PDA

View Full Version : This year's undrafted rookie free agent surprise???

Patler
08-05-2014, 12:57 PM
Every year there seems to be at least one undrafted rookie who comes on and plays a semi-prominent roll. Shields, Zombo, Barclay, Mulumba.
Is this the guy for 2014?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/training-camp-report-monday-at-a-glance-b99323821z1-269927571.html

The Green Bay Packers have hit with two free-agent outside linebackers from Mid-American Conference schools in the last four years: Frank Zombo (Central Michigan, 2010) and Andy Mulumba (Eastern Michigan, 2013). Now free agent Jayrone Elliott of Toledo is making a push to join them. Elliott, a physical specimen at 6 foot 3 and 255 pounds, followed an impressive pass-rushing effort Saturday night with a dominating showing in the one-on-one's Monday night. On Saturday at Lambeau Field, he beat T Derek Sherrod up the field for what would have been a sack and T Jeremy Vujnovich with a spin move for what would have been another sack. On Monday, Elliott had four turns. He blasted Sherrod back out of his set with a sledgehammer of a two-arm shiver, battled Bryan Bulaga to a draw and then decisioned Don Barclay twice with inside moves. That came in the wake of a one-on-one coverage drill Friday against TE Brandon Bostick in which he made a tremendous deflection of a deep pass off a double move. Elliott has deceptive 4.77-second speed and an 82-inch wingspan (33¾ arms), which was longer than any of the OLBs at the combine. All nine OLBs look like they can play. What a battle it will be for probably six roster berths.

MadScientist
08-05-2014, 01:40 PM
Elliot would be a surprise. I was hoping for good things from Colt (maybe next year) or the Alabama LB (who has done so little I forget his name). Still time for others, but hopefully this guy can continue to bring it.

pittstang5
08-05-2014, 02:23 PM
I read that article about Elliot and said, "Who?"

Prior to TC, I would have put my money on the Alabama OLB - Hubbard, but I haven't heard much about him. I can't wait for the first preseason game to see what these young guys can do.

denverYooper
08-05-2014, 03:00 PM
Pennel.

Guiness
08-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Perillo, the other UDFA TE

Carolina_Packer
08-05-2014, 03:11 PM
http://sportsglory.com/nfl/exclusive-interview-jayrone-elliott-linebacker-green-bay-packers/18975 Little fluff piece on Elliott.

Someone else on this board said Joe Thomas looked like a gamer. He is listed as an ILB on the depth chart. Here is his background info: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=96941&draftyear=2014&genpos=ILB

I too am waiting to see what Hubbard can do in pre-season. I would love for any of these guys to show out during pre-season and at minimum replace the back half of the roster depth.

bobblehead
08-05-2014, 03:40 PM
http://sportsglory.com/nfl/exclusive-interview-jayrone-elliott-linebacker-green-bay-packers/18975 Little fluff piece on Elliott.

Someone else on this board said Joe Thomas looked like a gamer. He is listed as an ILB on the depth chart. Here is his background info: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=96941&draftyear=2014&genpos=ILB

I too am waiting to see what Hubbard can do in pre-season. I would love for any of these guys to show out during pre-season and at minimum replace the back half of the roster depth.

That was me. I have read several of the sportswriters who have mentioned that he won't beat out Hawk or Jones, but he continues to be in the right place at the right time. I have no personal knowledge of the guy, but I am pretty good at reading between the lines. For instance when an IRS official says she "lost" her emails that are backed up externally when her hard-drive crashed I can conclude that she is full of shit and knows nothing about computers.

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2014, 04:16 PM
I've read solid things about Doughty, Neal, and Perkins also. Seems like TT brought in a solid crop this year.

Joemailman
08-05-2014, 05:17 PM
I think Pennel has a chance. With Raji in a 1 year contract, the Packers may want to hang on to Pennel if he plays well in preseason. I thought Perkins should some good moves and quickness at the practice I was at last week. Neal is a powerfully built back. I'm a little surprised that a big back like him who ran for over 1,000 yards playing for an SEC team went undrafted.

KYPack
08-05-2014, 10:09 PM
I read that article about Elliot and said, "Who?"

Prior to TC, I would have put my money on the Alabama OLB - Hubbard, but I haven't heard much about him. I can't wait for the first preseason game to see what these young guys can do.

Yer right, Hubbard is the Alabama backer they head hopes for. I thought Elliot was the bama boy. It's early, let's hope both of 'em flash and we have a good player btw the two guys.

Hubbard is #49. that's Frenchy's old number. When did GB give up on him?

