PDA

View Full Version : Soft & behind the times

Armed Rodgery
09-05-2014, 03:03 PM
This is my first post here. I needed a place to vent, since the old Journal/Sentinel forums were shut down and heard great things about this forum.

Now my issue with the Packers is how soft we are and my theory on why. It seems, well it doesnt seem, its an actual fact that EVERY year we are injured all over the place, shuffling around the O-line like musical chairs already. Guards playing tackle, tackles playing guard, defensive players always injured, this guy, that guy, always hurt. Heres my theory on why.

Green Bay is a small community and not really alot of room for guys to act up in that town and it not get all over the news, so they draft a certain type of guy, less edge, less outspoken, less brash, less nastiness and that shows in the product we put on the field, look at Sea. and SF. just mean nasty hard hitting mofo's, fast, hard hitting, always pumped up.

Green Bay players softer, quieter, sure Clay does his "stuff" but other than him its a bunch of softer type guys, even the defensive we play is non-confrontational. Let the guy catch the ball, we'll tackle him later, let him make enough yards for the first down, we'll tackle him later. Last night one guy tried to tackle Beast Mode by grabbing his jersey (at least he ripped it as he ran for the TD, take THAT Lynch!!)

These guys are great in the community, and Im sure the locker room is a awesome environment, probably no cursing or horseplay. That will buy us nice seasons but its always going to end in defeat at the hands of these nasty teams like SF and Sea,

No I dont want criminals like SF has but I dont want this bland bunch of softies either.

Why didnt Sea have a bunch of guys knocked out...because we didnt knock them out..we couldnt.

My second theory is that we need to get new trainers in here with new methods or training programs, why dont other teams have the same injuries that we have..we have an INSANE number every year, even the Superbowl year, Its time to tear up that old weightlifting notebook that was passed down to us from Bill Walsh and all his disciples and get some new methods in GB.

Thoughts?

wist43
09-05-2014, 03:09 PM
Welcome aboard...

This is a good place to vent, lol :)

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Incognito could be the missing ingredient

Lang to RT.

Bossman641
09-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Welcome aboard

Regardless of what's happening with the injuries I think they need to let the medical and strength staffs go. I just want change for the sake of change

Armed Rodgery
09-05-2014, 03:26 PM
Incognito could be the missing ingredient

Lang to RT.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing in the shower (where I have my greatest ideas) this morning... The only thing with him is he has alot of N-word baggage which might make a weird locker room dynamic, and loves to party he wouldnt make it in GB. But we need guys like him Incognito Lite.

George Cumby
09-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Good first post, but you are a liar. No one says good things about this place. :razz:

I agree with both points. I think the team is complacent, they are too comfortable as they lounge in the adoration of their fans. They need to be shook up.

I would love to see the entire training staff go. They clearly do not know what they are doing as they have yet to unfuck what ails this team. The injuries are no longer statistical anomalies. There is something seriously wrong here.

MadtownPacker
09-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Welcome Rodgery, great first post and I agree, the Pack got treated like Seattle's prison bitch last night. All this Packers people bullshit needs to stop.

This might as well have been last night.
http://th01.deviantart.net/fs71/300W/i/2012/029/6/e/hbo__s_oz__schillinger_broke_his_prag_by_korymisun-d4o2cka.jpg

George Cumby
09-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Bring back Jolly. This team needs an edge. Not a bunch of thugs, but a couple of mean motherfuckers on both sides of the ball that can set the tone by smashing you in the face. I'm fine with Incognito, anything, just shake shit up a little because this shit isn't working.

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2014, 05:15 PM
This might as well have been last night.
http://th01.deviantart.net/fs71/300W/i/2012/029/6/e/hbo__s_oz__schillinger_broke_his_prag_by_korymisun-d4o2cka.jpg

You shouldn't share your selfies on the internet, could get back to your boss at the landscaping service

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Bring back Jolly. This team needs an edge. Not a bunch of thugs, but a couple of mean motherfuckers on both sides of the ball that can set the tone by smashing you in the face. I'm fine with Incognito, anything, just shake shit up a little because this shit isn't working.

