PDA

View Full Version : Why so much coverage on Michael Sam?

channtheman
08-29-2014, 12:59 AM
Maybe this topic doesn't belong in the Packers forum and if that is the case, please move it to the correct forum. But I have to ask, why does ESPN and every other sports station have so much coverage of Michael Sam and whether he makes the team or not? You don't see these kinds of segments for every (or even ANY) other rookie hoping to make the team.

If homosexual people want to be treated the same as others then why do we treat them so differently? As it stands, Sam may just make the St. Louis Rams team just because he is gay. The Rams could never cut the guy even if he sucked because the backlash would be so great. Which is really the main point of this topic... if being gay isn't a big deal, than why do we make it such a big deal?

Harlan Huckleby
08-29-2014, 01:06 AM
It's a story because he is the first openly gay NFL player. Being gay isn't a big deal, but being a gay player is.

I think if you look at newspapers back in the 1940s, Jackie Robinson was a huge story during his rookie year.

When Aaron Rodgers comes out as the second gay player, the coverage will die-out quicker. Well maybe not A-ROD, but some other player won't be too big of a deal.

smuggler
08-29-2014, 01:27 AM
Jackie Robinson won an MVP award in his career and deserved it. Sam is a little different.

Harlan Huckleby
08-29-2014, 02:40 AM
Jackie Robinson won an MVP award in his career and deserved it. Sam is a little different.

It's not a question of deserving the coverage. Jackie Robinson and Michael Sam would get a lot of coverage even if they stunk as players. Their presence was new and controversial.

wist43
08-29-2014, 08:07 AM
Leftists fancy themselves "enlightened", and since they control our society now, they delight in rubbing everyones face in the perversions they celebrate - and if you don't like it?? you are a bigot; if you don't celebrate it?? you are "intolerant" and in need of "reeducation"...

Ever listen to Mike and Mike in the Morning?? ESPN radio's Mike Golic and Mike Greenberg... their entire show has nothing whatsoever to do with sports anymore, it is nonstop celebration of political correctness in sports. All they talk about is Sam, the Ray Rice incident, the horrors of marijuana, etc. The entire show is an exercise in self congratulation of how enlightened they are, and anyone who disagrees is the equivalent of a Jew in Nazi Germany.

They're unlistenable now... same thing with other sports talk shows. If I want to be lectured by some leftist nuts, I'll go back to college.

Zool
08-29-2014, 08:11 AM
Maybe this topic doesn't belong in the Packers forum and if that is the case, please move it to the correct forum. But I have to ask, why does ESPN and every other sports station have so much coverage of Michael Sam and whether he makes the team or not? You don't see these kinds of segments for every (or even ANY) other rookie hoping to make the team.

If homosexual people want to be treated the same as others then why do we treat them so differently? As it stands, Sam may just make the St. Louis Rams team just because he is gay. The Rams could never cut the guy even if he sucked because the backlash would be so great. Which is really the main point of this topic... if being gay isn't a big deal, than why do we make it such a big deal?

Because people are fucking stupid. See Harlan's post.

woodbuck27
08-29-2014, 08:16 AM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2180040-why-michael-sam-has-earned-his-place-on-the-rams-53-man-roster

Why Michael Sam Has Earned His Place on the Rams' 53-Man Roster

By: Tyson Langland , NFC West Lead Writer Aug 28, 2014

Over the course of the last three preseason games, Sam has tallied some impressive numbers. Since the start of the 2014 preseason, the left defensive end has amassed 11 total tackles, three quarterback sacks and two quarterback hits.

3irty1
08-29-2014, 08:31 AM
Just imagine what would happen if he sacked Johnny Manziel... ESPN is probably already built an 8 hour tribute montage ready to go instead of their normal programming. Twitter would fail whale for a week.

