PDA

View Full Version : Worthy traded

denverYooper
08-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 2m
So to repeat, per @ChafieFields, who is #Packers DE Jerel Worthy's agent, @I_AM_Worthy99 has been traded to #Patriots, pending physical.

Of those eight picks in the 2012 draft, only Nick Perry, Casey Hayward and Mike Daniels now remain.

red
08-12-2014, 07:03 PM
What'd we get. A bag of peanuts in return?

What a waste

Joemailman
08-12-2014, 07:42 PM
This is probably a good move, regardless of what they got in return (probably not much). With the emergence of Daniels, and drafting Boyd and Thornton the last 2 years, I'm not sure Worthy really had a role here.

wist43
08-12-2014, 07:44 PM
I can't begin to fathom why they are investing in defensive linemen when they don't play them much anyway... there really is a complete disconnect between TT and the coaching staff.

If we play nickel 80% of the time, and we only have 2 DL on the field that entire time, why the fuck does TT keep drafting all these linemen - while we wallow along with 2 of lousiest ILB's in the league??

The Packers, as an organization, suck to high heaven at evaluating defensive talent. They should outsource drafting on that side of the ball to me :)

bobblehead
08-12-2014, 07:48 PM
this is bullshit. I can't gloat about my prediction that he gets cut now.

Brandon494
08-12-2014, 07:49 PM
Pick up a draft pick on a guy who most likely wasn't making the roster. #win

Guessing the young guys Thornton and Pennel are playing well.

bobblehead
08-12-2014, 07:49 PM
I can't begin to fathom why they are investing in defensive linemen when they don't play them much anyway... there really is a complete disconnect between TT and the coaching staff.

If we play nickel 80% of the time, and we only have 2 DL on the field that entire time, why the fuck does TT keep drafting all these linemen - while we wallow along with 2 of lousiest ILB's in the league??

The Packers, as an organization, suck to high heaven at evaluating defensive talent. They should outsource drafting on that side of the ball to me :)

Since Bellicheat traded for him does he also suck at evaluating talent?

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Pick up a draft pick on a guy who most likely wasn't making the roster. #win

Guessing the young guys Thornton and Pennel are playing well.

Worthy is a second round draft pick. This is rather quick to give up on that investment. Maybe the guy really stinks, which is a major bad mark for TT. This is lousy news in any event.

mission
08-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Packers get a pick IF Worthy makes the team. And even then, it's probably a 6 or 7.

smuggler
08-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Would be stokex if they got a 5h rounder for him. Do you think they were holding him out of practice for this reason? Worthy himself said he has beeb ready to see the field and was not given the okay to practice.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Would be stokex if they got a 5h rounder for him.
Sure. Often these trades are for a 2032 7th round pick and a sandwich to be named later. In other words, the Packers decided they were going to cut him, and they let N.E. have the guy without waiting for him to clear waivers. In return, N.E. owes Ted a solid.

red
08-12-2014, 09:03 PM
Sure. Often these trades are for a 2032 7th round pick and a sandwich to be named later. In other words, the Packers decided they were going to cut him, and they let N.E. have the guy without waiting for him to clear waivers. In return, N.E. owes Ted a solid.

That would be my guess

red
08-12-2014, 09:06 PM
So to repeat, per @ChafieFields, who is #Packers DE Jerel Worthy's agent, @I_AM_Worthy99 has been traded to #Patriots, pending physical.

Of those eight picks in the 2012 draft, only Nick Perry, Casey Hayward and Mike Daniels now remain.

And I wouldnt be too quick to hand perry a roster spot at this point either

Brandon494
08-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Bob McGinn ‏@BobMcGinn 3m
DE Kendall Reyes was guy #Packers wanted in 2012 D2. When he went 49 to #Chargers, GB panicked & traded up for Worthy at 51. Bad fit for 3-4

Damn I had us picking Perry and Reyes in he 2nd in my mock draft that year...almost.

The Shadow
08-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Worthy's entire game was based upon anticipating the snap against college talent. When he could not do that against NFL offenses, he was worthless.

