PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers vs. Seahawks Discussion Thread

Joemailman
09-01-2014, 01:39 PM
I imagine the media will be billing this game as a rematch of the Fail Mary Game. Truth is, both of these teams are better and quite different than they were 2 years ago.

Russell Wilson is a much bigger part of the Seahawks offense than he was then. It wasn't until later in 2012 that Wilson would start to assert himself. Percy Harvin is a better big play threat than the Seahawks had at the time. Defensively, the Seahawks have become the NFL's best defense and play with the confidence that comes from propelling the team to a Super Bowl title.

As for the Packers, they will go into this game with much more offensive balance than they had in 2012. Instead of a near-the-end Cedric Benson, the Packers will go into the game with their best trio of running backs in a decade. And a stronger offensive line, despite having a rookie at Center. Expect the Seahawks to do anything they can to confuse Linsley.

Defensively, the Packers are stronger in the defensive backfield than they were 2 years ago, stronger at OLB, but have a question mark on the defensive line. How the line holds up against Marshawn Lynch will be a key.

pbmax
09-01-2014, 02:06 PM
MM PC

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 47s
Bostick DNP, Goodson DNP, Brad Jones (quad) limited and Tretter is out for #Packers

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 1m
MM on Jones being limited: he got the work done that he needed.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 1m
MM on hopes if Bostick playing: if he doesn't practice Wednesday he won't play in the game.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 27s
MM on saying team had better camp than past years: feel like accomplished what set out, feels good. but camp is over, that chapter is done.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 23s
McCarthy says Jones "got the work he needed." If Bostick doesn't practice Wednesday he won't play. No plan for Tretter for IR-DTR. #Packers

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 11s
MM on if noise affects sideline communication: no, we're on headsets. they're new and improved, supposed to block out background noise.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 33s
MM on how can help Linsley in first start: he's got job to do, first game, can't get around that. best protection is sitton, lang, rodgers

FIRST SAID "HE'S THE CENTER, YOU CAN'T REALLY PROTECT A GUY THERE"

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 26s
MM on how Seattle uses Harvin: he's a playmaker. they're going to give ball to Lynch, starting point, and Harvin will get his touches too

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 6s
McCarthy on run defense with lighter DL: Encouraged by preseason performance.

RAPAPORT WINS!!

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 18s
McCarthy: We're a better pass rush team today than we've been in a long time. We've worked at it a lot more. Saw benefits in preseason.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2014, 02:29 PM
This is gonna be a great game.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. Or an injury on offensive line.

Joemailman
09-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Seahawks favored by 5.5. Over/under is 46.

pbmax
09-01-2014, 05:25 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 1m
#Packers DC Dom Capers said that Letroy Guion would be the starting nose tackle in place of Raji. But others will work there, too.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 11m
Cobb listed No. 1 punt returner. Asked Slocum if that was gospel: "Yeah, sure. He’s been there all along." #Packers

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 1h
Shawn Slocum says Cobb is #Packers' No. 1 punt returner, Hyde No. 2. On kickoffs, it's DuJuan Harris then Hyde. Jeff Janis in both pictures.

Freak Out
09-01-2014, 07:55 PM
5.5? Damn. Time to make some money. :)

smuggler
09-01-2014, 09:52 PM
Wish I had some money to put on the game. 5.5 is a bit generous, even with their empowered home-field advantage. Alas, responsibility before opportunity.

Willard
09-01-2014, 10:22 PM
I expect a physical game erupting into fights. The Pack doesn't want soft label so they will punch the champs right in the kisser.

smuggler
09-02-2014, 12:23 AM
Sticking with my earlier 34-17 hunch, even though my head says it will be much closer.

pittstang5
09-02-2014, 07:28 AM
I expect a physical game erupting into fights. The Pack doesn't want soft label so they will punch the champs right in the kisser.

Yep, I' wouldn't be surprised to see a few 15 yard personals fly on both sides.

pbmax
09-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Hey, did you hear? Russell Wilson is elite!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24690342/monday-musings-preseason-shows-russell-wilson-ready-for-higher-level

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/seahawks/2014/09/01/russell-wilson-offseason-advice-michael-jordan-drew-brees/14921019/

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/273494221.html

denverYooper
09-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Hey, did you hear? Russell Wilson is elite!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24690342/monday-musings-preseason-shows-russell-wilson-ready-for-higher-level

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/seahawks/2014/09/01/russell-wilson-offseason-advice-michael-jordan-drew-brees/14921019/

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/273494221.html

We'll see. Peter King in MMQB has Seattle's OLwatch level at "shaky". They're going on the Pittsburgh recipe of "good D + mobile QB + shitty line".

