PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Crowns Carson Palmer MVP of Super Bowl XLI

FritzDontBlitz
08-29-2006, 10:02 AM
its official. no need to even play out the season. based on palmer's recovery from a torn acl and his stellar play in the bengals' 3rd exhibition game in which he led cincy to victory over green bay, espn has already awarded cincy the lombardi trophy and palmer has been voted mvp.

according to espn, this officially makes carson palmer the greatest nfl qb of all-time due to his ability to win it all without having to actually play out the season.....

jack's smirking revenge
08-29-2006, 10:03 AM
So all we have left as Packer fans is sarcasm? Pretty sad....

tyler

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-29-2006, 10:05 AM
So all we have left as Packer fans is sarcasm? Pretty sad....

tyler

LOL, better than having nothing left I guess. :D

GoPack06
08-29-2006, 10:10 AM
I'm guessing your refering to the ESPN monday night football crew aka Carson Palmer love team. Hey i like Carson Plamer, hell of a QB, but they would not shut up about his knee. I bet they said his name at least 300 times, im not even joking.

Its jsut bad TV, ESPN right now is just going downhill in a hurry.

FritzDontBlitz
08-29-2006, 10:13 AM
just tryin to have a lil fun, based on the ridiculous kissfest going on last night in the broadcast booth.

i just think its funny that everyone acts like its impossible for a qb to recover from a knee injury when qb's have been playing with bad knees for years. remember joe namath? how about dan marino? they continued to be productive long after their knees were shot. being qb does not put as much stress on a knee as, say, playing wr or rb? which reminds me. there was this guy who was also making his debut last night after suffering a ruptured tendon last year: a much more serious injury to a player who plays a much more physically demanding position - yet, there was barely a mention of him the entire game. they spent more time talking about chad johnson's end zone celebrations than they did ahman's return from injury.

]{ilr]3
08-29-2006, 10:15 AM
I thought Suzi Colber was going to drop and blow him during that 15min interview in the 3rd quarter when they completely ignored the game that was going on! :shock:

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-29-2006, 10:17 AM

I bet no one would be complianing if they were praising Favre the whole game. Packers fans are the only people who think the MNF crew sucked yesterday. Every crew does the same thing when a player is in his prime and is young. In the Favre MVP years all I ever heard was about he great he is.

Yesterday really didn't bother me. And if you want them to stop talking shit about Favre, all that needs to be done is to have the team play better.

jack's smirking revenge
08-29-2006, 10:20 AM
just tryin to have a lil fun, based on the ridiculous kissfest going on last night in the broadcast booth.

i just think its funny that everyone acts like its impossible for a qb to recover from a knee injury when qb's have been playing with bad knees for years. remember joe namath? how about dan marino? they continued to be productive long after their knees were shot. being qb does not put as much stress on a knee as, say, playing wr or rb? which reminds me. there was this guy who was also making his debut last night after suffering a ruptured tendon last year: a much more serious injury to a player who plays a much more physically demanding position - yet, there was barely a mention of him the entire game. they spent more time talking about chad johnson's end zone celebrations than they did ahman's return from injury.

Gotcha man. I tuned out after the first half and listened to it on the radio. Couldn't watch anymore. I missed what you're talking about.

Consider this: perhaps we're just getting a taste of our own medicine. How often does ESPN and network TV gush and rehash the same talking points about Favre? I love the guy and he's my favorite QB, but the storylines don't change that much.

tyler

GoPack06
08-29-2006, 10:40 AM

I bet no one would be complianing if they were praising Favre the whole game. Packers fans are the only people who think the MNF crew sucked yesterday. Every crew does the same thing when a player is in his prime and is young. In the Favre MVP years all I ever heard was about he great he is.

Yesterday really didn't bother me. And if you want them to stop talking shit about Favre, all that needs to be done is to have the team play better.

i didnt mention them critizing Favre. Ive watched them other games and there just bad. It seems like there always getting facts wrong. YOu cant spend an entire game talking about one person, when there are over 100 players playing. If they would have taked about Favre the whole time i would been pissed.

ESPN does this with every sport, they pick about one or two guys and thats all they talk about. Never ending.

jack's smirking revenge
08-29-2006, 10:51 AM

i didnt mention them critizing Favre. Ive watched them other games and there just bad. It seems like there always getting facts wrong. YOu cant spend an entire game talking about one person, when there are over 100 players playing. If they would have taked about Favre the whole time i would been pissed.