QBME
08-29-2014, 09:11 AM
Ever listen to Mike and Mike in the Morning?? ESPN radio's Mike Golic and Mike Greenberg... their entire show has nothing whatsoever to do with sports anymore, it is nonstop celebration of political correctness in sports. All they talk about is Sam, the Ray Rice incident, the horrors of marijuana, etc. The entire show is an exercise in self congratulation of how enlightened they are, and anyone who disagrees is the equivalent of a Jew in Nazi Germany.

They're unlistenable now...

++1

denverYooper
08-29-2014, 09:26 AM
Why create a thread about Michael Sam in a Packers forum?

denverYooper
08-29-2014, 09:30 AM
Just imagine what would happen if he sacked Johnny Manziel... ESPN is probably already built an 8 hour tribute montage ready to go instead of their normal programming. Twitter would fail whale for a week.

This happened already. Twice in one game, actually. And Sam taunted JFBM.

ThunderDan
08-29-2014, 10:02 AM

Yes, because the government is going to round you up and kill you in gas chambers.

Keep this shit in FYI.

wist43
08-29-2014, 10:39 AM
Yes, because the government is going to round you up and kill you in gas chambers.

Keep this shit in FYI.

You've been living in Madison too long Dan... you lefty nuts actually believe your own bullshit.

George Cumby
08-29-2014, 10:46 AM
Wist, I don't get the Jew in Nazi Germany bit. Don't you mean "anyone who disagrees is a Nazi"? Or am I being obtuse? (A real possibility).

At any rate, this thread is going downhill fast.

Zool
08-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Wist cannot separate himself from himself.

George Cumby
08-29-2014, 10:55 AM
The answer to the original question comes down to a storyline which generates interest and therefore clicks and viewership which generate revenue.

The NFL is a soap opera for men. Think about all the time spent discussing and deconstructing the Ingognito flap lat year. How much money was made by espn and NFLN telling and rebelling that story. And the consumers ate it up.

The NFL wants these story lines, it's good business. We want these story lines, generally, it's entertainment.

Personally, though, I don't care who Sam likes to be intimate with and I watch none of such coverage. I do want Manziel to succeed because I want a good villain to root against. It's entertainment.

smuggler
08-29-2014, 10:57 AM
I agree to a point. PC is not about freedom of thought, it's about conformity.

pbmax
08-29-2014, 11:08 AM

We survived.

http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/eao08x.gif

3irty1
08-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Incredible! I must have been in the right place at the right time not to know that!

pbmax
08-29-2014, 11:16 AM
They're unlistenable now... same thing with other sports talk shows. If I want to be lectured by some leftist nuts, I'll go back to college.

It must be depressing when capitalism fails you. They are the highest rated national morning sports show in the country. Apparently, there are significant numbers of people who disagree with your assessment.

They also aren't all that left either. As was said above, they are interested in generating numbers and like Tebow, Sam moves the needle. Its ESPN doing what ESPN has been doing for years. They aren't the home of Mel Kiper, Dick Vitale and never-ending reruns of Jim Valvano for nothing. They are a money making machine.

This logic also explains Joe Buck and every color commentator on American TV.

pbmax
08-29-2014, 11:17 AM
Incredible! I must have been in the right place at the right time not to know that!

Please try to recall where. I want to be there if the Cubs ever win the World Series.

3irty1
08-29-2014, 11:18 AM
Please try to recall where. I want to be there if the Cubs ever win the World Series.

Well Hell is out of the question as it will be frozen over.

Harlan Huckleby
08-29-2014, 11:23 AM

Speaking of gay, why does Buck start his broadcasts with "I'm Joe and this is Troy"

Disturbing. I don't care what people do in their bedrooms, but keep it out of my face.

wist43
08-29-2014, 11:32 AM
Wist, I don't get the Jew in Nazi Germany bit. Don't you mean "anyone who disagrees is a Nazi"? Or am I being obtuse? (A real possibility).

At any rate, this thread is going downhill fast.

If you don't go along with PC, or you voice an opinion that isn't PC approved - you are ostracized, penalized, attacked, and it can be so vicious as to affect your livelihood. It's only going to get worse as the years tick by.