pbmax
09-02-2014, 11:48 AM
Tuesday is Friday in the McCarthy calendar. His new schedule has them meeting but not practicing today which makes the "Friday" injury report kinda funny.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 11m
#Packers estimated DNPs: TE Bostick (fibula), C Tretter (knee, out), CB Goodson (concussion). LB Brad Jones (quad) limited

PS coming up.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 6m
McCarthy here: Sherman usually plays to offense's right side. Some slot. Doesn't match.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 6m
MM on Cobb: Randall has come off his injury excellent. Played against CHI and SF, he's had an excellent offseason. Looks like Randall

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 5m
MM on officiating: Now they're emphasizing you don't grab the jersey, it's as simple as that.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 5m
MM on Lacy's camp/preseason workload. "I think Eddie's ready to go."

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 6m
MM on special teams: We need to get back to giving special teams the proper resources to be successful. Cobb, Hyde PR. Harris on KR

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 4m
McCarthy on no-huddle: Our veteran players are doing a great job letting us play this way. It's where we are in maturation of our offense.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 4m
MM: DL may weigh less but it's not smaller. Long levers. Likes depth.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 2m
MM: "I thnk Bryan (Bulaga) needs to go back to Seattle." Says he's prepped for best season and looks great.

BONUS SEAHAWK COVERAGE

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 4m
#Seahawks think Jordy Nelson will move around a bit, possibly run into Sherman. Chances are, Boykin draws him most. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/seahawks-vow-they-wont-back-down-despite-crackdown-b99342237z1-273517281.html …

Pugger
09-02-2014, 02:52 PM
Wish I had some money to put on the game. 5.5 is a bit generous, even with their empowered home-field advantage. Alas, responsibility before opportunity.

5.5 isn't that bad. Normally they automatically give the home team 3 points so 2.5 beyond that is really a toss up. I think it will be a close game. I hope we win just to shut up those obnoxious seachicken fans who think their team is the best thing since sliced bread. :-P

Pugger
09-02-2014, 02:57 PM

I don't expect any scrums in this game. It will be hard hitting. Carroll likes to project this aura of toughness but as McCarthy once said "We're nobody's underdog." The seachickens will come out sky high. We'll just have to get thru the first couple of series because they can't stay that amped up for very long.

Tony Oday
09-02-2014, 03:32 PM
We crush the Sea Chickens and it is not even close if the officials call the game anything like the preseason.

pbmax
09-02-2014, 03:37 PM
We crush the Sea Chickens and it is not even close if the officials call the game anything like the preseason.

The Seahawks were the least penalized D backfield in the preseason.

Bossman641
09-02-2014, 04:01 PM
I've jumped back and forth 10 times on this game and I'm still jumping.

The Lacy/Rodgers combo (of which we saw very little last year) should be damn near unstoppable
HOWEVER, the offense tends to start the year slowly
I really think the team is ready to make a statement and show they are every bit as good as SF/SEA
HOWEVER, it's hard not to remember what happened the last time the Seattle D was on the field

I really have no clue

Tony Oday
09-02-2014, 04:58 PM
The Seahawks were the least penalized D backfield in the preseason.

They will be the most during the season if they play like they did last year. AR will chew them up after Lacy runs them over.

denverYooper
09-02-2014, 05:06 PM
They will be the most during the season if they play like they did last year. AR will chew them up after Lacy runs them over.

In the analysis (from Peter King, among others) showing that the Seahawks DBs were the least penalized, it didn't mention whether or not they body-slammed any receivers in the preseason. Of course, Browner is gone, but there was no mention of whether or not they played the same way.

Joemailman
09-02-2014, 05:19 PM
I've jumped back and forth 10 times on this game and I'm still jumping.

The Lacy/Rodgers combo (of which we saw very little last year) should be damn near unstoppable
HOWEVER, the offense tends to start the year slowly
I really think the team is ready to make a statement and show they are every bit as good as SF/SEA
HOWEVER, it's hard not to remember what happened the last time the Seattle D was on the field

I really have no clue

Until last year, under McCarthy it did seem to take the Packers offensive line some time to gel. However, last year the Packers scored 28, 38 and 30 points in their 1st 3 games, with 2 of those against good defenses. They struggled running the ball against SF, but ran it very well against Washington and Cincy. So I have some hope that the offense will not be dysfunctional.

I still have no clue who will win though.

pbmax
09-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 7m
Talked to Bruce Irvin about his day against Bulaga 2 years ago. Said he knew Bulaga was preparing for speed so he countered w/ speed2power.

3irty1
09-02-2014, 05:41 PM
My prediction is that the game will be higher scoring than most are thinking. Seattle's offense should be better with Harvin, their defense lost some talent. We're a much better matchup against Seattle's defense than the Broncos as we don't require 6 in the box to run the ball.

