PDA

View Full Version : What Packerrats Said About The Worthy Pick

Joemailman
08-15-2014, 07:41 PM
From the Day Two NFL Draft Thread:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?23937-Official-Day-Two-2012-NFL-Draft-Thread/page4&highlight=jerel+worthy

We got Worthy...Awesome..

It's gotta be Worthy, it just has to be. Please!

JEREL WORTHY! GREAT PICK!

Wow on Worthy.

At #51 we get what..... NOT a WR...Maybe TT goes OL>> It's ???????? Picking Leroy Butler..at #51 we get the Man Yes Yes Yes !!!

DT Jerel Worthy. Value Value Value but ...... who is he????

Is WORTHY a Green Bay Packer ??

He was projected to go at #23 and we get him at #51 and he's the 4th Ranked DT in this DRAFT. He was first Round Grade (91) and to put it in perspective the grade on Nick Perry was (88) and he was projected to go at 38.

TT has killed it !!

We just have to get this DT focused and Happy in Green Bay.

TT is God!!! :wave:

Is this guy much better than Still ??????????????

thats a pretty damn good first 2 rounds

Ok pick with Worthy, meets another need, I guess the Packers front office did realize that they had some personnel weaknesses on defense. Mike McCarthy is a fat, balding, liar.

I bet Rodgers is so pissed off right now.

Pad level Worthy!

So we gave up our 2nd and 4th rounders to move up 8 spots?? If so I can live with that. Still surprised they took Worthy over Still given his character concerns but happy our first two picks went to the front seven.

Bretsky
08-15-2014, 07:43 PM
From the Day Two NFL Draft Thread:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?23937-Official-Day-Two-2012-NFL-Draft-Thread/page4&highlight=jerel+worthy

So Bretsky was not fond of the pick form the start ! lol

Joemailman
08-15-2014, 07:52 PM
So Bretsky was not fond of the pick form the start ! lol

Yup. For the record, Still and Worthy have been about the same. Still has not started a game yet for the Bengals.

smuggler
08-15-2014, 07:55 PM
But, it is a little more difficult to crack the Bengals front four than the Packers front 2?

Bretsky
08-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Yup. For the record, Still and Worthy have been about the same. Still has not started a game yet for the Bengals.

He's playing on a defense.

Breaking into the Packers DL does not take much ...........

Bretsky
08-15-2014, 07:57 PM
We should go find commentary about the Fluffy pick :)

And yes, you can call me out for wanting Brooks Smash Mouth Reed :)

Joemailman
08-15-2014, 08:06 PM
We should go find commentary about the Fluffy pick :)

And yes, you can call me out for wanting Brooks Smash Mouth Reed :)

Who's Fluffy?

Teamcheez1
08-15-2014, 08:14 PM
I'm surprised that none of you have attempted to tie the Tony Mandarich pick to woes along the offensive line today.

red
08-15-2014, 08:33 PM
i would like to go ahead and defend my statement by declaring myself mentally incompetent

Bretsky
08-15-2014, 08:42 PM
Who's Fluffy?

Sherrod

Joemailman
08-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Sherrod

I thought you called him Sherry. :-) I think you're wrong about him. He will save the season when Bulaga has his annual injury.

Harlan Huckleby
08-15-2014, 09:18 PM
Defensive line seems to be the hardest position to draft, more busts there anywhere else.

Part of that is that the position is so hard to fill, you need somebody really big and athletic, which is rare. A lot of successful college DL are small. That leads teams to draft in higher rounds, thus the perceived busts.

I thought Worthy was a good pick, still expect he can succeed in league.

Bretsky
08-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Here's my off the wall DL Prediction...that Pernelll dude....he's a beast of a specimen....we're keeping that guy and he's staying around for a while in GB

Bretsky
08-15-2014, 09:32 PM
I thought you called him Sherry. :-) I think you're wrong about him. He will save the season when Bulaga has his annual injury.

I refer to him with multiple personalities...Fluffy....Sherry....Justine...from the Harrell nightmare....

I think Bulaga stays healthy this year. He's a player and may be our 2nd best OL when healthy

pbmax
08-15-2014, 09:54 PM
Pretty sure Fluffy belongs to Marshmellow Newhouse.

Sherrod is the future king :lol:

pbmax
08-15-2014, 09:57 PM
I'm calling shenanigans. Brandon knows talent. He told us that a couple of threads ago.

Brandon494
08-16-2014, 08:12 AM
I'm calling shenanigans. Brandon knows talent. He told us that a couple of threads ago.

Yea not like he had any injuries or the fact we are changing our personnel on the D-line. :-)

I do admit though I'm not that great on picking lineman, skill players are my expertise.

Willard
08-16-2014, 08:38 AM
i would like to go ahead and defend my statement by declaring myself mentally incompetent
When you said you were excited about the first two rounds I assumed you were at a bar!

Patler
08-16-2014, 08:42 AM
Worthy's rookie season wasn't impacted by injuries until it ended with the ACL injury in the last week, was it? I thought he was healthy until then, and played a lot, just didn't do much.

