PDA

View Full Version : Whither Julius Peppers?

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2014, 09:55 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/hopes-high-for-combo-of-julius-peppers-clay-matthews-b99317844z1-269139391.html

I think the chances of a giant, 34-year-old defensive end making transition to stand-up linebacker are less than 50-50. Ya, he's athletic, but raw power was big part of his defensive line play.

Peppers is the big mystery heading into 2014.

Joemailman
07-30-2014, 05:51 AM
I think he has the athleticism to cover. The question is whether he can explode out of a 2 point stance on the pass rush,. Even if he struggles at OLB, he can still contribute as a pass rusher on the line.

Pugger
07-30-2014, 07:59 AM
I think he'll be just fine but maybe not the cornerstone of the defense. Julius will open up plays for others (especially for Clay).

oldbutnotdeadyet
07-30-2014, 08:27 AM
I think he surprises many people, including himself.

BZnDallas
07-30-2014, 08:30 AM
A 34 year old freak is still a freak

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2014, 09:40 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/age-injuries-may-add-up-b99316575z1-268750761.html

This article was mostly favorable towards Peppers, but the one negative note caught my eye:

Still, three scouts within the NFC North unanimously voted Peppers the worst right end in the division last year.
He must have slipped significantly.
Then I'm thinking, "If 6'7" was an asset for playing linebacker, you'd see 6'7" linebackers. Probably he is more of a lineman."

I'm glad they picked-up Peppers, somehow it's likely to make the team a little better. I do think he could end up being more of a situational player - and we'll have to see exactly what he's got. On other hand, there's some chance he was born to play this position all along.

Fritz
07-30-2014, 09:42 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/age-injuries-may-add-up-b99316575z1-268750761.html

This article was mostly favorable towards Peppers, but the one negative note caught my eye:

Then I'm thinking, "If 6'7" was an asset for playing linebacker, you'd see 6'7" linebackers. Probably he is more of a lineman."

I'm glad they picked-up Peppers, somehow it's likely to make the team a little better. I do think he could end up being more of a situational player - and we'll have to see exactly what he's got. On other hand, there's some chance he was born to play this position all along.

Ted Hendricks.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2014, 09:51 AM
Ya, Ted Hendricks was the man. Was he exception that proves the rule?

Different era, different defense, but Hendricks played at around 220, Peppers is 285.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2014, 09:56 AM
Tim Harris - 6'6" 260

I think San Fran moved him to defensive end, probably he was lighter at linebacker

MadtownPacker
07-30-2014, 11:16 AM
Peppers is gonna be fine, he has that Latina honey to keep him motivated. I know that won't make sense to a polesmoker like HH but the rest of you know what I'm talking about.

Freak Out
07-30-2014, 11:20 AM
I think JP is motivated...by the sweet Latina babe, and the fact he wants a SB pretty bad.

Rutnstrut
07-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Peppers is gonna be fine, he has that Latina honey to keep him motivated. I know that won't make sense to a polesmoker like HH but the rest of you know what I'm talking about.

He'll have her whether he plays well or not, she will be around as long as the money is. I am not as optimistic about him doing well as others. But it has nothing to do with his ability, I have no faith in Capers to use peppers properly.

MadtownPacker
07-30-2014, 01:05 PM
If dude stinks it up he might get cut and not be as well paid so I think he has motivation. Fresh, ok maybe just new, tang makes all of us feel brand new right? Isn't that why you old crackas hookup with young seƱoritas (preferably with small hands according to Tex and Wist:lol:) from other countries? To feel like a stud again?

denverYooper
07-30-2014, 01:15 PM
I think JP is motivated...by the sweet Latina babe, and the fact he wants a SB pretty bad.

He made the right choice going to Green Bay, then.

RashanGary
07-30-2014, 01:45 PM
ill go,with the second option. Hes getting paid less than Jordy Nelson. I trust Thompsons views on what players are worth, i have a good idea what jordy does. I think he'll be a really good player, not quite as good as jordy. So we have another good defender who will make big plays. We needed it.

Striker
07-30-2014, 01:55 PM
if he stays healthy, I think he'll be more impactful than Neal/Perry. While there were some legitimate complaints about him in "meaningless" regular season games, he did always find a way to make at least one impactful play come crunch time.

Bossman641
07-30-2014, 02:22 PM
In a down year he racked up 7 sacks. If we can get 7-8 from him, 6-7 from Neal, and 5-6 from Perry I'll be happy. He won't be an every down player, but I think he can be effective picking his spots.

MadScientist
07-30-2014, 02:52 PM
Despite the upfront $$, he'll wind up being a situational player. Not what he used to be by any stretch, but still useful if put in the right situations and packages.

ThunderDan
07-30-2014, 03:02 PM
if he stays healthy, I think he'll be more impactful than Neal/Perry. While there were some legitimate complaints about him in "meaningless" regular season games, he did always find a way to make at least one impactful play come crunch time.

He had a very impactful play against the Packers in 2013 that gave us a TD. The strip sack of ARod that no one picked up until Boykin did and ran it into the end zone.

Zool
07-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Junius Coston was resigned?

