PDA

View Full Version : an idea for improving ILB

red
08-24-2014, 04:54 PM
the bears once took a former safety and turned him into one of the best ILB's of all time

i give you Sean Richardson

tall, athletic, physical, and a guy who has starting potential but plays at a position where he won't be starting.

now, before anyone blows a nut. he's only about 20 pounds lighter then brad jones

thoughts? could he add some weight and make the move?

Rutnstrut
08-24-2014, 05:09 PM
Sounds good to me, of course I would take anyone over Jones.

Joemailman
08-24-2014, 05:26 PM
I would rather they draft guys who played ILB or MLB in college instead of moving guys from other positions.

pittstang5
08-24-2014, 06:21 PM
I would rather they draft guys who played ILB or MLB in college instead of moving guys from other positions.

I agree

However, when they drafted Bradford, I instantly thought he'd be an ILB. He still might be since hes shown nothing at OLB.

Sorry Red, I don't like making Richardson into a ILB. I'm in the minority, but I'd rather him (Richardson) start over Burnett at Safety.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-24-2014, 06:26 PM
I was actually excited about that Joe Thomas guy. Of course he's injured now..thats usually how it works on this team. Maybe when Brett comes back next July he can address the team on how to avoid getting injured and how sometimes its okay to be a man and play with a little pain....Which reminds me good for you Tramon Williams.

texaspackerbacker
08-24-2014, 07:29 PM
I like the idea of Richardson at ILB. I doubt it will ever happen, but who knows.

No way Richardson should be a starting Safety. The much maligned Burnett is what we need - somebody who can cover. Richardson gets style points for hard hits, but that's not what wins games. His coverage skills might be passable, though, as an ILB.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2014, 07:40 PM
he's only about 20 pounds lighter then brad jones

20 pounds for a couch potato ain't much, as you know. For athletes with 8% body fat, it's a different position group

smuggler
08-25-2014, 07:47 AM
Bears currently have a LB named Telvin Smith from Florida State who is more lean than Richardson. It's the way the league is trending.

I doubt it will ever happen, but the instincts a SS needs and those an ILB need probably aren't too far off from one another.

3irty1
08-25-2014, 10:04 AM
I'd bet moving Richardson wouldn't be an overnight move but something they'd ease into like an old man into a hot bath.

In the past they've blurred all those lines. Chillar has played safety in certain looks, Woodson has played linebacker at times, once in a while we've seen a 4-4 split type formation with a safety at the Sam linebacker position. I could definitely see Richardson making it onto the field in those kinds of roles and eventually stealing snaps from our ILB in passing situations even without bulking up. If he outperforms our guys its easy enough to bring him in next year at 230 and expand his roles even more.

KYPack
08-25-2014, 11:17 AM
I can't see him as an ILB in base. They are doing something like that in the sub packages. He's gotten pretty good at coming down from a lurk position in the specials. if he continues to progress in that role, I'm happy

Joemailman
08-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Carl Bradford got his first look at ILB today. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/272618671.html

red
08-25-2014, 06:56 PM
Bout fricken time. Should have been there day one imo

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2014, 07:15 PM
Richardson is unbelievably athletic for someone his size. Wish he had better instincts. My prediction is that an injury gives him playing time and he impresses.

Brandon494
08-26-2014, 06:09 AM
LMAO...I needed that laugh this morning.

BTW Urlacher played MLB in a cover 2...not ILB in a 3-4.

Pugger
08-26-2014, 08:02 AM
Bout fricken time. Should have been there day one imo

GMTA :???:

Fritz
08-26-2014, 10:46 AM
Carl Bradford got his first look at ILB today. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/272618671.html

Carl Bradford: This year's Rickey Elmore.

pbmax
08-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Carl Bradford: This year's Rickey Elmore.

You know how Ted says he has people in the draft room that you sometimes just have to take guys who play football well and not worry so much about measurables?

Maybe he should stop listening.

smuggler
08-26-2014, 01:09 PM
You have to just get lucky... finding a balance between the two leaves you with a roster full of average players.