PDA

View Full Version : Cut Brad Jones

Tony Oday
09-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Or shoot him? Wow pathetic play. Hawk was bad but Jones was God Awful.

King Friday
09-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Some very dumb plays tonight by several people. Daniels thinking he was capable of blocking a punt was probably the worst. Brad Jones clearly wanted several entries in the contest for the night's worst. Overall, it wasn't exactly a convincing showing for a defense that is in a make-or-break year.

George Cumby
09-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Only if it's a package deal with Capers.

The talent is there, but they don't execute. That's on the coaches.

Bossman641
09-04-2014, 10:49 PM
Trying to think of a single D player who played well and I'm struggling. I guess CM3. Everyone else had a bad play for every good play they had...or Brad Jones had a bad play.

Rutnstrut
09-04-2014, 10:49 PM
For my thoughts on Jones, just read my signature.

mission
09-04-2014, 11:35 PM
Jones was absolutely horrendous. Forget the penalties. Shit, his worst plays are ones where he didn't even get a hand on someone dead to rights. Guy is pitiful and I didn't see 58 or 57 get a single rep. That's gotta be on the coaches there. Give someone else an opportunity.

denverYooper
09-04-2014, 11:41 PM
Some very dumb plays tonight by several people. Daniels thinking he was capable of blocking a punt was probably the worst. Brad Jones clearly wanted several entries in the contest for the night's worst. Overall, it wasn't exactly a convincing showing for a defense that is in a make-or-break year.

Man, that Daniels play set the tone for crucial dumb plays.

denverYooper
09-04-2014, 11:45 PM
Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard 2m
The Packers' defense was basically shell shocked after the game. They were at a loss to explain that performance.

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard 1m
Linebacker Brad Jones was visibly shaken. Never seen him like that.

Of course, Greg hasn't been on the Packers beat for a few years, so maybe that's just Jones's normal look these days.

Striker
09-04-2014, 11:47 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 2m
#Packers DE @Mike_Daniels76: "I want to spit on the way I played. It was a pitiful performance. I know I can do way better than that."

Striker
09-04-2014, 11:49 PM
The Packers' defense was basically shell shocked after the game. They were at a loss to explain that performance.

Of course, Greg hasn't been on the Packers beat for a few years, so maybe that's just Jones's normal look these days.

Maybe Jones knows he's about to lose his job...

esoxx
09-04-2014, 11:50 PM

The D performance is very worrisome. Facing some strong offenses and some premier players in Marshall, Jeffrey, Megatron, AP, in the division.
How bad with Brady carve up this D when they meet in Lambeau later this season?
Get your shit together Stubby & Capers.
And if Slocum were an honorable man, he would submit his resignation this evening. Let Zook take over.

Bossman641
09-04-2014, 11:58 PM
The D performance is very worrisome. Facing some strong offenses and some premier players in Marshall, Jeffrey, Megatron, AP, in the division.
How bad with Brady carve up this D when they meet in Lambeau later this season?
Get your shit together Stubby & Capers.
And if Slocum were an honorable man, he would submit his resignation this evening. Let Zook take over.

As a UIUC alum this deeply troubles me

pbmax
09-05-2014, 01:33 AM

The punt block attempt was amazing. There is no reason to risk it from straight on when you are getting the ball back and its less than 4th and 5.

He had to be so excited to be there that he couldn't help himself. Maybe starters in special teams is not the best idea in all cases.

pbmax
09-05-2014, 01:34 AM
As a UIUC alum this deeply troubles me

Wasn't Zook a Peter Principle casualty, and competent through being a D coordinator?

Pugger
09-05-2014, 01:49 AM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 2m
#Packers DE @Mike_Daniels76: "I want to spit on the way I played. It was a pitiful performance. I know I can do way better than that."

He couldn't have been much worse...

Brandon494
09-05-2014, 06:02 AM
Fucking sucks having two finesse players at ILB...we need a run stuffing ILB like Bishop on this defense.

