PDA

View Full Version : Favre fumbles more than other QBs

Partial
08-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Anyone notice the ball slips out of his hand more than any other QB? I think it has to do with all the thumb injuries, probably doesn't have a firm grip. Discuss!

Rastak
08-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Anyone notice the ball slips out of his hand more than any other QB? I think it has to do with all the thumb injuries, probably doesn't have a firm grip. Discuss!

Have you ever seen Culpepper play?

FritzDontBlitz
08-29-2006, 10:53 AM

i don't have the game on tape, but if anyone does i suggest they watch the replay of the fumble closely. if you do you'll see that as brett favre starts to pull back to throw the flare to green in the left flat vonta leach passes too close in front of him - to block the blitzing dexter jackson maybe - and leach's shoulder knocks the ball out of favre's hand. the replay from behind the qb showed it most clearly....

CaliforniaCheez
08-29-2006, 10:59 AM

Have you ever seen Culpepper play?

I don't have them anymore but at the begining of last year I had the numbers and Culpepper fumbles more than Brett Favre throws INT's.

It was one bad play but the whole team seemed to crumble apart after the play. It was only 7 of the Bengal points and the defense did not get a turnover to make up for it.

chewy-bacca
08-29-2006, 10:59 AM
in the other angle though, it shows the ball clear with no touch. The angle I think your talking abut does look like its hit, but the next one they showed had it in the clear. I think that play was doomed no matter what, buddy was right in Favres face. it was gonna be a sack, or fumble in another way....that was just the worst case.

edit, thay HAVE to see and pick up blitzes better.

Rastak
08-29-2006, 11:07 AM
in the other angle though, it shows the ball clear with no touch. The angle I think your talking abut does look like its hit, but the next one they showed had it in the clear. I think that play was doomed no matter what, buddy was right in Favres face. it was gonna be a sack, or fumble in another way....that was just the worst case.

edit, thay HAVE to see and pick up blitzes better.

I agree, he wasn't touched...it just slipped out of his hand as he pulled back.

Packnut
08-29-2006, 11:12 AM
It's obvious that he tried to rush it because a defender came in un-touched. I've watched the play several times and it appears our TE released which allowed the defender to come in untouched. This is the thing that really pisses me off. When you have a lack of talent, you had better teach the mental aspect of the game cause it's all you have.

After all this time in camp, the TE does'nt understand the art of chipping before releasing?

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2006, 01:24 PM

The ball does seem to slip out of his hand more than others, but I wouldn't say he's a fumbler. You compare his fumble rate to other QBs not named Manning (who seldom gets touched), and it's pretty normal. In fact, it's pretty good.

Matt Hasselbeck averages a fumble every 4.28 games
Peyton Manning averages a fumble every 3.20 games
Brett Favre averages a fumble every 2.21 games
Mark Brunell averages a fumble every 2.19 games
Jake Plummer averages a fumble every 2.04 games
Trent Green averages a fumble every 2.00 games
Tom Brady averages a fumble every 1.86 games
Steve McNair averages a fumble every 1.83 games
Donovan McNabb averages a fumble every 1.81 games
Drew Bledsoe averages a fumble every 1.72 games
Kurt Warner averages a fumble every 1.28 games
Michael Vick averages a fumble every 1.26 games
Jake Delhomme averages a fumble every 1.35 games
Daunte Culpepper averages a fumble every 1.03 games

woodbuck27
08-29-2006, 02:28 PM

Did you get Harvey's numbers on your claim Partial? Just in case??

My compliments... to the researcher ... HarveyWallbangers.

That would mean... that only two of today's NFL QB's have a lower fumble rate (better) than Brett Favre, Partial. :mrgreen:

Now why would that be?

It's essentially ALL in the PROTECTION that the OL affords the QB.

Even giving to "the fact " that OUR 2005 season's OL was not as it was in three years previous to 2005. Brett Favre wasn't sacked nearly as much as most QB's, and consequently for reason's inherant in him, he doesn't fumble comparitively as often as many other QB's.

and the rest...

Partial
08-29-2006, 02:35 PM

The ball does seem to slip out of his hand more than others, but I wouldn't say he's a fumbler. You compare his fumble rate to other QBs not named Manning (who seldom gets touched), and it's pretty normal. In fact, it's pretty good.

Harv, are those lost fumbles or just fumbles period?

packrulz
08-29-2006, 02:39 PM
It was very humid there, the close ups showed beads of sweat all over Favres face, the ball might have gotten wet and he lost his grip.

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Harv, are those lost fumbles or just fumbles period?

Total Fumbles (lost or own recovery)

woodbuck27
08-29-2006, 02:54 PM
It was very humid there, the close ups showed beads of sweat all over Favres face, the ball might have gotten wet and he lost his grip.

Some will argue that Carson Palmer played in the same conditions last night as Brett Favre, but Carson Palmer has seen it ( those conditions - maybe ) more than Favre, and has adjusted to (similiar or the same) environmental conditions present last night in Cincinnatti.

Partial
08-29-2006, 02:55 PM

I am not doubting that, I am just saying he does what he did last night a lot. Much more than any qb i've ever seen.

Generally, the fumble occurs when the ball is batted or by a defender or on the snap from center. I find these to rarely be the case with brett.

packrulz
08-29-2006, 03:04 PM

I am not doubting that, I am just saying he does what he did last night a lot. Much more than any qb i've ever seen.

