PDA

View Full Version : Raji's Season Might Be In Trouble

pbmax
08-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 34m
#Packers DT BJ Raji has tests today on his upper arm he injured last night. He was optimistic last night. But not a lot of optimism now.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 25m
#Packers DT BJ Raji, playing on a one-year deal, had drawn rave reviews in camp back at his natural NT position. Now it's all in doubt.

Rapoport, I have guessed earlier, seems tied into David Dunn (Rodgers, Matthews, Raji's agent). And I think that explains his good information about all three contracts for these guys and his correct call on rebuilding the D line.

If someone was to know before M3 knows, its probably Rap Sheet.

pbmax
08-23-2014, 10:18 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m
The belief is that #Packers NT BJ Raji tore his bicep last night, sources say. Tests will show whether it's fully or partially torn.

red
08-23-2014, 10:19 AM
no big loss IMO, it was dumb to even re sign him

time to give pick or jolly a call

vince
08-23-2014, 10:22 AM

I think Raji was poised to have a good year at NT but I agree with this... We'll see if Boyd's ready for primetime pretty quick.

pbmax
08-23-2014, 10:26 AM
Not sure Jolly can play nose, and penetration is not Pick's game.

Really need Guion to get healthy if possible. He, Boyd and Pennel could probably do it.

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2014, 10:28 AM
This would be a tough loss, IMHO. Raji has looked very good this preseason. The move back to NT was working.

Patler
08-23-2014, 11:08 AM
I thought Raji has looked inconsistent.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-23-2014, 11:15 AM
This would suck. I hope its only a partial tear. Could put him on the pup and he'd be ready to go week 7 on. Starting D has been playing great minus a couple bad plays. Raji has looked a lot better at NT so far.

Patler
08-23-2014, 11:24 AM
This would suck. I hope its only a partial tear. Could put him on the pup and he'd be ready to go week 7 on. Starting D has been playing great minus a couple bad plays. Raji has looked a lot better at NT so far.

Can't be PUP. They would have to keep him on the initial 53, and then put him on IR designated for retirn.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-23-2014, 11:26 AM
If he is done for the year, thats 3 guys so far before even week 1. Doesn't seem like this "new technology" is working. Still probably have just as much injuries as any team this preseason if not more. The nfl should allow the packers to have a 63 man roster.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-23-2014, 11:27 AM
Can't be PUP. They would have to keep him on the initial 53, and then put him on IR designated for retirn.

Yeah thats right if you start practicing you can't be put on the pup. What if they cut him before week 1, do they get that 4 mil back?

smuggler
08-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Injury settlement would probably be at least $2mil. Could short term IR him, as others have said. It would mean risking probably Carl Bradford to waivers for a week.

Freak Out
08-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Shit.

Pugger
08-23-2014, 12:21 PM
no big loss IMO, it was dumb to even re sign him

Pick is too slow and I don't know if Jolly has been cleared to play yet. Can BJ play with a partial tear?

pbmax
08-23-2014, 12:27 PM
Well, we have confirmed RapSheet's report. It is a torn bicep, but no details on how torn or how long.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 16m
Just confirmed Raji tore his biceps from a league source. Fear is it's season-ending.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 22m
Not that you should ever doubt @RapSheet, but source says #Packers are indeed afraid Raji tore his bicep. Worried last night. Carry on.

wist43
08-23-2014, 12:30 PM
I know you guys are down on Raji, but losing him hurts a lot...

Assuming dunderdummy was going to use him properly... who ya gonna stick at nose now?? Not the traditional 2-gap NT, but rather a slanting, penetrating NT to go with the undersized DE's dunderdummy is using.

Losing Raji hurts a lot... no telling how dunderdummy will screw it up now ;)

pbmax
08-23-2014, 12:34 PM
Ryan Wood ‏@ByRyanWood 14m
If it is torn bicep for B.J. Raji, what kind of tear will be crucial. Recovery from partial tear typically 3-6 weeks. Full tear 4-6 months.

Teamcheez1
08-23-2014, 12:45 PM
Wow. Nobody around here wanted to sign Raji for even the vet minimum this year, and now he's an irreplaceable part of the defense?

Go figure.

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2014, 12:48 PM
I liked the resigning, and I think he's played very well back at NT this preseason. I think it would be a big loss. You'd be looking at Pennel and nobody to spell him until Guion returned. Ugh!

