PDA

View Full Version : Sherrodhouse

Harlan Huckleby
08-18-2014, 09:41 PM
Bill Scott said on the Mike Lucas Show today that he expects Sherrod won't make the roster. His thinking is that Sherrod's feet are just too slow to play NFL tackle. Unfixable problem. Scott said if Sherrod makes roster, Thompson will keep working on finding a replacement.

That's two packer journalists who have had pretty dire assessments. Jason Wilde and Bill Scott are not bomb throwers.

I know this topic has been beaten to death already, but I thought I saw the horse move a little.

pbmax
08-18-2014, 09:59 PM
Bill Scott said on the Mike Lucas Show today that he expects Sherrod won't make the roster. His thinking is that Sherrod's feet are just too slow to play NFL tackle. Unfixable problem. Scott said if Sherrod makes roster, Thompson will keep working on finding a replacement.

That's two packer journalists who have had pretty dire assessments. Jason Wilde and Bill Scott are not bomb throwers.

I know this topic has been beaten to death already, but I thought I saw the horse move a little.

This is getting dumb (reporters, not Harlan).

Bill Scott is famous for having not attended any Packer practices in years and is regularly derided for his pronouncements based on reading the paper.

Wilde is strictly a storyline guy. Last week Sherrod was fine. This week he must be replaced. He keeps no stats and talks to few people outside of the Packers except players and agents. I get the concern and the subject is not a manufactured controversy, but people need to let this play out. Thompson isn't going to trade a draft pick for a backup tackle and anyone off the street will be worse, even if a vet. Ask the Steelers and Big Ben how replacement level tackles play in the NFL.

In Tennessee on a wet track, people were encouraged by Sherrod's performance on a poor surface, feeling that if he could perform in poor conditions he must really trust his leg.

Now on a fast track with 3 bad plays, he is clearly gimpy and slow, doesn't trust his leg and can no longer be a Tackle. This is Column A and Column B reporting, taking two quite possibly unrelated facts, finding causation and declaring the end of a career.

Against KC before the injury, Sherrod was very much able to catch the very quick rushers that were coming at him. He had some kind of odd, short and narrow setup in St. Louis that served him poorly. They have to correct, adjust and let him get better. When McCarthy said the kid needs reps, he didn't mean an entire offseason of no mistakes.

He meant he has to learn it step by step again.

pbmax
08-18-2014, 10:15 PM
Be more worried about the Rubber Ducky comet:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--pouATu2_--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/arjtzhfbtuguq0c1qn4v.jpg

michel @quark1972
comet #67P/ #Churyumov-Gerasimenko on the ground.

Harlan Huckleby
08-18-2014, 10:15 PM
This is getting dumb (reporters, not Harlan).

Oh, I'll own a little stupidity for creating a new thread. But I expect Sherrod will be this year's controversy, at least for a while, so it deserves a neighborhood watch program.

Sherrod did look slow. You think it might be a gimpy leg on the mend. I'm lighting two candles tonight, one for Bakhtiari, the other for Bulaga.

Joemailman
08-18-2014, 11:02 PM
Who exactly do they think will make the team at OT? If Bakh or Bulaga get hurt, the Packers will be without 2 of their top 3 OT's. There probably isn't a team in the NFL that wouldn't have issues if that happened to them. If Sherrod has to start and he struggles, they will find ways to give him help. The Packers went 23-6 in 2011-2012 with Marshall Newhouse at LT. They'll be okay if Sherrod has to play.

smuggler
08-18-2014, 11:08 PM
Lol these vuys are clowns. Not going to make the roster? Who'll back up Bulaga and Bakhtiari? The ghost of Gillingham??

RashanGary
08-18-2014, 11:32 PM
So far Newhouse has been the better player. I'm not so sure they'll be fine with Sherrod on the field.

Joemailman
08-18-2014, 11:38 PM
So far Newhouse has been the better player. I'm not so sure they'll be fine with Sherrod on the field.

Well, Newhouse has had more of an opportunity to play since his missed block on Tamba Hali resulted in Sherrod's shattered leg.

texaspackerbacker
08-19-2014, 12:07 AM
If you have one weak link in the O Line, you can usually cover it with scheme or positioning or whatever. When Sherrod messed up, he was probably the best or at least highest regarded of the second teamers, so he wasn't gonna get any covering up. Furthermore, part of that messing up was against the Rams first team DEs. At very least, he should be an adequate backup. I'm still rooting for him to outplay Bakhtiari and start, although after last week, that seems less likely.

Pugger
08-19-2014, 06:13 AM
Who exactly do they think will make the team at OT? If Bakh or Bulaga get hurt, the Packers will be without 2 of their top 3 OT's. There probably isn't a team in the NFL that wouldn't have issues if that happened to them. If Sherrod has to start and he struggles, they will find ways to give him help. The Packers went 23-6 in 2011-2012 with Marshall Newhouse at LT. They'll be okay if Sherrod has to play.

This.