Iron Mike
09-05-2014, 06:55 AM
Miss me yet??

http://www.totalpackers.com/images/desmondbishop.jpg

Tony Oday
09-05-2014, 06:58 AM
Bishop couldn't make the Vikings...

Bossman641
09-05-2014, 07:03 AM
While a run stuffing MLB would certainly help, it would help more to not have Guion get driven off the ball down after down

3irty1
09-05-2014, 07:08 AM
You can suck or you can be hurt all the time but you can't be both!

wist43
09-05-2014, 08:47 AM
As bad as Hawk and Jones were last year... they both looked worse last night.

They showed a replay of Hawk trying to get out in the flat to cover a TE (I think)... he stumbled and bumbled - looked like he had cement in his shoes, while all the Seahawk were running circles around him.

Even you homers saw how inept the ILB's were last year - but this is on TT and Dunderdummy for even having those guys still on the team. Obviously TT and Dunderdummy feel that Hawk and Jones are competent starters - when in fact they aren't even backup calibur NFL players anymore. It's obvious to everyone but them.

George Cumby
09-05-2014, 09:18 AM
You can suck or you can be hurt all the time but you can't be both!

Oh ye of little faith. Give them some time and they'll find a way.

Bretsky
09-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Addition by subtraction is the solution for Just a Guy Jones
But some reason TT must cherish the guy cuz he grossly overpaid him.
Thanksted

Rastak
09-05-2014, 07:03 PM

Yes he did, he tore his ACL midseason as they moved him into a starting role.

pittstang5
09-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Anyone see this from McCarthy's Presser:

"(Brad Jones) Not have his best game. Quad injury."

IF HE'S NURSING A QUAD INJURY, WHY IS HE PLAYING!!!

George Cumby
09-05-2014, 10:52 PM

He meant brain injury, dude was playing like a lobotomized porpoise out there.

Bretsky
09-05-2014, 11:13 PM

because tt and mm think brad jones at 75 percent is better than the next best guy.......lol

smuggler
09-06-2014, 11:30 AM
I wasnt as negative on Jones as some of you were, but even I agree he has to go. He's lost his starting job and he has little value as a backup. Bring up someone with room to improve to replace him. If the coaching staff cannot see it, they also need to be replaced.

Pugger
09-06-2014, 01:04 PM

I was thinking the same thing...

Rastak
09-06-2014, 02:42 PM
I was thinking the same thing...

Must have been an impostor laying on the turf with a torn ACL last year. He had Bishop on the back of his jersey and answered to Desmond. The impostor left as an unrestricted free agent and signed with Arizona this summer.....not sure if he got cut or not.

Guiness
09-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Must have been an impostor laying on the turf with a torn ACL last year. He had Bishop on the back of his jersey and answered to Desmond. The impostor left as an unrestricted free agent and signed with Arizona this summer.....not sure if he got cut or not.

Nope, he made the squad. Pretty dinged up body, wonder how well he'll hold together.

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2014, 04:56 PM

You want Guion back? Easy terms.

Rastak
09-06-2014, 06:20 PM
You want Guion back? Easy terms.

You guys should cut that guy and sign Fred Evans, who the Vikings cut in the last cutdowns. He consistently outplayed Guion here.

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2014, 06:45 PM
You guys should cut that guy and sign Fred Evans, who the Vikings cut in the last cutdowns. He consistently outplayed Guion here.

If I'm not mistaken, he's a lot older.

Sort of like the old joke about the bad restaurant, "The food is terrible but the portions are generous."
Guion offers a more extended service.

How about a Sherrod sweetner with Guion? Guion's got a lot of mileage left, ya know.

Patler
09-06-2014, 06:48 PM
I winder what TT saw in Guion?

