PDA

View Full Version : Packer Injury Thread

Willard
09-05-2014, 03:05 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/shutdown-corner/packers-right-tackle-bryan-bulaga-out-indefinitely-with-torn-mcl-193015800.html

Packers right tackle Bryan Bulaga out indefinitely with torn MCL

Happy Friday!

hoosier
09-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Different year, same old bullshit.

Bossman641
09-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Hopefully he'll be back after the bye week. Although with our trainers you really need to take the estimated 7-8 weeks and double it.

call_me_ishmael
09-05-2014, 03:29 PM
I think this is more on the Packers drafting than on medical staff. If a guy is injury prone and has weak bones/ligaments/tendons, well, there's not a whole lot the medical staff can do. Bulaga is just an injury prone guy.

Bossman641
09-05-2014, 03:34 PM
I think this is more on the Packers drafting than on medical staff. If a guy is injury prone and has weak bones/ligaments/tendons, well, there's not a whole lot the medical staff can do. Bulaga is just an injury prone guy.

I think Bulaga only missed 3 games in his college career, and that was due to a thyroid issue.

At this point though his knee is a significant issue

Teamcheez1
09-05-2014, 03:45 PM
This is Bulaga's final year on his contract. Tape him up and stick him back on the field.

If he doesn't show us anything, he may be gone. He may be gone even if he does show us something.

Striker
09-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 42m
Packers OT Bryan Bulaga's sprained MCL - (version of tear) - is not considered serious and he "should not miss much time," per source.

Bossman641
09-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Knee sprain would be a lot better than a tear, please please. If any team is due some good injury news its the Packers.

red
09-05-2014, 08:18 PM
what happened to the days when all o-linemen wore braces on both knees and just played.

why is a guy who's coming off a serious season ending knee injury NOT wearing a knee brace to at least prevent further injuries?

i swear i'm getting to the point where if i was running the team every single player would be wearing knee braces and giant bubble helmets

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2014, 08:25 PM
why is a guy who's coming off a serious season ending knee injury NOT wearing a knee brace to at least prevent further injuries?

A very good question indeed. College O-linemen all wear knee braces now. It must be a macho thing, knee braces don't go with tats

HarveyWallbangers
09-05-2014, 08:30 PM
A story I read today said Bulaga was wearing a knee brace.

red
09-05-2014, 08:40 PM
A story I read today said Bulaga was wearing a knee brace.

hard to really tell, but if he was wearing anything it was maybe a sleeve under his socks and pants, not a decent brace

http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/38004986/20140904203021.0.0_standard_730.0.jpg

denverYooper
09-05-2014, 08:50 PM
There's clearly a brace there.

hoosier
09-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Coach Mike McCarthy on Friday wouldn't rule out the possibility that Bulaga could face the Jets. The players are off this weekend and return Monday with their next practice scheduled for Wednesday.

"Right now we have a little bit of a gap between how Bryan feels and how the medical department feels about him, which is normal," McCarthy said. "I think really Wednesday's practice will probably give us a better indication. I know Bryan would like to try to go on Wednesday, but we have to continue to see how his knee reacts between now and then.

"It's not a major injury. We're relieved by that. So I really don't have a timeline for you."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11471387/bryan-bulaga-green-bay-packers-sprain-mcl-left-knee

Sounds like the Packers may have dodged a Sherrod-coated bullet.

red
09-05-2014, 08:54 PM
There's clearly a brace there.

i'm thinking he was wearing something like this

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoFHGKcWjCPWp9W15_JMZ1qv7STlkac Te1YjBd0HBwtDUkNsuYQw

when he should have been wearing something like this

http://www.breg.com/sites/default/files/product-gallery/Fusion-men-knee-brace.png

denverYooper
09-05-2014, 09:05 PM
I gotcha, but in the picture it looks like he's wearing something closer to the second one. You can see the lateral stabilizing piece extend down past the rest of the unit (the rectangular lump in the green part of his sock).

pittstang5
09-05-2014, 09:09 PM
He was wearing a brace. Whatsherface on the sideline even said that Bulaga took off his brace on the left leg before going to the locker room.

Carolina_Packer
09-06-2014, 08:20 AM
Michelle Tafoya

gbgary
09-06-2014, 08:50 AM
was wearing a brace. the early reports said tear but later everything was sprain...much better than a tear.

QBME
09-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Bulaga and Bostick both participating in practice today.

Lacy and Brad Jones sitting out.