Conform or be cast out... Jews were cast out - today, conservatives are the targetted enemy of the PC police. I am not a conservative BTW, I am a libertarian... live and let live - in that regard, I am in the tiniest of minorities.

3irty1
08-29-2014, 11:37 AM
If you don't go along with PC, or you voice an opinion that isn't PC approved - you are ostracized, penalized, attacked, and it can be so vicious as to affect your livelihood. It's only going to get worse as the years tick by.

Conform or be cast out... Jews were cast out - today, conservatives are the targetted enemy of the PC police. I am not a conservative BTW, I am a libertarian... live and let live - in that regard, I am in the tiniest of minorities.

You're also in the tiniest of minorities of libertarians who disregard personal accountability enough to continually talk politics outside of FYI.

ThunderDan
08-29-2014, 11:43 AM
You're also in the tiniest of minorities of libertarians who disregard personal accountability enough to continually talk politics outside of FYI.

ZING!!!!!!

wist43
08-29-2014, 11:47 AM
It must be depressing when capitalism fails you. They are the highest rated national morning sports show in the country. Apparently, there are significant numbers of people who disagree with your assessment.

They also aren't all that left either. As was said above, they are interested in generating numbers and like Tebow, Sam moves the needle. Its ESPN doing what ESPN has been doing for years. They aren't the home of Mel Kiper, Dick Vitale and never-ending reruns of Jim Valvano for nothing. They are a money making machine.

I understand Amerikans want to listen to that crap - I don't, so I tune out. For me, it is unlistenable... I tune into sport talk radio to listen to sports talk, not liberal proselytizing.

But it is everywhere, and you can't escape it... if you object, or find it offensive?? You are subjected to the entire battery of liberal abuse, i.e. you are a bigot, intollerant, etc. Liberals are bullies, and unfortunately they are now in power and in control all of our institutions. They are no different than previous incarnations of authoritarians.

I do agree with Dan though - this kind of topic belongs in FYI. It isn't about football, it is about a societal topic - Michael Sam is of interest to some (not me, but some) b/c he's gay... it has nothing to do with football.

George Cumby
08-29-2014, 11:56 AM

Ok. I understand your argument, that to disagree with the supposed PC majority is to be an oppressed minority. I disagree with your conclusion, but now I get what your point was.

wist43
08-29-2014, 12:02 PM

I didn't start the thread, and only commented on the sad state of affairs with regard to sports talk radio - which proselytizes liberals political views. I don't want to hear that shit anymore than you want to hear what I have to say - yet I am assaulted by your leftist crap all day, every day... if I object?? well here we are... the person who objects being ostracized and attacked.

It's how you leftist bullies operate. I am the bad guy b/c what I said is not PC approved.

I'll leave you boys to it... don't get too friendly now ;)

3irty1
08-29-2014, 12:10 PM
I didn't start the thread, and only commented on the sad state of affairs with regard to sports talk radio - which proselytizes liberals political views. I don't want to hear that shit anymore than you want to hear what I have to say - yet I am assaulted by your leftist crap all day, every day... if I object?? well here we are... the person who objects being ostracized and attacked.

It's how you leftist bullies operate. I am the bad guy b/c what I said is not PC approved.

I'll leave you boys to it... don't get too friendly now ;)

Yes ESPN radio and Packerrats are part of a conspiracy to bait you into breaking forum rules to justify bullying you. Let the record show here that wist is the victim.

pbmax
08-29-2014, 12:11 PM
I think if you scratched below the surface of not trying to offend their audience, the Mike and Mike show politics (especially Golic) is far more center than left. I haven't listened in a while, but from what I remember, Golic is a classic channthemann, "why are we discussing this" kind of commentator.

channtheman
08-29-2014, 12:26 PM
Leftists fancy themselves "enlightened", and since they control our society now, they delight in rubbing everyones face in the perversions they celebrate - and if you don't like it?? you are a bigot; if you don't celebrate it?? you are "intolerant" and in need of "reeducation"...