Bretsky
09-06-2014, 06:55 PM
a cheap backup I'd guess

pbmax
09-06-2014, 07:32 PM
a cheap backup I'd guess

Precisely. He isn't supposed to be starting. The one thing Raji had going for him during his first contract was availability.

red
09-06-2014, 07:38 PM
I winder what TT saw in Guion?

many of us thought he was nothing more then camp fodder

its shocking he's now a starter

Bretsky
09-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Didn't I see one of those ex Vikings Williams NG's was rotating in and playing for Seattle ?
John Schneider has done a masterful job of plugging holes with those type of guys to build around his drafts

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2014, 09:02 PM
Didn't I see one of those ex Vikings Williams NG's was rotating in and playing for Seattle ?

I think Kevin Williams started, I saw him out there a lot. He's really old.

Rastak
09-06-2014, 09:10 PM

He is but he played pretty well last year.

Patler
09-06-2014, 09:40 PM
a cheap backup I'd guess

Precisely. He isn't supposed to be starting. The one thing Raji had going for him during his first contract was availability.

With as few DL as they normally keep, and their professed intention to limit Raji's snaps, they had to expect his backup to play regularly. You don't sign a guy who has been in the league six years, with 28 starts the last two years, and not intend to play him.

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2014, 10:11 PM
He didn't get much more than the vet minimum. I'm not sure they felt he was a sure thing to even make the roster.

Patler
09-06-2014, 10:35 PM
a cheap backup I'd guess

He didn't get much more than the vet minimum. I'm not sure they felt he was a sure thing to even make the roster.

But they didn't give themselves many alternatives to him either. They didn't pay him much, but I think they expected him to fill a role. He still might, but so far it is hard to see.

Joemailman
09-06-2014, 11:16 PM
It's a little early to judge Guion. He didn't practice until a few days before the final preseason game. He may still be getting into shape. Which makes the decision to have active only 4 D-linemen all the more perplexing.

Pugger
09-07-2014, 12:39 AM
It's a little early to judge Guion. He didn't practice until a few days before the final preseason game. He may still be getting into shape. Which makes the decision to have active only 4 D-linemen all the more perplexing.

I think we forget he didn't play or practice much in TC. Maybe he'll play better next week against NY.

I do agree, only having 4 D-linemen active was dumb.

Patler
09-07-2014, 12:51 AM

Didn't forget it, that was part of the problem. They said he came to one of the off season camps well overweight and in bad condition, then trying to make up for it before training camp, he hurt himself. The fact he wasn't able to practice in TC is not an excuse, it is a root of the problem, and he is at fault for it.

Pugger
09-07-2014, 12:54 AM
I wonder if we would have kept Guion on the 53 had Raji not got hurt. :sad:

Patler
09-07-2014, 02:08 AM
I wonder if we would have kept Guion on the 53 had Raji not got hurt. :sad:

Good Question. I also wonder what Sherrod's roster fate might have been if Barclay hadn't been injured. I tend to think they would have kept Sherrod, but at whose expense? Goodsen, I suspect.

Patler
09-07-2014, 07:21 AM

Nope, he made the squad. Pretty dinged up body, wonder how well he'll hold together.

Bishop didn't make it to the first game. Arizona released him yesterday:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Cardinals-cut-linebacker-Desmond-Bishop.html

I wonder if this was just to eliminate the guarantee of his salary, and they will sign him again after game #1 ?

Striker
09-07-2014, 07:22 AM

I think they went 4 active DL because they played a 4-3/nickel that had OLBs Peppers and Neal move up to the DE spots.

KYPack
09-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Bishop didn't make it to the first game. Arizona released him yesterday:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Cardinals-cut-linebacker-Desmond-Bishop.html

I wonder if this was just to eliminate the guarantee of his salary, and they will sign him again after game #1 ?

Could well be a salary move. The Cards desperately need backers.

I really liked Bishop. He's a lunch pail player, tough, hard working, a real banger. Too bad he's all hit out, he deserved more pay days than it's looks like he's gonna get.

