PDA

View Full Version : Career path of an undrafted rookie

Patler
08-09-2014, 09:06 AM
I happened to think about Tommie Draheim, the undrafted rookie center signed by the Packers in 2012. He was highly regarded, especially for GB who was looking to replace Wells. He didn't make it in GB, and this is his career path since then:

signed with GB 5/11/12
released on 8/31/12
signed to Seahawks practice squad on 9/6/12
released on 9/11/12
signed to Patriots practice squad on 12/4/12
released on 12/11/12
signed to Jaguars practice squad on 12/18/12
signed a one-year contract with Kansas City on 4/3/13
released on 8/31/13
re-signed to the Chiefs practice squad on 9/1/13
released on 9/10/13
signed to the Cardinals practice squad on 11/7/13
signed a futures contract with the Cardinals on 1/1/14.

A lot of quick releases after being signed, but going into year three, he still has a shot at a career.

C, San Diego State (6-4, 304, 5.05): Redshirted in 2007, sat out '08 with a shoulder injury, started nine games in '09 and the past two years at LT. Will move to center in Green Bay, the position he played as a senior in high school. Vertical jump of 28, broad jump of 8-8, just 22 reps on the bench and Wonderlic of 24. Arms were 32, hands were 9. Signing bonus of $8,500. From Lakeside, Calif.

AFC scout: "Interesting player. He was recruited as a center but then made a quick switch to tackle. Considered a smart guy. Not very physical. Average strength. Does not displace the line of scrimmage. Pretty good athlete. Will be better with angles and on the move than with a guy on his nose. Better in a zone-blocking scheme, which the Packers use. Not a lot of pop, but he can play on his feet."

AFC scout: "Priority free agent. He could easily be developed. If he gets cut, there will be some teams that may want to take a flier on him. He could play anywhere (position)."

vince
08-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Wow Patler. I don't remember that guy. Already knew this but you don't miss much. Sounds a lot like the other UDFA who was supposed to be the second coming at C but just wasn't strong enough - McDonald I think. He's still floating around the league too I think...

Then there was the other prospective UDFA center who did have the strength but was a relative midget who was interesting for a camp or two about the same time or right after. Don't remember his name at all but it seems like he came from a military type school...

I can't remember them from last year and you probably remember a bunch of the tryout guys from the Lombardi years...

Patler
08-09-2014, 11:36 AM
Then there was the other prospective UDFA center who did have the strength but was a relative midget who was interesting for a camp or two about the same time or right after. Don't remember his name at all but it seems like he came from a military type school...

Sampson Genus was here before Draheim, reportedly had the strength to go with his name, but was very short for the NFL.