Greeny said something incredibly stupid a day or two ago ago (yes, what does he say that isn't stupid these days). But he mentioned that since Shaw (?, the RB that quit USC) hired a lawyer and wasn't completely honest that something bad must have happened to injure his ankles. In Shaw's case, it very well could be that he was in the wrong. It could also mean that he is simply protecting himself since idiots like Mike Greenberg assume that if someone is accused of something they are automatically guilty... after all, why would they be accused if they WEREN'T guilty? This is such flawed logic, but unfortunately it is the thinking of the masses these days.

George Cumby
08-29-2014, 12:59 PM
Another thing about radio is these guys have to talk for three or four hours a day, five days a week, forty some weeks a year.

At some point they have to just start making shit up or saying outrageous shit, just to fill air space.

Fritz
08-29-2014, 01:35 PM

Wait. I think it's that they can't cut him because he sucks.

George Cumby
08-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Wait. I think it's that they can't cut him because he sucks.

:lol::lol:

bobblehead
08-29-2014, 01:50 PM

Keep this shit in FYI.

Really...someone started a political thread in the packer forum and WIST is the bad guy?

bobblehead
08-29-2014, 01:58 PM

I agree, they aren't all that leftist, they are opinionated on a variety of issues, which triggers emotions. Sam's triggers emotions, whether you want him to fail because you are sick of him getting special attention, or if you want him to succeed to begin an era where being gay is more mainstream, you have some interest in the story. He sells copy as they say, therefore the media blitz is on. Same went for Tebow (except I don't believe he was ever given the same fair shot Sam's will be given). Same went for the early black QB's. Warren Moon, Doug Williams and all. And when a Black QB went top 5 in the draft the blitz was really on.

Many of us (I consider myself in this camp, and sounds like chann as well) don't give a shit if a player is green, black, gay or whatever. Can he play. I'll be happy when the 2nd and 3rd gay player comes out because the hub bub will die off.

bobblehead
08-29-2014, 02:10 PM

Wist, the fact that you had to explain it speaks volumes. Don't even bother.

bobblehead
08-29-2014, 02:16 PM

Yea, cuz us evil righties started a political thread damn us.

You can't open this can of worms and then be pissed when worms come out. MOVE THE FUCKING THREAD, DELETE THE FUCKING THREAD OR SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!'

This is exactly what Wist is talking about. Its ok to open the topic, but heaven forbid a certain veiwpoint is expressed. We must silence the dissenter. You people are so fucking panty waste pussified that I can't actually handle it here anymore. I'm out of here. I'll join Rand and the other silenced masses.

I can't believe everyone is so fucking stupid to not realize that nearly every post in this thread is just like Wist's, but he is the only one you wish to silence....and for the record I disagree with wist quite a bit, and even in this instance, but I'm not so small minded and petty as to want to silence him. You dumb fuckers are proving his point for him.

bobblehead
08-29-2014, 02:22 PM

Keep this shit in FYI.

By the way, they will simply kill you at Ruby Ridge. There, now I'm out. Have a good season all, I'm sick of you idiots anyway.

PS...I will return when Chann gets suspended for starting a political thread in the packers forum.

MadtownPacker
08-29-2014, 02:30 PM
You sorry fucks!! This is Friday, feeling lazy and it is always easy to check the ban box than to move a thread.

What to do, what to do.

3irty1
08-29-2014, 03:13 PM
Yea, cuz us evil righties started a political thread damn us.

You can't open this can of worms and then be pissed when worms come out. MOVE THE FUCKING THREAD, DELETE THE FUCKING THREAD OR SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!'

This is exactly what Wist is talking about. Its ok to open the topic, but heaven forbid a certain veiwpoint is expressed. We must silence the dissenter. You people are so fucking panty waste pussified that I can't actually handle it here anymore. I'm out of here. I'll join Rand and the other silenced masses.