The Rams game is being shown this morning on the NFLN so I am going to watch it again and make it a point to check out all of Sherrod's play to see if he was as dreadful as some are saying. I remember he messed up when he first went in but I want to see if his play improved the longer he was in.

bobblehead
08-19-2014, 06:50 AM
Um, yea. Won't make the roster. Got it.

Pugger
08-19-2014, 09:11 AM
This.

The Rams game is being shown this morning on the NFLN so I am going to watch it again and make it a point to check out all of Sherrod's play to see if he was as dreadful as some are saying. I remember he messed up when he first went in but I want to see if his play improved the longer he was in.

Rats. I was wrong, NFLN is not showing the Packer game this morning. They are showing the Steeler/Bills game. Their website lied to me. :???:

Patler
08-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Um, yea. Won't make the roster. Got it.

Are you suggesting that Jeremy Vujnovich or John Fullington are not ready to be the #3 tackle??:lol:

Seriously, though, I wonder what might have happened with Sherrod if Barclay hadn't been hurt. Some reports have said Lane Taylor has been decent at guard. I could have seen the Packers going with 8 OL including Barclay, Taylor and Linsley.

Harlan Huckleby
08-19-2014, 01:17 PM
I'm trying to remember if the Packers ever brought-in a serviceable offensive tackle during training camp or in-season.

Rootie Tootie Robbins comes to mind, not sure. I remember there was an aging vet for San Fran that was brought in briefly.
Probably a trade for a guy better than Sherrod is a long shot.

edit: I think the San Fran guy's name was "Wallace"

Harlan Huckleby
08-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Newhouse started for the Bengals last week because regular starter was hurt. Wonder how he looked.

Hey, perhaps a trade for Newhouse!?

pittstang5
08-19-2014, 01:31 PM
Rats. I was wrong, NFLN is not showing the Packer game this morning. They are showing the Steeler/Bills game. Their website lied to me. :???:

I think it's on sometime on Wednesday - at least that's what my DVR told me. It could be lying too.

pittstang5
08-19-2014, 01:40 PM
It could be worse, we could have Barbre. Eagles fans and reporters were so high on him and weren't worried at all that he'd have to play the first four games for suspended Lane Johnson. I guess they saw the true Barbre this past week and now everyone's scared.

Harlan Huckleby
08-19-2014, 01:41 PM
YA know, I can't find any instance where the Packer got an offensive tackle after training camp opened. I think they tried-out Steve Wallace from San Fran but didn't sign him. Bruce Wilkerson was signed before training camp, ended up playing in 1996 Super Bowl.

Maybe they signed some guy off waivers sometime but I don't remember.

KYPack
08-19-2014, 01:53 PM
YA know, I can't find any instance where the Packer got an offensive tackle after training camp opened. I think they tried-out Steve Wallace from San Fran but didn't sign him. Bruce Wilkerson was signed before training camp, ended up playing in 1996 Super Bowl.

Maybe they signed some guy off waivers sometime but I don't remember.

2009, mebbe?

The Barbre experiment at RT blew up in everybodies face, so they brought back old war horse Mark Tauscher to finish out the year.

Taush had been out since hurting his knee in 2008.

He got the position stabilized and the Pack made the play-offs, only to lose to AZ in that crazy final game.

pbmax
08-19-2014, 02:20 PM
nm

pbmax
08-19-2014, 02:22 PM
2009, mebbe?

The Barbre experiment at RT blew up in everybodies face, so they brought back old war horse Mark Tauscher to finish out the year.

Taush had been out since hurting his knee in 2008.

He got the position stabilized and the Pack made the play-offs, only to lose to AZ in that crazy final game.

That was the year the fixed it right before a Cowboys game. Man was that a fun win.

Harlan Huckleby
08-19-2014, 02:50 PM
I hope they aren't planning on bringing Tausch back. He was always a "bad body" player, and he's kept on that trajectory.

Bretsky
08-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Free Fluffy !!!

Seriously...the reporters are whacked....he's TT's first. He's got a roster spot. Ditto for Perry

Fluffy will be set free next year

Bossman641
08-19-2014, 09:28 PM
If Sherrod plays poorly this week I'll be concerned. I do not expect to be concerned.

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2014, 02:03 PM
The wagons are circling around Sherrod:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/derek-sherrod-seen-as-part-of-solution-b99333231z1-271951151.html

It's possible that it was just a mental thing, Sherrod adjusting to the speed of the game. Maybe you can't really simulate a speedy edge rusher in practice very well.

Joemailman
08-20-2014, 04:37 PM
The wagons are circling around Sherrod:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/derek-sherrod-seen-as-part-of-solution-b99333231z1-271951151.html

It's possible that it was just a mental thing, Sherrod adjusting to the speed of the game. Maybe you can't really simulate a speedy edge rusher in practice very well.

One thing that happens in practice is you keep lining up against the same few guys day after day. After a while you start to pick up on their tendencies.