I'd be OK with Incognito. Ya, he's a racist homophobe, but he'd be our racist homophobe. He's been so disgraced that it's not likely he's going to lead any bullying. Bring the good ole boy in, God knows another starter is needed for depth.
I think ex-cons should be hired, even those convicted by the media.

Bretsky
09-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Where the hell is Desmond Bishop anyways. Even if he's drunk in some downtown bar he could still function better than our ILB's..........we need some nasty !

Freak Out
09-05-2014, 06:41 PM
We need a Sean Jones 2.0.

TravisWilliams23
09-05-2014, 08:13 PM
Wayne Simmons 2.0

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2014, 08:16 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/JustJaymo/Gross.jpg

How about Grossberger from "Stir Crazy"

I recently figured out that I wrestled that guy in college. But nobody would believe such a story.

He was Dutch, weighed 420 lbs at time, was an internationally famous opera star, had a genius IQ and wrestled for M.I.T.
He lost some weight and made the Olympic team as an alternate.

denverYooper
09-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Don't want Incognito. Besides being a dick, he's not very good. That Dolphins line was horrendous last year before the soap opera started.

denverYooper
09-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Daniels was trying to be aggressive and he gifted Seattle 3 points.

There's aggressive and then there's undisciplined. I don't think the Packers know the difference. Seattle does.

red
09-05-2014, 08:45 PM
I was thinking the EXACT same thing in the shower (where I have my greatest ideas) this morning... The only thing with him is he has alot of N-word baggage which might make a weird locker room dynamic, and loves to party he wouldnt make it in GB. But we need guys like him Incognito Lite.

perfect, theres barely any blacks on the offense to upset

red
09-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Bring back Jolly. This team needs an edge. Not a bunch of thugs, but a couple of mean motherfuckers on both sides of the ball that can set the tone by smashing you in the face.

abso-fucking-lutely, we could really use the fire jolly brings

denverYooper
09-05-2014, 08:53 PM
I would love to see Jolly back if the neck is ok.

pbmax
09-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Fire?! This team needs fire?!

Fire got you Daniels fantastic punt block penalty. Fire got you Hayward's face mask on Wilson. Fire got you over pursuit and huge yardage on the counters.

This defense needs a brain.

But if they are going to line up in a 4-3, they could use Wayne Simmons 2.0 to line up over the TE.

Cheesehead Craig
09-05-2014, 10:00 PM
That was pretty cool when Perry knocked that TE Allen down right at the line of scrimmage to ruin his route.

pbmax
09-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Defensive Alignment:

Although the Packers were in their traditional 3-4 defense on the Seahawks' first play from scrimmage, they used a 4-3 most of the time as their base look. Nose tackle Letroy Guion departed from the 3-4, and Mike Neal came in to join Julius Peppers at defensive end, with Matthews playing outside linebacker.

McGinn said this was the new base after one play in 3-4.

Neal - Jones - Daniels - Peppers
Jones - Hawk - Matthews
Williams - Hyde - Burnet - Shields

Anyone have the lineup for the nickel?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/273960821.html

pbmax
09-05-2014, 10:02 PM
That was pretty cool when Perry knocked that TE Allen down right at the line of scrimmage to ruin his route.

If they are going to play a SAM linebacker, Perry might fit the bill more than Jones.

denverYooper
09-06-2014, 07:47 AM
Greg Cosell piece Seattle's deception from Thursday: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/greg-cosell-s-film-review--seattle-and-its-deceptive-college-based-offense-211356185.html

Behind the times indeed.

Carolina_Packer
09-06-2014, 08:15 AM
Greg Cosell piece Seattle's deception from Thursday: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/greg-cosell-s-film-review--seattle-and-its-deceptive-college-based-offense-211356185.html

Behind the times indeed.

