PDA

View Full Version : Tretter Possibility for IR-Designated To Return

pbmax
09-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 1h
There you go. RT @RobDemovsky: Alan Herman, @JCTretter's agent: "The timeline is such that it would make sense to designate him for return."

Noodle
09-02-2014, 06:25 PM
So help me out, PB, when's the earliest Tretter could be back?

Joemailman
09-02-2014, 06:42 PM
So help me out, PB, when's the earliest Tretter could be back?

He has to sit out 8 games. Packers have bye week 9. So he would be eligible week 10. he can start practicing after 6 weeks.

HarveyWallbangers
09-02-2014, 06:57 PM
At this point in the season, what's the rush to use it? Anybody they sign will probably be one of the inactives, right?

Joemailman
09-02-2014, 07:00 PM
At this point in the season, what's the rush to use it? Anybody they sign will probably be one of the inactives, right?

Unless they activate Gerhart off the PS to be the backup Center. That way they wouldn't have to move Lang or Sitton if Linsley gets hurt.

pittstang5
09-02-2014, 07:02 PM
He has to sit out 8 games. Packers have bye week 9. So he would be eligible week 10. he can start practicing after 6 weeks.

Hmmmm.....

So he'd be available, at most, for the final 8 games. Gee, that's a tough one. If the med staff thinks he'd be back and playing by say week 4-6, I'm not sure I'd put him on IR to return. That's just me though.

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2014, 07:04 PM
8 games is a lot.
If Linsley plays well and improves game-to-game, they might just stick with him as the starter. Tretter is effectively a rookie too.

gbgary
09-02-2014, 07:15 PM
hate to see them use that so early. it might come in handy later. guess they want to bring someone up.

Bossman641
09-02-2014, 07:31 PM
WTF, didn't MM just say the other day Tretter wasn't a candidate for IR return?

smuggler
09-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Don't like it to use on Tretter. He doesn't have to step right into the starting role after four weeks, but having him available as the backup is much more ideal than Gerhart...

HarveyWallbangers
09-02-2014, 07:37 PM
I'd think at the end of the season would be the time you'd want that extra roster spot.

KYPack
09-02-2014, 07:39 PM

I heard that too, Boss.

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2014, 09:19 PM
I'd think at the end of the season would be the time you'd want that extra roster spot.

I don't think when you use it matters. All 16 games count the same. The non-season-ending injuries aren't particularly clustered anywhere.

I think the way to maximize the use of the return IR is to use it on a guy whose injury takes a full 6 weeks to heal. They are allowed to practice after 6 weeks, then play in games two weeks after that. Tretter's injury probably fits that time window well.

I wonder if Linsley will be better or worse than EDS from last season.

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Don't like it to use on Tretter. He doesn't have to step right into the starting role after four weeks, but having him available as the backup is much more ideal than Gerhart...

If they thought he would be in game form after 4 weeks they wouldn't have used the return IR on him.

pbmax
09-02-2014, 09:29 PM

Yep.

Does IR - designated to return start clicking Week 1 or is it eight weeks from the date of placement (so Week 3 move to IT-DTR gets practice Week 9, active Week 11).

texaspackerbacker
09-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Was there a setback or something? The original report was 4-6 weeks from the injury - possibility to come back the 3rd regular season game. Apparently Linsley is doing well enough that getting Tretter back is not urgent, but a delay like they're talking about now would seem to either indicate the injury is worse or else be unnecessarily dragged out.

mission
09-02-2014, 10:24 PM
I'd hate to use is it so early and we don't really know the injury timeline apparently. Tretter isn't proven yet and maybe Linsey is actually a player. There is basically nothing known here except practices and some preseason film.
Obviously Linsey could tank and it would backfire.

Maybe he just meant the Packers weren't looking at him as a candidate for that designation. I didn't hear or read the quote myself, just thinking...

smuggler
09-02-2014, 10:39 PM
He hurt it in the 3rd preseason game. The Seahawks game will make 2 weeks. 5 weeks will be passed at the conclusion of the week 4 game

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2014, 12:08 AM
He hurt it in the 3rd preseason game. The Seahawks game will make 2 weeks. 5 weeks will be passed at the conclusion of the week 4 game
The recovery time estimates we hear are just guesses. Those estimates can change again. Tretter has some sort off stress fracture in his knee. That's kind of an oddball injury.

I think it was Cobb who had a stress fracture in foot last year where recovery time was double the initial estimate.

pbmax
09-03-2014, 09:41 AM
I think Tretter's agent gave a timeline, basically two possibilities, here is one:

Tretter suffered an impaction fracture in his left knee during the team’s Aug. 22 preseason game against Oakland and has already been ruled out for Thursday's opener at Seattle. An NFL source said last week that Tretter was told by the medical staff that he was likely to miss up to six weeks because of the injury.

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/page.php?page_id=278

Looking for the actual quote from Herman prior to full diagnosis. BTW, I think six weeks is probably the current number.

pbmax
09-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Same article, IR-DTR is, no matter the designation date, 6 weeks before proacticing, 8 weeks to return as active.

Can't find Herman's original quote but I think it was either 3-6 or 6-8 depending on exact details. Looks like Tretter lucked out a bit at six weeks.

hoosier
09-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Tretter suffered an impaction fracture in his left knee during the team’s Aug. 22 preseason game against Oakland and has already been ruled out for Thursday's opener at Seattle. An NFL source said last week that Tretter was told by the medical staff that he was likely to miss up to six weeks because of the injury.

Impaction fracture can't be right. I thought I read hairline somewhere. Impacted would be season ending (unless you're a small animal):
An impacted fracture implies a fracture in which a bony fragment, generally cortical, is forced or impacted into cancellous bone. Typically this occurs at the ends of long bones. Reduction of such fractures requires traction to disengage the fragments and fixation to hold the fragments apart. If, after fracture, malalignment is untreated, bone shortening will occur because one end has impacted into the other. This is an uncommon fracture in small animals.

http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/saortho/chapter_11/11mast.htm

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Tretter still hasn't been put on IR, he's using up a roster spot. You'd think they'd do that quickly if they were decided.

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Tretter still hasn't been put on IR, he's using up a roster spot. You'd think they'd do that quickly if they were decided.

It's a done deal according to some tweet by one of the local writers.

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Demovsky is reporting it now.

As expected, the Green Bay Packers placed center JC Tretter on the temporary injured reserve list, according to a league source.

The Packers promoted center Garth Gerhart from the practice squad to take Tretter's spot on the 53-man roster, but rookie Corey Linsley will start at center on Thursday against the Seahawks.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2014, 04:37 PM
I feel so primitive with my netscape 2.0 browser. I wonder if twitter will run on my computer.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2014, 05:50 PM
They promoted Gerhart to the active roster. That guy is the real Refrigerator.

This opens spot on practice squad.

pbmax
09-03-2014, 10:20 PM
They promoted Gerhart to the active roster. That guy is the real Refrigerator.

This opens spot on practice squad.

Gillette perhaps, if they don't need something else this week.

Patler
09-03-2014, 11:02 PM
Gillette perhaps, if they don't need something else this week.

They signed Josh Allen to the practice squad. He is a guard released by the Bucs. I think he was the first guy reported to have been brought in for a tryout.

Fritz
09-04-2014, 03:30 PM
I hope Gerhart doesnt see any game action. At all!