This defense is just a bitch though. With their secondary talent they can afford to stay in man coverage with minimal shell thanks to Sherman or cover 3 without fear of the traditional weaknesses in the seams thanks to Thomas. This gives them a numbers advantage that is hard to overcome as Chancellor can pretty much be a linebacker. It'll be interesting to see how Eddie does against that kind of look. DT's Mebane and McDaniel don't give up much in the run game.

The Seahawks had two big losses in their front 7 since last year: Chris Clemons and Clint McDonald. Without Clemons the Seahawks still have Bennett and Avril as solid starters but you can bet they'll rotate Bennett inside to give Irvin some snaps on the edge vs Bulaga after their last meeting. McDonald was their best interior pass rusher which could perhaps mean even more reason to give Bennett more snaps inside or play more 3-3-5 like they did in the superbowl. A huge matchup to watch is Bulaga vs Bennett and Irvin. The last game was a house of horrors for him.

I think Lacy and Cobb can do some damage in this game and with Boykin and Nelson we're equipped for a physical game outside. Wish we had Jones for this game and really wish we had more at the TE position but McCarthy and Rodgers usually find a way to get their points.

pittstang5
09-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Score Early and Score alot. That's the key. :-)

Oh.....and.......don't let them score alot.

Freak Out
09-02-2014, 10:59 PM
GB finds a way. It starts Thursday.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2014, 12:39 AM
I'm very confident in Packer season, got them going 14-2. But having to play the first game at that place is a lot to ask.

Pugger
09-03-2014, 01:12 AM
I'm very confident in Packer season, got them going 14-2. But having to play the first game at that place is a lot to ask.

This. It will be a close game but it will not be easy winning in that nut house.

pittstang5
09-03-2014, 08:14 AM
Packers could easily get blown out or it could be a tight game. One thing is for sure, I definitely don't see the Packers blowing Seattle out.

With our luck, it'll probably be a tight game into the 4th quarter. Packers will be up by one or two points - Seattle will drive and kick a game winning field goal with no time left.

PA Pack Fan
09-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Packers could easily get blown out or it could be a tight game. One thing is for sure, I definitely don't see the Packers blowing Seattle out.

With our luck, it'll probably be a tight game into the 4th quarter. Packers will be up by one or two points - Seattle will drive and kick a game winning field goal with no time left.

You shut that filthy little mouth!

Rutnstrut
09-03-2014, 01:49 PM

I can see that happening, especially since this defense crumbles at crunch time. Well they have in the past anyway, and I really don't have any confidence that they have gotten better.

wist43
09-03-2014, 02:00 PM
I don't see it being a very competitive game... just hoping we don't get too embarrassed.

We can't stop the run - I don't think that has changed; and we are always horrible out of the gate on the OL (hopefully Rodgers survives and doesn't get knocked out for the year)...

My guess?? Rodgers gets sacked at least 5 times, Lacy runs for < 70 yds; on defense, I think Wilson will be nominated for the HOF after this game, Lynch will go for well over 100 yds.

38-16 Seachickens

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing that could upset that forecast would be if the Seachickens are hungover from celebrating their SB win... but I don't think that will be the case.

3irty1
09-03-2014, 02:30 PM
I don't see it being a very competitive game... just hoping we don't get too embarrassed.

We can't stop the run - I don't think that has changed; and we are always horrible out of the gate on the OL (hopefully Rodgers survives and doesn't get knocked out for the year)...

My guess?? Rodgers gets sacked at least 5 times, Lacy runs for < 70 yds; on defense, I think Wilson will be nominated for the HOF after this game, Lynch will go for well over 100 yds.

38-16 Seachickens

The only thing that could upset that forecast would be if the Seachickens are hungover from celebrating their SB win... but I don't think that will be the case.

So if we win or even compete it was because the Seahawks were hungover. Looks like you've got all your bases covered.

wist43
09-03-2014, 02:34 PM
So if we win or even compete it was because the Seahawks were hungover. Looks like you've got all your bases covered.

A team always has a punchers chance - and with Rodgers at QB, we have a chance in every game. That said, Seattle is so superior to us in so many catagories that it is difficult to see how we leave Seattle with a W.

38-16 Seachickens.

Joemailman
09-03-2014, 04:16 PM

38-16 Seachickens

Tomorrow might be the 1st game of the year, but Wist is in mid-season form!:tup:

wist43
09-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Tomorrow might be the 1st game of the year, but Wist is in mid-season form!:tup:

Thanks Joe... been workin out every morning, feelin better every day :)

wist43
09-03-2014, 04:31 PM
It's not as if their offense is a juggernaut by any means... I think they're only slightly better than average on that side of the ball, but an average offense can light up our defense on any given night.