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2014, 12:49 PM
NT is Raji's position. I think it is a big loss, at least Raji had potential to return to form at NT.

pittstang5
08-23-2014, 01:06 PM
I have no doubt its a full tear. That's just how this team roles. As much as Raji has pissed me off, there is no depth behind him. Pennel has looked good, but he's a rookie. Guoin can't get on the field.

My biggest concern has been the d-line this TC. Depth is gonna be tested. Not good, imo. Not good.

smuggler
08-23-2014, 01:10 PM
Wow. Nobody around here wanted to sign Raji for even the vet minimum this year, and now he's an irreplaceable part of the defense?

Go figure.

Untrue. Myself and others wanted him back on the cheap.

pbmax
08-23-2014, 01:37 PM
And he is done.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 6m
The results are in and they are not good. #Packers NT BJ Raji is out for the season with a torn bicep, source says. This was the fear

Carolina_Packer
08-23-2014, 02:06 PM
So, what do you think they will do to address the roster spot? Do you think they'll go with the depth they have at DL or perhaps look to the last roster cut-down to add to depth? Eliot Wolf, time to earn your money! Find Ted a good fit, please.

pbmax
08-23-2014, 02:32 PM
GBPG's WesHod has confirmed out for season.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 4m
Still, wouldn't expect a ton of panic out of Packers. Use nickel a ton. They have Boyd/Guion/Pennel, and liked Guion a lot.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 5m
Here's what Ryan Pickett said right before training camp about wanting to play, and in GB ... http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/free-agent-ryan-pickett-waiting-for-a-call-b99303242z1-265637431.html …

run pMc
08-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Wow, not good to lose your starting NT.
This likely means Pennel makes the roster, and Guion too. I'd think they will try to play Guion quite a bit in the last preseason game. I think going with Boyd/Pennel as your duo at NT week 1 vs. Seattle is risky, especially with what they have at ILB.

I think they will kick the tires on Pickett and wouldn't be against bringing him back on the cheap if Guion's hurt/no good. Pickett gives them size and some run stopping but zero pass rush. Not sure about scouts bringing some new face in unless it's a surprise veteran cut who might still have something in the tank. I don't see it happening.

pbmax
08-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 56m
Research with @RobDemovsky this week revealed #Packers played Okie in 25.2 percent of their total snaps last season. Nickel is the new base

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 6m
Source tells @TomSilverstein that Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly are not in the #Packers plans, in light of Raji's season-ending injury.

texaspackerbacker
08-23-2014, 03:57 PM
It sure looked likeRaji was getting pushed around and run right past in this preseason at NT, the same as he did last year wherever he played. This is the ultimate addition by subtraction. The Packers D will be BETTER without Raji. And don't even think about bringing in Pickett! Also, I really don't think we need Guion - assuming he's just another big clod.

Boyd and Pennel have both played a lot better than Raji. Going with them at NT in addition to plenty of the no NT packages will make the Packers better - a lot better as a result of this injury.

Now what about Brad Jones? Somebody said he had a knee injury. Could we have even more addition by subtraction?

Bossman641
08-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Well this sucks, I'd argue nose tackle had the least depth on the team

red
08-23-2014, 05:27 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 56m
Research with @RobDemovsky this week revealed #Packers played Okie in 25.2 percent of their total snaps last season. Nickel is the new base

isn't there someone on this site that makes this same argument?

Rutnstrut
08-23-2014, 06:27 PM
No major loss.

bobblehead
08-23-2014, 07:54 PM
Boyd and Pennel have both played a lot better than Raji. Going with them at NT in addition to plenty of the no NT packages will make the Packers better - a lot better as a result of this injury.

I will pose the same question I asked Harlan last week. Exactly what games are you watching?

texaspackerbacker
08-23-2014, 09:56 PM
I will pose the same question I asked Harlan last week. Exactly what games are you watching?

Back at you - I'll ask you the same. Instead of getting push, Raji got pushed - and it ain't a thing of the past. The snaps he got just last night he got pushed around/pushed back/and run right past. And when Boyd and Pennel were at NT, the same stuff didn't happen.

MARK MY WORDS! Save this post to rub it in if I'm proven wrong. the Packers D will be MUCH better off without Raji in there - assuming they don't pull some shit like bringing back Pickett. I've been campaigning for this the whole off-season - long before they made it obvious they were going that direction - to go to a smaller more mobile better tackling D Line. Raji was the last remnant of the old shit.

Patler
08-23-2014, 10:51 PM
I would not have been upset if he had signed with a different team, so I'm not overly concerned that he is out for the year. only difference is that they now have little time and fewer options fpr working in a replacement

esoxx
08-23-2014, 11:15 PM
Blessing in disguise.