I can't believe everyone is so fucking stupid to not realize that nearly every post in this thread is just like Wist's, but he is the only one you wish to silence....and for the record I disagree with wist quite a bit, and even in this instance, but I'm not so small minded and petty as to want to silence him. You dumb fuckers are proving his point for him.

No, not every post is just like wists because there is a line that wist Carl Lewis long jumps over every time. When a post has more to do with politics than it does with football, that's the line. The existence of even having FYI was threatened recently with Red's little tantrum about this exact shit. You dumb fuckers are proving him right.

pbmax
08-29-2014, 05:12 PM
Why so much coverage? Less than one day, 42 posts.

Joemailman
08-29-2014, 05:21 PM
You sorry fucks!! This is Friday, feeling lazy and it is always easy to check the ban box than to move a thread.

What to do, what to do.

Ban anyone you suspect of being gay. I, of course, am a raging heterosexual.

denverYooper
08-29-2014, 05:51 PM

Douglas Adams would be proud

MadtownPacker
08-29-2014, 05:53 PM
Ban anyone you suspect of being gay. I, of course, am a raging heterosexual.
Bullshit, I met you and was shocked your clothes didn't start on fire.

MadtownPacker
08-29-2014, 05:58 PM
It's because all you mini-dick tricks are very interested. Only can be one reason why.

So Bobbleheadgiver quit the forum? I thought he couldn't quit us!

Cheesehead Craig
08-29-2014, 07:51 PM

False. Here's the rundown of the posts:

Chann - Starts thread, albeit in the wrong forum, but says he wasn't sure and is ok with moving it. Harmless enough.
Harlan - Gives his opinion, no politics.
Smuggler - Disagrees with Harlan. No politics.
Harlan - Reposte. No politics.
Wist - Political jab at "leftists". Rants on Mike and Mike and how they are "leftists". Political.
Zool - People are stupid. No politics
Woodbuck - Link to Sam story about making the team. No politics.
Dirty - Has thoughts of Sam and Manziel. No politics.
QBME - Agrees with Wist on M&M. Can be political, or just that he hates M&M.
Denver - Questions why thread even in Packerrats. No politics
Denver - Tells Dirty his dream of Sam on Manziel action happened. No politics.
Thunder - Snarky response to Wist about his political views and request to keep political discussion in FYI. Political post.
Wist - Snarky reposte to Thunder and calls him a leftist. Political.
George - Wants clarification on Wist's original post. Not really political as no views stated but encourages the political conversation.
Zool - Shot at Wist. Not political.
George - Gives opinion on original post. Not political.
Smuggler - Political post.
pb - Video of Sam on Manziel action. Not political
Dirty - Admission that missed the video. Not political
pb - Comment on how M&M and ESPN are money making machines. Then brings up Joe Buck. Not political.
pb - Laments about Cubs. Not political.
Dirty - Hell would freeze over. Not political.
Harlan - Expresses hatred of Joe Buck. Doesn't care about Sam's sexuality. Not political.
Wist - Clarifies post to George's earlier question. Not political.
Dirty - Slight shot and tells Wist to stop posting about politics when not in FYI. Not political.
Thunder - agrees with Dirty. Not political.
Wist - Brings up how crappy liberals are again and how they are bullies. Says thread doesn't belong here, should be in FYI. Political.
George - Acknowledges gets wist's point. Not political.
Wist - Compares himself to Jews in Nazi Germany about how he's being attacked. Takes another derogatory shot at liberals. Political.
Dirty - Shot at Wist. Tells him he's still posting politics outside of FYI. Not political.
pb - States that M&M are more centric than left, but not sure. Encourages political talk, but not really a political post.
Chann - Comments on how stupid Greeny is. Not political
George - Sympathizes with M&M and radio guys that that have to say outrageous stuff. Not political
Fritz - Gay joke. Not political.
George - Likes Fritz. Not political.
bobble - says it's not wists fault the thread was started. Not political
bobble - agrees on M&M being centrist. Just sick of the whole media circus. Not political.
bobble- Agrees with wist that conservative are the victims like the Jews in Nazi Germany. Political.
bobble - Starts whining and crying and says that people are trying to silence the dissenters. Claims every post is like wists. Then rage quits.