No, but the sarcasm is in response to ESPN focusing on Palmer, as many stations typically have about Favre for the last ten years. I live in the Twin Cities and I can tell you that people are SICK of hearing about Favre. Favre is the primary story when the Packers are playing, no matter what network is airing a game.

Palmer is a big story and deserved the chatter. By the end of the season, his story line will be tired too.

I guess my point is that people have been patient with the constant Favre focus and now its time to share a bit of that limelight with other successful QBs. Favre will continue to dominate the media with his presence, but the NFL and the networks need to build new "icons" as the old ones see the sunset.

It's all about the PR.

tyler

FritzDontBlitz
08-29-2006, 11:00 AM

No, but the sarcasm is in response to ESPN focusing on Palmer, as many stations typically have about Favre for the last ten years. I live in the Twin Cities and I can tell you that people are SICK of hearing about Favre. Favre is the primary story when the Packers are playing, no matter what network is airing a game.

Palmer is a big story and deserved the chatter. By the end of the season, his story line will be tired too.

I guess my point is that people have been patient with the constant Favre focus and now its time to share a bit of that limelight with other successful QBs. Favre will continue to dominate the media with his presence, but the NFL and the networks need to build new "icons" as the old ones see the sunset.

It's all about the PR.

tyler

well, i have no problem with espn focusing all their attention on another player other than favre. in fact, i have wanted to gag on their "favre is god" coverage the past few years too. what i DO have a problem with is them hyping palmer as if he's the best qb in the nfl cuz he's had one good season. there's this guy down in indy that would probably give him a serious run for that title, and peyton does it EVERY season....

jack's smirking revenge
08-29-2006, 11:04 AM

It's all about the PR.

tyler

well, i have no problem with espn focusing all their attention on another player other than favre. in fact, i have wanted to gag on their "favre is god" coverage the past few years too. what i DO have a problem with is them hyping palmer as if he's the best qb in the nfl cuz he's had one good season. there's this guy down in indy that would probably give him a serious run for that title, and peyton does it EVERY season....

Understand your point. Palmer had an awesome season last year and there's every reason to believe that he'll do it again this year. Peyton does deserve recognition, but the game involved the Packers and Bengals and the audience was mostly the fans of each, especially in preseason. The announcers are going to gush over Palmer as opposed to other successful QBs because the focus on the game was on him and his return.

I guess I would suggest you prepare yourself for all sorts of overblown press about Palmer. Barring injury and a total Bungles team collapse, his story will be big news throughout 2006.

tyler

K-town
08-29-2006, 11:13 AM
{ilr]3]I thought Suzi Colber was going to drop and blow him during that 15min interview in the 3rd quarter when they completely ignored the game that was going on! :shock:

Me like Suzi. :mrgreen:

BTW, like your Tennessee "logo for the week." I always think of them as "The Flaming Thumbtacks", courtesy of Greg Eaterbrook.

swede
08-29-2006, 11:17 AM
I think ESPN deserves the ripping. Tony Kornheiser is the new Howard Cosell. More knowledgeable perhaps, but just as irritating.

The overall broadcast production of football everywhere is just damned annoying, but honestly I hoped for better fron ESPN. Sideline reporters butt in with breathless irrelevancies; the brevity of good play-by-play is supplanted with so-what anecdotes or who-cares information; camera operators are too close up or too far away from the action and angles are switched so frequently that the action loses coherence; and they kept showing game highlights and lowlights to create a "storyline" right in the middle of the damn game. ESPN was spinning the sad demise of a legendary quarterback at the hands of a brave young man recently returned from catastrophic knee injury during the game with a barrage of relentless video montages at the expense of true football fans who just wanted to WATCH THE DAMN GAME!

KYPack
08-29-2006, 12:05 PM
{ilr]3]I thought Suzi Colber was going to drop and blow him during that 15min interview in the 3rd quarter when they completely ignored the game that was going on! :shock:

That I might've watched.

Knowing Super Suzi, she would've fumbled.

How annoying was Tony the K on the broadcast?

Didn't see it.

FavreChild
08-29-2006, 02:54 PM
[quote="]I always think of them as "The Flaming Thumbtacks", courtesy of Greg Eaterbrook.

Oh yeah, that reminds me to go read his column for this week...