That was a pretty good break down of what happened by Cosell. Save for the big plays, this game reminded me of the 49'ers playoff loss two years ago when Cap ran all over the field. It wasn't 579 or whatever that figure was, but the results were about the same as far as the defense being able to diagnose and react to plays. In both games they always looked caught "in between", like a hitter who half commits his swing because he can't pickup the ball well coming out of the pitcher's hand.

So now it's the age-old debate/discussion about whether the problem is scheme-related, talent-related, or some of both. Rage on.

Pugger
09-06-2014, 08:50 AM

Perry actually made a couple of plays the other night. I hope it is a sign of things to come.

Maxie the Taxi
09-06-2014, 08:59 AM

Behind the times indeed.

The "deception" included the Seattle center blocking downfield on the Lockette pass. The block downfield, which is a universal and immediate "run read," was never penalized: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap3000000389713/Was-Seahawks-touchdown-legal

pbmax
09-06-2014, 09:04 AM
The "deception" included the Seattle center blocking downfield on the Lockette pass. The block downfield, which is a universal and immediate "run read," was never penalized: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap3000000389713/Was-Seahawks-touchdown-legal

Its been a bone of contention among defensive coaches for a long time, college and pro. Any run/pass read can feature that easily and it doesn't get called.

Maxie the Taxi
09-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Its been a bone of contention among defensive coaches for a long time, college and pro. Any run/pass read can feature that easily and it doesn't get called.

But it does get called....sometimes...which is worse than not calling it ever. Either make it a rule or not.

wist43
09-06-2014, 09:35 AM
Defensive Alignment:

McGinn said this was the new base after one play in 3-4.

Neal - Jones - Daniels - Peppers
Jones - Hawk - Matthews
Williams - Hyde - Burnet - Shields

Anyone have the lineup for the nickel?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/273960821.html

Over in the thread I started on defense, I broke down the alignments, but I didn't count LB's... was in a hurry, and just assumed that the players lurking behind the line were 2 LB's and the rest DB's. The "line" itself was comprised of only 2 down linemen, so without counting LB's and identifying who was actually on the field, the alignment looked like a 2-4.

So if that is the case, dunderdummy was running a 2-5 some of the time - predictably, they got completely run over. Our LB's suck, so why bend over backward to ensure that they are on the field 24/7?? The 2-5 was completely ineffetive when Fritz Shurmer introduced back in the 80's - it's still ineffective, and has no place in the NFL as a base.

Capers gameplan was a joke, and only 4 DL active was a joke... this defensive coaching staff has no idea what it is doing, and TT is okay apparently okay with that.

wist43
09-06-2014, 09:48 AM

In days gone by, that penalty would have been called by the umpire when he was situated in the middle of the field at LB depth... he was responsible for holding and illegal linemen downfield, and he was right in the thick of it. He could see what was happening very well.

Now the umpire is in the offensive backfield... can't see that penalty as easily, if at all.

I was not a fan of moving the umpire out of the middle like that... really takes away from the game in IMO.

pbmax
09-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Over in the thread I started on defense, I broke down the alignments, but I didn't count LB's... was in a hurry, and just assumed that the players lurking behind the line were 2 LB's and the rest DB's. The "line" itself was comprised of only 2 down linemen, so without counting LB's and identifying who was actually on the field, the alignment looked like a 2-4.

So if that is the case, dunderdummy was running a 2-5 some of the time - predictably, they got completely run over. Our LB's suck, so why bend over backward to ensure that they are on the field 24/7?? The 2-5 was completely ineffetive when Fritz Shurmer introduced back in the 80's - it's still ineffective, and has no place in the NFL as a base.

Capers gameplan was a joke, and only 4 DL active was a joke... this defensive coaching staff has no idea what it is doing, and TT is okay apparently okay with that.

But if Neal or Perry and Peppers at the DEs in that alignment, its not size causing the problem. That is a good sized four man line with some pass rush. Your lightest guy is edge rushing Perry at 270. 3 tech tackle is 285, NT is 300+ and Peppers is 280.

