PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Training Camp Disappointment

Harlan Huckleby
08-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Sherrod.

Injuries don't count, they always happen. I know Sherrod his shaking off rust. I expected a starter quality guy.

Pugger
08-30-2014, 11:56 AM
I don't know if I'd say Sherrod. My vote would go to Quarless. Q hasn't really taken the TE job with authority. Hell, he might not even make the 53...

red
08-30-2014, 12:11 PM
quarless for me too, for the same reasons pugger gave

also, burnett

guy should have been playing for his roster spot. instead he does nothing, the gets hurt and misses tons of time. and insteadof winning or proving he should be starting, hne wins it by default because of the injury. i would say hyde for sure, haha and maybe richardson all looked better in preseason then burnett did last year

Teamcheez1
08-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Sherrod.

Injuries don't count, they always happen. I know Sherrod his shaking off rust. I expected a starter quality guy.

Sherrod? I think he will continue to progress if he stays healthy.

We have a lot of candidates for duds:
Jerel Worthy would be my pick (even though he's gone).
Quarless has been invisible.
Perry hasn't exactly flashed.

Hubbard, Bradford, Goodson, Thornton are all disappointments, although as rookies this is a lower grading scale

pbmax
08-30-2014, 12:17 PM
Perry has got to be on that list.

red
08-30-2014, 12:24 PM
Perry has got to be on that list.

yeah. neal looks like he's stepped it up a notch with peppers coming in taking away some of his playing time

perry looks like he's doing the exact opposite. pouting and coasting through his contract

Harlan Huckleby
08-30-2014, 12:25 PM
Take a look at the draft, you got two glaring candidates there.

But of course it is early in their careers.

digitaldean
08-30-2014, 12:51 PM
I don't know if I'd say Sherrod. My vote would go to Quarless. Q hasn't really taken the TE job with authority. Hell, he might not even make the 53...

Quarless has been solidly UNSPECTACULAR in this camp. Sherrod concerns me if he has to start in a pinch at LT. he looked like a walking turnstile.

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Why Perry? Seems harsh.

Patler
08-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Sherrod hasn't disappointed me, because I didn't expect him to be much better than he was as a rookie, when I thought he was bad. I am hoping he can show improvement during the year, however.

Perry is a disappointment. I looked for him to be healthy and make a step up. He really hasn't, but I haven't given up completely. Mike Neal didn't make an impact until his fourth season, Perry is in his third. The pressure is off him now, maybe he can learn in a more limited role as a backup used in specific situations.

Quarless didn't make any noise in camp, but I think in each preseason game he had a play or two that was kind of nice. He hasn't gotten back to where he was before his knee injury, and if he doesn't this year he probably never will. A disappointment I suppose, but again the expectations weren't that high to begin TC with.

It is hard to be disappointed in Burnett, the starters played so little there wasn't much to see. He sat out a few practices. I'll reserve judgement on him until we see how he plays as the season unfolds. If he doesn't start to make an impact, I will be disappointed for sure.

Patler
08-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Not a disappointment, but something to watch out for. My impression is that Masthay was more inconsistent than in the past. I'm not worried, but I will be paying attention to his early season performances.

woodbuck27
08-30-2014, 01:31 PM
quarless for me too, for the same reasons pugger gave

also, burnett

guy should have been playing for his roster spot. instead he does nothing, the gets hurt and misses tons of time. and insteadof winning or proving he should be starting, hne wins it by default because of the injury. i would say hyde for sure, haha and maybe richardson all looked better in preseason then burnett did last year

Big disappointments red.

pbmax
08-30-2014, 02:15 PM
Why Perry? Seems harsh.

Just hasn't improved in any one area of his pass rush. Still solid against run but was hoping for a something new to counter his bull rush.

mission
08-30-2014, 04:37 PM
Didn't Perry have a big strip sack in the playing time equivalent of maybe a full game? I'd take that average every four quarters.

pbmax
08-30-2014, 04:39 PM
Didn't Perry have a big strip sack in the playing time equivalent of maybe a full game? I'd take that average every four quarters.

Sure. But there was a lot of nothing in between and he didn't go against many starters until maybe the Chiefs game.