So we have 38 posts before your rage quit. 7 are definitely political in nature and 4 were by wist. Several are possible politics. But the vast majority have nothing to do with politics and several posters asked the politics talk to go to the proper forum.

hoosier
08-29-2014, 08:23 PM
False. Here's the rundown of the posts:

Chann - Starts thread, albeit in the wrong forum, but says he wasn't sure and is ok with moving it. Harmless enough.
Harlan - Gives his opinion, no politics.
Smuggler - Disagrees with Harlan. No politics.
Harlan - Reposte. No politics.
Wist - Political jab at "leftists". Rants on Mike and Mike and how they are "leftists". Political.
Zool - People are stupid. No politics
Woodbuck - Link to Sam story about making the team. No politics.
Dirty - Has thoughts of Sam and Manziel. No politics.
QBME - Agrees with Wist on M&M. Can be political, or just that he hates M&M.
Denver - Questions why thread even in Packerrats. No politics
Denver - Tells Dirty his dream of Sam on Manziel action happened. No politics.
Thunder - Snarky response to Wist about his political views and request to keep political discussion in FYI. Political post.
Wist - Snarky reposte to Thunder and calls him a leftist. Political.
George - Wants clarification on Wist's original post. Not really political as no views stated but encourages the political conversation.
Zool - Shot at Wist. Not political.
George - Gives opinion on original post. Not political.
Smuggler - Political post.
pb - Video of Sam on Manziel action. Not political
Dirty - Admission that missed the video. Not political
pb - Comment on how M&M and ESPN are money making machines. Then brings up Joe Buck. Not political.
pb - Laments about Cubs. Not political.
Dirty - Hell would freeze over. Not political.
Harlan - Expresses hatred of Joe Buck. Doesn't care about Sam's sexuality. Not political.
Wist - Clarifies post to George's earlier question. Not political.
Dirty - Slight shot and tells Wist to stop posting about politics when not in FYI. Not political.
Thunder - agrees with Dirty. Not political.
Wist - Brings up how crappy liberals are again and how they are bullies. Says thread doesn't belong here, should be in FYI. Political.
George - Acknowledges gets wist's point. Not political.
Wist - Compares himself to Jews in Nazi Germany about how he's being attacked. Takes another derogatory shot at liberals. Political.
Dirty - Shot at Wist. Tells him he's still posting politics outside of FYI. Not political.
pb - States that M&M are more centric than left, but not sure. Encourages political talk, but not really a political post.
Chann - Comments on how stupid Greeny is. Not political
George - Sympathizes with M&M and radio guys that that have to say outrageous stuff. Not political
Fritz - Gay joke. Not political.
George - Likes Fritz. Not political.
bobble - says it's not wists fault the thread was started. Not political
bobble - agrees on M&M being centrist. Just sick of the whole media circus. Not political.
bobble- Agrees with wist that conservative are the victims like the Jews in Nazi Germany. Political.
bobble - Starts whining and crying and says that people are trying to silence the dissenters. Claims every post is like wists. Then rage quits.

So we have 38 posts before your rage quit. 7 are definitely political in nature and 4 were by wist. Several are possible politics. But the vast majority have nothing to do with politics and several posters asked the politics talk to go to the proper forum.

How long did it take you to do that summary?

Cheesehead Craig
08-29-2014, 09:01 PM
How long did it take you to do that summary?

About as long as it took Sam to come out.

Brandon494
08-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Hmm I wonder...smh.

Harlan Huckleby
08-29-2014, 09:32 PM
There are all sorts of threads about the NFL in this forum. I get that people don't want to talk about Michael Sam, old news, skip the thread. It is actually odd that it took this long for a Michael Sam thread to get started here, it's a big change for the NFL.

