PDA

View Full Version : Tretter Out "Multiple Weeks"

Striker
08-24-2014, 02:19 PM
Green Bay --- Running highlights from Mike McCarthy's Sunday news conference...

On injuries... Brad Jones had a quad; B.J. Raji had significant bicep injury; JC Tretter had a significant knee injury and will be out multiple weeks. ...Once the one's got out of the game, knee started bothering him. Bothered him at halftime.

On if Tretter is surgical... Talking to staff, more testing ahead. Don't have all the answers left.

On the plan at center... Way you deal with injuries will never change. Injuries are a personal issue. Feel bad for the individual. Seeing him on crutches, think of him coming in back in February. ...Hard part about it, what individual has to go through. This is the way the NFL is. Injuries part of our game. Unfortunate. Will not stop us.

On if temorary IR a possibility... JC not enough information; B.J. would say no.

Well, I hope his estimate on Tretter is a lot more accurate than his initial guess on Raji.

pbmax
08-24-2014, 02:22 PM
Good grief. And he was looking very good.

Joemailman
08-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Yikes. So Linsley will be starting. I wonder if this now gets Garth Gerhart on the roster, or if T.J. Lang would be the backup Center.

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Brutal

smuggler
08-24-2014, 02:33 PM
Not good. The injuries to Abbrederis and Barclay sucked but those to Raji and Tretter seem as if they might prompt personnel decisions that result in cutting good players to keep lesser players at positions of need...

denverYooper
08-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Significant is always bad in McCarthyspeak.

Tony Oday
08-24-2014, 02:57 PM
Significant? Son of in GB speak that means they amputated.

Joemailman
08-24-2014, 03:10 PM
Significant is always bad in McCarthyspeak.

Yep. Might not be season-ending, but probably surgery. I think we have have found our IR-Designated For Return candidate.

Striker
08-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Yep. Might not be season-ending, but probably surgery. I think we have have found our IR-Designated For Return candidate.

I hope you're right. I hope Linsley pans out so they don't have to play musical chairs with the line.

Rutnstrut
08-24-2014, 03:35 PM
I really like Linsley, but didn't want to see him starting this way.

George Cumby
08-24-2014, 03:45 PM
Fer' crying out loud.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Another Packer season is under way.

Joemailman
08-24-2014, 03:55 PM
MM said he thinks Tretter hurt the knee on the first series. He went on to play the whole 1st half. Are players told to report injuries? Are players expected to play through an injury in a meaningless preseason game? Just wondering.

Patler
08-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Poor kid just can't get his career started.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2014, 04:09 PM
Pro football kinda sucks. The CONSTANT orthopedic surgery stories get old.

smuggler
08-24-2014, 04:15 PM
Welp. Gonna lose week one now.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2014, 04:18 PM
Poor kid just can't get his career started.

Let me tell you a story about another kid who couldn't get his career started. A boy named Mikey, little Mikey Flanagan.

red
08-24-2014, 04:30 PM
now thats a problem

pittstang5
08-24-2014, 04:50 PM
Frustrated already and we haven't played a real game yet.

I just don't get it. Injuries happen, but nowadays a Packer gets hurt - it's significant or season ending. We can't catch a break.

red
08-24-2014, 04:56 PM
Frustrated already and we haven't played a real game yet.

I just don't get it. Injuries happen, but nowadays a Packer gets hurt - it's significant or season ending. We can't catch a break.

yeah, and some still think its just bad luck

Rutnstrut
08-24-2014, 05:04 PM
At least the injury excuse will be there again.

gbgary
08-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Raji injury didn't bother me as much as this one. COME ON FOOTBALL GODS!

Striker
08-24-2014, 05:35 PM
Green Bay --- Starting center JC Tretter will be out "multiple weeks" to a knee injury, but the injury is not believed to be long term.

The agent for Tretter, Alan Herman, indicated Sunday that this is "nothing surgical" and there is no ligament damage.

"I don't know what they're calling it yet," Herman said, "but it seems to be some type of bone bruise. ... I don't think it's anything that'll be an extended period of time."

Tretter sustained the injury early in Green Bay's 31-21 exhibition win over the Oakland Raiders on Friday night. Team physician Dr. Patrick McKenzie checked out Tretter's left knee between series in the first quarter, but he continued to play on.

The second-year pro out of Cornell completed his entire playing time -- 45 snaps -- before the pain truly began to set in.

"Once the ones went out of the game, and once he settled down, that’s when it started bothering him," McCarthy said. "It was bothering him at halftime, then when I got back in here after the game they ended up putting him on crutches.

"When I see J.C. Tretter on crutches, I think of him walking in here to work every single day since February and seeing what he’s put into it. B.J. Raji, he was in the best shape and having the best camp of his career. Don Barlcay, standing right next to J.C. every single day since February. So that’s the hard part about it, what the individual has to go through. This is not an issue for the whole team. This is the way the NFL is. Injuries are part of the game, it’s unfortunate."