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2014, 11:25 PM
isn't there someone on this site that makes this same argument?

I don't think anybody's argued against the fact that the 2-4-5 is really our base defense. It's just that some don't have a problem with it--especially in today's NFL. Also, the Packers aren't the only team like this. Indianapolis, Philadelphia, and San Diego also play the 2-4-5 as their base defense. San Fran will likely play a 2-4-5 Big Nickel (where the extra DB is S Jimmie Ward and not a corner). Many teams 3-4 teams play a lot of 2-4-5.

Joemailman
08-23-2014, 11:31 PM
The Packers won the Super Bowl with the 2-4-5 as their base defense. This is not something new.

King Friday
08-24-2014, 07:29 AM
This really is only an impact due to depth IMO. Raji just does not have the desire to be a consistent performer. He is certainly replaceable...the timing is what really hurts the Packers.

texaspackerbacker
08-24-2014, 09:17 AM
The old Okie 5-2 and the 3-4 are essentially the same. The major difference is whether or not your outside guys are in two-point - standing up or down in 3 or 4 point stances. Coaches always used to teach linemen/pass rushers to get down in the 3 or 4 point. I think the evolution of the way they call (or don't call) holding as well as cut blocks has made the down way less advantageous, and the two point makes sprinting around the corner easier. The 2-4-5 is basically a 4-2-5 with stand up pass rushers.

Not to turn this into another pro or con thread about Capers, but I much prefer all the creative pass rushing and run blitzes over the old plain vanilla way.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2014, 10:44 AM
Defensive line is very hard for the fans to evaluate, especially when they are playing the 3-4. It is funny to me that so many people are sure that Raji is not much better than the guys on the bench, that TT gave Raji a big contract out of stupidity. TT only gives vets a contract when he thinks they are special.

Rutnstrut
08-24-2014, 12:14 PM
Defensive line is very hard for the fans to evaluate, especially when they are playing the 3-4. It is funny to me that so many people are sure that Raji is not much better than the guys on the bench, that TT gave Raji a big contract out of stupidity. TT only gives vets a contract when he thinks they are special.

Or when he doesn't want to give up on one of his pets.

Patler
08-24-2014, 01:05 PM
It is funny to me that so many people are sure that Raji is not much better than the guys on the bench, that TT gave Raji a big contract out of stupidity. TT only gives vets a contract when he thinks they are special.

What big contract? One year at $4 million max, but with only a $500,000 signing bonus and nothing else guaranteed? That wasn't much of a commitment by the Packers.

pbmax
08-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Or when he doesn't want to give up on one of his pets.

Mind reading is a terrible analytical tool.

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2014, 01:39 PM
$4M isn't chump change. It's not like he got near vet minimum (Kuhn) or $4M for 2 years (Starks)

wist43
08-24-2014, 01:39 PM
I don't think anybody's argued against the fact that the 2-4-5 is really our base defense. It's just that some don't have a problem with it--especially in today's NFL. Also, the Packers aren't the only team like this. Indianapolis, Philadelphia, and San Diego also play the 2-4-5 as their base defense. San Fran will likely play a 2-4-5 Big Nickel (where the extra DB is S Jimmie Ward and not a corner). Many teams 3-4 teams play a lot of 2-4-5.

The Packers won the Super Bowl with the 2-4-5 as their base defense. This is not something new.

And they don't have much of a beef with finishing 31st in defense, or 25th in defense, or being humiliated in the playoffs - so much so, that everyone anoited Kapnerfucker a HOF'er.

They began running it more than I was comfortable with in our SB year - we got away with it b/c we had vastly superior talent on that side of the ball, and teams didn't have 4 consecutive years of tape to pick it apart.

We lost Jenkins, Collins, Woodson, Bishop; Pickett got older, they changed Raji's role, they ran less and less real base, etc... add it up, and we simply haven't had the players to run it - on the contrary, the players TT brought in were much better suited to running a 3-3.

Hence, Capers is putting 3-3 square pegs into 2-4 round holes - the results have been dismal, and obviously so.

Now this year, they dumped Pickett and Jolly, and said they were going to go to a penetrating 3-4 instead of the traditional run-stuffing, 2-gapping 3-4 of your grandfather...

Fine, okay... there's more than 1 way to skin a cat - but, if they don't manage snap counts, and get a set rotation that maximized players strengths, then we'll be right back here next year arguing about how to fix the mess that is, and has been, our defense.