The only question is 2 or 3 point stance. I think this may still point to terrible run fits by the entire 7 man front.

wist43
09-06-2014, 10:38 AM
But if Neal or Perry and Peppers at the DEs in that alignment, its not size causing the problem. That is a good sized four man line with some pass rush. Your lightest guy is edge rushing Perry at 270. 3 tech tackle is 285, NT is 300+ and Peppers is 280.

The only question is 2 or 3 point stance. I think this may still point to terrible run fits by the entire 7 man front.

Playing in a 2 or 3 point stance matters - it matters a lot. With your hand in the dirt, you are in a sprinters stance and ready to fire out hard and low; if it is a run, you have leverage and power. Standing up, you are fractionally slower to react off of the snap (unless you anticipate it very well), and if it is a run, you are standing taller when you engage the OL, thereby surrendering leverage.

Dunderdummy should just quit playing gimmicks up front and go to a 4-3 full time now... we don't have the players to run a 3-4; and we don't have the LB's to run a 2-5; and of course the 2-4 has been proven over and over again to be a complete disaster.

I don't know how anyone can look at what Capers is, and has been doing, and conclude that he is even remotely capable of continuing to run an NFL defense - the guy needs to be fired immediately, and let the chips fall where they may for the rest of the season.

The season is already wasted - given that what they changed in the offseason was for the worse, so go ahead and cut your losses now, get rid of the cancer, salvage what you can of this season, and look to rebuild/retool for '15.

Note: I think we could reconnoiter on defense this year - but that simply isn't going to happen as along as dunderdummy is our DC. I don't see how TT/MM have any choice but to fire Capers now... of course they won't.

Gonna be a long season watching another dunderdummy coached defense.

Iron Mike
09-06-2014, 11:20 AM

I recently figured out that I wrestled that guy in college. But nobody would believe such a story.

He was Dutch, weighed 420 lbs at time, was an internationally famous opera star, had a genius IQ and wrestled for M.I.T.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7XtwFA3gcY

wist43
09-06-2014, 11:42 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yOMm6ecIuY

Man, that guy could sing... my favorite scene from Stir Crazy.

Guy was truly amazing... too bad he died so young :(

Iron Mike
09-06-2014, 12:00 PM
http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20078677,00.html

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2014, 04:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7XtwFA3gcY

That's the guy, Erland van Lidth (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0887419/)

When I met him, he had very long hair and a beard. I talked to him afterwards in the locker room, he was this friendly, gentle guy. He was 6'6", 420 pounds. I was a lean freshman at the time, 220 pounds. I looked like a child standing next to him.

I was absolutely terrified to "wrestle" him, I don't have the right word to describe what happened. Truth is I lacked the courage to refuse go out there. The guy was super gentle. He never put his weight on me. I can't remember any specifics, terror clouds memory. I think we found an early, mutually agreeable accommodation.

KYPack
09-07-2014, 11:15 AM
You guys are the biggest bunch of nervous nellies I've ever seen in my life. I'm sure there is a Girl Scout troop in Winneconne with more heart than you bastards.

We got blown out in our opening game. It was a tough roadie vs a great team. So what? We will lose 3 more road games this season, with the odd home loss thrown in there somewhere.

The season is over?

Bullshit.

In 2003, the Pats got blown out in Buffalo 31 - 0 in their opener. EVERYBODY said their season was over and the sky had fallen. They started the season 2-2 and went on to win the SB.

The season is a long, bumpy road.

Let the record reflect that many of you dove out of the bed of the pickup after the first bump.

pbmax
09-07-2014, 11:31 AM
How much better does anyone expect the Packer players to play Defense if they have indeed switched schemes to a 4-3?

Its going to get better, this being the first year of implementation, but how much better?

Patler
09-07-2014, 02:22 PM
You guys are the biggest bunch of nervous nellies I've ever seen in my life. I'm sure there is a Girl Scout troop in Winneconne with more heart than you bastards.

We got blown out in our opening game. It was a tough roadie vs a great team. So what? We will lose 3 more road games this season, with the odd home loss thrown in there somewhere.

The season is over?