And as good as our offense is - their defense is elite.

So elite trumps very good - and better than average trumps below average.

Seattle is simply a better team all the way around - and that includes coaching. I think MM is as good a coach as there is in the league, but dunderdummy is such a liability that it's just too much overcome against a solid, well coached team like the Seahawks.

But who knows... maybe they're hungover, and dunderdummy took his hairpiece off long enough to get some oxygen to his brain??

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2014, 04:40 PM
The two things I worry about with this team are nose tackle and the sight of Sherrod taking the field. That's not too bad of a worry list compared to other teams.

Joemailman
09-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Packers injury report:

ILB Brad Jones (thigh) - full participant - PROBABLE
TE Brandon Bostick (leg) - DNP - OUT
CB Demetri Goodson (concussion) - DNP - OUT
C JC Tretter (knee) - OUT

denverYooper
09-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Linsley is going to shine.

The Shadow
09-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Nobody seems to be taking the Packers, but I will.
Rodgers will be masterful, Hyde & Hayward will make big plays.
Packers : 31
Seahawks 24

Cheesehead Craig
09-03-2014, 07:06 PM
I'll go Pack 27 Seattle 24. I think our elite offense is better than their elite defense. I think our defense will surprise. JMO of course.

Packgator
09-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Crosby kicks a 44 yard FG on the final play of the game.

Packers 26
Seattle 24

MadtownPacker
09-03-2014, 08:37 PM
Jump ball in the end zone as time expires, sherman has the pick but Cobb steals it, the call is TD.

BZnDallas
09-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Jump ball in the end zone as time expires, sherman has the pick but Cobb steals it, the call is TD.

As much as I'd love to see this, I say lets save this particular play for the NFC Championship game. It'll hurt more.

denverYooper
09-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Nobody seems to be taking the Packers, but I will.
Rodgers will be masterful, Hyde & Hayward will make big plays.
Packers : 31
Seahawks 24

The great QBs always manage to put together games over the course of their career where they can't be stopped, no matter the opponent.

Rodgers is due for one of those.

VegasPackFan
09-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Packers 24-20

pbmax
09-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Packers 24
Seahawks 14

Wilson gets picked twice, new D off to hotter start than O.

smuggler
09-03-2014, 11:42 PM
Boykin shines and Sherman publicly apologizes for farting from his face drain too often.

Pugger
09-03-2014, 11:55 PM
I hope we beat the seachickens just to shut their arrogant fans up. Ever since the SB they think they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Freak Out
09-04-2014, 12:32 AM
Packers - 27
Seahawks - 17

Bretsky
09-04-2014, 06:49 AM
Not joining the group drunk on Kook Aide for this one. Packers won't win this game. Wilson is an emerging QB and I'm not confident GB will pressure him enough for him to make more than one mistake..and we need that.
When AROD is facing 3rd and 7 in key situations, we'll have multiple rookies lined up at C,TE,WR....as Seattle is bringing the house. We don't have the horses to win this one early on.

Seattle wins 24-`16

QBME
09-04-2014, 06:59 AM
Almost every one of the self anointed "experts" is picking Seattle to win - http://nflpickwatch.com/ - the only exception is some shmo from Bleacher Report. Bleacher Report doesn't have the mojo to disrupt the karmic reality.

Packers are a virtual lock to win tonight.

pittstang5
09-04-2014, 07:43 AM
Expectations are already low for me. A win would be great, getting out of this game healthy is my goal. Packers are clearly the underdog.

I have visions of Lynch breaking tackles and running for 10 - 12 yards at a shot. The defense playing undisciplined and letting Wilson scramble for 1st downs.

Ugh, this game is gonna suck.

Packers 17, Seattle 34

Joemailman
09-04-2014, 07:43 AM
Toughest game on the entire schedule. Packers will show they can compete with the best but they won't win this one.

Hawks 23
Pack 20

Tony Oday
09-04-2014, 08:11 AM
Pack win 42-17. Seachickens get down early and Wilson proves he is a middling QB and our defense stops Lynch up the middle.

Pugger
09-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Almost every one of the self anointed "experts" is picking Seattle to win - http://nflpickwatch.com/ - the only exception is some shmo from Bleacher Report. Bleacher Report doesn't have the mojo to disrupt the karmic reality.

Packers are a virtual lock to win tonight.

The main reason most are picking the seachickens is because they all think our defense will be the same mess we had last year. It is inconceivable to them that our D could get any better. On other forums with fans of all teams only Packer fans give us much of a chance and when we do we're called hopeless homers. I hope we surprise a few people tonight.