Patler
08-16-2014, 08:48 AM
Worthy isn't that big of a guy for a DL. In fact, many said he was too small for Capers' old 3-4. He would seem to fit the new approach for quicker types who will get up the field more. I was kind of looking forward to seeing what he might do this year. Giving up on him after only his rookie season (2013 was irrelevant) is surprising.

KYPack
08-16-2014, 08:59 AM

OK.

Yer covered.

Lately, your synapses seemed to be more frayed than usual, what is happening?

Bretsky
08-16-2014, 09:07 AM
Worthy isn't that big of a guy for a DL. In fact, many said he was too small for Capers' old 3-4. He would seem to fit the new approach for quicker types who will get up the field more. I was kind of looking forward to seeing what he might do this year. Giving up on him after only his rookie season (2013 was irrelevant) is surprising.

We drafted well that year on paper for a 4-3 defense

Brandon494
08-16-2014, 09:45 AM

Don't think he is a good fit, it was well known he was better suited to play in a 4-3 but when a 1st round talent falls to the 2nd round you take a chance even if it isnt the perfect fit. The new approach to the D-line seems to be taller guys with Daniels being the exception. Also coming off his ACL tear I'm guessing his quickness isn't what it once was. I didn't think he would make the team anyway so I'm happy we at least get a pick out of it.

Brandon494
08-16-2014, 09:47 AM
Worthy's rookie season wasn't impacted by injuries until it ended with the ACL injury in the last week, was it? I thought he was healthy until then, and played a lot, just didn't do much.

Most rookie DL don't do much their rookie seasons.

pbmax
08-16-2014, 10:55 AM

If we can trust the numbers, he wasn't very far off. Big enough that he should have been able to have an impact. I think he was 6' 3" and over 300 lbs. He did try to lose weight to become more of a modern 3-4 DE who might hover just below 300.

But his game was all quick start. KYP mentioned that it was one trick and that was it. Injuries made developing a second move very problematic.

There are too many moving pieces here (health, size, game, attitude) but it will be interesting to see who takes his place.

Iron Mike
08-16-2014, 11:01 AM
When you said you were excited about the first two rounds I assumed you were at a bar!

How do you know he's not?? :)

texaspackerbacker
08-16-2014, 11:50 AM
I was on a leave of absence from PR when Worthy was picked, but I was all for it at the time. As recently as this off-season, I still thought highly of him. I just wonder if the whole story will ever come out. Is he physically damaged goods? Or did he piss off somebody really bad? Or does it have something to do with changing philosophy in the D-Line? As of now, I am rooting for Worthy to flop miserably with the Patriots (or maybe to look just good enough to make the team so the Packers get that low draft pick, then flop).

Patler
08-16-2014, 08:50 PM
Most rookie DL don't do much their rookie seasons.

Exactly, which makes it all the more strange that they didn't even give him a chance this year. After all, he was on PUP essentially all of 2013. Yet, they didn't even look at him this year.

bobblehead
08-17-2014, 08:59 AM
Exactly, which makes it all the more strange that they didn't even give him a chance this year. After all, he was on PUP essentially all of 2013. Yet, they didn't even look at him this year.

Could this be saying something about how they feel re: Pennel and others?

wist43
08-17-2014, 09:27 AM
I remember I liked the draft in general... was just recovering from a hip replacement though, so I was in a morophine induced stupor, lol...

TT is a good GM, but he is stubborn to his, and the teams, own detriment... BPA, regardless of position, body type, etc... if you're running a 3-4, and need someone to play NT?? you need to find a NT, not a 4-3 DT.

Worthy should have been able to man a DE spot in a 3-4 base, but the injury and whatever other demons he carries with him prevented that. That said, 3-4 DE's grow on trees, and you don't need to spend a 2nd round draft pick on one.

TT has fixed the mess he created a little bit, but our defense is still wildly dysfunctional and completely lacking in identity. Throw in the middle of that TT and MM's love of pedestrian players like AJ Hawk and Brad Jones, and you have the makings of a terrible defense - not suprisingly, we've had a terrible defense for the past few years.

Fritz
08-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Could this be saying something about how they feel re: Pennel and others?

Could Pennel be the new Cletidus Hunt? Works hard and shows talent when his career is on the line, but the minute he gets that big contract, it's *poof*.

Time will tell. I'm rooting for the guy, though. He's got talent and the team could use a real nose tackle.

Carolina_Packer
08-17-2014, 05:32 PM
Could Pennel be the new Cletidus Hunt? Works hard and shows talent when his career is on the line, but the minute he gets that big contract, it's *poof*.

Time will tell. I'm rooting for the guy, though. He's got talent and the team could use a real nose tackle.

Good article on Pennel: http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2014/08/11/undrafted-rookie-pennel-making-run-roster-spot/13935273/

If this guy makes the roster and stays motivated, it could be a nice diamond in the rough, and the Packers can forget about the swing and miss that was Worthy.

bobblehead
08-18-2014, 06:28 PM

Its early, and I speculate based on things available to me. I think ditching worthy says something. Otherwise I think they would have given worthy a better shot. Pennel could also be donald lee. "Wow, he looks good...why does he suck?"