Rookie Corey Linsley will take over as the starting center with Tretter out.

While Tretter has shown an ability to steer the Packers' no-huddle attack and get to the second level in the run game, Linsley has impressed coaches with toughness and personality.

"He’s going to do a heck of a job," McCarthy said of Linsley. "He’s obviously a rookie. I like his makeup. It’s just, he needs the reps. He’s just a pro each and every day, and he’ll be ready once we step on the field for Kansas City."

With Tretter, Herman has not heard exactly how long the recovery will take, saying it "could be three, four, five, six (weeks)." It depends how the Packers doctors treat the injury. But he repeated, it's "nothing significant."

So, that's...good?

Joemailman
08-24-2014, 05:40 PM
So, that's...good?

3-6 would be about the best we could hope for. Linsley might be stronger than Tretter, but Tretter has better mobility. Packers have been working on screens a lot. I hope that doesn't change with Linsley in there.

Pugger
08-24-2014, 06:16 PM
Welp. Gonna lose week one now.

We better pray Rodgers doesn't get killed.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-24-2014, 06:18 PM
I love how every injury that occurs is long term and is to a valuable player who almost surely would make the 53 man roster. Looks like another annoying year.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-24-2014, 06:23 PM
So, that's...good?

If its 3-6 weeks...then its 6-9 weeks for us. No one ever comes back ahead of schedule or right on schedule. I remember when they reported Hayward would be out a "few weeks."

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2014, 07:13 PM
No surgery. No torn ligaments. No huge damage to Packer season.

Cheesehead Craig
08-24-2014, 07:41 PM
So long as it's not a hammy

channtheman
08-24-2014, 10:47 PM
So what the report is saying is that this is season ending?

sharpe1027
08-25-2014, 12:23 AM
yeah, and some still think its just bad luck

I blame the training staff. Not because I have any clue what they could have done, but it is their job to prevent injuries. Therefore, they are to blame. I would also blame firefighters for a house burning down due to an electric fire. Afterall, fire prevention is part of their job.

Bossman641
08-25-2014, 07:18 AM
JS headline from last Tuesday - "Packers Avoid Injury Bug"

:x:bang:

Patler
08-25-2014, 08:19 AM
JS headline from last Tuesday - "Packers Avoid Injury Bug"

:x:bang:

Ya. Was just going to point that out. Coupled with last years article about the Packers being in good shape at QB if Rodgers were to go down, which appeared only a day or two before he did go down, I think we know where the hex is coming from!

pittstang5
08-25-2014, 09:09 AM
Trade Tolzien or Flynn to Rams for Scott Wells. Problem Solved - :-)

Guiness
08-25-2014, 09:13 AM

lol!

Patler
08-25-2014, 10:09 AM

I'm sure it will never happen, but it isn't all that far-fetched either. There was talk in the off-season that Wells would be cut for three reasons, salary cap savings, the fact that his replacement last year actually graded out better than Wells did, and they still have Barrett Jones on the bench. On second thought, maybe we can trade Flynn or Tolzien for Jones!

KYPack
08-25-2014, 01:18 PM
Yikes. So Linsley will be starting. I wonder if this now gets Garth Gerhart on the roster, or if T.J. Lang would be the backup Center.

I was thinking of this, too.

Anybody watch Garth Gerhart in Pre at all?

What I recall of Lang's turn at C was several fugly snaps.

Guiness
08-25-2014, 01:45 PM

The question is, was Lang bad because he's out of position and not accustomed, or not suited? We'll see if he gets more snaps there while they try and bring along a guard, which they might consider simpler. You want a guy who knows the offense making the line calls...

Harlan Huckleby
08-25-2014, 01:49 PM
Will be interesting to see how Packers get through the game on thursday. On the one hand, you usually rest the starters. But Linsley could use the reps. Do you put a starting guard out there to get reps at center?

Patler
08-25-2014, 02:45 PM

McGinn in an article today said that Gerhart isn't good enough to keep even with Tretter out..

Tony Oday
08-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Have Rodgers Snap to himself? :)

KYPack
08-25-2014, 03:21 PM
McGinn in an article today said that Gerhart isn't good enough to keep even with Tretter out..

THX, P.

I did my "Scott Wells" homework.

The Rams already slashed his contract in June. He only gets a mil for '14.

That's only a little over the vet minny.

St Lou will keep him for that.

Patler
08-25-2014, 03:33 PM
THX, P.

I did my "Scott Wells" homework.

The Rams already slashed his contract in June. He only gets a mil for '14.

That's only a little over the vet minny.

St Lou will keep him for that.

I forgot that they reduced Wells salary. They still might be heavy at the position, as it appears they have at least 3. It will be interesting to see who starts. Last spring one of the local guys made a strong case for the guy who replaced Wells, who they said graded out better.