Patler
08-24-2014, 01:51 PM
$4M isn't chump change. It's not like he got near vet minimum (Kuhn) or $4M for 2 years (Starks)

I think the key is the guarantee, only $500K. If he had come into camp and looked no better than last year, he might not have made the roster. They gave Starks a larger signing bonus than they gave Raji, $725K. Heck, they gave Quarless a $350K signing bonus.

The Packers committed very little to Raji.

George Cumby
08-24-2014, 03:47 PM
I think the key is the guarantee, only $500K. If he had come into camp and looked no better than last year, he might not have made the roster. They gave Starks a larger signing bonus than they gave Raji, $725K. Heck, they gave Quarless a $350K signing bonus.

The Packers committed very little to Raji.

And apparently were wise in doing so.

Too bad for him and the Pack.

Patler
08-24-2014, 04:00 PM
And apparently were wise in doing so.

Too bad for him and the Pack.

He will still get his salary, $3.1M because it was a football related injury during camp. Same situation as Cletidus Hunt a few years back. But they will save his weekly active roster bonus that totaled $300K. It will be interesting to see if he had a two tier salary like Cedrick Benson had, where his salary decreased when he went on IR.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2014, 04:07 PM
I suspect Raji is a lot better than the backups, based on his distant past glories. He was out-of-position at end.

This is based on wishful thinking on my part. But sometimes wishes come true, Timmy.

3irty1
08-25-2014, 10:56 AM
I disagree that Raji's injury isn't a big deal on the basis that we mostly play in the 2-4 anyways. When Dom first started using the 2-4 as an any-situation defense we'd just come off a 2009 campaign where we were the best rushing defense in the NFL by scoring and by yards but only the 28th in scoring pass defense. Among our best DL were Pickett and Jolly, both steady run stuffers plus a brand new Raji with a bright looking future. It was an unbalanced roster, much better at stopping the run than stopping the pass so the 2-4 was a way to achieve balance by putting your run stuffing personnel in a formation meant for pass defense. It was a good idea at the time and yielded phenomenal results.

As Woodson and Pickett aged, Jolly wore orange, and Raji's development stalled out it stopped being a good idea. Now its an impossible idea. Even with Raji we didn't have the beef to keep the beefy 2-4 viable this season. We now have the opposite kind of unbalanced roster that appears to have a strength in rushing the passer in guys like Daniels, Jones, Neal and Peppers. Applying the same philosophy as we did in 2010 we should be using our pass-rushing roster in run stopping formations to achieve balance. Those situations that called or a beefy 2-4 are now best filled by a lean 3-4... so we may miss our starting NT more than we thought.

call_me_ishmael
08-25-2014, 11:59 AM
I disagree that Raji's injury isn't a big deal on the basis that we mostly play in the 2-4 anyways. When Dom first started using the 2-4 as an any-situation defense we'd just come off a 2009 campaign where we were the best rushing defense in the NFL by scoring and by yards but only the 28th in scoring pass defense. Among our best DL were Pickett and Jolly, both steady run stuffers plus a brand new Raji with a bright looking future. It was an unbalanced roster, much better at stopping the run than stopping the pass so the 2-4 was a way to achieve balance by putting your run stuffing personnel in a formation meant for pass defense. It was a good idea at the time and yielded phenomenal results.

As Woodson and Pickett aged, Jolly wore orange, and Raji's development stalled out it stopped being a good idea. Now its an impossible idea. Even with Raji we didn't have the beef to keep the beefy 2-4 viable this season. We now have the opposite kind of unbalanced roster that appears to have a strength in rushing the passer in guys like Daniels, Jones, Neal and Peppers. Applying the same philosophy as we did in 2010 we should be using our pass-rushing roster in run stopping formations to achieve balance. Those situations that called or a beefy 2-4 are now best filled by a lean 3-4... so we may miss our starting NT more than we thought.

Agreed. It's a pretty goofy DL to begin with. Lots of unknowns. I have a sinking feeling that it will be a disaster. I just don't see anything out of Datone Jones. I don't think Mike Daniels is suited to play end. I do like the idea of a 6'3" or 6'4" NT a lot. Hopefully what's-his-face can play well. I think they will keep 7 here because of so many unknowns. Let's hope it's not equivalent to the 2013 safety position.

pbmax
08-25-2014, 12:32 PM
I place the confusion on the conundrum of pass coverage of three wides, or an athletic TE who will be split out.