Joemailman
08-23-2014, 06:17 AM
The sky did not fall last night.

mission
08-23-2014, 07:44 AM
Sherrod looked awesome last night. I focused on him just about every play with the 2s and 3s last night. Got to the second level and even showed a mean streak a couple times finishing his block after the whistle. Thought he hustled a lot, ran to help up ball carriers and seemed engaged.

Pugger
08-23-2014, 07:58 AM
Sherrod looked awesome last night. I focused on him just about every play with the 2s and 3s last night. Got to the second level and even showed a mean streak a couple times finishing his block after the whistle. Thought he hustled a lot, ran to help up ball carriers and seemed engaged.

I noticed that too. I'm gonna chalk up last week as just a bad game for him (and he didn't suck the entire night against the Rams either).

Bretsky
08-23-2014, 08:08 AM
I noticed that too. I'm gonna chalk up last week as just a bad game for him (and he didn't suck the entire night against the Rams either).

Fluffy handled the backups well last night. I'm not sure I'm going to chalk up last week as a off game or this week as a good one. He's making the team either way and he gave us hope we have a capable backup last night.

smuggler
08-23-2014, 08:51 AM
Sherrodhouse > Newhouse

pbmax
08-23-2014, 08:52 AM
Sherrodhouse = Its a house made not of brick, but perhaps sandstone. Time and water will tell.

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Fluffy handled the backups well last night.

nattering nabob of negativism

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Sherrodhouse = Its a house made not of brick, but perhaps sandstone. Time and water will tell.

When House makes a big play in then secondary, I think that the Commodore's song "Brick House" should be played at Lambeau.
All my cultural references are from 1975.

[Chorus:]
She's a brick house
Mighty might just lettin' it all hang out
She's a brick house
The lady's stacked and that's a fact,
ain't holding nothing back.

She's a brick house
She's the one, the only one,
who's built like a amazon [pronounced am-a-ka-zawn]
We're together everybody knows,
and here's how the story goes.

She knows she got everything
a woman needs to get a man, yeah.
How can she lose with what she use
36-24-36, what a winning hand!

[Chorus]

The clothes she wears, the sexy ways,
make an old man wish for younger days
She knows she's built and knows how to please
Sure enough to knock a man to his knees

[Chorus]

Shake it down, shake it down now (repeat)

Cheesehead Craig
08-23-2014, 06:28 PM
The last game was definitely a cause of great hope for him.

bobblehead
08-23-2014, 07:50 PM
He is progressing. I have been consistent in my evaluation. If he learns to anchor and punch the bull rushers we have a legit NFL LT.

Bahk committed the one sin I didn't think happened to him in this last game. Someone BLEW right around him, barely touched.

At this moment we still don't have the answer at LT on the roster, but with a small amount of help, quick hitting routes and a solid running game this offense will still be elite. Personally I liked the idea of Bulaga at LT better than any other option, but coaches went another way. This team will still go exactly as far as Capers takes us with his newly retooled defense.

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2014, 10:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uybtn6ebG0I

Freak Out
09-04-2014, 10:36 PM
LOL. Dude is horrible.

Iron Mike
09-04-2014, 10:39 PM
He sucks eminently less than Brad Jones, though....

King Friday
09-04-2014, 10:40 PM
You can't be an NFL LT and have an inability to handle speed rushers.

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2014, 12:58 AM
I'm not listening to any "he'll get better" talk. He's not new to the offensive tackle position. He is not athletic enough to play in NFL, I won't believe it is technique.

That said, he's only the 4th best OT on the team. I expect there is a shortage of talent at offensive tackle, every team probably has similarly crappy backups on their roster. Think how difficult it must be for a big man to keep up with those speed rushers.

Pugger
09-05-2014, 01:34 AM
You can't be an NFL LT and have an inability to handle speed rushers.

Was Clifton wonderful in his first game against a D like that?

pbmax
09-05-2014, 01:38 AM
The fan club expects marked improvement from Week 1 to Week 2. If he isn't replaced by the ghost of Bruce Wilkerson on Tuesday.

Pugger
09-05-2014, 01:40 AM
This season is a lost cause so it really doesn't matter if Sherrod plays or not.

RashanGary
09-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Usually things aren't as good or bad as they seem, but In the case of Sherrod, I think he's every bit as bad as he seems. It's all he's ever been, bad, horrible, not serviceable. UGH!!!! Painful to watch that dud!!

RashanGary
09-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Newhouse >>> Derelict Shitrod

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2014, 10:48 AM

It doesn't take an all-pro to make Sherry look bad. Michael Sam ran by him too.

Zool
09-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Don Barclay, wherefore art though Don Barclay?

pittstang5
09-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Let's just hope Bulaga isn't out long.

I saw more from the kid they have on the Practice Squad, Vujnovich, then I did from Sherrod. Bring him up

Freak Out
09-05-2014, 01:54 PM
Not a bad call Pitt. Sherry looks bad against mediocre bad guys let alone studs....get him the fuck out of there! Sherry shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Cliffy.

