vandermause most of the time - then you guys must not have been listening to what he was saying. Sure, he did his share of positivity pieces, but in his post-game comments on Packer Blitz, he usually called a spade a spade.

The last article of his I read he was touting how good Capers did and even said he deserved a raise.

Zool
07-30-2014, 08:19 AM

Since my POV is swept under the rug most of the time,

JFC guy, the sky isn't falling and you're not a misunderstood genius screaming at the wind.

KYPack
07-30-2014, 09:04 AM
In an old Packer tradition, Vandermause has decided NOT to retire and will be soldiering on this season.