The Steelers would stay base in many nickel situations versus 3 x 1 personnel because the base 3 D line could pressure and get home (including Hampton). At least one, if not two, OLBs could get home. Plus one of those OLBs and the safeties played good coverage.

For the Packers, especially absent Collins and Wood, the 2-4 is about coverage options and match ups. The pass rush, even with those guys, was still middle of the road, especially 4 on 5. You could blitz Wood to good effect. Whether by attrition or film, this became far less effective over time. Coverage by safeties got worse and pressure by the D line declined.

The new D line is longer and leaner even with Daniels starting. Daniels showed something last year and Jones has looked effective in getting pressure in this preseason.

If they can become the pass rushers their predecessors did not, then you could see more base and more D lineman (which you would hope would be better for run D). Capers might trust his coverage with base to hold IF he is generating pressure with the front 5. If not, its still going to be nickel to matchup and an unknown for run D.

But I think Capers has shown that for him 2-4 is about coverage, not pressure. Its going to take a marked difference in pressure to alter that plan.

3irty1
08-25-2014, 03:05 PM
I place the confusion on the conundrum of pass coverage of three wides, or an athletic TE who will be split out.

The Steelers would stay base in many nickel situations versus 3 x 1 personnel because the base 3 D line could pressure and get home (including Hampton). At least one, if not two, OLBs could get home. Plus one of those OLBs and the safeties played good coverage.

For the Packers, especially absent Collins and Wood, the 2-4 is about coverage options and match ups. The pass rush, even with those guys, was still middle of the road, especially 4 on 5. You could blitz Wood to good effect. Whether by attrition or film, this became far less effective over time. Coverage by safeties got worse and pressure by the D line declined.

The new D line is longer and leaner even with Daniels starting. Daniels showed something last year and Jones has looked effective in getting pressure in this preseason.

If they can become the pass rushers their predecessors did not, then you could see more base and more D lineman (which you would hope would be better for run D). Capers might trust his coverage with base to hold IF he is generating pressure with the front 5. If not, its still going to be nickel to matchup and an unknown for run D.

But I think Capers has shown that for him 2-4 is about coverage, not pressure. Its going to take a marked difference in pressure to alter that plan.

The Steelers choices to me are more about defensive playcalling philosophy. Do you try to mirror whatever the offense is doing to minimize poor matchups or play the down and distance? It would seem to me the Steelers prefer the latter playing the situation rather than the offense which is why they play much more base and also much more dime than we do.

I think the beefy 2-4 wasn't about a pressure:coverage tradeoff but rather gap assignments. It was leveraging the fact that our best two defensive lineman were able two-gappers and our nickel corner could tackle like a linebacker allowing us to account for all the gaps while also giving better coverage options with Woodson in the slot.

Of course we'll still see nickel and dime in traditional nickel and dime situations but we don't have the beefy 2-gappers to keep a hat on a hat against those balanced offensive formations anymore while in nickel. Well, we could but it would mean giving snaps to Boyd, Guion, and Pennel over Daniels, Jones, Peppers, and Neal. Despite all his nicknames on this forum Capers is pretty good at getting his best guys in the place to be successful (see Woodson, Charles and Taylor, Jason). My guess is that instead of having a 2-gapping 3-4, a 2-gapping 2-4, and a 1-gapping 2-4 we'll have a 2-gapping 3-4, a 1-gapping 3-4, and a 1-gapping 2-4. Our OLB might not be the best coverage guys but at least their diversity should make zone blitzing and disguises easier than before. A safety shell you can trust would certainly go a long way.

Freak Out
08-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Is there a snowballs chance in hell of TT working a trade for a DT/DL? Obviously with cut downs coming is there anyone we should target for the DL? Really worried about the loss of Raji....

Pugger
08-25-2014, 04:03 PM
Is there a snowballs chance in hell of TT working a trade for a DT/DL? Obviously with cut downs coming is there anyone we should target for the DL? Really worried about the loss of Raji....

I'm hoping Boyd, Pennell and Guion can overcome the loss of Raji.

Joemailman
08-25-2014, 04:19 PM
http://fansided.com/2014/08/25/green-bay-packers-lining-replacements-b-j-raji/#!bJ5qEw

The Green Bay Packers won’t be able to replace the production that B.J. Raji brings at nose tackle, after having lost Raji for the season thanks to a torn bicep injury, but they’ll have to find someone who comes close. Fortunately, it appears the team has plenty of options.

The first name on the list of players with a shot to take Raji’s spot on the roster is Josh Boyd, a jack-of-all-trades lineman who came to the team in the offseason from the Raiders.