Bossman641
09-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Bulaga - torn MCL

Teamcheez1
09-05-2014, 03:51 PM
What did the Packer's do to help Sherrod in that game? He is coming in cold to play against an outstanding defensive line from the SB champions.

I didn't see a RB or TE on that side to help chip the end.
They didn't seem to roll coverage to his side to help.
The play-calling didn't look like it was adjusted much.

I'm not making excuses for poor play, but just about any backup tackle in the league would have struggled in that situation.

esoxx
09-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Bulaga - torn MCL

Whew, that's a relief. I remember Marco Rivera played with a torn MCL one season.

May not even need surgery.

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2014, 04:39 PM
could mean anything, all we know for sure is Bulaga has a knee

MadScientist
09-05-2014, 04:54 PM
What did the Packer's do to help Sherrod in that game? He is coming in cold to play against an outstanding defensive line from the SB champions.

I'm not making excuses for poor play, but just about any backup tackle in the league would have struggled in that situation.

Sherrod had since the Rams game to work on dealing with speed rushers. Ever since Sam outed his weakness. He failed to fix his problems and the Packers paid for it. Scheming would have helped, but the Packers never seem to make in-game adjustments for when a player goes out with an injury. If he hadn't made the exact same mistakes in preseason, I might be more inclined to say it was from being cold and going against a stud. But with repeated failures, it looks more like he can't mentally or physically adjust.

could mean anything, all we know for sure is Bulaga has a knee

That's the problem. He needs two knees to play.

Bretsky
09-05-2014, 06:10 PM
LOL. Dude is horrible.

been sayinnnnnnnnnnnnnn

pbmax
09-05-2014, 09:37 PM
been sayinnnnnnnnnnnnnn

He is as horrible as Bulaga was in his first trip to that environment.

The Packers did help him in the second half by putting the TE on his side.

Patler
09-05-2014, 10:14 PM

Ya, Clifton was, pretty much. That was the year of the failed experiment having Wahle at LT. He was awful. By game #4, Clifton the rookie was coming in and playing a lot, and by game #7 he was the starter. His pass protection was solid from the start.

I have been willing to give Sherrod the benefit of the doubt, but his grace period is running out. Yes, he and the other rookies were shortchanged in 2011 by having no off season, and yes, his broken leg kept him on the sidelines for two more off seasons. On the other hand, he had a month of training camp as a rookie (much of it at guard) and 16 weeks of practice and games as a rookie before breaking his leg. He had another 8 weeks of practice last year during the season, and some game exposure. He had a full off season this year.

Time to become a player. Unfortunately, he doesn't look any different than he did as a rookie.

pbmax
09-05-2014, 10:31 PM
Time to become a player. Unfortunately, he doesn't look any different than he did as a rookie.

That is the disappointing part. He looks like he has recovered to his rookie form and that is it. Maybe slightly less. He did not seem to have trouble getting into his sets with a kick step as a rook. Now he never looks settled. Its like Gary Brown is out there trying to decide where to setup shop.

Bretsky
09-05-2014, 11:11 PM
He is as horrible as Bulaga was in his first trip to that environment.

The Packers did help him in the second half by putting the TE on his side.

heck I don't even remember when bulaga played there the first time. fluffy is junk though; he just played how I figured he would

once bulaga left the running game seemed to go into the shitter as well cause he's a solid run blocker

when healthy I think bb would be our second best ol

pbmax
09-06-2014, 09:00 AM
heck I don't even remember when bulaga played there the first time. fluffy is junk though; he just played how I figured he would

once bulaga left the running game seemed to go into the shitter as well cause he's a solid run blocker

when healthy I think bb would be our second best ol

No question he is better than Sherrod at this point. Just hoping the Seattle game isn't all he has.

Pugger
09-06-2014, 01:14 PM

This was my biggest beef about the Sherrod situation Thursday night. They put a grass green guy out there one on one against some of the best bull rushers in the league and expected him to excel? This is what drives me crazy. Our coaches don't seem to put our players in the best positions to succeed. They try to put square pegs into round holes.

BTW, I wasn't comparing Sherrod to Cliffy - I just wondered how Cliffy would have done in that situation with as few regular season snaps under his belt.

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2014, 04:46 PM
If you ask me, and nobody did, I think Sherrod just doesn't have the feet to play. Ex-Badger Groy is on Chicago's practice squad. I expect he could do better, he's moves very well. Or Jeremy Vujnovich from the Packer practice squad.

I think Sherrod looks worse than Newhouse and it is time to cut losses.

Obviously I know close to nothing compared to the Packer decision makers. But could some pride be involved in a reluctance to cut a former first round pick?

Patler
09-06-2014, 06:46 PM
This was my biggest beef about the Sherrod situation Thursday night. They put a grass green guy out there one on one against some of the best bull rushers in the league and expected him to excel? This is what drives me crazy. Our coaches don't seem to put our players in the best positions to succeed. They try to put square pegs into round holes.