Bullshit.

In 2003, the Pats got blown out in Buffalo 31 - 0 in their opener. EVERYBODY said their season was over and the sky had fallen. They started the season 2-2 and went on to win the SB.

The season is a long, bumpy road.

Let the record reflect that many of you dove out of the bed of the pickup after the first bump.

Have to agree with you KYP. I watched the 1st quarter in real time, didn't watch the rest until last night. From reading the comments here, I expected to see much worse than I did.

Lots of things to fix/compensate for in the center of the defense, but on the plus side it was nice seeing Peppers and Matthews often getting together at around where the QB was. Hopefully, Daniels has learned that Talking tough is silly before the fact. Be tough first, then talk tough if you must. They should have come away with two interceptions. Jones was a truly lost soul on Thursday, that is true; but Hawk was not as bad as I was expecting from what I read. He made some nice tackles when it was him or lots of running room. He's not going to win any one on one battles against OG's (how many ILBs really will?), so when the DL lets the guards get at him cleanly the result is predetermined.

I am perplexed by the thread criticizing Lacy. The dude ran hard all night, including late in the game when he lowered the boom on Chancellor who hit him dead on with a head of steam to boot. Lacy bounced off for another 3-5 yards, and Chancellor was left grabbing air. How often does that happen to Chancellor? Tough to compare Lacy to Lynch, the opportunities presented to each were so different. I don't know that Lynch broke more tackles, he just had more running room after he did. Lynch would break a tackle and have open space thereafter. Lacy would break a tackle and have three more defenders waiting for him.

At times the offense moved quite effectively, although not as dynamically as we hoped.

First, the Packers have to fix their stupidness (Daniels, Jones, Bakhtiari, MM-4th down, really??, etc.). Then the DL (Pennel or Picket maybe????). Jones has to come to, or someone else needs to have a chance. I am confident the offense will take care of itself. It always does under MM. Hopefully the defense will get better, or at least much more effective).

Those who start the season strong often finish much more slowly (e.g. 2011 Packers). The Giants a couple times, the 2010 Packers and others have shown that the team who hits their stride late in the year often has the better chance in the SB.

You don't have to be the best team in the NFL to win the SB, and you certainly don't have to be the best in week #1.

Joemailman
09-07-2014, 03:38 PM
How much better does anyone expect the Packer players to play Defense if they have indeed switched schemes to a 4-3?

Its going to get better, this being the first year of implementation, but how much better?

People can talk about scheme all they want. Packers has 17 missed tackles. No defense can function that way. I think improvement will come from fundamentals, not so much from improved implementation.

Rutnstrut
09-07-2014, 03:41 PM
People can talk about scheme all they want. Packers has 17 missed tackles. No defense can function that way. I think improvement will come from fundamentals, not so much from improved implementation.

Why would they work on fundamentals now, they haven't for the last 3 years?

red
09-07-2014, 03:52 PM
the big problem for me is that we were promised something better

after last season, there wasn't a cheesehead alive that didn't want slocum gone.he was kept, along with giving him a new partner (zook). we were told things would improve. on thursday night we saw the same old shit we've always seen from slocum special teams. mental mistake after mental mistake, after mental mistake

the defense was bad last year, but according to M3 that wasn't capers fault. the two of them would work together to get everything fixed. we were even told we would play a lot of 4-3. instead on thursday, we saw the same old defense, getting gouged for massive yardage on the ground. we saw the same brad jones who was useless yet deemed unreplaceable in free agency and the draft. and the thing that M3 and capers called a 4-3 was really the 2-4, or 2-5 or 0-7 which most of us all love so much

we were promised more of a rush based attack. but like in years past, the rushing attack was abandoned after the first drive for much of the night

and we also saw a team that couldn't tackle to save there lives. something we have been plagued with in the past, and should have been fixed, but was not

we also saw a staple of M3's time in green bay that pops up way more then it should. a team that comes out of the gates looking completely confused and unprepared to play. when what we were trying to do obviously wasn't working, did we try to adjust? nope

the look of shock and confusion coming from m3 and players faces during the game was enough to piss me off

there were obvious problems with this team last year. after watching pre season and the first game, its become clear that those problems weren't fixed and in some cases not even addressed

Maxie the Taxi
09-07-2014, 06:42 PM
First, the Packers have to fix their stupidness (Daniels, Jones, Bakhtiari, MM-4th down, really??, etc.). Then the DL (Pennel or Picket maybe????). Jones has to come to, or someone else needs to have a chance. I am confident the offense will take care of itself. It always does under MM. Hopefully the defense will get better, or at least much more effective).