Harlan Huckleby
09-10-2014, 02:33 PM
Bulaga and Bostick both participating in practice today.

Save their legs for Detroit

Teach Sherrod to scream "LOOKOUT!" at appropriate times. Instruct Rodgers to immediately hit the deck. They'll get through it against the Nyets.

Freak Out
09-10-2014, 04:11 PM
If Sherrod is in again....wait....WHEN he is in again he definitely needs to work on the warning sounds he emits when someone blows by his worthless ass.

Pugger
09-11-2014, 07:50 AM
If Sherrod starts we all better pray they put a TE and/or Kuhn over there to help him out or Rodgers will get killed again.

Striker
09-11-2014, 10:01 AM
If Sherrod starts we all better pray they put a TE and/or Kuhn over there to help him out or Rodgers will get killed again.

McCarthy's had time to review the tape, I'm sure he'll finally make the adjustment by now.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Silverstein said on radio that Bulaga limped in practice, doubts he will play.

hoosier
09-11-2014, 11:53 AM
As long as Bulaga's not out for a long time this could actually be a good thing, will tell whether there is any point in holding onto Sherrod.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2014, 12:08 PM
As long as Bulaga's not out for a long time this could actually be a good thing, will tell whether there is any point in holding onto Sherrod.

I heard the Jets front 7 is pretty good, best part of team.

I don't believe that Bulaga at 80% is really better than Sherry at 100%. Sherry should play. It'll be a miracle if Sherry can keep from whiffing, given the tape on him now. But as Al Michaels once said.....

Bossman641
09-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Anyone knows the risk of further injuring a knee sprain from playing on it? I'd prefer Bulaga sit and rest another week if there is even the slightest chance

smuggler
09-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Probably not too much chance in worsening it, but will prohibit healing. If he's not 100%, he should sit and let it heal.

Fritz
09-11-2014, 01:18 PM
If he's gimping around that badly on a Wednesday or Thursday, sit his azz out, give Sherrod all the remaining reps at RT, and let him start, knowing you might need to shift help his way.

oldbutnotdeadyet
09-11-2014, 02:25 PM
If he's gimping around that badly on a Wednesday or Thursday, sit his azz out, give Sherrod all the remaining reps at RT, and let him start, knowing you might need to shift help his way.

I agree, tell Sherrod he is starting, and if he does not improve significantly, bye bye...

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2014, 02:26 PM
Just picture in your mind Sherrod in the Detroit dome in two weeks against that D-line.
Then ask yourself whether you want Bulaga to rest his leg this week.

MadScientist
09-11-2014, 02:34 PM
I'm sure they will have Bulaga take all the #1 reps while Sherrod "Visuallizes" taking those reps and working in tune with the rest of the line.

Fritz
09-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Say, did anybody else notice a shift in MM's public response about injuries and holding players out when he was axed about Bulaga playing this Sunday?

This caught my attention:

"On if team is being more cautious with injuries early in the season... 'No, I think sometimes we may have done that in the past. I think our medical department tilts that way, but the reality is you’re only given 16 games and I know from a player’s perspective, they want to play in every single game. If Bryan Bulaga feels that he can go in this game, that’ll be a part of the decision. But we’re not saving anybody for next week or so forth. If Bryan cannot go, it will be clearly from a medical standpoint that we don’t feel it’s in his best interest.'"

Sure, MM paints the picture as if the team is still treating injured players the same way, but I see more emphasis in this passage (and the next one in the story) about the importance of individual games, and thus the importance of not "saving" players by holding them out.

Are we going to see a shift in the Packers' playing of injured players? Are players listed as "questionable," which in the past seemed to mean "out," now be playing?

Joemailman
09-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Silverstein said on radio that Bulaga limped in practice, doubts he will play.

Report yesterday was that Bulaga looked hobbled on Wednesday but looked better on Thursday.

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Report yesterday was that Bulaga looked hobbled on Wednesday but looked better on Thursday.

Ya, I know, what a bad idea it is for him to play. I doubt he'll be better than Sherrod, and there is risk.

hoosier
09-12-2014, 01:16 PM
Ya, I know, what a bad idea it is for him to play. I doubt he'll be better than Sherrod, and there is risk.

This is the Packers we're talking about. The only time there is not risk is when someone is sitting in a padded room and covered from head to toe in bubble wrap. And that player would probably pull a hamstring from inactivity. With Bulaga there will be risk when he returns no matter how long they wait...the chances of him suffering a season-ending injury are approximately 33% in any given game.