BTW, I wasn't comparing Sherrod to Cliffy - I just wondered how Cliffy would have done in that situation with as few regular season snaps under his belt.

You do remember that Sherrod played almost his entire rookie season, don't you? They even tried to give him the starting job by having him alternate series with Newhouse one game late in the season, and afterward they said Newhouse would continue as the starter.

Sherrod isn't a green as grass rookie. He has more experience than you give him credit for. After practicing half of last season, having a full off season and playing more snaps than any other lineman in preseason, I can't even give him a lot of leeway for rust anymore.

pbmax
09-06-2014, 06:47 PM

The TE spent a lot of time to Sherrod's side in the second half. Perhaps not before the safety though. McCarthy doesn't like to do it until forced.

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2014, 06:51 PM
The TE spent a lot of time to Sherrod's side in the second half. Perhaps not before the safety though. McCarthy doesn't like to do it until forced.

poor Sherrod, even his daddy is jumpin ship

pbmax
09-06-2014, 07:30 PM
poor Sherrod, even his daddy is jumpin ship

4 pressures, 1 the coaches said was a bad protection call. Not giving up hope, but improvement has to happen faster or he isn't going to get to keep getting more reps and he absolutely needs more reps.

Putting a TE on the side can cause confusion. On one play I watched, the TE chipped the DE way inside and Sherrod moved to cover him. On the way he ran into Lang who was tangling with a guy trying to get outside. Might have been a stunt.

But having the TE make that hit made the player move faster and caused greater O disruption that the stunt alone.

Pugger
09-07-2014, 12:34 AM
You do remember that Sherrod played almost his entire rookie season, don't you? They even tried to give him the starting job by having him alternate series with Newhouse one game late in the season, and afterward they said Newhouse would continue as the starter.

Sherrod isn't a green as grass rookie. He has more experience than you give him credit for. After practicing half of last season, having a full off season and playing more snaps than any other lineman in preseason, I can't even give him a lot of leeway for rust anymore.

In Sherrod's rookie season (2011) he played in 5 games until he broke his leg. I wouldn't categorize that as playing his entire rookie season. In 2013 he played in 7 games. So in 3 seasons he has played in a total of 12 games with an entire season lost in between. If you want to nit-pick, okay, he isn't a rookie but that doesn't mean he isn't green.

Patler
09-07-2014, 01:07 AM
In Sherrod's rookie season (2011) he played in 5 games until he broke his leg. I wouldn't categorize that as playing his entire rookie season. In 2013 he played in 7 games. So in 3 seasons he has played in a total of 12 games with an entire season lost in between. If you want to nit-pick, okay, he isn't a rookie but that doesn't mean he isn't green.

Nit pick? My gosh, he had 20 weeks of practice with the Packers his rookie season. He had 8 or 9 more weeks of practice last year. That was 7 months of practices before this off season even began, and you talk as if he is a rookie. He had a full veterans off season program this year (not the hit-and-miss rookie program) and extensive playing time this preseason, more than anyone else and more than rookies typically get. He has a heck of a lot more experience now than Bakhtiari had last year, and even a lot more than Newhouse had when he was first thrown into the starting lineup.

He needs to become a player. His excuses are worn out.

Patler
09-07-2014, 01:08 AM

Sherrod was hurt in week 15. He missed two weeks of the season. How much more did he need before you would count his rookie season as a season played for the Packers?

Rookies who don't play a lot but practice all year are not expected to play like rookies the next year. It is when they are supposed to make the big jump. This should be Sherrod's year to make the jump.

Are you giving Datone Jones the same leniency this year. Do you have no expectations for him simply because he didn't play much last year? Or, do you expect him to step up his game because he has had a year with the team already?

Carolina_Packer
09-07-2014, 08:13 AM
If you ask me, and nobody did, I think Sherrod just doesn't have the feet to play. Ex-Badger Groy is on Chicago's practice squad. I expect he could do better, he's moves very well. Or Jeremy Vujnovich from the Packer practice squad.

I think Sherrod looks worse than Newhouse and it is time to cut losses.

Obviously I know close to nothing compared to the Packer decision makers. But could some pride be involved in a reluctance to cut a former first round pick?

I have gathered from reading some of your posts here that you were a wrestler. I come from the state of Iowa, so I know a little about that sport. When you wrestled, did you ever have a match where you were up against a faster, superior athlete, and you lost your good technique because you panicked?

I am curious to see if Sherrod's issues are technique-based. We know he has not played meaningful snaps in a long time. Just because his leg is now healed well enough to be playing again, doesn't mean there is not a good bit of rust to shake off. Time to see how he responds, and whether he gets better with his technique and how that translates to his performance. The next test will be a challenge as well. The Jets have some monsters on the D-line.

Since the Packers are in a spot (again) with depth being challenged, here's hoping that Sherrod's issues are mental (correctable technique for him to process pre-snap) and not physical (having lost it physically because of the injury).