I have not given up on the Packers by a long shot, but you're right about fixing the stupidness. And in my opinion what needs most fixing is MM. I watched the game in real time and I would argue that the 4th down decision to go for it in the 3rd quarter instead of pinning Seattle deep in their own territory with a punt was a game changer. Bad things tend to happen when you're deep in your own territory...as the Rodgers fumble and consequent Seattle safety demonstrate. And there went the ball game!

I continue to believe MM should let someone else call the plays so he can concentrate on strategy and the flow of the game. Didn't that 4th down decision follow his livid protest of the setting of the play clock? I don't remember.

Moreover, in his presser MM said he regretted that there were uncalled "shot" plays left on his play sheet. He said he didn't call them because "down and distance" wasn't favorable. None of that makes any sense to me. Was taking shots down the field a strategic or a tactical move? If tactical, i.e., dependent on "down and distance," then why should he regret not calling the shot plays? If strategic, i.e., an integral part of the offensive game plan, then it's fair to say Stubby screwed up big time and then it's fair to ask why. Does calling plays keep him from seeing the forest for the trees?

And as far as strategy goes, I thought our offense and defensive strategy was stupid in general.

First, if your number one defensive strategy is to stop the run, why suit up only four D-linemen, none of whom was Pennel, our widest and biggest body?

Second, there seemed to be no strategy to neutralize Harvin and the misdirection plays. The players seemed surprised and confused by them. Surely the Packers were expecting them. Seattle all but advertised Harvin would be a key part of their offense. Plus, they ran that stuff in the Super Bowl.

Third, what was the Packers' offensive strategy? Establish a ground game and a short passing game and grind out scores by eating up the clock with sustained drives? Or establish a ground game and then take scoring shots downfield?

If the former, MM overestimated the team's ability to rush the ball and its readiness to play such a disciplined game (or underestimated Seattle's defense).

If the latter, MM overestimated the ability of Nelson and Cobb to beat 3/4 of the Seattle secondary (having marooned Boykin and Adams on Sherman's Island). Which begs the question: How did MM expect his long shots down the field to succeed with only 4 WR's suited up and an untested rookie at TE (and Quarles who is hardly a deep threat)?

Lastly, I wonder if it was smart, given all of the above, to put so much effort into running a hurry up offense in the snake pit of Century Link field. With all the Packers had going against them -- injuries, new center, first game jitters, and the like -- what did they really gain by the extra complication of no huddle...or was that a strategy in itself?

I suppose one could say that I have the benefit of hindsight, which is true. But as MM says, we should analyze our mistakes and fix them.

red
09-07-2014, 06:55 PM
yeah, i didn't get the no huddle either. going no huddle and having to verbally scream out the play to every player on the field in the loudest stadium in the NFL seems kind of stupid

if you're gonna run no huddle, run lots of plays. we got up to the line quick, then used up the whole play clock on almost every play

and finally, they kept saying that the whole point of the no huddle was to keep the same defensive players on the field and to wear them down. that doesn't work when they are man handling you and force you into short drives all night

its like MM looked at what chip kelly was doing and said, hey that no huddle works great for him. he just didn't noticed that the point of kellys offense is to run twice as many plays as normal in a game

