PDA

View Full Version : Looking to the regular season

GoPack06
08-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Didnt it seem like the Packers looked past the Bengals last night. Not that they just didn't play good. But it seemed like they are more focused on playing the Bears. All week they have had closed practices where they've been getting ready for the Bears.

I'm not sure its good to just look past your last two preaseason games, or maybe it is. I guess will find out week 1

FritzDontBlitz
08-29-2006, 10:15 AM
well, that IS the game that actually counts.

but yes, i kinda wondered that too when i read it last week....

jack's smirking revenge
08-29-2006, 10:23 AM
I truly hope that's not the case. You don't "look past" preseason games to a regular season game, especially in the case that "cutdown day" is nigh. These games are tune-ups for the regular season. How is this vehicle supposed to operate efficiently if it isn't prepped for the race?

They are the dumbest team on grass if they're "looking past" preseason and "not playing" to prepare for the Bears game.

tyler

ahaha
08-29-2006, 10:32 AM
The great thing about preseason is that the teams aren't actually trying to win. Therfore, like the experts say, "You're never as good as look in preseason or as bad". Clearly there are reasons for concern. But, there are also reasons for hope. This is a young team, which means there is plenty of room for improvement. I still think they'll go 9-7, but I doubt many would agree with me.

GoPack06
08-29-2006, 10:36 AM
The great thing about preseason is that the teams aren't actually trying to win. Therfore, like the experts say, "You're never as good as look in preseason or as bad". Clearly there are reasons for concern. But, there are also reasons for hope. This is a young team, which means there is plenty of room for improvement. I still think they'll go 9-7, but I doubt many would agree with me.

i agree. altough im shooting for 8-8

FritzDontBlitz
08-29-2006, 10:39 AM
I truly hope that's not the case. You don't "look past" preseason games to a regular season game, especially in the case that "cutdown day" is nigh. These games are tune-ups for the regular season. How is this vehicle supposed to operate efficiently if it isn't prepped for the race?

They are the dumbest team on grass if they're "looking past" preseason and "not playing" to prepare for the Bears game.

tyler

well, if the first real game in your head coaching career is against your biggest divisional rival i can understand wanting to focus most of your effort there. its the same thing lovie smith did when he came to chicago: he said priority 1 was "beating green bay."

mmmdk
08-29-2006, 10:44 AM
8-8 is very possible with that cupcake Packer schedule. Only contenders are New England home, at Miami, at Seattle. Games vs division will always be a battle but every single game vs NFC North is winable.

There'll be games vs Saints, Rams, Jets, Cardinals, at Bills, at 49ers - all winable. There're no Chargers, Bengals, Steelers, Panthers, (at) Cowboys, Broncos, Giants, Colts, Jaguars or Bucs. Still, you gotta play the games.

jack's smirking revenge
08-29-2006, 10:46 AM

tyler

well, if the first real game in your head coaching career is against your biggest divisional rival i can understand wanting to focus most of your effort there. its the same thing lovie smith did when he came to chicago: he said priority 1 was "beating green bay."

I understand the focus on the Bears. We all want to beat them. But first you have to (in no particular order)...

1. Make sure your new offensive schemes work.
2. Make sure your rookies and new players work and that chemistry is being built.
3. Build chemistry with new coaches and team.
4. Test your game planning and game management.
5. Find your starters.
6. Identify problem areas and come up with plans to address those problems.

This is a quick list and is in no way comprehensive. Focusing on a single team, rather than making sure the team fundamentals and/or chemistry is sound, is a backwards approach. I know Lovie's quote, but it was "tongue-in-cheek". He had to build the team in order to live up to his commitment to beat his rival.

Our season does not hinge on beating the Bears. Our season hinges on playing and being successful as a team. If we can do that, beating the Bears will happen without fail.

tyler

ahaha
08-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Our season does not hinge on beating the Bears. Our season hinges on playing and being successful as a team. If we can do that, beating the Bears will happen without fail.

I wish someone would have told Forrest Gregg that!

chewy-bacca
08-29-2006, 11:03 AM
[quote="FritzDontBlitz"][quote=jack's smirking revenge]

tyler

well done.

mmmdk
08-29-2006, 11:22 AM

I wish someone would have told Forrest Gregg that!

Well said, easily the best post of the day!

GBRulz
08-29-2006, 11:34 AM
I still think Sherman got through security last night and took over as head coach. Guys weren't motivated at all.

mmmdk
08-29-2006, 11:39 AM
I still think Sherman got through security last night and took over as head coach. Guys weren't motivated at all.

Blame it on the rain...Packers were kinda Milli Vanilli on that MNF :razz: