PDA

View Full Version : DO...The Chicago Bears have the pieces to be Super Bowl winner?

woodbuck27
08-30-2014, 02:13 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/8/28/6065359/2014-chicago-bears-projections-playoff-contender-super-bowl-prediction

DO....The Chicago Bears have the pieces to be Super Bowl winner?

The author makes a case for this.

I believe the Green Bay Packers will have a strong voice to prevent this.

What's your view?

Pugger
08-30-2014, 02:27 PM
I know you can't put any weight on what you see in the preseason but I'm not seeing how their defense is much better than it was last year. They had problems stopping people. They have a potent offense for sure but the Bears are not better than Seattle, San Fransisco, New Orleans or us.

The Shadow
08-30-2014, 02:30 PM
Quite simply, no.
The offense is fine - execpt for Cutler's penchant for making costly mistakes.
The defense is mediocre.
The special teams will be a bonafide disaster.

woodbuck27
08-30-2014, 02:47 PM
I know you can't put any weight on what you see in the preseason but I'm not seeing how their defense is much better than it was last year. They had problems stopping people. They have a potent offense for sure but the Bears are not better than Seattle, San Fransisco, New Orleans or us.

I agree that the Bears seem to be weak defensively.

QBME
08-30-2014, 03:32 PM
No.

smuggler
08-30-2014, 03:45 PM
No. They have a bottom-5 defense. They need at least one more season to fix that and contend.

Bossman641
08-30-2014, 05:49 PM
No they do not. Not enough depth and a poor defense.

King Friday
08-30-2014, 06:48 PM
It doesn't matter how many 7 foot tall receivers with gloves of stickum you have...when the going gets tough, your QB can't suddenly develop a vagina and curl up in the fetal position.

pbmax
08-30-2014, 09:08 PM
It doesn't matter how many 7 foot tall receivers with gloves of stickum you have...when the going gets tough, your QB can't suddenly develop a vagina and curl up in the fetal position.

Outside of Herm Edwards, this is the greatest sports analysis I have ever seen.

ThunderDan
08-30-2014, 09:32 PM
No, the Bears D is not good and the rest of the NFL has a year of tape on the Bears O.

KYPack
08-30-2014, 09:39 PM
I will gladly join the herd and say that The Shadow knows...

The Bears (D, at least) Still Suck.

Cheesehead Craig
08-30-2014, 10:07 PM
The Bears? We're talking about the Bears? I thought this wa a football forum. Fucking Bears.

Zool
08-30-2014, 10:18 PM
Is this 1985? No? Then the answer is fuck no they won't win the SB.

Bretsky
08-30-2014, 10:46 PM
homerism aside da bears and packers are similar teams....both stacked offenses and sub par defense.

I give gb the edge because we have Rodgers and they have cutler

smuggler
08-30-2014, 10:52 PM
We have a lot more depth on defense. Specifically at safety, but also CB and OLB.

Zool
08-30-2014, 10:55 PM
homerism aside da bears and packers are similar teams....both stacked offenses and sub par defense.

They just upgraded their safeties with MD Jennings. Hardly similar D

VegasPackFan
08-30-2014, 10:57 PM
Cutler has never won anything and I predicted when they first signed him that he never would. I just don't think the guy is a winner. And the Bears suck....

Striker
08-30-2014, 11:24 PM
No, they don't. A defense that is still aging in key spots and Cutler is still Cutler.

Joemailman
08-30-2014, 11:27 PM
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/b6/a9/51/b6a951be430e6fab537e384a22e63ded.jpg

pbmax
08-30-2014, 11:53 PM

Released. Out saboteur is now on the street, out in the cold. John LeCarre is writing the novel.

Zool
08-30-2014, 11:59 PM
Released. Out saboteur is now on the street, out in the cold. John LeCarre is writing the novel.

Dammit. I was looking forward to him biting on Packer play fakes for a change.

pbmax
08-31-2014, 12:11 AM

Oddly enough, the Packers have a better rushing attack too. If they get better ILBs than the Bears MLB then I am heading for the hills.

Pugger
08-31-2014, 12:42 AM

They cut Jennings.

wist43
08-31-2014, 09:37 AM
They Bears were a 4th and 8 away from beating us twice last year, and I think they're better this year.

I still think we win the division, but it's certainly not a given - Detroit and Minnesota will be better this year too.

The NFC North has become a very competetive division.

Striker
08-31-2014, 09:39 AM
They Bears were a 4th and 8 away from beating us twice last year, and I think they're better this year.

I still think we win the division, but it's certainly not a given - Detroit and Minnesota will be better this year too.

The NFC North has become a very competetive division.

They also couldn't seize the division from a team starting 3 different QBs after Rodgers that ultimately finished 8-7-1.

So beating us and making the playoffs wouldn't exactly be an achievement considering both the Bears and the Lions had all the time in the world to take control and failed to do so.

woodbuck27
08-31-2014, 11:28 AM
They also couldn't seize the division from a team starting 3 different QBs after Rodgers that ultimately finished 8-7-1.

So beating us and making the playoffs wouldn't exactly be an achievement considering both the Bears and the Lions had all the time in the world to take control and failed to do so.

The bottom line:

All we need is a healthy Aaron Rodgers....the Green Bay Packer 'LEADER'.

wist43
08-31-2014, 11:29 AM

They're a flawed team to be sure - but so are the Packers.

Detroit beat us senseless in the T-giving day game... I don't care if we were minus our QB or not - there's no way to rationalize a beating like that. Our team is every bit as flawed as the Lions or Bears.

Striker
08-31-2014, 11:54 AM
They're a flawed team to be sure - but so are the Packers.

Detroit beat us senseless in the T-giving day game... I don't care if we were minus our QB or not - there's no way to rationalize a beating like that. Our team is every bit as flawed as the Lions or Bears.

When it's bad play from Flynn, yeah, it's pretty easy to rationalize. The game at least was close until the battle of attrition finally started sliding the Lions way.

The Packers drives went:

Punt, FG (after an out out of bounds KO), punt, punt, punt, punt, turnover, turnover, punt, punt, turnover. I'm pretty sure they could manage a little better than that under Rodgers.

Like every team in the NFL, the Packers do have flaws. But I think they have decidedly fewer than the rest of the division, and they have the QB to make up for them.

smuggler
08-31-2014, 12:11 PM
Striker's last sentence is pure gold truth. Striker, I proclaim you to be today's golden god!

Pugger
08-31-2014, 12:43 PM
When it's bad play from Flynn, yeah, it's pretty easy to rationalize. The game at least was close until the battle of attrition finally started sliding the Lions way.

The Packers drives went:

Punt, FG (after an out out of bounds KO), punt, punt, punt, punt, turnover, turnover, punt, punt, turnover. I'm pretty sure they could manage a little better than that under Rodgers.

Like every team in the NFL, the Packers do have flaws. But I think they have decidedly fewer than the rest of the division, and they have the QB to make up for them.

:bclap:

Nice post. When folks wax poetic about Flynn all I can think about is how dreadful he was in this game. Our much aligned defense got 3 turnovers in the first half of that game that Flynn couldn't do shit with. :neutral:

wist43
08-31-2014, 12:53 PM

The Packers drives went:

I agree that we have fewer flaws than anyone else in the division, and that we should win the division... but we are not an invincible juggernaut.

Our defense has been a disaster for 3 years running - one of the worst in the league... as "flaws" go, that's a pretty glaring one.

Did TT do enough to right the ship on that side of the ball?? We'll see... but in no way do I think we whistle a happy tune all the way to the division championship.

Striker
08-31-2014, 12:59 PM
I agree that we have fewer flaws than anyone else in the division, and that we should win the division... but we are not an invincible juggernaut.

Our defense has been a disaster for 3 years running - one of the worst in the league... as "flaws" go, that's a pretty glaring one.

Did TT do enough to right the ship on that side of the ball?? We'll see... but in no way do I think we whistle a happy tune all the way to the division championship.

I don't the defense will be top 10 this season. But I think there's enough in place to get up to the top half of the league which, combined with the offense, should be enough to bring Super Bowl contention into the conversation.

We were only sweating last season because of the Rodgers injury. Otherwise the team finishes in the 11-5/10-6 range and would not have been worried about the NFC North at all.

The Shadow
08-31-2014, 01:19 PM

The Packers drives went:

Agree.

Fritz
09-04-2014, 03:51 PM
To me, it's all about injuries and the performance of this re-tooled defense. If this team stays relatively injury free (especially at key positions), and if the defense plays to its apparent talent level (assuming the "little" guys up front perform), this team can go all the way.

If, though, this is a typical-lately Packer defense, it'll be another hollow NFC North title and an early exit in the playoffs.

So tonight I am looking for some sign that this defense can step it up. Of course, they played lights-out early last season, but that was one of those fart-in-the-wind deals.

Except if it were one of my farts in the wind, it would stay....and stay.....and stay.

woodbuck27
12-09-2014, 06:32 PM
NO ! :-)

Surprisingly I believe that Jay Cutler is on some kind of record pace this season.

I need to check that.

Otherwise the Bears are a very sick team. A very sick team on 'D'.

pbmax
12-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Bears OC Aaron Kromer was the source of Ian Rapaport's story about Cutler killing the Bear offense by not checking out of bad run plays. He denies he was the one who said the franchise has buyer's remorse.

He apologized to the team today.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-biggs-aaron-kromer-bears-spt-1212-20141211-story.html

KYPack
12-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Bears OC Aaron Kromer was the source of Ian Rapaport's story about Cutler killing the Bear offense by not checking out of bad run plays. He denies he was the one who said the franchise has buyer's remorse.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-biggs-aaron-kromer-bears-spt-1212-20141211-story.html

OHHH.

I thought OC meant offensive center, not offensive coordinator.

That goof is so fired.

Now Trestman has a scapegoat, if this will help him a bit.

Patler
12-12-2014, 04:17 AM
The Bears really are a mess. Saw this in the article, which states why I was so glad when the Bears signed Cutler to a big contract:

Cutler leads the NFL with 21 turnovers and the offense has been mired in a season-long slump, unable to reach 30 points in a game.

Cutler has a history of going through coaches in quick order. In his sixth season since coming over in a 2009 trade with the Broncos, he is on his second head coach, fourth offensive coordinator and fourth quarterbacks coach.

Even if Trestman manages to keep his job, it is difficult to see anyway that Kromer can keep his and have the faith and trust of his players.

Fritz
12-12-2014, 05:43 AM
Bears OC Aaron "Stormy" Kromer was the source of Ian Rapaport's story about Cutler killing the Bear offense by not checking out of bad run plays. He denies he was the one who said the franchise has buyer's remorse.

Fixed his name for ya. Da Yoopers will get dis one, der.

pbmax
12-12-2014, 06:57 AM
While Cutler is definitely part of the problem, Lovie Smith is more for so many coordinators in Chicago than the QB is. He lost his job mainly because he couldn't find someone capable. While the defense was the best unit on the team (dominating at times), it didn't have as profound an effect. But as the talent slid to the offensive side, it became more of an issue.