Brandon494
08-12-2014, 09:16 PM
With saying that....FUCK MCGINN!!

pittstang5
08-12-2014, 09:29 PM
I've stated already that I thought Worthy would be put on PUP and probably wouldn't play this year. But trading him for a late draft pick irritates me a little. If your gonna trade him, at least get a player for him.

Whatever....

smuggler
08-12-2014, 09:41 PM
He probably wont even pass the physical. Word on the strret is that Worthy needs (lower) spine surgery. Cross those fingers.

Rutnstrut
08-12-2014, 10:03 PM

I think he's better at knowing what talent he needs and getting those kind of players. Not trying to force players into schemes they will never fit.

Bretsky
08-12-2014, 10:08 PM

a very good question

hoody genius is the best coach in the NFL

He's also a terrible gm; so the answer above would be yes.

his trades make sense but the patriots miss scott pioli....desperately

Bretsky
08-12-2014, 10:09 PM
Worthy is a second round draft pick. This is rather quick to give up on that investment. Maybe the guy really stinks, which is a major bad mark for TT. This is lousy news in any event.

bad draft pick

pbmax
08-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 37m
Remember talking to scout before 2012 draft. Called Worthy a "strange guy." True statement, considering he said torn ACL was "bone bruise"

I will never understand picking him. Would have preferred he worked out, but almost glad he is gone.

Pugger
08-12-2014, 11:18 PM
OMG! A draft pick didn't work out. Fire TT!

/thread

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2014, 11:34 PM
And I wouldnt be too quick to hand perry a roster spot at this point either

Perry will make the team...barring another injury.

run pMc
08-13-2014, 09:31 AM
Boy, that was not a good draft for TT.

He had an uphill fight to make the roster without being hurt. At this point Guion's likely gone too, which would give Pennel a reasonable shot to make the team.

Best of luck to Worthy, except when GB plays NE.

3irty1
08-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Mike Daniels and Casey Hayward still make that draft ok with a chance to be good even by TT's standards. First round expectations are gone for me with Perry but even he's still worth his rookie deal paycheck when healthy and has upside.

hoosier
08-13-2014, 10:36 AM
He probably wont even pass the physical. Word on the strret is that Worthy needs (lower) spine surgery. Cross those fingers.

Did someone find his medical records in the dumpster?

pbmax
08-13-2014, 10:43 AM
I thought he HAD back surgery this offseason?

Cheesehead Craig
08-13-2014, 11:29 AM
Didn't like the pick at the time and given he's done nothing and is injured, might as well hope for some pick in return and move on.

Striker
08-13-2014, 01:00 PM

I think the injury got the better of him. Docs must not like what they see.

pittstang5
08-13-2014, 01:26 PM
Boy, that was not a good draft for TT.

He had an uphill fight to make the roster without being hurt. At this point Guion's likely gone too, which would give Pennel a reasonable shot to make the team.

Best of luck to Worthy, except when GB plays NE.

I'd like to know why Guion is still around. Do they have to keep him because he is on the "Non-football injury list?" I would guess not cause they just traded Worthy to the Patriots and he was on the same list.

The def. line is my biggest worry and I'd like to see them bring in a player that has some experience - Jolly would be my preference, but something tells me that if Jolly could play, he'd be here.

pbmax
08-13-2014, 01:49 PM
I'd like to know why Guion is still around. Do they have to keep him because he is on the "Non-football injury list?" I would guess not cause they just traded Worthy to the Patriots and he was on the same list.

The def. line is my biggest worry and I'd like to see them bring in a player that has some experience - Jolly would be my preference, but something tells me that if Jolly could play, he'd be here.

Worthy had made some noise (reading tea leaves of reporters comments) that he was close to ready. All he has to do is pass physical for Patriots to put him on roster, no other hoops to jump through. Guion is still doing rehab workouts.