Carolina_Packer
08-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Yer right, Hubbard is the Alabama backer they head hopes for. I thought Elliot was the bama boy. It's early, let's hope both of 'em flash and we have a good player btw the two guys.

Hubbard is #49. that's Frenchy's old number. When did GB give up on him?

KY, he was on a one year deal last year and tore his achilles tendon against Detroit at home. Source: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20140120/PKR0101/140120027/Free-agent-countdown-LB-Robert-Francois

Interesting point in the article...Minnesota cut Francios back in 2009 to make room for signing Brett Favre. Too bad he got hurt, although I'm not sure if Green Bay would have brought him back on another one year deal, despite how good he was on special teams.

KYPack
08-06-2014, 08:36 AM
KY, he was on a one year deal last year and tore his achilles tendon against Detroit at home. Source: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20140120/PKR0101/140120027/Free-agent-countdown-LB-Robert-Francois

Interesting point in the article...Minnesota cut Francios back in 2009 to make room for signing Brett Favre. Too bad he got hurt, although I'm not sure if Green Bay would have brought him back on another one year deal, despite how good he was on special teams.

Thx, CP.

I really didn't have great hopes for the Frenchman, I just sorta lost track of him. He made a couple plays in the red zone where he made good use of his long arms and leaping ability. That would be a good prototype for Hawk's replacement.

Just Jeff
08-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Thx, CP.
That would be a good prototype for Hawk's replacement.

Bite your tongue. Steady, durable, consistent, servicable. The only knock anyone can have against AJ is where he was drafted/expectations. Forget about being a top 10 pick and there are 31 teams that would love to have Hawk.

KYPack
08-06-2014, 12:49 PM
Bite your tongue. Steady, durable, consistent, servicable. The only knock anyone can have against AJ is where he was drafted/expectations. Forget about being a top 10 pick and there are 31 teams that would love to have Hawk.

I ain't biting shit. Hawk has been a solid guy for us for years and is an excellent ballplayer. He's going into his 9th year. We will have to replace him. That goes for a lot of guys on our roster. Remember Desmond Bishop? It can all go in the blink of an eye.

The only guy in that draft that I wish we'd have bagged was Haloti Ngata. Hawk? We got a good player and a solid citizen and a leader. That's a dollar for a dollar value in my book.

Carolina_Packer
08-06-2014, 01:56 PM
If only we could have been bad in 2006, then we could have drafted Adrian Peterson in 2007. Love ya A.J., but AP would have looked sweet in Green and Gold. I'm just glad we finally seen to have our franchise RB.

Joemailman
08-06-2014, 07:50 PM
If only we could have been bad in 2006, then we could have drafted Adrian Peterson in 2007. Love ya A.J., but AP would have looked sweet in Green and Gold. I'm just glad we finally seen to have our franchise RB.

With 4 weeks left in the season, the Packers actually had a worse record than the Vikings. But the Vikings lost 3 out of 4 to finish 6-10. The Packers won 4 in a row, including a terrible 9-7 win over the Vikings, to finish 8-8.

pbmax
08-07-2014, 12:11 AM
With 4 weeks left in the season, the Packers actually had a worse record than the Vikings. But the Vikings lost 3 out of 4 to finish 6-10. The Packers won 4 in a row, including a terrible 9-7 win over the Vikings, to finish 8-8.

Holy cow were those four wins well timed. Everyone was ready to bail on M3 at 4-8. Ted too.

wist43
08-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Elliot looks the part - nice size, long arms, good movement skills... the problem is, the guy doesn't seem to be a player.

When I looked him up on utube, he looked lazy when the play went away from him; he didn't use his hands well - if at all; he didn't get off blocks; he simply didn't seem to hustle at all.

With his physical gifts, you would think the light would go on in his head, but that doesn't seem to have happened.

KYPack
08-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Holy cow were those four wins well timed. Everyone was ready to bail on M3 at 4-8. Ted too.

Yeah.

We were 4-8 and got killed by the Jets in Lambeau in the 12th game to get there.

MTP predicted on here we'd win the last 4 games to go 8-8.

I thought he was nuts and told him so.

That might be MM's best stretch of coaching, altho the wins were half assed and a couple were by the skin of our teeth.

Bretsky
08-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Many of his plays came against Sherry; they don't count.......lol

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Doesn't Sherrod have an excellent record in 1v1s?

pbmax
08-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Doesn't Sherrod have an excellent record in 1v1s?

He gave one up to to the gentleman under discussion, as did Barclay, if I recall. Sherrod also has one other loss that I am aware of. Haven't seen totals in a while.