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2014, 01:48 PM
They should play Sherrod until Bulaga is not feeling effects of sprained knee. He is not going to be any better than Sherrod at handling speed rushers with gimpy knee, and Sherrod seems fine at other aspects of game.

Marco Rivera played with knee brace and slight MCL tear a few years ago, but that was at center.

Joemailman
09-12-2014, 02:01 PM
They should play Sherrod until Bulaga is not feeling effects of sprained knee. He is not going to be any better than Sherrod at handling speed rushers with gimpy knee, and Sherrod seems fine at other aspects of game.

Marco Rivera played with knee brace and slight MCL tear a few years ago, but that was at center.

When did Marco Rivera ever play Center?

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2014, 02:01 PM
OK, guard, same thing.

pbmax
09-12-2014, 05:04 PM
"On if team is being more cautious with injuries early in the season... 'No, I think sometimes we may have done that in the past. I think our medical department tilts that way, but the reality is you’re only given 16 games and I know from a player’s perspective, they want to play in every single game. If Bryan Bulaga feels that he can go in this game, that’ll be a part of the decision. But we’re not saving anybody for next week or so forth. If Bryan cannot go, it will be clearly from a medical standpoint that we don’t feel it’s in his best interest.'"

I am actually unsure if he is saying anything different than past practice. I think this quote is Holmgrenian.

The only info is that they used to be more cautious "in the past". Not sure that is true and it makes me think this is press conference word salad that allows him to say Bulaga won't sit if he can play. Sounds definitive and authoritarian, but its also patently obvious.

pittstang5
09-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Everyone realizes that if Bulaga starts on Sunday, he'll leave the game injured again...right? We all know this....right?

Bretsky
09-13-2014, 06:39 AM
Everyone realizes that if Bulaga starts on Sunday, he'll leave the game injured again...right? We all know this....right?

But deep down we cheer for Bulaga....cause he is a good guy and is a stellar OL when he's in

That's the difference between Bulaga and Fluffy
Simply put one can play and one can't

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2014, 11:25 AM
But deep down we cheer for Bulaga....cause he is a good guy and is a stellar OL when he's in

That's the difference between Bulaga and Fluffy

Is Bulaga more of a "good guy" than Sherrod?

It's just a bandwagon thing. Remember how people cheered against James Jones, James Starks, Darren Sharper early in their stumbling careers? Once you identify a player as bad, you kinda want them to fuck-up to validate your judgment, and to prod the coach to get um out of your site. If they turn it around, all is forgiven, in fact you kinda saw a spark there all along.

If Sherrod plays and screws the pooch, I'll be self-satisfied and say "I told you so."
If Sherrod has a good game, I'll be happy and relieved, say "I told you so."
I've been very careful to stake-out firm positions on both sides of the Sherry issue.

pbmax
09-13-2014, 02:29 PM
At this point, Bulaga has surpassed Sherrod in being unavailable. That is impressive in its own right.

Carolina_Packer
09-15-2014, 10:28 PM
With Malumba going down with what MM termed a significant knee injury, is next man up Adrian Hubbard?

George Cumby
09-15-2014, 11:11 PM

It's just a bandwagon thing. Remember how people cheered against James Jones, James Starks, Darren Sharper early in their stumbling careers? Once you identify a player as bad, you kinda want them to fuck-up to validate your judgment, and to prod the coach to get um out of your site. If they turn it around, all is forgiven, in fact you kinda saw a spark there all along.

If Sherrod plays and screws the pooch, I'll be self-satisfied and say "I told you so."
I've been very careful to stake-out firm positions on both sides of the Sherry issue.

Nice post.

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2014, 12:39 AM
With Malumba going down with what MM termed a significant knee injury, is next man up Adrian Hubbard?

I don't think they need another OLB, but they need somebody to replace him on special teams. I wonder if Chris Banjo will get the call--unless Elliott or possibly Hubbard could do it.

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2014, 11:48 AM
I wonder if Bulaga will play. MCL sprain = MCL tear, it could be a couple more weeks

smuggler
09-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Banjo seems like the obvious choice, since Hyde is also banged up and that leaves us with 3 safeties...