MadScientist
08-13-2014, 02:18 PM

NFI makes it easier to cut a guy because they are not on the hook for an injury settlement. They are keeping him because they want to see what he can bring, and who knows if someone else will get injured at that position. They know what Worthy could bring and knew they were going to cut him. They kept him on NFI so he didn't get injured and wind up on IR.

pbmax
08-13-2014, 05:07 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 33m
Questions about #Packers' 2012 draft but boy they hit out it of the park in UFA: OL Barclay, S Richardson, WR Boykin, TE Bostick, RB Harris

Joemailman
08-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Questions about #Packers' 2012 draft but boy they hit out it of the park in UFA: OL Barclay, S Richardson, WR Boykin, TE Bostick, RB Harris

Why do some team win and some teams don't? Both Boykin and Harris were members of the Jacksonville Jaguars before getting cut and signed by the Packers. Harris played in 5 games for Jacksonville in 2011 before being cut in August 2012. Boykin was with Jacksonville for a few days in May 2012 before getting cut.

HarveyWallbangers
08-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Mike Daniels and Casey Hayward still make that draft ok with a chance to be good even by TT's standards. First round expectations are gone for me with Perry but even he's still worth his rookie deal paycheck when healthy and has upside.

Agreed. Jamari Lattimore was a UDFA that year (which I kind of consider part of a team's draft). Not sure who else. I know Sam Shields was a UDFA in 2010.

Rutnstrut
08-13-2014, 08:08 PM
Worthy passed his physical with the Pats.

red
08-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Worthy passed his physical with the Pats.

whoop

here we come, one of the last pics in the draft, get ready

conditional 7th rounder, thats like trading a guy for "past considerations"

so, is this TT's biggest draft bust to date? a second rounder given away 2 years after he was drafted?

hoosier
08-13-2014, 08:45 PM
whoop

so, is this TT's biggest draft bust to date? a second rounder given away 2 years after he was drafted?

Not clear if the chronically injured should count as busts, but if they do then Justin Harrell definitely outweighs Worthy.

red
08-13-2014, 09:01 PM
Not clear if the chronically injured should count as busts, but if they do then Justin Harrell definitely outweighs Worthy.

well harrell was chronically injured before we even drafted him. so in my mind, yes, harrell would be the bigger bust

i actually had already forgotten about him

Teamcheez1
08-13-2014, 09:15 PM
well harrell was chronically injured before we even drafted him. so in my mind, yes, harrell would be the bigger bust

i actually had already forgotten about him

Brian Brohm was also a second rounder who didn't pan out.

Patler
08-13-2014, 09:44 PM
It wasn't just losing a 2nd round pick with Worthy's failure. TT traded up to get Worthy. It cost them their own 2nd (#59) and fourth (#123) to move up to #51 to get Worthy.

Carolina_Packer
08-13-2014, 10:00 PM
In 2008, Jordy Nelson turned out to be a great pick, but later that same round we drafted Brian Brohm and then Pat Lee 4 picks apart. Someone named Jamaal Charles was drafted by the Chiefs the next round. Yikes!

mission
08-13-2014, 10:50 PM
Is that true that we had a shot at Lavante David? Yikes. That hurts.

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2014, 11:31 PM
It wasn't just losing a 2nd round pick with Worthy's failure. TT traded up to get Worthy. It cost them their own 2nd (#59) and fourth (#123) to move up to #51 to get Worthy.

The guy's had some tough breaks with injuries. It's not like he hasn't worked hard as a professional. Coaches said he spent extra time in the film room, soaking up all the information he could. His nickname was "Sponge." Sponge Worthy.

Bretsky
08-13-2014, 11:42 PM
whoop

Ah Red.....all of TT's drafts are solid when you include the undrafted guys

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2014, 09:21 AM
Ah Red.....all of TT's drafts are solid when you include the undrafted guys

The UDFAs from 2012: Don Barclay, Brandon Bostick, Jarrett Boykin, DuJuan Harris, Sean Richardson. That's an impressive haul and it's not common.

3irty1
08-14-2014, 09:30 AM
Do we know what draft pick we're getting for Worthy? In order of how poorly TT did his job I'd rank the biggest busts as:

Brohm, then Worthy, then Harrell. Harrell's injuries were completely unrelated to his predraft ones, a strength and conditioning coach got fired over his back, and more importantly the guy could play. Worthy wasn't healthy and not particularly good. But Brohm... Brohm was soooooo shitty. There was a terrible disparity in between his actual talent and the talent of those evaluating him. That's much worse IMO. He had no injuries to hide behind, he's just bad at football.

pbmax
08-14-2014, 10:02 AM
Its reportedly a seventh, I have not seen it described as variable based on playing time, etc.

pittstang5
08-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Its reportedly a seventh, I have not seen it described as variable based on playing time, etc.