Rutnstrut
09-07-2014, 07:00 PM

after last season, there wasn't a cheesehead alive that didn't want slocum gone.he was kept, along with giving him a new partner (zook). we were told things would improve. on thursday night we saw the same old shit we've always seen from slocum special teams. mental mistake after mental mistake, after mental mistake

the defense was bad last year, but according to M3 that wasn't capers fault. the two of them would work together to get everything fixed. we were even told we would play a lot of 4-3. instead on thursday, we saw the same old defense, getting gouged for massive yardage on the ground. we saw the same brad jones who was useless yet deemed unreplaceable in free agency and the draft. and the thing that M3 and capers called a 4-3 was really the 2-4, or 2-5 or 0-7 which most of us all love so much

we were promised more of a rush based attack. but like in years past, the rushing attack was abandoned after the first drive for much of the night

and we also saw a team that couldn't tackle to save there lives. something we have been plagued with in the past, and should have been fixed, but was not

we also saw a staple of M3's time in green bay that pops up way more then it should. a team that comes out of the gates looking completely confused and unprepared to play. when what we were trying to do obviously wasn't working, did we try to adjust? nope

the look of shock and confusion coming from m3 and players faces during the game was enough to piss me off

there were obvious problems with this team last year. after watching pre season and the first game, its become clear that those problems weren't fixed and in some cases not even addressed

Red the reason many things weren't addressed is because TT and company are happy with mediocrity. Also the downfall of the Packers is there is no "owner" to appease so the org can sit on it's laurels.

mr_blonde
09-07-2014, 07:02 PM

THIS

Striker
09-07-2014, 07:15 PM
Red the reason many things weren't addressed is because TT and company are happy with mediocrity. Also the downfall of the Packers is there is no "owner" to appease so the org can sit on it's laurels.

I'm sure they start every season thinking "let's aim for 9-7/8-8 or worse this year!".

pbmax
09-07-2014, 07:39 PM
How many more than 21 carries (all RB) do you want when trailing for 3/4 of the game and the run is averaging less than 4 yards a carry?

Joemailman
09-07-2014, 07:48 PM

Yep. Just think how much more successful the Packers would be if they had a real owner. Maybe we could borrow one from Cleveland or Jacksonville or Oakland.

Your comment reminded me of one of my favorite movie clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo-YVqV0v4Q

pbmax
09-07-2014, 09:56 PM
Why would they work on fundamentals now, they haven't for the last 3 years?

Actually, it was a pretty big point of emphasis in training camp. Better question is why didn't it help?

Fritz
09-08-2014, 06:02 AM
Actually, it was a pretty big point of emphasis in training camp. Better question is why didn't it help?

Last year, when they lost to SF in the first game, I didn't mind so much because the Packers played pretty tough. I had hope for that defense.

But this Seattle game reminded me of the SF playoff game two years ago - that defense just can't figure out misdirection stuff, period, and the tackling was super, super lame.

Had the team tackled hard and crisply, Lynch wouldn't have run for a million yards. To me, it's less about scheme and more about the ability to tackle people.

Like Red, I totally didn't get that supposed "hurry up" that was as fast as a turtle with a hernia. That made no sense to me at all.

And then there was the traditional Packer injury.

What an ugly, ugly, ugly night.

This team - players and coaches - keeps complaining that they're not soft, but they keep on having games like this, in which they look as soft as a 90 year old man's winkie.

Pugger
09-08-2014, 02:26 PM
yeah, i didn't get the no huddle either. going no huddle and having to verbally scream out the play to every player on the field in the loudest stadium in the NFL seems kind of stupid

if you're gonna run no huddle, run lots of plays. we got up to the line quick, then used up the whole play clock on almost every play

and finally, they kept saying that the whole point of the no huddle was to keep the same defensive players on the field and to wear them down. that doesn't work when they are man handling you and force you into short drives all night

its like MM looked at what chip kelly was doing and said, hey that no huddle works great for him. he just didn't noticed that the point of kellys offense is to run twice as many plays as normal in a game

Did Chip Kelly's Eagles have to play Seattle recently?

Pugger
09-08-2014, 02:30 PM

This has to be the most ridiculous post I've read in quite a while. What is wild is you are being serious too.