Teamcheez1
09-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Sal Paolantonio of ESPN reports that tonight’s referee is John Parry. That’s significant because Parry’s crew called the most defensive holding and pass interference penalties of any officiating crew during the preseason. Parry’s crew also tied for the most defensive holding and pass interference calls of any officiating crew during the 2013 regular season.

3irty1
09-04-2014, 09:31 AM
I didn't realize Seattle was starting a rookie right tackle. Britt was a 2nd rounder that most projected to the 4th or 5th. He struggled big against Georgia's 3-4 last year. His run blocking is ahead of his pass blocking at this time. He was particularly vulnerable to wide speed off the edge.

Drawing Matthews/Peppers for your first NFL debut is a tough gig.

wist43
09-04-2014, 10:02 AM
The main reason most are picking the seachickens is because they all think our defense will be the same mess we had last year. It is inconceivable to them that our D could get any better. On other forums with fans of all teams only Packer fans give us much of a chance and when we do we're called hopeless homers. I hope we surprise a few people tonight.

I think we'll be better against the pass. Clinton-Dix is an upgrade, and Hyde, et al have a year of experience under their belts; but...

We were absolutely pathetic against the run last year, and if anything we'll probably be worse... especially considering that dunderdummy doesn't care that much about stopping the run.

Overall, I think we'll be better, but that's not saying much... we were one of the worst defenses in the league last year. We have the talent to be good, but of course the devil himself is our DC...

wist43
09-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Expectations are already low for me. A win would be great, getting out of this game healthy is my goal. Packers are clearly the underdog.

I have visions of Lynch breaking tackles and running for 10 - 12 yards at a shot. The defense playing undisciplined and letting Wilson scramble for 1st downs.

Ugh, this game is gonna suck.

Packers 17, Seattle 34

That's kind of the way I see it too...

A victory for us would be keeping the score from getting out of hand, and getting out of the game healthy.

We have 15 more games after this one to try and build up toward the playoffs... my hope is that the players will mature and gel over the course of the season, so that come playoff time we will be a legitimate contender.

On a selfish note - I need Harvin to go off... I benched Nelson and put Harvin in my starting lineup in one of my money leagues :)

3irty1
09-04-2014, 10:08 AM

Even most Packer fans have a selective memory about our defenses. In 2011 the defense was a turnover machine, gave up a million yards but still wasn't a bottom 10 in points despite an elite offense forcing teams into desperate passing situations all season. 2012 we were actually the 11th best defense in spite of injuries which is overshadowed by the spanking they took in the 49ers game. Even last year the defense started out excellent which just gave them further to fall once the wheels came off.

If the law-of-averages is real and curses are not, a top 10 defense is a reasonable prediction. They have the talent to be top 5, and the history where nobody would be surprised by bottom 5. The thing with these Capers D's has been that once they break, they BREAK.

denverYooper
09-04-2014, 10:40 AM

Until about the 5th game, most people make their predictions based on what a team was the previous year. There's always a 4 game burn-in for a team due to many factors -- new players, new plays, injuries, etc.

I like the spot the Packers are in right now... they're the dangerous underdogs, always mentioned as "in the conversation" but not the big sexy pick. The popular choices this year seem to be Philly and New Orleans so far.

KYPack
09-04-2014, 11:16 AM
That's kind of the way I see it too...

A victory for us would be keeping the score from getting out of hand, and getting out of the game healthy.

We have 15 more games after this one to try and build up toward the playoffs... my hope is that the players will mature and gel over the course of the season, so that come playoff time we will be a legitimate contender.

On a selfish note - I need Harvin to go off... I benched Nelson and put Harvin in my starting lineup in one of my money leagues :)

Shit.

I have to play Harvin, too.

Pack 24 Sea dipshits 21 on last second Crosby goal kick.

I'm rootin' for my money fantasy team to lose.

Man, I'm getting nervous already.

Cookin Brats for the sausagly challenged in my neighborhood.

Zool
09-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Never forget

http://i.imgur.com/5yvTGY7.jpg

Joemailman
09-04-2014, 11:45 AM
A short, but good article about the game 2 years ago, especially the atrocious first half. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000388981/article/green-bay-packers-grew-from-infamous-fail-mary-loss-in-seattle

By the way, someone who picked the Packers to win tonight should probably start the Game Day Thread.

Freak Out
09-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Lots of talk on the waves that the Center Position will be the Packers downfall tonight. I'm not buying it. :glug:

Pugger
09-04-2014, 12:27 PM
Lots of talk on the waves that the Center Position will be the Packers downfall tonight. I'm not buying it. :glug:

And literally not a word of concern about their rookie RT. I hope Clay and Peppers has that kid's head spinning by halftime.

Cheesehead Craig
09-04-2014, 12:47 PM
A short, but good article about the game 2 years ago, especially the atrocious first half. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000388981/article/green-bay-packers-grew-from-infamous-fail-mary-loss-in-seattle

By the way, someone who picked the Packers to win tonight should probably start the Game Day Thread.