If I remember correctly, the GM had a hand in sacking one OC, right before Martz got hired and the whole thing fell apart.

woodbuck27
12-12-2014, 07:07 AM

http://www.nfl.com/player/m.d.jennings/2530703/profile

Vanished !

MadScientist
12-12-2014, 01:49 PM

There's actually a way to work around Cuttler for this. All they have to do is get the play in and line up very quickly (more than 15 seconds remaining). If the formation is not favorable, the OC can yell over the mike - "Hey dumbass, check to this play".

OHHH.

I thought OC meant offensive center, not offensive coordinator.

That goof is so fired.

Now Trestman has a scapegoat, if this will help him a bit.

Good news for the Packers if they buy into the scapgoat idea and keep Trestman.

Joemailman
12-17-2014, 05:53 PM
Bears bench Cutler. Jimmy Clausen to start. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000445281/article/bears-bench-jay-cutler-in-favor-of-jimmy-clausen

denverYooper
12-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Wow.

McGinn sure has been capable of some stinkers.

woodbuck27
12-17-2014, 06:14 PM
Bears bench Cutler. Jimmy Clausen to start. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000445281/article/bears-bench-jay-cutler-in-favor-of-jimmy-clausen

That is great news.

mmmdk
12-17-2014, 06:34 PM
That is great news.

I don't know. Packers could use an upset win but Bears really suck this season...and they'll suck even more with Clausen. Ergo, easy Lions win. In fact, in the long run, it sucks that Bears are realizing that Cutlers is not a winner and in reality a douchebag.

Freak Out
12-17-2014, 06:37 PM
Clausen?

QBME
12-17-2014, 06:38 PM
That is great news.

I don't understand - you actually believe, with your exhaustive research, that the Bears have a better chance to win with Clausen in lieu of Cutler, in spite of the Chicago turmoil?

Joemailman
12-17-2014, 06:40 PM
Cutler is guaranteed to receive 15.5 million from the Bears in 2015 even if they were to cut him. If he is on the Bears roster on the 3rd day of the 2015 league year, which occurs in March, 10 million of his 2016 salary would be guaranteed.

Joemailman
12-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Chicago Bears Organizational Chart:

http://www.skvarch.com/images/trains/trainwreck.jpg

Patler
12-17-2014, 07:34 PM
How can a team go from signing a veteran QB to a 7 yr/$126M contract in the off season to benching the QB 14 games later? This isn't a young QB still learning the game and needing a break to regroup. Cutler is 31 years old, in his 9th season. Benching him, if he doesn't have an undisclosed injury, is effectively severing the commitment established by signing the contract.

What have they learned about Cutler in the last 14 games that they didn't already know in the off season? He had been the Bears QB for 5 years. Huge screw up on many levels by the Bears organization.

King Friday
12-17-2014, 07:57 PM
I'm glad the Bears have found the culprit for the worst defense in the entire league in terms of points allowed. The Bears defense has allowed 33 passing TDs. They have allowed 10 of 16 4th down attempts to be converted against them. Clearly, Jay Cutler is the mastermind holding the defense back from achieving their lofty goals.

woodbuck27
12-17-2014, 08:26 PM
I don't understand - you actually believe, with your exhaustive research, that the Bears have a better chance to win with Clausen in lieu of Cutler, in spite of the Chicago turmoil?

I'm in the Pro Pickem. I didn't see the Bears winning with Jay Cutler nor do I see Chicago defeating the Lions this week with any other QB on their roster.

Benching Jay Cutler is a positive move for obvious reasons.

First - The team isn't winning with Jay Cutler. Moving on now without Jay Cutler will help answer important questions. I'm discounting any games here to shake up Cutler. That man is a loser.

Looking at another starting QB. How did that team look last season with Josh McCown behind Center?

Anything concerning any change at QB in Chicago can't be much worse at this point in the schedule.

Have you been watching any Bear games? Following the Bears at all? That team is in an ugly mess. I'd hate to be a Bears fan. Watching their pain on MNF wasn't pretty. Jay Cutler stunk out the joint. The GM and HC and his staff; many players and the Bear fans are sick of Jay Cutler.

I pay attention for various reasons. Specificlly I'm interested in things Chicago Bears and especially in the rumors surrounding their HC. The Bear offense is nowhere with Jay Cutler 'the TO machine'. Cutler doesn't even do a decent job of protecting the ball. I watch him and know he'll toss a silly pick.

That team had/has real potential with any QB that can follow a plan. That can exercise discipline. Jay Cutler is for some reason on his own planet. He's not in sync with his HC, OC and fellow players. That's all right in your face if your paying any attention to the Chicago Bears.

Yes there is obvious turmoil in Chicago and benching Jay Cutler is a step in the right direction.

red
12-17-2014, 08:28 PM
Pft has it figured out. Cutlers money in 2015 is guaranteed for Injury only it looks like. So by benching him, they are eliminating the risk of him getting Injured. Their hope is to trade him in the offseason.

Good luck with that

And it is a bad thing that the bears have figured out cutler sucks

Guiness
12-17-2014, 08:29 PM

Wow, didn't see this coming.

Can they really have lost faith in him to that extent? Seems pretty incredible.

woodbuck27
12-17-2014, 09:09 PM
Pft has it figured out. Cutlers money in 2015 is guaranteed for Injury only it looks like. So by benching him, they are eliminating the risk of him getting Injured. Their hope is to trade him in the offseason.

Good luck with that

No team should have to put up with that much misery.