Bretsky
09-16-2014, 05:18 PM

Honestly I don't know much about Sherrod the person so I have no idea; I just don't think he's as good

smuggler
09-16-2014, 10:58 PM
It's pretty clear that a healthy Bulaga is preferrable to Sherry at RT. What I would hope is that Bulaga would stop getting hurt and maybe Sherrod could improve his game and push Bakhtiari at LT, where the dancing bear type is less of a liability and more of the ideal.

pbmax
09-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Andy Mulumba K. ‏@A49K 1h
1/2 Unfortunately, My ACL injury was confirmed this morning, and it's just one of those bumps on the road! Nothing that I can't overcome!

Just not his year.

Cheesehead Craig
09-17-2014, 02:29 PM
It was wierd, I was out running the other day and I was thinking about where to watch the next Packer game and suddenly my hammy tightened up.

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2014, 03:39 PM
It was wierd, I was out running the other day and I was thinking about where to watch the next Packer game and suddenly my hammy tightened up.

Where are you going to watch the next Packers game?

smuggler
09-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Hopefully the couch with that hammy iced up!

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2014, 07:08 PM
Is Bostick going to be a factor Sunday?

pbmax
09-17-2014, 07:29 PM
Hayward has NOT injured his hammy.

Ryan Wood ‏@ByRyanWood 5h
#Packers injury report:
Bulaga knee limited
Hayward glute DNP
Hyde knee limited
Jones quad DNP
Mulumba knee out

Its the quad he hurt compensating/strengthening for the hammy.

KYPack
09-17-2014, 07:31 PM
Is Bostick going to be a factor Sunday?

I hope so.

TE has become a vast wasteland.

I actually miss Fin a little.

At least he ran free enuff to get targeted, then he'd drop the ball.

This bunch doesn't even warrant a second look.

Fritz
09-18-2014, 12:32 PM
As so often happens, the rook who dazzles us in the preseason discovers that the real games are much, much more difficult.

Quarless is a pedestrian on a highway, we know that, but Rodgers was supposed to be a ball magnet. So far, he hasn't done much.

Freak Out
09-18-2014, 01:43 PM
I forget....what happen to RR again? He was supposed to be the TE savior after all.

Cheesehead Craig
09-18-2014, 02:04 PM
Where are you going to watch the next Packers game?

Turns out that on Sunday I'll have to miss it. Family obligations. Otherwise I'd likely go to the Park Tavern.

Carolina_Packer
09-18-2014, 03:33 PM
Hopefully the couch with that hammy iced up!

Or a Hamm's on ice, maybe?

http://www.collegehappenings.com/wp-content/beer/Hamms.jpg

smuggler
09-18-2014, 05:10 PM
R2 collided with Bulaga after a quarter against the Seahawks and knocked himself and Brittle-aga out of the game. If he played last week, I didn't notice.

pbmax
09-19-2014, 08:52 AM
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein · 18h
Raji said that he didn't just tear the biceps muscle, he tore the tendon that attaches it to his arm. That's why he's done for the season.

#Packers NT B.J. Raji said he was told his torn biceps is a 6 to 9-month injury. He underwent surgery Sept 2.

Cheesehead Craig
09-19-2014, 10:40 AM
R2 collided with Bulaga after a quarter against the Seahawks and knocked himself and Brittle-aga out of the game. If he played last week, I didn't notice.

I remember seeing him walk off the field with Aaron. The 2 Rodgers jerseys side by side. But other than that, you wouldn't have noticed he was in the game.

Pugger
09-19-2014, 11:20 AM
Raji said that he didn't just tear the biceps muscle, he tore the tendon that attaches it to his arm. That's why he's done for the season.

#Packers NT B.J. Raji said he was told his torn biceps is a 6 to 9-month injury. He underwent surgery Sept 2.

Ouch!! :shock:

Fritz
09-20-2014, 07:43 AM
Wow. After reading Raji's comments, and reading MM's comments, it sounds like somehow Raji has morphed into "Packer People." Maybe he'll be back next year after all.

In the meantime, let's hope Pennel is getting up to speed. Guion looks pretty half-assed about now.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2014, 11:44 AM
In the meantime, let's hope Pennel is getting up to speed. Guion looks pretty half-assed about now.

Nah, we don't need no stinkin D-linemen. Unveil the Amoeba Super Flex - a 21st century defense. 0-5-6. Float like butterflies, sting like butterflies.

pbmax
09-20-2014, 03:11 PM
I say forget old-fashioned notions of number of players. Let Gross Tonnage be the determining factor for the number of people on defense. You can put sensors in the field and have a red light for when they are over.