This forum is run by a gay man, Madtown. Nobody seems to have a problem with that. Good. He once told me he had a bigger cock than me, which made me uncomfortable, but that is the worst thing that ever happened. If you got no problem with Madtown, why can't a few of you baboons deal with a thread about the first gay player?

pbmax
08-29-2014, 09:35 PM
There was another thread but I think that one got the boot to RR or FYI.

Harlan Huckleby
08-29-2014, 09:43 PM
but I think that one got the boot to RR or FYI.

Ridiculous. Maybe we also need a fainting room where people can retire to if they are overcome by a controversial topic.

Well, I get you don't want to start arguing about pure politics. How about Michael Vick and his dog stuff, did that get moved to a safe zone?

Joemailman
08-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Ridiculous. Maybe we also need a fainting room where people can retire to if they are overcome by a controversial topic.

Well, I get you don't want to start arguing about pure politics. How about Michael Vick and his dog stuff, did that get moved to a safe zone?

There were a bunch of Vick threads, but none of them got political because basically everyone agreed that he was a shithead for being involved in something like that. Aaron Hernandez threads didn't get political either. But a thread about how the press is covering a gay issue? What are the odds that such a thread wouldn't get political?

texaspackerbacker
08-30-2014, 03:58 AM
I got up to let the dog out, and while he was shitting in the back yard, I noticed this thread. Several thoughts/questions:

It seems like a lot of you guys have repressed political urges and should be participating in F.Y.I.

Chann, are you named for that coach with the memorable and thread-appropriate last name?

Joe, you have the supreme gall to mention Michael Vick and heaven forbid, Aaron Hernandez in a Michael Sam thread? The PC police are really gonna get you!

What ever happened to the good ol' days when we had commentators like Marv Albert?

3irty1, you asked a question over in Romper Room that nobody has answered yet. 40 something responses in less than a day - 1 day before final cutdowns, 6 days before the season starts - I think you have your answer about what the public wants to discuss.

40 something posts and only one kinda lame attempt at homo humor - the sucking thing? What's the matter with you people hahahaha? That would be something else to lasso non-lurking whatevers - or whatever you said.

I can't remember if it's this forum or a different one where somebody commented, "will they dare say, 'Sam penetrated into the backfield"? Isn't a gay guy who plays Defensive End an oxymoron?

Carolina_Packer
08-30-2014, 06:05 AM
Hi Oh! :rs:

Guiness
08-30-2014, 07:54 AM
In other news I just got invited to a lesbian wedding. What to do, what to do...just kidding, I'm going, with BELLS on! :whaa:

I'm gona start the wave when I hear "you may now kiss the bride" :wave:

Note: this message was approved by Guiness. Damn I'm so excited!

ThunderDan
08-30-2014, 10:10 AM
In other news I just got invited to a lesbian wedding. What to do, what to do...just kidding, I'm going, with BELLS on! :whaa:

Bretsky is going to be jealous.

pbmax
08-30-2014, 10:34 AM
Bretsky is going to be jealous.

He should put Bretsky down as his plus 1.

Harlan Huckleby
08-30-2014, 11:37 AM
40 something posts and only one kinda lame attempt at homo humor - the sucking thing?

I tried. I thought it funny that Joe Buck starts broadcasts with "I'm Joe, this is Troy." John Madden never said, "I'm John, this is Pat."