Isn't this also the Game Day Thread? Or does there have to be an official separate one?

Joemailman
09-04-2014, 01:14 PM
Isn't this also the Game Day Thread? Or does there have to be an official separate one?

There needs to be a separate one.

Cheesehead Craig
09-04-2014, 01:19 PM
There needs to be a separate one.

Never started one before, but will be happy to do so, unless someone else is supposed to do it.

call_me_ishmael
09-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Even most Packer fans have a selective memory about our defenses. In 2011 the defense was a turnover machine, gave up a million yards but still wasn't a bottom 10 in points despite an elite offense forcing teams into desperate passing situations all season. 2012 we were actually the 11th best defense in spite of injuries which is overshadowed by the spanking they took in the 49ers game. Even last year the defense started out excellent which just gave them further to fall once the wheels came off.

If the law-of-averages is real and curses are not, a top 10 defense is a reasonable prediction. They have the talent to be top 5, and the history where nobody would be surprised by bottom 5. The thing with these Capers D's has been that once they break, they BREAK.

Talent to be top 5? They have the worst (or at least most unproven) DL in the NFL. They have the worst pair of ILBs in the league. Boy, I don't know about that one... There safety position is very unsettled. At DB I agree they have a top 5 staff.

I would rate the position groups like this:

DL - Bottom 5
ILB - Bottom 5
OLB - Top 5
CB - Top 5
S - 15-20

I don't see a top 10 D there unfortunately.

Joemailman
09-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Never started one before, but will be happy to do so, unless someone else is supposed to do it.

Go for it! Just don't forget to use the word official.

3irty1
09-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Talent to be top 5? They have the worst (or at least most unproven) DL in the NFL. They have the worst pair of ILBs in the league. Boy, I don't know about that one... There safety position is very unsettled. At DB I agree they have a top 5 staff.

I would rate the position groups like this:

DL - Bottom 5
ILB - Bottom 5
OLB - Top 5
CB - Top 5
S - 15-20

I don't see a top 10 D there unfortunately.

I see a team built to stop the pass exceptionally well combined with an offense that's going to demand shootouts to beat. That should make them better than the sum of their parts. Look at New Orleans last year, they sucked against the run but were still a top 4 defense following the same recipe.

Bossman641
09-04-2014, 02:03 PM
I see a team built to stop the pass exceptionally well combined with an offense that's going to demand shootouts to beat. That should make them better than the sum of their parts. Look at New Orleans last year, they sucked against the run but were still a top 4 defense following the same recipe.

Exactly

Run D is a huge unknown at this point but I think we have a nice stable of pass rushers and secondary talent.

Regarding the official game thread, do preseason wins carry over to the regular season? If so, shouldn't the topic starter of the KC game start the thread?

Zool
09-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Regarding the official game thread, do preseason wins carry over to the regular season? If so, shouldn't the topic starter of the KC game start the thread?

I believe the preseason carries over, but I'm not 100%. Mad started the KC game thread and I have made a separate thread calling him out. Will he see it in time? Will we buck protocol to get it started so Cap'n can get his post in? Anyone have Mad's phone number?

pittstang5
09-04-2014, 02:31 PM
I believe the preseason carries over, but I'm not 100%. Mad started the KC game thread and I have made a separate thread calling him out. Will he see it in time? Will we buck protocol to get it started so Cap'n can get his post in? Anyone have Mad's phone number?

We do have a dilemma though. Red Started the St. Louis and Oakland game threads and Packers won. Mad started the KC game thread and Packers won. We're already out of whack, so I don't think it'll matter who starts this one.

Zool
09-04-2014, 02:33 PM
I've not started one ever and that string has been going pretty well for me. Someone should step in and take the initiative.

wist43
09-04-2014, 02:41 PM
And literally not a word of concern about their rookie RT. I hope Clay and Peppers has that kid's head spinning by halftime.

I'd imagine that Pete Carroll is smart enough to give the guy some help... whereas MM will just throw a guy to the wolves without consideration for the fact that the guy might be overmatched (Newhouse comes to mind).

My guess is you'll see the TE lined up over there most of the time, and a lot of chipping by the TE and RB.

wist43
09-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Seattle cops will be in the stands dressed as Packer fans... they're pretty obvious though ;)

http://www.rantsports.com/clubhouse/files/2013/09/seahawks-kid-cop.jpg

Fritz
09-04-2014, 03:28 PM
I'd imagine that Pete Carroll is smart enough to give the guy some help... whereas MM will just throw a guy to the wolves without consideration for the fact that the guy might be overmatched (Newhouse comes to mind).