Bretsky
08-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Perry for sure

My expectations for Fluffy were so low I can't call him a disappointment. IN fact he's a pleasant surprise for me

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2014, 06:34 PM
In the first three games Perry was better than people claim. He had a strip sack and a couple of TFLs. He isn't Clay Matthews, but he did as much as Mike Neal, but I guess he's everbody's whipping boy now.

pbmax
08-30-2014, 09:09 PM
In the first three games Perry was better than people claim. He had a strip sack and a couple of TFLs. He isn't Clay Matthews, but he did as much as Mike Neal, but I guess he's everbody's whipping boy now.

He did, he is not a washout. But he needs another move, too many ineffectual snaps.

I am disappointed, I am not claiming he is a bust or useless.

KYPack
08-30-2014, 09:32 PM

That's about my take on the guy, too.

He needs to add moves. A counter and a spin move in pass rush. His shed is about average, with his strength, he should bury guys in shed. His coverage has improved from the shits to about average.

His strength is definitely that bull rush. He's a big bastard and he's coming hard every pass rush. You don't have to plan much to stop him, but you gotta get him blocked and that ain't super easy. I know what Harv means about not being as down on him as the herd is, but we could get more from him.

I'd like to see more, but I'll take what he gives for now.

Bretsky
08-30-2014, 09:58 PM
He did, he is not a washout. But he needs another move, too many ineffectual snaps.

I am disappointed, I am not claiming he is a bust or useless.

Where I am as well. I'm not saying he's a JAG. But he hasn't come close to living up the Packerrats Kool Aide Hype either

Zool
08-30-2014, 10:15 PM
Where I am as well. I'm not saying he's a JAG. But he hasn't come close to living up the Packerrats Kool Aide Hype either

Thirded. I was hoping for him to show big against 2s and 3s. He didn't.

Joemailman
08-31-2014, 07:38 AM
Thornton. Even though it's common for rookie D-Linemen to struggle, he was a disappointment. Watching him Thursday night, I questioned whether he was in very good physical shape. Just didn't look like the same guy they drafted. Then he pulled a hamstring. He'll get another chance next year. Hope he's more ready to contribute.

pbmax
08-31-2014, 09:09 AM
Thornton. Even though it's common for rookie D-Linemen to struggle, he was a disappointment. Watching him Thursday night, I questioned whether he was in very good physical shape. Just didn't look like the same guy they drafted. Then he pulled a hamstring. He'll get another chance next year. Hope he's more ready to contribute.

McCarren noted he did have 2 good penetrations while he was in there. Doesn't make up for his camp, but maybe a glimpse of his future.

Striker
08-31-2014, 09:40 AM
Quarless or Perry for me as well.

Bretsky
08-31-2014, 10:11 AM

This is a fine nomination; I was never fond of this guy from the start so he was not on my list. I did buy into the Bradford hype so disappointed in him.

In regards to Perry......still think he's a miscast in this system ......but I have really been cheering for the Kool aiders to be 100 percent correct on him so that's my guy

Guiness
08-31-2014, 10:20 AM
Not a disappointment, but something to watch out for. My impression is that Masthay was more inconsistent than in the past. I'm not worried, but I will be paying attention to his early season performances.

That's funny, I noticed it too. He's a vet though, I chalk it up to trying something different, or fine tuning a wrinkle. When the bright lights are on he'll go with what he knows works.

CaliforniaCheez
09-05-2014, 01:43 AM
The biggest disappointment in training camp is that the Packers did not work on tackling fundamentals.

The Seahawks could tackle but the Packers looked like they were chasing a greased pig.

Patler
02-12-2015, 08:25 AM

That's funny, I noticed it too. He's a vet though, I chalk it up to trying something different, or fine tuning a wrinkle. When the bright lights are on he'll go with what he knows works.

Sometime Patler and Guiness are right, too! :-)
The above were posted on 8/30/2014 and 8/31/2014.

He looked OK early, then fell apart late.

HarveyWallbangers
02-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Masthay was solid until the birth of his child. He seemed to have a couple of poor games and then lost his confidence.