Generally, the fumble occurs when the ball is batted or by a defender or on the snap from center. I find these to rarely be the case with brett.

Oh yes, Brett doesn't protect the ball very well, and you're right, he's had a lot of baffling drops/fumbles/ints but on the replay it looked like he just lost his grip on that one & I thought maybe it was wet from sweat. Woody made a good point though that Palmer didn't have a problem with it.

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Brett doesn't protect the ball very well

I don't agree. He's amongst the lowest among QBs in the league in fumble rate. No doubt he has some bumbling ones. Maybe, if we watched other QBs closely, we might see it happen to them more often. However, he does a good job of protecting the ball in the pocket--probably because of his reportedly large hands.
:D

MJZiggy
08-29-2006, 03:33 PM

I don't agree. He's amongst the lowest among QBs in the league in fumble rate. No doubt he has some bumbling ones. Maybe, if we watched other QBs closely, we might see it happen to them more often. However, he does a good job of protecting the ball in the pocket--probably because of his reportedly large hands.

Large hands, large...oh never mind.

packrulz
08-29-2006, 04:05 PM

I'm not sure what you mean, please tell us. :lol:

woodbuck27
08-29-2006, 04:37 PM

Yaa wha aaaa...what's your point, MJ? :mrgreen:

Tony Oday
08-29-2006, 04:38 PM
Gloves? is Gloves the answer?

MJZiggy
08-29-2006, 04:50 PM

If you need it spelled out, you must have small hands.

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2006, 05:12 PM

I do, but I'm proof that your innuendo is false.

Terry
08-29-2006, 10:33 PM

No, that's OJ's answer. The gloves were too small.

Now I AM embarrassed.

OKC PackerFan
08-29-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm sorry, but that fumble did not look like it just slipped out of his hands. That wasn't just a careless drop or a plain old loose the handle type fumble. It seemed like the ball just squirted staight up about ten feet and back about 5 yards. Oddest fumble I've ever seen.

Scott Campbell
08-29-2006, 11:10 PM

Congratulations tri-pod!

Packers4Ever
08-29-2006, 11:55 PM

My first thought, Partial, is the number of times Brett has injured/reinjured that thumb over 15 years hard use and I come up with a damaged nerve, that would help account for the ball slipping and he may not even realize it's happening if there's no feeling there. Just my line of reasoning.

the_idle_threat
08-30-2006, 01:39 AM
That ball at that time might have been unusually slippery, given that Dexter Jackson dropped it and almost dumbled it during the TD return.

Kiwon
08-30-2006, 06:57 AM
Farve does fumble quite often, but he also has a very unorthodox style as far as quarterbacks go. Overhand, underhand, side-arm, flipping the ball (ala the shuttle pass), throwing from his knees, scrambling and throwing on the run, back peddling and pushing off rushers with one hand - he can do it all. Most of the time he's trying so hard to make a play that he willing to take risks that are unacceptable for other qbs to take.

Nonetheless, that's our Brett. You have to take the bad with the good.

pbmax
08-30-2006, 07:03 AM
It's obvious that he tried to rush it because a defender came in un-touched. I've watched the play several times and it appears our TE released which allowed the defender to come in untouched. This is the thing that really pisses me off. When you have a lack of talent, you had better teach the mental aspect of the game cause it's all you have.

After all this time in camp, the TE does'nt understand the art of chipping before releasing?
Packnut I saw the same thing, it was Bubba who released I believe, running a hot route because he was completely uncovered.

Had Brett sen him, it was 20 yards easy.

But to release from the side of a screen doesn't leave much time for the QB to find you.

woodbuck27
08-30-2006, 07:58 AM

Whooo . . . Sauceee ! :mrgreen: x 10

Merlin
08-30-2006, 08:28 AM
When it comes to Favre, his fumbles always look horrible. Most other QB's, the ball appears to be knocked out, etc. Most of Favre's are his own fault! With that said, Favre has huge hands and one wonders how he could ever let the ball slip. On the other hand, have you ever had a game ball in your hands? They are slippery like a fish. Now imagine trying to catch a fish in the water, it's amazing it doesn't happen more often!

SkinBasket
08-30-2006, 08:40 AM
favre does fumble quite often...

Actually he doesn't - at least in comparison to other NFL QBs. Didn't Harvey cover this on the previous page?

Packers4Ever
08-30-2006, 08:51 PM
favre does fumble quite often, but he also has a very unorthodox style as far as quarterbacks go. Overhand, underhand, side-arm, flipping the ball (ala the shuttle pass), throwing from his knees, scrambling and throwing on the run, back peddling and pushing off rushers with one hand - he can do it all. Most of the time he's trying so hard to make a play that he willing to take risks that are unacceptable for other qbs to take.

Nonetheless, that's our Brett. You have to take the bad with the good.

ROFL !! You didn't miss a thing, Kiwon! :lol:
Yep, that's our Brett !

SD GB fan
08-30-2006, 09:05 PM
i think mike vick or david carr is the king of fumbles.

woodbuck27
08-30-2006, 09:16 PM

Beautiful. :mrgreen:

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2006, 09:28 PM
i think mike vick or david carr is the king of fumbles.

Daunte Culpepper is the current king.

Warren Moon was the all-time king.