King Friday
12-17-2014, 09:15 PM

Not really. The Bears really have never had a true franchise QB in the entire history of their existence. Sid Luckman? Is that really the BEST they've got? What makes you think they are going to find one now? Cutler is mediocre...but at least 10 teams in the NFL have it far worse at QB. The chances of the Bears going further south at QB are probably higher than them finding a gem.

woodbuck27
12-17-2014, 09:24 PM
I don't know. Packers could use an upset win but Bears really suck this season...and they'll suck even more with Clausen. Ergo, easy Lions win. In fact, in the long run, it sucks that Bears are realizing that Cutlers is not a winner and in reality a douchebag.

Not to worry.

No way the Green Bay Packers back into a playoff slot.

The Packers will handle Tampa Bay this week.

The Detroit LIONS would have (with Cutler @ QB) and still will defeat the Chicago Bears this week no matter who the Bears use @ QB. The Lions are a seriously good team. The Bears are a very bad team.

The Detriot Lions will be a formidable foe @ Lambeau in Week 17. The Lions don't win @ Lambeau Field.

The Packers will win out and grab the NO. 2 Seed.

It's all very simple. :-)

Patler
12-17-2014, 09:36 PM
The Bears can end up looking very foolish if they trade or cut him this off season. The questions about Jay Cutler today are no different than the questions about him during the off season. The Bears should have had the guts to let him go last off season. They are learning a very expensive lesson. Alternatively, they would have been better off using the franchise tag on him if they felt the need to give him a second year with Trestman.

If I understand the "Spotrac" breakdown correctly, the total guarantee as of March 2014 was $38M, and an additional $10M guarantees in 3/2015. If they dump him before March, they are still on the hook next year for a $19.5M cap hit after a cap charge this year of $18.5M.

$38M for one year of service.

Trade? Does anyone want him at roughly $16-21M/year? How much will they give to take on that obligation? Does a 32 year old 10 year vet still have "upside" to hope for????

woodbuck27
12-17-2014, 09:47 PM
The Bears can end up looking very foolish if they trade or cut him this off season. The questions about Jay Cutler today are no different than the questions about him during the off season. The Bears should have had the guts to let him go last off season. They are learning a very expensive lesson. Alternatively, they would have been better off using the franchise tag on him if they felt the need to give him a second year with Trestman.

If I understand the "Spotrac" breakdown correctly, the total guarantee as of March 2014 was $38M, and an additional $10M guarantees in 3/2015. If they dump him before March, they are still on the hook next year for a $19.5M cap hit after a cap charge this year of $18.5M.

$38M for one year of service.

Trade? Does anyone want him at roughly $16-21M/year? How much will they give to take on that obligation? Does a 32 year old 10 year vet still have "upside" to hope for????

How about a bucket of ice cold water thrown on his head daily?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSu-9Nom3T6pWb6MljisKj9QtkdKNc7QrjOyxOL0yd2qhIaoxIy

" Hey Jay...Are you in there? .... Screw it get the bucket !

pbmax
12-17-2014, 10:01 PM
I'm glad the Bears have found the culprit for the worst defense in the entire league in terms of points allowed. The Bears defense has allowed 33 passing TDs. They have allowed 10 of 16 4th down attempts to be converted against them. Clearly, Jay Cutler is the mastermind holding the defense back from achieving their lofty goals.

That decline I sorta understand. I really want to know how they went from having an answer in the O line to having none is less than a year.

pbmax
12-17-2014, 10:03 PM
Let's hope Clausen has more Shaun Hill or Paul Justin in him than Manziel did last week.

woodbuck27
12-17-2014, 10:36 PM
Let's hope Clausen has more Shaun Hill or Paul Justin in him than Manziel did last week.

It doesn't matter................. Lions win.

George Cumby
12-17-2014, 10:59 PM
It's not even fun beating the Bears, these days. It really isn't. I certainly don't want a return to the 80's, but some competitive balance would be nice.

vince
12-17-2014, 11:14 PM
It really has become pathetic quickly hasn't it? Joe's pic nails it. It's like watching a train wreck. It used to be fun ripping on Rex and even Cutler... I never thought I'd actually start to feel sorry for their fans. Talk about a dire situation. They shoulda kept McCown. How bad is that?

http://theactionelite.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/titanic-sinking.jpg

woodbuck27
12-18-2014, 05:41 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000445356/article/eight-potential-landing-spots-for-jay-cutler-in-2015

Eight potential landing spots for Jay Cutler in 2015

By Dan Hanzus ...Around the NFL Writer

Published: Dec. 17, 2014 at 09:45 p.m. ... Updated: Dec. 17, 2014 at 10:26 p.m.

Comment woodbuck27:

Yes.... The Chicago Bears may in the end retain him.

This move to bench Jay Cutler may be an effort to shake him out of his tree.

The move may be related to "can Marc Trestman win again".

The Bears looked terrific last season with Josh McCown behind Center.

It doesn't appear likely that Jiimmy Clausen is the answer.

Do you turn to a raw Rookie in David Fales and start him?

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/roster/David-Fales/d1593693-499c-47a4-a574-a5bec4d31cfc

That would be to assume that he's ready.

woodbuck27
12-18-2014, 06:48 AM

POLL:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-bench-jay-cutler-for-sundays-game-agree-with-the-decision-20141217-htmlstory.html

Bears bench Jay Cutler for Sunday's game. Agree with the decision?

mraynrand
12-18-2014, 07:49 AM
It really has become pathetic quickly hasn't it? Joe's pic nails it. It's like watching a train wreck. It used to be fun ripping on Rex and even Cutler... I never thought I'd actually start to feel sorry for their fans. Talk about a dire situation. They shoulda kept McCown. How bad is that?

http://theactionelite.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/titanic-sinking.jpg

More like:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/g-bw_1n5tJA/hqdefault.jpg

woodbuck27
12-18-2014, 09:50 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2303527-its-over-for-cutler-in-chicago-as-trestman-puts-him-in-his-place-the-bench?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

It's Over for Cutler in Chicago as Trestman Puts Him in His Place: The Bench

By: Mike Freeman , NFL National Lead Writer

Dec 17, 2014

" For Cutler to sit just 14 games into a megacontract means there will be a total housecleaning in Chicago. Cutler usually only gets coaches fired. This time, a general manager could be gone as well.

Throughout Cutler's career, coaches always believed: I can change him. This is the Jeff George Theorem. It's right up there with Hawking radiation and relativity. The more you rely on Cutler, the more you think you can change him, the more you fall into the abyss."

Fritz
12-18-2014, 10:23 AM
More like:

More like this:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8TP9rRrq5QPf5ybcuUFROdMydKC52w WkZYJxn2KiEUK7bMTgv

woodbuck27
12-18-2014, 10:29 AM
More like this:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8TP9rRrq5QPf5ybcuUFROdMydKC52w WkZYJxn2KiEUK7bMTgv

Fritz of all members here you should know that ' there ' ... there was more !

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/thumbnail_570x321/2011/07/gilligans-island-cast_2011_a_l.jpg

Pugger
12-18-2014, 10:34 AM

I doubt Clausen can be any worse than Cutler has been this season.

Pugger
12-18-2014, 10:37 AM

Good luck with that

And so has the rest of the league. Seriously, what other team is gonna want that guy at that salary? :lol:

Maxie the Taxi
12-18-2014, 10:44 AM
I doubt Clausen can be any worse than Cutler has been this season.

Ditto. Don't forget, if this is trap game week for the Packers, it's more so for the Lions. They killed the Bears in Detroit so they may be looking beyond the Bears.

Let's hope the Bears' players feel they've got something to prove.

Pugger
12-18-2014, 10:51 AM
Ditto. Don't forget, if this is trap game week for the Packers, it's more so for the Lions. They killed the Bears in Detroit so they may be looking beyond the Bears.

This move might be more to motivate the other players on the roster = "If they can bench Jay am I next?"

Fritz
12-18-2014, 10:57 AM
I think, myself, that the Bears have laid down this season. At least Lovie's got TB playing hard.

There is no "I" in "team," but there is in "quit"!

Hell, the talkheads already have the Bears ditching everyone except Jay Cutler in the offseason - and bringing Shanny in to get Cutler to become the kind of QB he never has been in his nine years in the NFL.

Good luck with that.

woodbuck27
12-18-2014, 11:06 AM
This move might be more to motivate the other players on the roster = "If they can bench Jay am I next?"

I think it's all about Jay Cutlers lousy play and attitude.

How that affects everything else....and possibly winning based in a solid game plan.

Jay Cutler simply isn't a TEAM PLAYER.

This goes back to last season and the decision to replace Josh McCown with a returning Jay Cutler (from injury) when Josh McCown had the Bears really rolling.

With Josh McCown behind Center you could see a positively different and confident team. The Bears offense was seriously hot.

mraynrand
12-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Bears bench Cutler. Jimmy Clausen to start.

They're really in a pickle now

Cheesehead Craig
12-18-2014, 12:00 PM
And so has the rest of the league. Seriously, what other team is gonna want that guy at that salary? :lol:

He's untradeable. His next contract and where is going to be real intriguing.

mraynrand
12-18-2014, 12:15 PM
He's untradeable. His next contract and where is going to be real intriguing.

There's a reasonable chance it will look like Jeff George's new contract following his 2001 season with the Redskins.

Guiness
12-18-2014, 12:17 PM

It's entirely possible something unexpected happens in Chicago this week-end.

The Bears have Forte, who has had a top 5 RB type of season with almost 1700 yards from scrimmage and 9 TDs. If Clausen comes in and is a game manager, Forte has a good game and the D shows up, they could be a tough opponent. Add in the Lions history of late season collapse, well, there is hope for the Bears to help the Pack out here!

Guiness
12-18-2014, 01:08 PM
I think it's all about Jay Cutlers lousy play and attitude.

How that affects everything else....and possibly winning based in a solid game plan.

Jay Cutler simply isn't a TEAM PLAYER.

This goes back to last season and the decision to replace Josh McCown with a returning Jay Cutler (from injury) when Josh McCown had the Bears really rolling.

With Josh McCown behind Center you could see a positively different and confident team. The Bears offense was seriously hot.

His lousy play is indisputable, but is his attitude really that bad? The media loves to beat on him because his body english is horrible, he looks like he's pouting all the time. Add in a few internet meme's (there's a website dedicated to him that sells Smokin' Jay t-shirts!) and it's pretty easy to start believing his press.

I've never thought he was elite, and think he's been over rated from his draft position on. Someone in Denver must've had the same idea and cut bait. But I don't know that I doubt his commitment, attitude, etc.

denverYooper
12-18-2014, 01:44 PM

The Bears have Forte, who has had a top 5 RB type of season with almost 1700 yards from scrimmage and 9 TDs. If Clausen comes in and is a game manager, Forte has a good game and the D shows up, they could be a tough opponent. Add in the Lions history of late season collapse, well, there is hope for the Bears to help the Pack out here!

Man... the Vikings sure messed up a great opportunity to help out.

Smidgeon
12-18-2014, 02:03 PM

I cannot imagine a scenario where Jimmy Clausen gives the Bears a better chance to win than Cutler does. Cutler is having a bad year, but he's still a top 10-12 QB. Way better than most of what the league has to put up with.

Smidgeon
12-18-2014, 02:04 PM
His lousy play is indisputable, but is his attitude really that bad? The media loves to beat on him because his body english is horrible, he looks like he's pouting all the time. Add in a few internet meme's (there's a website dedicated to him that sells Smokin' Jay t-shirts!) and it's pretty easy to start believing his press.

I've never thought he was elite, and think he's been over rated from his draft position on. Someone in Denver must've had the same idea and cut bait. But I don't know that I doubt his commitment, attitude, etc.

Yep. Any doubts I had about his commitment ended the year he got in shape and got rid of his extra neck rolls.

Guiness
12-18-2014, 02:10 PM
I cannot imagine a scenario where Jimmy Clausen gives the Bears a better chance to win than Cutler does. Cutler is having a bad year, but he's still a top 10-12 QB. Way better than most of what the league has to put up with.

The 'Clausen is a game manager' part. Where Cutler isn't out there to do this and lose it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIvp3uFYbvw

MadScientist
12-18-2014, 02:11 PM
there is hope for the Bears to help the Pack out here!
Actually, no there isn't. The games this week have no bearing on the division. The winner of the Detroit - GB game will win the NFC North. The games this week do matter for seeding and possible wild card births. But there is no way for the Bears to actually help the Packers out (excluding injury), unless they find some sort of Detroit weakness and put it out there on film.

George Cumby
12-18-2014, 02:25 PM
The Bears aren't going to win. They have quit, the coach can't motivate them, their defense is atrocious, their defensive coordinator cant get his people to do anything.

These Lions are not the Schartz Lions. Their offense is not overpowering but they are playing hard and aren't rolling over. Caldwell is a coach, not a lunatic.

The Packers need to get their shit together and take care of Tampa, then keep their shit together and settle Detroits hash. If they don't, they dont deserve the division or the playoffs.

Guiness
12-18-2014, 02:31 PM
Actually, no there isn't. The games this week have no bearing on the division. The winner of the Detroit - GB game will win the NFC North. The games this week do matter for seeding and possible wild card births. But there is no way for the Bears to actually help the Packers out (excluding injury), unless they find some sort of Detroit weakness and put it out there on film.

Was I Patlerized by the self-professed Megalomanic Rat? Damn...

Ok, the Bears can't help the Packers, but they can hurt the Lions! If the Lions lose out (last 2 games of the season on the road in Chicago and Green Bay? Ouch), Philly and Dallas win out, they miss the playoffs!

pbmax
12-18-2014, 02:32 PM
Remember, its the Lions we are talking about. Anything is possible, including getting lost on way to Chicago.

Smidgeon
12-18-2014, 02:44 PM

Guiness
12-18-2014, 02:52 PM
Remember, its the Lions we are talking about. Anything is possible, including getting lost on way to Chicago.

If the team bus is picking them up in the parking lot at the Joe Louis arena, they might get mugged and never get out of Detroit!

gbgary
12-18-2014, 06:24 PM
heard jurko on the radio today talking about the bears. didn't know he was up there on some chi sports radio station. sounded like a real bears fan.

mraynrand
12-18-2014, 07:34 PM
More like this:

Little Buddy!

Joemailman
12-18-2014, 09:05 PM
heard jurko on the radio today talking about the bears. didn't know he was up there on some chi sports radio station. sounded like a real bears fan.

He grew up in Illinois, probably a lifelong Bears fan. Packers let him go after 1995 season. There were rumors he was a major supplier of Vicodin to Favre.

Bossman641
12-18-2014, 09:48 PM

Reading between the lines from comments made by some Bear players, and also what I've heard from some radio guys guys around here....yes it is

woodbuck27
12-18-2014, 10:22 PM

Hi Guiness:

Watch this presser carefully. Watch his body language and his response to the question- "Can you play for Marc Trestman next season?"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000445551/article/jay-cutler-i-want-to-stay-in-chicago

Jay Cutler: I want to stay in Chicago

By Kevin Patra ... Around the NFL writer

Published: Dec. 18, 2014 at 03:39 p.m. ... Updated: Dec. 18, 2014 at 07:46 p.m

I'd hope for for a quick no doubts "Absolutely !!" kind of a response....not a yes .......then a ponder..... and a yes.

Jay Cutler might hire a personality check and body language coach. He surely can spare some $$CASH$$ for such an intervention. :-)

mraynrand
12-18-2014, 10:30 PM
Jay Cutler: I want to stay in Chicago

playing football optional

pbmax
12-18-2014, 10:50 PM
He grew up in Illinois, probably a lifelong Bears fan. Packers let him go after 1995 season. There were rumors he was a major supplier of Vicodin to Favre.

He said he supplied. Rumors and confirmation arrived at same time.

vince
12-19-2014, 12:40 AM
More like:

Too many people going down with the ship for that one. The entire coaching staff for starters is in shambles - offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, o-line coach, special teams, the head coach clearly has no control over this ship, the GM's draftpicks and free agent pickups have just about universally failed. Cutler, the whole damn team is sunk. Briggs is done. Tillman hasn't played much in two years it seems. They have no safety talent. They get gashed through the air and still only have the 18th ranked rush D by yards. The offensive line is really offensive.

Keep Forte and the receivers but even they're getting old except Jefferies. The rookie CB can stay too but that's about it. Staring at cap nightmares with a dramatically underperforming $20 million annual weight around your neck. The fanbase has totally turned on the team and is pulling the ship and everyone on it down with them.

The bottom is clearly in sight... the preseason favorite to earn the 2016 #1 draft pick.

Is there a team out there that will be dumb enough to take the noose that is Jay Cutler and tie it around their own neck?

woodbuck27
12-19-2014, 04:36 AM
The 'Clausen is a game manager' part. Where Cutler isn't out there to do this and lose it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIvp3uFYbvw

Hahahahaha ....

Jay Cutler... Damn it I've been trying to figure this out for the longest time and I finally get it:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfKh_uDoaFIteCaWBwkib63WhRuhogt n2D40TV3rGkUCZE9VlA

He's got the head of Dr. Frankenstein's monster.

woodbuck27
12-19-2014, 09:53 PM

Can the Bears help out the Packers this week?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B5HPcl1IQAA3Qk1.jpg:large

Joemailman
12-19-2014, 10:50 PM
Too many people going down with the ship for that one. The entire coaching staff for starters is in shambles - offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, o-line coach, special teams, the head coach clearly has no control over this ship, the GM's draftpicks and free agent pickups have just about universally failed. Cutler, the whole damn team is sunk. Briggs is done. Tillman hasn't played much in two years it seems. They have no safety talent. They get gashed through the air and still only have the 18th ranked rush D by yards. The offensive line is really offensive.

Keep Forte and the receivers but even they're getting old except Jefferies. The rookie CB can stay too but that's about it. Staring at cap nightmares with a dramatically underperforming $20 million annual weight around your neck. The fanbase has totally turned on the team and is pulling the ship and everyone on it down with them.

The bottom is clearly in sight... the preseason favorite to earn the 2016 #1 draft pick.

Is there a team out there that will be dumb enough to take the noose that is Jay Cutler and tie it around their own neck?

Briggs, Tillman and Paea are all free agents this year. Jeffery and Forte will be free agents in 2016. A lot of players to sign or replace and it looks like they're going to have to draft a QB. The Bears are going to have to hire someone to run that team with enough of a reputation that their own free agents will want to stay. It won't be easy.

Patler
12-20-2014, 08:27 AM

According to the National Football Post, the Jets might actually need Cutler's contract. The CBA requires teams to spend minimum amounts in four year periods, and the Jets are almost 5% below the minimum through the first two years.

pbmax
12-20-2014, 08:59 AM
According to the National Football Post, the Jets might actually need Cutler's contract. The CBA requires teams to spend minimum amounts in four year periods, and the Jets are almost 5% below the minimum through the first two years.

I would buy Jets tickets to see Rex Ryan coach Jay Cutler. But I don't think Rex is there much longer.

red
12-20-2014, 11:01 AM
So pft is saying that a few sources from un named teams have said that the bears might actually have to give up picks in order to trade cutler

http:// http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/20/report-executives-suggest-bears-could-have-to-give-up-a-good-draft-pick-to-move-cutler/

You couldnt make this stuff up lol

woodbuck27
12-20-2014, 11:06 AM
So pft is saying that a few sources from un named teams have said that the bears might actually have to give up picks in order to trade cutler

http:// http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/20/report-executives-suggest-bears-could-have-to-give-up-a-good-draft-pick-to-move-cutler/

Well ...... it's Jay Cutler.....Yea !

NFL GM's will exercise more caution in the future; instead of rushing to upgrade the contracts of the likes of Jay Cutler and Colin Kaepernick.

vince
12-20-2014, 11:40 AM

Wow.

"We'll consider taking Cutler off your hands, but if we're going to let you do that to us, we need a high draft pick too so we can draft a real quarterback for the future. Oh, and NFL rules require you to get something in return... How about a conditional 7th round pick if he turns it over less than 30 times for us next year."

I hadn't even considered that a signing could be that bad. Jeff George and his attitude wasn't that bad. Hell Ryan Leaf didn't hurt that much.

Joemailman
12-20-2014, 04:56 PM
The Bears last year drafted David Fales - QB - San Jose St. Man, is that a perfect last name for a Bears QB, or what?

vince
12-20-2014, 05:40 PM
Now it's just piling on.
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10846326_805748816158312_5930339167689160635_n.jpg ?oh=0e7435645247e52bf4811cf727a5b8a0&oe=550E1331
At least he can afford the highest quality H20.

Joemailman
12-21-2014, 10:15 AM
Report that Titans could be interested in trading for Cutler. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000446543/article/tennessee-titans-prepping-for-possible-jay-cutler-deal

If this happens, do Titans pay Cutler's guaranteed 15.5 million in 2015 and 10 million in 2016? Or are the Bears on the hook for that?

KYPack
12-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Report that Titans could be interested in trading for Cutler. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000446543/article/tennessee-titans-prepping-for-possible-jay-cutler-deal

If this happens, do Titans pay Cutler's guaranteed 15.5 million in 2015 and 10 million in 2016? Or are the Bears on the hook for that?

It's murky, but the Bears almost have to trade Big Play Jay.

There's this..."certain circumstances would have the Bears paying the difference of the $15.5 million that Cutler’s owed in 2015 and what his new team would sign him for."

If traded and the new team assumes his salary or re-negotiates a new deal friendly to both parties, the Bears could get away with owing only 4 million of dead money for '15.

The McCaskey's should get rid of coach and front office staff and start over. This is an awful contract that never should have been proposed.

red
12-21-2014, 12:37 PM
It's murky, but the Bears almost have to trade Big Play Jay.

There's this..."certain circumstances would have the Bears paying the difference of the $15.5 million that Cutler’s owed in 2015 and what his new team would sign him for."

If traded and the new team assumes his salary or re-negotiates a new deal friendly to both parties, the Bears could get away with owing only 4 million of dead money for '15.

The McCaskey's should get rid of coach and front office staff and start over. This is an awful contract that never should have been proposed.

Its not that bad of a deal really, if they can find a trade partner, it sounds like they can get out of the deal afte only one year without much of a penalty

NewsBruin
12-22-2014, 03:57 PM
When you trade a guy to another team, you're on the cap hook for his remaining signing bonuses and any other bonuses already earned, but not his upcoming salary and bonuses going forward. If no team wants to bite on Cutler's guaranteed salary, da Bears can convert some of it to a bonus, pay Jay now, and take the cap hit for it, but at least move some of his future salary off their books and cap. It's like selling last year's model at a loss just to get it off your lot.

Actually, it's a lot like that.

woodbuck27
12-22-2014, 06:38 PM
Jay Cutler is going to start for the Bears in Week 17.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/12067526/jay-cutler-start-sunday-chicago-bears

Cutler To Start, Clausen Concussed

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- " Bears quarterback Jay Cutler will start Chicago's season finale against the Vikings after Jimmy Clausen experienced delayed symptoms of a concussion Sunday evening and will not play this weekend, the team announced on Monday.

Clausen was ruled out after an examination on Monday morning."

Patler
12-22-2014, 07:00 PM
I'll repeat, because I have found this site to be very accurate. According to the "Spotrac" breakdown:

- Total guarantee as of March 2014 was $38M.
- An additional $10M guarantees in 3/2015.
- If they dump him before March, they are still on the hook next year for a $19.5M cap hit after a cap charge this year of $18.5M.

Assuming they cut him before the next guarantee and assuming the offset provision applies, it appears their cap hit = $19.5 - (2015 salary from whoever he signs with)

Guiness
12-22-2014, 08:39 PM
I'll repeat, because I have found this site to be very accurate. According to the "Spotrac" breakdown:

- Total guarantee as of March 2014 was $38M.
- An additional $10M guarantees in 3/2015.
- If they dump him before March, they are still on the hook next year for a $19.5M cap hit after a cap charge this year of $18.5M.

Assuming they cut him before the next guarantee and assuming the offset provision applies, it appears their cap hit = $19.5 - (2015 salary from whoever he signs with)

Contract has offset language? That surprises me, wouldn't think a negotiator would dare try to put that language into a starting qb's 3rd contract!

woodbuck27
12-23-2014, 07:22 AM
Now it's just piling on.
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10846326_805748816158312_5930339167689160635_n.jpg ?oh=0e7435645247e52bf4811cf727a5b8a0&oe=550E1331
At least he can afford the highest quality H20.

Some Bears fans are converting their Cutler jerseys. Putting a piece of tape over the "C" and writing in a "B", making it a Kevin Butler jersey. (who

Kevin Butler wore the same jersey number.

Sam Shields and Tramon Williams have confidence in Jay Cutler as a passer.

Their confident he'll get the ball to them.

Patler
12-23-2014, 10:05 AM
Contract has offset language? That surprises me, wouldn't think a negotiator would dare try to put that language into a starting qb's 3rd contract!

Does seem a bit strange, but a number of reporters have mentioned it being in Cutler's contract. I suppose you could sell it as being needed in case the team ends up with a Brett Favre-like situation in the last few years of the contract. A young QB ready to take over and an ancient vet still under contract wanting to wring a few more years out of his career. It's an incentive for the team to release him and let him look for a home elsewhere, even with a team unwilling or unable to assume his remaining contract via a trade.

Pugger
12-23-2014, 10:11 AM

Boy, things must be bad in Nashville if they are considering this clown. That team needs other players besides a QB so it would be moronic for them to take on Cutlet's salary and all the crap that comes with him.

mraynrand
12-23-2014, 11:33 AM
1) TN considering trading for Cutler. Yes, and I'm interested in paying to contract pancreatic cancer
2) Jay Cutler as 'Waterboy?' I'd take the water boy over Cutler in a second. "Mama says...."

woodbuck27
12-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Boy, things must be bad in Nashville if they are considering this clown. That team needs other players besides a QB so it would be moronic for them to take on Cutlet's salary and all the crap that comes with him.

SAVE YOUR MONEY and your nerves. Draft a decent QB Prospect.

Top QB Prospects in the NFL DRAFT:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2015QB.php

They may (well more likely) lose this week Home to indy and win the NO. 1 Draft Pick.

Then again the way indy peformed in Dallas last week; there's no gurantee that they can even fake losing.

denverYooper
12-29-2014, 08:38 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago
The #Bears have fired GM Phil Emery, source says.

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer 4m4 minutes ago
Marc Trestman was just fired as well

Steve Palazzolo ‏@PFF_Steve 8m8 minutes ago
@mikefreemanNFL The Bears drafting only 22 players with an allotted 28 draft picks between 2010 and 2013 also led to today.

pbmax
12-29-2014, 08:54 AM
A lot would depend on how they lost those 6 draft picks. Trades or trading up? Who did they get?

Not surprised Jay Cutler has brought another franchise low, just astonished they signed him AGAIN to do it.

woodbuck27
12-30-2014, 11:42 AM
A lot would depend on how they lost those 6 draft picks. Trades or trading up? Who did they get?

Not surprised Jay Cutler has brought another franchise low, just astonished they signed him AGAIN to do it.

They looked great with Josh McCown last year. He worked the chemistry very well with the Bear WR's. Mccown managed it well as well utilizing /working with their solid RB Matt Forte.

So why didn't it work for Marc Trestman and Jay Cutler?

I believe it has a lot to do with Jay Cutlers attitude.

mraynrand
12-30-2014, 11:51 AM
So why didn't it work for Marc Trestman and Jay Cutler?

I believe it has a lot to do with Jay Cutlers attitude.

Wow, interesting theory. Anyone else ever hear of attitude problems with Jay? This seems scandalous. Certainly not Jay Cutler!

hoosier
12-30-2014, 12:22 PM
I would buy Jets tickets to see Rex Ryan coach Jay Cutler. But I don't think Rex is there much longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB0bCg8UDdE