A 7th? :x

red
08-14-2014, 10:51 AM

ahem

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/only-casey-hayward-mike-neal-stand-out-on-flat-2012-draft-b99329732z1-271186871.html

Less than two years in, Manning and McMillian were cut, Worthy has been traded and Perry isn't a lock to make the team given his injury history and the Packers' depth at the outside linebacker position.

yup, that just happened

red
08-14-2014, 10:52 AM

i think i've seen that its based on him making the team

if he doesn't make the final 53, then we get nothing

Fritz
08-14-2014, 12:10 PM
The guy's had some tough breaks with injuries. It's not like he hasn't worked hard as a professional. Coaches said he spent extra time in the film room, soaking up all the information he could. His nickname was "Sponge." Sponge Worthy.

In college, his nickname was "Note" Worthy, but in the pros the "e" was dropped, and now his nickname is "Not" Worthy.

vince
08-14-2014, 12:10 PM
ahem

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/only-casey-hayward-mike-neal-stand-out-on-flat-2012-draft-b99329732z1-271186871.html

yup, that just happened
I trust Harv's football perspective over Silverstein's all day long.

bobblehead
08-14-2014, 02:46 PM

Sounds a lot like what people were saying to me about Ryan Grant....then he was forced to take a rather sizable pay cut. But I agree, I think Perry makes the team.

KYPack
08-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Worthy had one move. He'd try to get skinny and knife thru the line. OL's spotted this and hammered his ass.

buh bye, kid.

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Worthy had one move. He'd try to get skinny and knife thru the line. OL's spotted this and hammered his ass.

buh bye, kid.

We've also heard the theory that he just guessed the count in college.

Beilema said he was the quickest defensive lineman the Badgers ever played, thought he would be a stud in pros.

I tend to think he was injured all the time and the jury is still out. Well, the fact that Packers gave up on him means the jury is thinking guilty, but it's not set.

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2014, 04:17 PM
In college, his nickname was "Note" Worthy, but in the pros the "e" was dropped, and now his nickname is "Not" Worthy.

These jokes are written by his brother Cringe.

Bretsky
08-14-2014, 05:18 PM

Beilema said he was the quickest defensive lineman the Badgers ever played, thought he would be a stud in pros.

I tend to think he was injured all the time and the jury is still out. Well, the fact that Packers gave up on him means the jury is thinking guilty, but it's not set.

And when I found this out it makes sense we gave him away

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2014, 06:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1a2KSMRQAo

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2014, 06:51 PM
Beilema was an all-conference Big Ten defensive lineman. I have to give him a little cred in judging talent on the D-line. Michigan State was very much on his radar screen during Worthy's years.

Patler
08-14-2014, 09:02 PM
Didn't Worthy have a career game against the Badgers his last year?

KYPack
08-14-2014, 09:17 PM

He was quick, but a Johnny One note type player. Coach Belly must think it's worth letting his coaches having a go at the kid.

A quick 5 tech is always something worth developing.

This kid just ain't violent with his hands.

Fritz
08-15-2014, 10:40 AM
He was quick, but a Johnny One note type player. Coach Belly must think it's worth letting his coaches having a go at the kid.

A quick 5 tech is always something worth developing.

This kid just ain't violent with his hands.

Much is being made of Worthy costing a 2 pick plus whatever it was Ted paid to move up. Certainly I can see that. My thinking is that because of injuries, Worthy was not able to develop. I am reasonably certain the Packer coaches knew Worthy was a one-trick pony coming out of MSU, but thought that with time they could coach 'em up, teach him some new moves, strengthen him, and so on.

Well, the kid didn't really get on the field, and in the meantime, this other kid named Mike Daniels, who seems to be the same kind of player, did develop moves and had a similar quickness. So the coaches and GM don't really have the time/need to develop Worthy since there are only so many d-linemen you can keep. I think the drafting of Thornton plays into this as well. If you even partially buy TT's "best available" line, then Thornton was not necessarily a need pick - he just happened to have talent and was available. He's got that raw talent and needs developing, just like Worthy (still) does, and the staff probably thought they just didn't have room for both those guys plus the rest of the group.