Rutnstrut
09-07-2014, 11:12 AM

Still better than any D lineman on the packer roster, including a healthy Raji.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2014, 02:55 PM
I think we need to give Brad Jones the benefit of the doubt, it does sound like he played injured last week.

Still, how did that happen? There was a healthy, decent player sitting on the bench.

Pugger
09-11-2014, 03:35 PM
I think we need to give Brad Jones the benefit of the doubt, it does sound like he played injured last week.

Still, how did that happen? There was a healthy, decent player sitting on the bench.

If Jones was hurting out there why did he play so much? Pretty damn stupid if you ask me.

Rutnstrut
09-11-2014, 04:53 PM

Jones sucks donkey balls when he's at 110%, so if he was out there injured that proves even more how inept this coaching staff is.

Joemailman
09-11-2014, 09:07 PM

Desmond Bishop need a season ending injury to Nick Barnett before he got a chance to start. Not that I would wish for Jones to get hurt or anything...

smuggler
09-12-2014, 02:14 AM
Looking more and more like Pennel will be active and taking snaps v the Jets.

Joemailman
09-12-2014, 08:11 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-bryan-bulaga-might-be-ready-to-start-against-jets-b99349576z1-274851521.html

Linebacker Brad Jones (thigh) did not practice and probably won't play against the Jets. Defensive coordinator Dom Capers said that Jamari Lattimore was likely to fill in for Jones.

This happened last year, and Lattimore had a mix of good and bad plays. Hope he takes advantage of the opportunity.

Tony Oday
09-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Lattimore could go out there and literally take a dump on the 50 yard line and I would call that a better game than Jones.

Joemailman
09-12-2014, 02:15 PM
MM on Lattimore:

"Jamari is a heck of a football player. He has great passion. I thought the practice yesterday was a lot of fun. From the energy standpoint, he’s a part of that. He brings a lot to the table. He excelled on special teams early. We had him playing outside linebacker in part of that cross-training effort to give players more opportunity, create more value for themselves. But he’s very natural inside. He’s played good football for us. So I have a ton of confidence in Jamari. ...

"It’s a big opportunity. I would think anytime you get a chance to go and perform, if you perform at a high level, you don’t want to give that spot back. I think that’s the part of injury. You look at the history of the National Football League, some of the greatest careers were started because of an injury in front of that particular player. This is a big opportunity."

HarveyWallbangers
09-12-2014, 02:23 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-bryan-bulaga-might-be-ready-to-start-against-jets-b99349576z1-274851521.html

This happened last year, and Lattimore had a mix of good and bad plays. Hope he takes advantage of the opportunity.

I think there was more good than bad. He is the most consistent, but at least he seems like he has some playmaking ability.

Joemailman
09-12-2014, 02:30 PM
I think there was more good than bad. He is the most consistent, but at least he seems like he has some playmaking ability.

He had a couple sacks last year, as well as some other nice plays. He also had a few plays where he didn't maintain gap discipline. I hope he's learned from some of his mistakes, because I think he has some upside. I'm rooting for him. Like most here, I'm tired of the mediocrity (at best) at ILB.

red
09-12-2014, 04:48 PM
MM on Lattimore:

just bringing passion is a huge improvement over jones.

i will never forget the dallas game at halftime when the whole team ran into the locker room fired up at halftime, except jones, he looked like he could care less

Joemailman
09-12-2014, 06:23 PM
just bringing passion is a huge improvement over jones.

i will never forget the dallas game at halftime when the whole team ran into the locker room fired up at halftime, except jones, he looked like he could care less

They were fired up at halftime? They were behind 26-3.