My guess is you'll see the TE lined up over there most of the time, and a lot of chipping by the TE and RB.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSLdmuRCkSDGB_TYX6UWOJKD0vvQYxV eQDDmTrORruOaHNxpmhnQ

Just a reminder, Wist, that life is good.

Cheesehead Craig
09-04-2014, 03:59 PM
All hail Trish! Excellent choice Fritz!

Fritz
09-04-2014, 04:05 PM
Thinking about her kept me from throwing the TV out the window a few times last year when the Packer defense . . . or offense . . . fell apart.

Striker
09-04-2014, 04:20 PM
Gametime cannot get here fast enough.

wist43
09-04-2014, 04:47 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSLdmuRCkSDGB_TYX6UWOJKD0vvQYxV eQDDmTrORruOaHNxpmhnQ

Just a reminder, Wist, that life is good.

Isn't she the chick with 'da man hands'??

Since about about 1/4 of the world's population is made up of asian chicks... I have a lot of inventory to go thru b/4 I'd have to lower myself to a white chick with 'da man hands' ;)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TV5gUiLNt0E/S2HtZhmPz7I/AAAAAAAADNc/_yNibLoTw3g/s320/man-hands-from-seinfeld.jpg

Zool
09-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Since about about 1/4 of the world's population is made up of asian chicks

Does that lump India in there as well?

MadtownPacker
09-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Go for it! Just don't forget to use the word official.
Fuck you.

call_me_ishmael
09-04-2014, 10:43 PM

DL - Bottom 5
ILB - Bottom 5
OLB - Top 5
CB - Top 5
S - 15-20

Didn't realize the OL would be so awful, though. Seattle is just so insanely fast and well-coached. They run blitz every damn play it seems. We look so old fashioned compared to them.

MM did not adjust the O despite ZERO running game (Did Lacey even have positive yardage?????) and no time. Why not run some quick slants instead of the damn screen pass that never works?

You cannot give up 9 yards a carry to Marshawn and expect to win.

The DL is the worst in the NFL. No question.

wist43
09-04-2014, 11:00 PM

38-16 Seachickens

Well, I will admit when I'm wrong...

- The score was not 38-16, it was 36-16
- Rodgers was only sacked 3 times

------------------------------------------

We gave up 207 yds rushing... Yah!!! Dom Capers!!!

Aint that 2-4 a hoot?? lol...

Can we fire the guy 6 months ago??

George Cumby
09-04-2014, 11:16 PM
I've been with you as far as Capers goes since the middle of last season. It's time for him to go. This loss wasn't solely on the D though. Fat Mike and Aaron Rodgers had a hand in this team failure.

Pugger
09-05-2014, 01:47 AM
I've been with you as far as Capers goes since the middle of last season. It's time for him to go. This loss wasn't solely on the D though. Fat Mike and Aaron Rodgers had a hand in this team failure.

Yes, blame for this disaster should be equally distributed on both sides of the ball and ST. It was a total team effort.

3irty1
09-05-2014, 07:21 AM
Well, I will admit when I'm wrong...

- The score was not 38-16, it was 36-16
- Rodgers was only sacked 3 times

------------------------------------------

We gave up 207 yds rushing... Yah!!! Dom Capers!!!

Aint that 2-4 a hoot?? lol...

Can we fire the guy 6 months ago??

I can't blame Capers for this one. We even had a variety of nickel looks other than the 2-4. Capers can't do the tackling, this was a problem with talent. I blame TT for an opening day roster with only 4 active DL, a bunch of starters who can't tackle for shit, and an offense and coach who hung the D out to dry.

wist43
09-05-2014, 08:24 AM
I can't blame Capers for this one. We even had a variety of nickel looks other than the 2-4. Capers can't do the tackling, this was a problem with talent. I blame TT for an opening day roster with only 4 active DL, a bunch of starters who can't tackle for shit, and an offense and coach who hung the D out to dry.

You don't need more than 3 or 4 DL if all you're going to run is a the 2-4...

Capers did exactly what I expected him to do... he came out with his small bag of the little tricks to start the game, he ran some 3-4 and he covered everyone one up pretty well - then he reverted to his nature, i.e. the 2-4.

Can't remember what series it was... 2nd quarter I think, he came out and lined up in his default 2-4 alignment, and that was it - all coordinating and coaching went out the window. It was autopilot 2-4 after that. He sprinkled in a couple of wrinkles here and there, but for the most part, he reverted to his default defense - the 2-4.

It was a disaster - just as it's been a disaster for the last few years. Capers had 2 months to draw a gameplan for this game - and this is what we got... more of the same.