Never mind.

digitaldean
08-30-2014, 12:40 PM
Don't begrudge Sam anything. If he is successful, good for him. I see him as a football player, nothing more. But when ESPN has to go ad nauseum on his showering habits, it's way over the top. Even the headlines on espn.com, "Michael Sam survives cut", is too far. It's as consequential as "Jeff Janis survives Packers cutdown". The four letter network, Yahoo Sports, et al, clearly have an agenda and aren't shy about shoving it on a public that by and large is apathetic on whether he makes it or not. Doesn't matter what I think of his lifestyle choice, just sick of the social agenda the media is forcing.

woodbuck27
08-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Don't begrudge Sam anything. If he is successful, good for him. I see him as a football player, nothing more. But when ESPN has to go ad nauseum on his showering habits, it's way over the top. Even the headlines on espn.com, "Michael Sam survives cut", is too far. It's as consequential as "Jeff Janis survives Packers cutdown". The four letter network, Yahoo Sports, et al, clearly have an agenda and aren't shy about shoving it on a public that by and large is apathetic on whether he makes it or not. Doesn't matter what I think of his lifestyle choice, just sick of the social agenda the media is forcing.

I wouldn't want the heat of all that publicity.

He's 'just another NFL prospect' is how it should be treated.

'Lower profile' is the better way.

smuggler
08-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Rams cut him. End of that pony show. Sucks for him, but there are plenty of other guys who go through the same thing every year in the NFL.

Bretsky
08-30-2014, 05:11 PM

I HATE YOU !!!

Bretsky
08-30-2014, 05:12 PM

DUDE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ANY WAY YOU CAN GET MY INVITED THE LESBIANS BACHELORETTE PARTY ????????????????????

Bretsky
08-30-2014, 05:13 PM
He should put Bretsky down as his plus 1.

YES....lol

MadScientist
08-30-2014, 05:15 PM

The agenda is to generate ratings and web clicks, since Sam drew attention from outside the ranks of football fans. Showering habits goes too far, but to be fair I don't want to hear about the showering habits of any NFL player. NFL cheerleaders are a different matter, and I'd click for a video segment on their showering habits.

Rams cut him. End of that pony show. Sucks for him, but there are plenty of other guys who go through the same thing every year in the NFL.

Slightly surprised. I thought he may have done enough with his showing in the last 3 games, especially with all the attention and scrutiny that cutting will bring. Whatever, the Rams know him a lot better than we do. Good luck to him (and all the other cut players for that matter) in the rest of his life. It's a tough business where you are either one of the elite best in the world or unemployed.

Harlan Huckleby
08-30-2014, 06:04 PM
I thought Sam looked impressive in his sacks this preseason, they were not cheapies.

He will stick in NFL, me thinks. 40 time be damned, he can play.

Fritz
09-04-2014, 03:57 PM
What to do, what to do, to keep your "brand" talked about when you've got a mediocre product? How do you keep the media's attention? How do you keep your most-valuable NFL franchise crown when you keep going 8 - 8?

In Dallas, you invite the NFL's possible first-openly-gay-player in for a look-see. Then sign him to your practice squad.

And the Cowboys prove once again that Jerruh Jones is a horrible GM but a genius owner.

CaptainKickass
09-04-2014, 04:04 PM
And the Cowboys prove once again that Jerruh Jones is gay, a horrible GM but a genius owner.

Fixed!

:-)

Fritz
09-04-2014, 04:07 PM
He may be gay, but he does not seem happy.

Joemailman
09-04-2014, 04:20 PM
The Michael Sam story has created a new first: First time a team has called a press conference to announce they were signing a player to their practice squad.

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2014, 05:14 PM
The Michael Sam story has created a new first: First time a team has called a press conference to announce they were signing a player to their practice squad.

It is a story that for three days no team was willing to sign the SEC defensive player of the year to a practice squad. After the guy had 3 impressive sacks in preseason. In a league where pass rush rules. It was a relief and story that Dallas took a chance.

gbgary
09-04-2014, 05:51 PM
a comedian on twitter (forgot his name) had a great line he posted right after the news broke that he was headed to dallas for a phyisical..."i can totally see Sam as a cowboy...or an indian chief, or a police officer, or a construction worker, or a..."

i was in tears.

Bossman641
09-04-2014, 08:59 PM
ESPN has almost driven me to the point of hoping Sam fails just so I dont have to hear/read an article anytime he brushes his teeth. They've given him the complete Tebow treatment.