Bretsky
09-12-2014, 07:28 PM
been saying Jones is junk for years now; not many GM's and coaches would live what that play

red
09-12-2014, 08:57 PM
They were fired up at halftime? They were behind 26-3.

maybe it was after the game when they were all fired up but him

i remember cobb going nuts and he didnt play

Joemailman
09-12-2014, 09:56 PM
maybe it was after the game when they were all fired up but him

i remember cobb going nuts and he didnt play

Yeah, here you go. http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Packers-locker-room-erupts-after-comeback-in-Big-D/e88467e7-700e-4b8f-9121-c3786cc124f6

Jones doesn't seem very happy. He's the only one who doesn't say anything to the camera coming into the locker room.

Rutnstrut
09-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Jones is just absolutely worthless, even more proof that Capers is an idiot.

gbgary
09-13-2014, 05:33 PM
hope lattimore plays well. we something more from that position.

VegasPackFan
09-14-2014, 01:26 AM
Love some of these Jones comments - they are cracking me up. Lobotomized porpoise? LOL

wist43
09-14-2014, 07:45 AM
Jones flashed some ability a few years ago... so we all thought he needed to be given a chance to see if he could develop - we have our answer, he can't.

As bad as Jones has been, Hawk has probably been worse.

If armchair nation can see it, how is it that it escapes people who are paid millions of dollars to account for such things??

The defense is hopeless - and as much as I rail against dunderdummy, TT and MM are every bit as much to blame; afterall, it is they who have ultimate responsibility and insist on sticking with this losing formula.

3irty1
09-14-2014, 08:11 AM
Jones flashed some ability a few years ago... so we all thought he needed to be given a chance to see if he could develop - we have our answer, he can't.

As bad as Jones has been, Hawk has probably been worse.

If armchair nation can see it, how is it that it escapes people who are paid millions of dollars to account for such things??

The defense is hopeless - and as much as I rail against dunderdummy, TT and MM are every bit as much to blame; afterall, it is they who have ultimate responsibility and insist on sticking with this losing formula.

Over the same time period that Jones has been starting Hawk had the best season of his career. Hawk's an average player but his consistency and durability are the only consistency or durability this team has. There are a couple other dudes that need to go before Hawk IMO.

Rastak
09-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Over the same time period that Jones has been starting Hawk had the best season of his career. Hawk's an average player but his consistency and durability are the only consistency or durability this team has. There are a couple other dudes that need to go before Hawk IMO.

Hawk was Chad Greenway bad last week per PFF.

Last week

Pos. Name Rating
*RCB *Sam Shields 3.2
*RE *Mike Daniels 2.8
*RE *Josh Boyd 1.1
*LCB *Tramon Williams 0.7
*LOLB*Nick Perry 0.2
*SS *Ha Ha Clinton-Dix -0.4
*SS *Micah Hyde -1.2
*LE *Datone Jones -1.4
*NT *Letroy Guion -1.8
*LOLB*Clay Matthews -2.2
*FS *Morgan Burnett -2.4
*ROLBJulius Peppers -2.4
*SCB *Casey Hayward -2.5
*ROLB Mike Neal -2.9
*LILOL AJ. Hawk** -4.1
*RILB Brad Jones** -5.8

Joemailman
09-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Hawk was Chad Greenway bad last week per PFF.

Last week

Pos. Name Rating
*RCB *Sam Shields 3.2
*RE *Mike Daniels 2.8
*RE *Josh Boyd 1.1
*LCB *Tramon Williams 0.7
*LOLB*Nick Perry 0.2
*SS *Ha Ha Clinton-Dix -0.4
*SS *Micah Hyde -1.2
*LE *Datone Jones -1.4
*NT *Letroy Guion -1.8
*LOLB*Clay Matthews -2.2
*FS *Morgan Burnett -2.4
*ROLBJulius Peppers -2.4
*SCB *Casey Hayward -2.5
*ROLB Mike Neal -2.9
*LILOL AJ. Hawk** -4.1
*RILB Brad Jones** -5.8

Those are some ugly ILB numbers.

pbmax
09-14-2014, 09:31 AM
Those are some ugly ILB numbers.

Those are ugly front 7 numbers and you can add Burnett.