Pugger
09-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Sherrod was hurt in week 15. He missed two weeks of the season. How much more did he need before you would count his rookie season as a season played for the Packers?

Rookies who don't play a lot but practice all year are not expected to play like rookies the next year. It is when they are supposed to make the big jump. This should be Sherrod's year to make the jump.

Are you giving Datone Jones the same leniency this year. Do you have no expectations for him simply because he didn't play much last year? Or, do you expect him to step up his game because he has had a year with the team already?

Sherrod wasn't starting in previous seasons so he probably was in for FGs and extra points. I wouldn't think that would be the same as facing bull rushers in a hostile stadium where you can't hear yourself think. I'm not giving Sherrod a pass but I can see why he performed like he did and I'm not ready to toss him to the curb like so many here are. As you said this is the year when he should make a big jump. One game does not a season make.

I gave D. Jones a pass last year because most D linemen take a couple of seasons before they really shine. He had a bad wheel last year too. He had a couple of good moments Thursday night and I hope it is the sign of things to come but he had some poor moments too. He too is a work in progress and should continue to get better as his second season unfolds.

pbmax
09-07-2014, 11:21 AM

We've been through the rookie year before. Its does not mean as much now that he has had a full offseason program but his rookie year was marked by two very odd factors.

1. No offseason program. If Datone Jones had no offseason program his rookie year and just camp and a few games, I would expect him to be behind other typical second year players.

2. Camp was shortened by the lockout. Then he started out splitting reps with Lang at Guard. So of that truncated camp, he only spent the last week or two full time at tackle. By then McCarthy has switched to his regular season practice schedule and dialed back the number of practices. During the regular season he is on the scout team running other teams plays and a minimum of padded, live work.

So even without the injury, he wasn't going to be a typical second year player, that much is simply obvious. The problem is that now, still in his second year, if we count by number of practices (and with one full offseason), he has not progressed. The more distressing thing is that in some ways, he may have regressed.

Patler
09-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Sherrod wasn't starting in previous seasons so he probably was in for FGs and extra points.

Sherrod played more than just extra points and filed goals in 2011. According to McGinn's year end grade report. Sherrod played 112 snaps on offense in 2011, just under the equivalent of two games worth, including a series in the first half and the entire second half against Oakland when MM put the LT position on a platter and tried to give it to Sherrod. The week after Oakland, MM said the LT job belonged to Newhouse.

Sherrod had a few earlier stints at RT in 2011, and against KC the week after Oakland he came in at RT when Bulaga was hurt (sound familiar :(). That was when he broke is leg.

Even though Newhouse had not played a single snap in 2010, at no time during 2011 was Sherrod able to get the starting job away from him; not even late in the season when they gave him an entire half+ to show that he might be a better option than Newhouse..

Patler
09-07-2014, 12:53 PM
We've been through the rookie year before. Its does not mean as much now that he has had a full offseason program but his rookie year was marked by two very odd factors.

1. No offseason program. If Datone Jones had no offseason program his rookie year and just camp and a few games, I would expect him to be behind other typical second year players.

2. Camp was shortened by the lockout. Then he started out splitting reps with Lang at Guard. So of that truncated camp, he only spent the last week or two full time at tackle. By then McCarthy has switched to his regular season practice schedule and dialed back the number of practices. During the regular season he is on the scout team running other teams plays and a minimum of padded, live work.

So even without the injury, he wasn't going to be a typical second year player, that much is simply obvious. The problem is that now, still in his second year, if we count by number of practices (and with one full offseason), he has not progressed. The more distressing thing is that in some ways, he may have regressed.

Much too much is made about his missed off season as a rookie. Quite a few rookies miss most of the off season stuff because the schools are still in session and they are not allowed to participate but for a couple days under league rules. Others miss because of injuries. No one argues that it wastes their entire rookie season just because they were nonparticipants in May and June (everyone is gone in July anyway). The fact is, the rookies don't get a lot of work before TC, some yes, but not a lot. Didn't the league allow a rookie orientation of sorts in 2011? I know they talked about it, but I don't remember for sure or not if it happened.

Training camp was not shortened significantly in 2011. They opened camp on 7/30, had a week of practices before family night, 4 weeks of practices and 4 preseason games, then a week before the regular season. How much TC did they miss, a day or two? They probably made it up with fewer off days (although I don't know that they did).

Yes, Sherrod missed what ever rookie off-season he would have had, but he basically had a full training camp, 4 preseason games and 15 weeks of practices as a rookie; and he wasn't very good at the end of those 20 weeks. He still isn't now after a half season last year and everything this year so far.

Harlan Huckleby
09-07-2014, 01:53 PM
you lost your good technique because you panicked?

Sherrod has the yips! It's a WI epidemic.

What you suggest is possible, but keep in mind that Sherry got yippy against St. Louis's 2nd string and practice squad.