Pugger
07-30-2014, 04:29 PM

Of course Peppers isn't an DE for us this year. ;)

Joemailman
07-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Peppers' numbers slipped last year, but he still led them in sacks, and led their D-Linemen in tackles. The Bears defense was atrocious last year. It can be tough when you're the only guy on a defense capable of making impact plays. You draw a lot of attention.

run pMc
07-31-2014, 04:57 PM
I don't think he'll be All-Pro, but I think he will garner enough respect from some teams to draw attention away from Matthews. Peppers made two almost-big plays in Week 17, and his snap count for a 33yo DE was probably on the high side last year.

I don't think there are a lot of 6'7" defensive players, so I don't know if there's enough of a sample size to say he can or can't play a LB/DE hybrid role. If they don't ask him to do anything too wacky with pass coverage he's I think he's athletic enough. Whether he can rush as well standing up or not is a good question.

I think he'll be ok-to-good for GB. If he can stay healthy and platoon with Perry/Neal at elephant so he doesn't wear down, he'll be fine. He can still play.

gbgary
07-31-2014, 11:19 PM
i have no idea at all what his contribution is going to be like. it's a total mystery. will have to see it. hoping for the best.

Brandon494
08-01-2014, 06:35 AM
Peppers will have a pro bowl caliber season...book it!

wist43
08-01-2014, 09:37 AM
If dude stinks it up he might get cut and not be as well paid so I think he has motivation. Fresh, ok maybe just new, tang makes all of us feel brand new right? Isn't that why you old crackas hookup with young seƱoritas (preferably with small hands according to Tex and Wist:lol:) from other countries? To feel like a stud again?

Da man hands?? Major turn off :bs2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSL4cmFW_GU

wist43
08-01-2014, 10:03 AM
I'm higher on Peppers now than when we signed him... mainly b/c Pickett and Jolly aren't going to be back.

Pickett and Jolly not being back means that Capers can't play the "jumbo 2-4"... that should mean more base and 3-3 looks - Peppers himself makes the 2-4 look more like a 3-3. I still prefer to have 3 guys with their hand on the ground, but Peppers is a rare talent, so he should make us better up front regardless of how Capers manages to screw it up.

Just Jeff
08-01-2014, 10:13 AM
I just hope he has two great games against the shithole team he came from. That alone will make the acquisition worth the money.

Pugger
08-01-2014, 11:13 AM
I just hope he has two great games against the shithole team he came from. That alone will make the acquisition worth the money.

And it will be fun to watch Bahk stone Allen in two games again this year. :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2014, 08:34 PM
I'm changing my vote

Bretsky
08-23-2014, 08:14 AM
you should u negative nanny :)))

Joemailman
11-17-2014, 06:22 PM
So is he a cornerstone, or a decent player? I'd say pretty close to cornerstone because his stellar play has made it possible to move Matthews inside without sacrificing an outside pass rush.

Freak Out
11-17-2014, 06:39 PM
All I know is we need more pictures of his girlfriend. :)

Harlan Huckleby
11-17-2014, 06:55 PM
So is he a cornerstone, or a decent player? I'd say pretty close to cornerstone because his stellar play has made it possible to move Matthews inside without sacrificing an outside pass rush.

no shit, Sherlock

Joemailman
11-17-2014, 06:57 PM
All I know is we need more pictures of his girlfriend. :)

http://www.oddman.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/29220513Claudia-Sampedro.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
11-17-2014, 06:58 PM
nipple slip!

pbmax
11-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Finally got one right.

Freak Out
11-17-2014, 07:40 PM
http://www.oddman.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/29220513Claudia-Sampedro.jpg

Yum!

Maxie the Taxi
11-17-2014, 07:42 PM
I was thrilled when TT signed Peppers. He's all I thought he would be and more. In fact, signing Peppers reminds me of the Packers signing Reggie White. White was 32 when he was signed and 34 or so when the Packers won the Superbowl in 96. White was the heart and soul of the Packers then and I really believe Peppers has the chance to be the same on this Packers team. Besides his excellent play on the field, he's become a team leader. You can tell from his comments that Tramon Williams admires and respects him. All the veteran players do. He's a great influence on the younger guys as well and is responsible -- along with Rodgers -- for the Packers' surging confidence of late.

Reggie White was my favorite Packer of his era. He had the ability and the will to make the biggest plays when they were most needed. He could put the entire team on his back and carry them.

Peppers could easily become my favorite of this era, not only for his play but for his role as a respected team leader.

White's signing lead to a Super Bowl win for the Packers. I hope Peppers' signing has the same result.

BZnDallas
11-17-2014, 08:36 PM
A 34 year old freak is still a freak

NAILED IT!!!!

mission
11-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Great post Maxie... I hope he's this team's Reggie too! Think he's made a huge impact for us so far. More than I expected and if he even tastes that Super Bowl blood, I can see the thirst really getting strong.

Speaking of thirst... I'm not sure I've liked an athlete's wife more than this chick. Wow. I'd say she's my style, but obvious is obvious. What's her name again?? lol

mission
11-17-2014, 10:12 PM
Aaaand she has leaks... God bless google.

smuggler
11-18-2014, 02:52 AM
lol... mission, you creeper. (Go hog wild!)