As for Worthy now being seen as a wasted pick, it depends on how you see it. If TT had drafted Daniels in the second round and Worthy in the fourth, people wouldn't be so much up in arms as they are. In the end, the Packers drafted two similar guys. One seems to be working out well, the other isn't.

Harlan Huckleby
08-15-2014, 12:13 PM
FWIW, Jason Wilde weighed in on the Homer radio show with thought that Packers didn't like Worthy's intensity. He didn't seem unhappy about being inactive due to injury. He does not have a high motor on the field. I have no idea if this is fair or true.

Wilde also pointed out that Julius Peppers is a guy with inconsistent effort, takes plays off, as was demonstrated in his sleep-walk through first preseason game. But Peppers has much more talent than Worthy.

denverYooper
08-15-2014, 12:29 PM
It also seems as though the Packers are more willing to let oft-injured players leave these days.

denverYooper
08-15-2014, 12:33 PM
FWIW, Jason Wilde weighed in on the Homer radio show with thought that Packers didn't like Worthy's intensity. He didn't seem unhappy about being inactive due to injury. He does not have a high motor on the field. I have no idea if this is fair or true.

Wilde also pointed out that Julius Peppers is a guy with inconsistent effort, takes plays off, as was demonstrated in his sleep-walk through first preseason game. But Peppers has much more talent than Worthy.

Until Peppers obviously has nothing left, he's going to be a guy that opposing offenses will have to account for in critical situations. Hell, he can sleepwalk half of the season for all I care, as long as he shows up in the "gotta have it" moments to close out games or win in the playoffs. The guy who can make that play hasn't been around much for GB these last few years.

Joemailman
08-15-2014, 04:52 PM

That was the knock on Worthy coming out of Michigan St. http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/jerel-worthy-99/

Negatives:
Average processing speed — can be late to find the ball (and looked like he was thinking too much as he tripped over a bag in Combine drills). Too often coasted and took plays off — motor idles. Does not play with fire — mild playing temperament. Has underachiever tendencies — production did not meet talent. Struggles handling double-teams. Tired too easily and tended to wear down in games.

smuggler
08-15-2014, 05:44 PM

New England does not have a 2015 7th rounder, so I guess it's a 6th rounder. What I've heard is that it's not just contingent on his making their roster, but some kind of participation clause as well.

pbmax
08-15-2014, 06:45 PM
New England does not have a 2015 7th rounder, so I guess it's a 6th rounder. What I've heard is that it's not just contingent on his making their roster, but some kind of participation clause as well.

Yeah, I read somewhere else yesterday that it is, indeed, conditional. But didn't have terms.

Patler
08-15-2014, 09:51 PM
I think reporters are guessing on the conditions, because I have seen somewhat conflicting statements. One of the early articles stated very definitively that it was conditional only (and it said "only") on him passing a physical, and it didn't matter if he actually made the final roster. Then another said it was a graduated draft pick dependent on playing time.

I guess we will find out next off season.

smuggler
08-16-2014, 02:29 AM
Maybe if he makes the roster it's a sixth, and if he makes playing time incentives, it escalates to a fifth rounder. That would probably be the best outcome for the Pack,..

Guiness
08-17-2014, 11:33 PM
Worthy's entire game was based upon anticipating the snap against college talent. When he could not do that against NFL offenses, he was worthless.

+1

All I remember about him on the field was what seemed like a mess of false start penalties.

pbmax
05-07-2016, 07:29 PM

BUMP!!

Boy does WesHod look slightly optimistic in retrospect. Should be gone, injured, gone wrong, gone very wrong and head case.

mraynrand
05-08-2016, 07:02 AM
Until Peppers obviously has nothing left, he's going to be a guy that opposing offenses will have to account for in critical situations. Hell, he can sleepwalk half of the season for all I care, as long as he shows up in the "gotta have it" moments to close out games or win in the playoffs. T

SLIDE! SLIDE!!

Carolina_Packer
05-08-2016, 07:09 AM
Perhaps the thread title should have been Not Worthy.