I have two more Al Bundy-like wrestling stories that I've already worn out. I beat Tim Krumrie in wrestling in high school. When I was a heavyweight in college, the athletic director was Otto Graham, and he tried to get me to play football.

Since then, I've been pretty occupied at the shoe store.

Joemailman
09-07-2014, 03:51 PM
McGinn seems to think that Sherrod is slower post-injury than he was before. If that's the case, it's doubtful he can be a reliable tackle. He's stronger than he used to be. His best shot might be at Guard.

pbmax
09-07-2014, 04:51 PM
Much too much is made about his missed off season as a rookie. Quite a few rookies miss most of the off season stuff because the schools are still in session and they are not allowed to participate but for a couple days under league rules. Others miss because of injuries. No one argues that it wastes their entire rookie season just because they were nonparticipants in May and June (everyone is gone in July anyway). The fact is, the rookies don't get a lot of work before TC, some yes, but not a lot. Didn't the league allow a rookie orientation of sorts in 2011? I know they talked about it, but I don't remember for sure or not if it happened.

#1 picks tend to get a lot of reps.

But the point is not just his truncated rookie season. He also then missed his sophomore offseason, camp and most of the year. Then in Year 3 he had ANOTHER surgery and missed the offseason work again. So in Year 3 of his Pro calendar, even by your reckoning on his first year, he had a rookie years worth of work and another limited offseason.

Year 4 opens with his first full offseason. And he entered it with less than 2 seasons worth of work (my point).

But we are past that now. He doesn't look better. He might be worse. If its physical and he can no longer move like he did (if that surgeon botched his leg that bad) he is probably done. All this time I have been rooting for this first round talent to move into the starting lineup to increase the available talent on the line and let Barclay or Bach be a backup. Right now, he doesn't look qualified to be the backup.

Bretsky
09-07-2014, 07:30 PM
#1 picks tend to get a lot of reps.

But the point is not just his truncated rookie season. He also then missed his sophomore offseason, camp and most of the year. Then in Year 3 he had ANOTHER surgery and missed the offseason work again. So in Year 3 of his Pro calendar, even by your reckoning on his first year, he had a rookie years worth of work and another limited offseason.

Year 4 opens with his first full offseason. And he entered it with less than 2 seasons worth of work (my point).

But we are past that now. He doesn't look better. He might be worse. If its physical and he can no longer move like he did (if that surgeon botched his leg that bad) he is probably done. All this time I have been rooting for this first round talent to move into the starting lineup to increase the available talent on the line and let Barclay or Bach be a backup. Right now, he doesn't look qualified to be the backup.

Can't we all jus agree.........he sucks

red
09-07-2014, 07:38 PM
If you ask me, and nobody did, I think Sherrod just doesn't have the feet to play. Obviously I know close to nothing compared to the Packer decision makers.

thats my take on him as well. he doesn't have the feet or speed to handle the speed/edge rushers. he looks just fine against mauler types, but it seems like he can be beat every time by the speed guys.

unfortunately, theres a lot of speed rushers in the NFL right now

and i don't know lineman, but i'm not thinking that is something that can just be "fixed"

maybe he should be a guard?

pbmax
09-07-2014, 07:45 PM
thats my take on him as well. he doesn't have the feet or speed to handle the speed/edge rushers. he looks just fine against mauler types, but it seems like he can be beat every time by the speed guys.

unfortunately, theres a lot of speed rushers in the NFL right now

and i don't know lineman, but i'm not thinking that is something that can just be "fixed"

maybe he should be a guard?

??

His worst two plays in the preseason were getting run over by bull rushers and that just about happened in his rookie season. His feet and arm/hands (reach not punch) were his strength. In two road games (Rams and Seahawks) it looks like his feet or speed have left him.

He can still lock a guy up if he gets him in anything but a bull rush, but the problem now is that he isn't getting to them.

When he went into the games his rookie year, he had a couple of wary snaps where he lost his guy on his first step. But he adjusted and looked solid.

He has not adjusted on the road yet.

Patler
09-07-2014, 09:52 PM
McGinn's assessment of Sherrod after his rookie season:

"He needs a ton of technique work along with greater urgency in his approach. He's still a long way away. Grade: F."

ThunderDan
09-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Sherrod didn't play enough his rookie year to get an F. He should have gotten an Incomplete.

pbmax
09-07-2014, 10:01 PM
McGinn's assessment of Sherrod after his rookie season:

That seems overly harsh. I didn't see F play from him even in the rookie year. But I did not watch him in practice.

Patler
09-07-2014, 10:06 PM
Sherrod didn't play enough his rookie year to get an F. He should have gotten an Incomplete.

He played roughly two games worth of snaps.
I've never understood the point of McGinn giving as many incompletes as he does. Sure, if a guy ir injured, or plays behind an established veteran. But if he isn't good enough to play and contribute, especially when he is a first or second round pick and plays a position that has needs, that tells a lot and justifies a grade, in my opinion.