I'm dead serious when I say he should be fired today - it would be an unprecedented move, but the season is lost already b/c of Dom. Cut him loose now, and maybe they can right the ship by the end of the season.

pbmax
09-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Packers were running a 4-3 alignment for at least part of the night. Haven't seen whole game but read it in his press conference notes.

Those two holding calls, where Brad Jones, normal 3-4 ILB who is line up over a Guard?

He was over the TE as SOLB. Completely new position. I want to say I don't think this was a good idea.

They talked about an Elephant end in camp, this could be what they were cooking up.

wist43
09-05-2014, 08:35 AM
Packers were running a 4-3 alignment for at least part of the night. Haven't seen whole game but read it in his press conference notes.

Those two holding calls, where Brad Jones, normal 3-4 ILB who is line up over a Guard?

He was over the TE as SOLB. Completely new position. I want to say I don't think this was a good idea.

Capers threw some different crap out there... but 2-4 is his default alignment. He ran it more than anything else - and we got throttled when we were in it more often than not.

The defense has absolutely no identity - and when your default alignment is junk, it's got to be terribly demoralizing for the players to know they are being set up for slaughter. One of Lynch's TD runs was almost completely uncontested, as the front six simply got washed away.

Dom has to go... he simply doesn't know what he is doing anymore. He's 93 years old, and the game has simply passed him by.

Cheesehead Craig
09-05-2014, 08:48 AM
Been in the pro-firing of Capers camp for about 2 years now and the inability to stop the run that has been going on for years now is ridiculous.

denverYooper
09-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Capers threw some different crap out there... but 2-4 is his default alignment. He ran it more than anything else - and we got throttled when we were in it more often than not.

The defense has absolutely no identity - and when your default alignment is junk, it's got to be terribly demoralizing for the players to know they are being set up for slaughter. One of Lynch's TD runs was almost completely uncontested, as the front six simply got washed away.

Dom has to go... he simply doesn't know what he is doing anymore. He's 93 years old, and the game has simply passed him by.

I felt the same way last night, but for different reasons... Although Green Bay has gotten "faster" on defense, they simply cannot match speed and kept getting way out of shape trying to do so. Seattle had them off balance for much of the night and beat Green Bay with straight up SPEED.

3irty1
09-05-2014, 08:58 AM
You don't need more than 3 or 4 DL if all you're going to run is a the 2-4...

Capers did exactly what I expected him to do... he came out with his small bag of the little tricks to start the game, he ran some 3-4 and he covered everyone one up pretty well - then he reverted to his nature, i.e. the 2-4.

Can't remember what series it was... 2nd quarter I think, he came out and lined up in his default 2-4 alignment, and that was it - all coordinating and coaching went out the window. It was autopilot 2-4 after that. He sprinkled in a couple of wrinkles here and there, but for the most part, he reverted to his default defense - the 2-4.

It was a disaster - just as it's been a disaster for the last few years. Capers had 2 months to draw a gameplan for this game - and this is what we got... more of the same.

I'm dead serious when I say he should be fired today - it would be an unprecedented move, but the season is lost already b/c of Dom. Cut him loose now, and maybe they can right the ship by the end of the season.

I saw everything from a 4-3 to a 0-6 last night. From what I saw the most popular formation was a 3-3 with Peppers at end. But your obsession with formations doesn't matter, every formation requires tackling. Every formation in football requires that you not rack up penalties. Despite the poor individual efforts Capers's D kept the Seahawks to 4/11 on 3rd down. Considering how terrible the offense was, there are a LOT of brass and players that deserve blame before Capers. I'm no Capers fan, give him a chance and he'll give you a chance to say I told you so. This definitely wasn't it.

pbmax
09-05-2014, 09:17 AM
I saw everything from a 4-3 to a 0-6 last night. From what I saw the most popular formation was a 3-3 with Peppers at end. But your obsession with formations doesn't matter, every formation requires tackling. Every formation in football requires that you not rack up penalties. Despite the poor individual efforts Capers's D kept the Seahawks to 4/11 on 3rd down. Considering how terrible the offense was, there are a LOT of brass and players that deserve blame before Capers. I'm no Capers fan, give him a chance and he'll give you a chance to say I told you so. This definitely wasn't it.

Big plays make the 4/11 worse than it appears for the D, but its not a bad number.

One thing changed this year versus the Seahawks compared to Fail Mary and one thing stayed the same. Packers got hurt by the Seahawks offense in numerous ways this time. But like the last game, Packers O didn't have much of an answer for the Seahawk D. And that is very surprising.

3irty1
09-05-2014, 09:37 AM
If you look at this game its similar to the regular season game the Saints played against the Seahawks last year in week 13. In that game Drew Brees was a 20 million dollar JAG. The saints couldn't do shit on offense and got smoked 7-34.

The Saints also had a top 5 defense last year.