By the way, Suzy Kolber is by FAR the best part of the MNF crew.

MJZiggy
08-29-2006, 03:32 PM
[quote="]I always think of them as "The Flaming Thumbtacks", courtesy of Greg Eaterbrook.

By the way, Suzy Kolber is by FAR the best part of the MNF crew.Agreed. I said before that she and Joe need to switch places. And what's with doing the tight closeups on the other sideline reporter just because she happens to be pregnant? Is the NFL like old 50's sitcoms where everyone has to have one foot on the floor and couples sleep in twin beds?

]{ilr]3
08-29-2006, 05:24 PM

By the way, Suzy Kolber is by FAR the best part of the MNF crew.

I usually like what she does as well, but this interview was like a Soap Opera! It just went on and on with her trying to make dramatics out of every little thing. I wanted to watch football, not 15 mins of a recap of Palmers last year of life :lol:

Fritz
08-30-2006, 06:13 AM
My point in all this is slightly different. I just can't stand the pompous commentary and limited subject matter of the MNF "analysts" Theismann and Kornheiser.

The entire broadcast - the whole sorry thing - the ONLY topic was the topic of Palmer and Favre. There was no discussion of other players, the teams themselves, nothing. Palmer had been out of the game for half an hour and Theismann and Kornheiser were still gushing.

This was not doing analysis and commentary on a football game. It was yapping about two players for three hours. And the commentary was unoriginal. Palmer the hero, working to come back from injury. Favre the grizzled veteran, seeming to continue his poor play of last year, meaning he's over the hill (I don't agree with that analysis, by the way).

Wasn't anyone curious as to why Charles Woodson played so, so badly? Could Michelle have tried to find out? Anybody who isn't up to the moment in football news wonder where Odell Thurman was? If you're a Packer fan you might be interested in hearing if either of the bozos doing commentary thought Al Harris was playing really well, and if you're a Cinci fan you might be wondering where Chad Johnson went. How well did Davenport play? Any news from the sideline about how Ahman Green felt after he came out?

Mike Tirico was fine. He did well. But I thought Joe Theismann's man-love for Carson Palmer was embarrassing, and Tony Kornheiser's attempts to prove he could yap as much as Theismann about the same topic were pathetic. This new attitude - smug, self-important - makes for an awful, awful experience. And I don't live in GB so I can't get the play-by-play unless I pay for it and then sit in front of my computer.

In short, whether you're a Packer fan, a Bengals fan, or a casual fan, Theismann and Kornheiser suck. Big time.

Zool
08-30-2006, 08:08 AM
My point in all this is slightly different. I just can't stand the pompous commentary and limited subject matter of the MNF "analysts" Theismann and Kornheiser.

The entire broadcast - the whole sorry thing - the ONLY topic was the topic of Palmer and Favre. There was no discussion of other players, the teams themselves, nothing. Palmer had been out of the game for half an hour and Theismann and Kornheiser were still gushing.

This was not doing analysis and commentary on a football game. It was yapping about two players for three hours. And the commentary was unoriginal. Palmer the hero, working to come back from injury. Favre the grizzled veteran, seeming to continue his poor play of last year, meaning he's over the hill (I don't agree with that analysis, by the way).

Wasn't anyone curious as to why Charles Woodson played so, so badly? Could Michelle have tried to find out? Anybody who isn't up to the moment in football news wonder where Odell Thurman was? If you're a Packer fan you might be interested in hearing if either of the bozos doing commentary thought Al Harris was playing really well, and if you're a Cinci fan you might be wondering where Chad Johnson went. How well did Davenport play? Any news from the sideline about how Ahman Green felt after he came out?

Mike Tirico was fine. He did well. But I thought Joe Theismann's man-love for Carson Palmer was embarrassing, and Tony Kornheiser's attempts to prove he could yap as much as Theismann about the same topic were pathetic. This new attitude - smug, self-important - makes for an awful, awful experience. And I don't live in GB so I can't get the play-by-play unless I pay for it and then sit in front of my computer.

In short, whether you're a Packer fan, a Bengals fan, or a casual fan, Theismann and Kornheiser suck. Big time.

Preach on brotha!

I muted a large portion of the game so I wouldnt have to hear the inane babbling of these 2 yokels. I cant believe I am saying this, but I would acutally prefer to listen to Aikman the robot.