Patler
09-07-2014, 10:09 PM
That seems overly harsh. I didn't see F play from him even in the rookie year. But I did not watch him in practice.

I don't know, it seems to me that a guy who couldn't outplay Newhouse probable earned the "F".

pbmax
09-08-2014, 09:09 AM
I don't know, it seems to me that a guy who couldn't outplay Newhouse probable earned the "F".

I have always wondered about that. He was clearly a better pass blocker on the right side than Newhouse and neither was a lights out run blocker. That would have been during his snaps after injuries struck others.

His practices must not have been good. However, I don't remember most of his end of game snaps at Left Tackle he got during the competition with Newhouse. Those might have looked worse.

Patler
09-08-2014, 09:41 AM
However, I don't remember most of his end of game snaps at Left Tackle he got during the competition with Newhouse. Those might have looked worse.

I remember completely falling of the Sherrod bandwagon (if I was ever on it) when he split time at LT with Newhouse against Oakland. I didn't remember the details, other than he had played a lot, until a reread an article now. He played the entire second half and a series in the first half. Newhouse had been struggling and inconsistent, it was almost the end of the season, and I hoped the physically big 1st round draft choice would show he had the talent to be given the chance. MM and Newhouse both said the two tackles had split time in practice for several weeks, and both knew that a "competition" was coming in a game. Both knew (or expected) it would be against Oakland. When all was said and done, MM basically said the next week that the competition was over, and they would stick with Newhouse the rest of the year.

That was why I have been surprised when some have recalled Sherrod being better at the end of the season. He was given a golden opportunity and couldn't take advantage. So, he improved but was still worse than Newhouse???????

pbmax
09-08-2014, 09:44 AM
I just don't remember that game. I remember him with the two injury fill-ins in the middle of the season. And his time at KC. Don't remember the Oakland stint. I thought he looked very good versus KC and that might be what I was going off of.

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2014, 09:00 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2014/09/08/packers-work-out-van-dyk/15315211/

Sherrod replacement?

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2014, 02:51 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2014/09/09/sherrod-moves-shaky-start-vs-seahawks/15362145/

"I think Derek probably had his best training camp to date, and we just need him to play like that," veteran left guard Josh Sitton said. "He was playing well in training camp, and honestly I think he played well (against the Seahawks), with the exception of a couple of plays. They just happened to be plays that everybody's talking about it. He's just got to continue to get better and build that confidence. If he can build that confidence, he'll be fine.

"For him, it's mental. He's missed a lot of football over the last couple of years. I don't know exactly what he's got to do to get that confidence back, but it starts on the practice field. If he can get that confidence, he'll be fine."

pbmax
09-11-2014, 06:48 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2014/09/09/sherrod-moves-shaky-start-vs-seahawks/15362145/

"I think Derek probably had his best training camp to date, and we just need him to play like that," veteran left guard Josh Sitton said. "He was playing well in training camp, and honestly I think he played well (against the Seahawks), with the exception of a couple of plays. They just happened to be plays that everybody's talking about it. He's just got to continue to get better and build that confidence. If he can build that confidence, he'll be fine.

"For him, it's mental. He's missed a lot of football over the last couple of years. I don't know exactly what he's got to do to get that confidence back, but it starts on the practice field. If he can get that confidence, he'll be fine."

Being on the road isn't helping him. Being at home will give him an edge.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Sherrod struggled at times in the preseason his rookie year, but showed promise. He had one awful game and one solid game in the regular season.

It must have been the game against Atlanta where he played well.

http://allgbp.com/2012/02/12/derek-sherrod-2011-green-bay-packers-evaluation-and-report-card/

His season highlight was probably the week 5 game against Atlanta. With Bryan Bulaga out with an injury and Chad Clifton leaving after 15 plays with a hamstring injury, Sherrod slotted in at right tackle with Newhouse moving to the left side. Despite minimal experience at right tackle, Sherrod found his bearings and played reasonably well. He allowed no sacks or QB hits and garnered positive reviews from his coaches after the game. His lowlight, of course, was the Kansas City game.

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2014, 06:20 AM
Sounds like Packers are going to risk Bulaga's season rather than risk putting Sherrod on the field, even for a single game at home.

I don't agree with that decision, but it suggests the coaches see Sherrod as a lost cause.

pbmax
09-12-2014, 08:01 AM
Sherrod struggled at times in the preseason his rookie year, but showed promise. He had one awful game and one solid game in the regular season.

It must have been the game against Atlanta where he played well.

http://allgbp.com/2012/02/12/derek-sherrod-2011-green-bay-packers-evaluation-and-report-card/

That is pretty much how I remember his rookie year. The first, awful game I barely remember, but had convinced myself that like the Rams preseason game relier this year, it started out bad and got better.

Lang is saying he expects Bulaga to be available and that he did more Thursday than Wednesday. But I doubt its decided yet.

Bretsky
09-12-2014, 07:30 PM
I remember a whole lot of awful mixed in with a few occasionally good plays
So any bad play is not a surprise here