Didn't TT draft that guy?

Freak Out
08-25-2014, 04:26 PM
http://fansided.com/2014/08/25/green-bay-packers-lining-replacements-b-j-raji/#!bJ5qEw

Didn't TT draft that guy?

5th round pick last year. Do these wankers research at all?

Harlan Huckleby
08-25-2014, 06:17 PM
I'm hoping Boyd, Pennell and Guion can overcome the loss of Raji.

No, they won't overcome the loss of Raji. Those guys aren't as good as Raji, so the defense has been weakened. Platoons never replace a superior player, IMO.

But of course Raji wasn't going to play every down anyway, and he did have a down year in 2013.

Bill Scott said today that he thought Raji looked better in camp this summer than he's shown his whole pro career, both in terms of play and conditioning. Maybe the lack of free agency interest, plus the move to full time nose guard, lit a fire. Or maybe he would have another year like 2013. We'll never know.

I'm bummed by Raji not getting another shot this season, I had high hopes for some reason. But this is what it is to be a packer fan, this shit happens constantly.

Pugger
08-26-2014, 08:09 AM
No, they won't overcome the loss of Raji. Those guys aren't as good as Raji, so the defense has been weakened. Platoons never replace a superior player, IMO.

But of course Raji wasn't going to play every down anyway, and he did have a down year in 2013.

Bill Scott said today that he thought Raji looked better in camp this summer than he's shown his whole pro career, both in terms of play and conditioning. Maybe the lack of free agency interest, plus the move to full time nose guard, lit a fire. Or maybe he would have another year like 2013. We'll never know.

I'm bummed by Raji not getting another shot this season, I had high hopes for some reason. But this is what it is to be a packer fan, this shit happens constantly.

But perhaps those 3 can soften the blow of losing Raji collectively. We all better hope so. :???:

Bossman641
08-26-2014, 12:36 PM
I can't help but wonder what will become of Raji moving forward. From what I've read you don't always recover power with a torn biceps. He'll be 29 before next season starts, coming off injury and an awful year before that. If Boyd/Pennel show improvement, you'd imagine the Packers would move forwards with them.

Talk about playing your cards wrong in turning down that 5 year/40M deal or whatever exactly it was.

For all the celebrating over his injury, I'm really worried about the middle of the line now. I think Raji was poised for a big year. Pennel has looked good so far, but there's a reason it takes DL 2-3 years to reach their potential.

smuggler
08-26-2014, 02:53 PM
Yes Packers drafted Boyd. Author confused either Packers with Bears and Boyd wih Houston or Raiders with Vikings and Boyd with Guion.

MadScientist
08-26-2014, 03:25 PM
I can't help but wonder what will become of Raji moving forward. From what I've read you don't always recover power with a torn biceps. He'll be 29 before next season starts, coming off injury and an awful year before that. If Boyd/Pennel show improvement, you'd imagine the Packers would move forwards with them.

His best hope is a vet minimum with some performance bonuses. I can't see anyone offering him much more.

Pugger
08-26-2014, 04:59 PM

Talk about playing your cards wrong in turning down that 5 year/40M deal or whatever exactly it was.

For all the celebrating over his injury, I'm really worried about the middle of the line now. I think Raji was poised for a big year. Pennel has looked good so far, but there's a reason it takes DL 2-3 years to reach their potential.

I wonder if we'll give him a similar contract he just signed with us again next season. He wasn't in high demand and now he's coming off an injury so I doubt he'll be in demand in 2015 either.

Patler
08-26-2014, 07:31 PM
I wonder if we'll give him a similar contract he just signed with us again next season. He wasn't in high demand and now he's coming off an injury so I doubt he'll be in demand in 2015 either.

I will be surprised if he gets that much.

run pMc
08-27-2014, 09:49 AM
I will be surprised if he gets that much.

Yeah, there's no way anyone signs him for $4M/yr. Also, my guess is Raji doesn't sign a one year deal either. My guess is 2y/$4M with another $1M in incentives (assuming he checks out physically). Until this injury he was playing full seasons and camp reports indicated he was looking as good as ever back at NT. Whether TT brings him back depends on how the D plays without him, and especially if Boyd/Pennel/Guion can take over.

It's a blow to the DL but not so bad they can't recover. They will need Raji's replacements to stay healthy, which might be asking a lot.

woodbuck27
08-28-2014, 08:23 PM
NT is Raji's position. I think it is a big loss, at least Raji had potential to return to form at NT.

This is 'a TRUE STATEMENT'.