PDA

View Full Version : Analytics Coming To Packers Player Personnel

pbmax
08-16-2014, 12:09 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-exploring-benefits-of-analytics-in-player-personnel-scouting-b99331427z1-271478841.html

Its already everywhere else (coaching, training, cap and contract) inside Oneida St. The Vikings and Bears are doing it, so Ted is going to give it a shot. Bob gives a nice summary of who is doing what elsewhere in the League. He also provides the template for EVERY business discussion among existing personnel to a new idea or approach.

Just as it was in the "Moneyball" experience in Oakland, resistance is commonplace in the NFL.

"You know what? It's all a crock of (expletive)," one veteran scout said. "They're going to tell you if a guy can play or cannot play? C'mon."

Said another: "Who knows what it (analytics) is? To me, it's common sense. If you can't evaluate players, I don't give a damn what type of analytics you have."

And a third: "We got an analytics guys who said, 'Well, the metrics of the height-weight-speed proportion of the lean muscle mass are to a point, why not take a shot on him as a free agent?'

"I go, 'The (expletive) never makes any plays.'"

This is Bob at his best. Has a note about how a previous analytics guy was very positive on acquiring Clay Matthews and Raji in 2009.

red
08-16-2014, 12:58 PM
maybe this will help ted to figure out that other teams draft picks can be good players too

the same old fuckers that were quoted in that article are probably the same ones responsible for massive draft busts, and throwing millions at guys in free agency that never do anything afterwards.

common sense my ass

i'm starting to think it might give us better odds if we just throw a bunch of names into a fishbowl for the draft