PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Peterson Indicted

Pages : 1 [2]

Harlan Huckleby
10-08-2014, 12:27 PM
IMO the NFL screwed up when they decided to take a stance on more than football.

The NFL tried your approach and it failed miserably. They have no choice but to deal with the behavior of players.

Harlan Huckleby
10-08-2014, 12:30 PM
The NFL trying to look PC on the domestic abuse issue, is going to wreck someones career. It will only be a matter of time, before some psycho bitch decides she wants to get revenge on the NFL player that dumped her.

I try and be fair to all parties in domestic abuse accusations. I think the "PC" thing is misplaced, it implies unfairness. None of the guys accused of domestic abuse, including Peterson, have been railroaded.

If and when somebody gets falsely accused and damaged, we can talk about a PC rush to judgement.

Fritz
10-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Protect the shield sounded good but was much more complex than they imagined. I have some sympathy for a business trying to discipline its employees for off the clock behavior, (and sympathy for employees subjected to discipline unrelated to work) but the NFL waked straight into this voluntarily. Only their ignorance made them think this was going to be simple. And the NFLPA agreed. Astounding.

...And I thought shields were supposed to do the protecting.

Rutnstrut
10-08-2014, 06:42 PM
I try and be fair to all parties in domestic abuse accusations. I think the "PC" thing is misplaced, it implies unfairness. None of the guys accused of domestic abuse, including Peterson, have been railroaded.

If and when somebody gets falsely accused and damaged, we can talk about a PC rush to judgement.

It WILL happen, it's not like a gold digging whore has ever filed a false accusation against a rich athlete. This will just make it that much easier and instead of waiting to see if the player is guilty, they are punished immediately. Roger Goodell A.K.A Judge, jury, and executioner.

Joemailman
10-08-2014, 09:13 PM
About 15% of domestic violence victims are men. Now, it's possible that the physical size and strength of an NFL player makes their situation different. We'll probably never know though. What NFL player is going to call the police and say he got beat up by his wife? The culture of the sport won't allow it.

pbmax
10-08-2014, 09:43 PM
It WILL happen, it's not like a gold digging whore has ever filed a false accusation against a rich athlete. This will just make it that much easier and instead of waiting to see if the player is guilty, they are punished immediately. Roger Goodell A.K.A Judge, jury, and executioner.

In your scenario, how does the women benefit?

denverYooper
10-09-2014, 08:54 AM

Obviously, a gold digger wants the stream to dry up so they can...

Oh, wait.

Does not compute.

pbmax
10-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Obviously, a gold digger wants the stream to dry up so they can...

Oh, wait.

Does not compute.

Yeah, the incentives kinda run the other way, newly PC NFL or not. Which is one reason why this crime may very well be underreported.

3irty1
10-09-2014, 09:28 AM
Any good gold digging whore mastermind would have the sense to make a parlay bet on all of Peterson's player props categories before kicking off a scandal like this.

Harlan Huckleby
10-09-2014, 06:31 PM
AP has lost his mind. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/vikings/2014/10/09/adrian-peterson-marijuana-montgomery-county-bond-felony/16982405/

Cheesehead Craig
10-09-2014, 07:12 PM
AP has lost his mind. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/vikings/2014/10/09/adrian-peterson-marijuana-montgomery-county-bond-felony/16982405/

WTF is he thinking? Not a chance the NFL lets him play this season now, although I didn't think before that they were. I'd be surprised if they don't penalize him for next season as well.

Rastak
10-09-2014, 07:22 PM
WTF is he thinking? Not a chance the NFL lets him play this season now, although I didn't think before that they were. I'd be surprised if they don't penalize him for next season as well.

Dude, they don't even have test results back yet. Jesus Christ.....although telling the dude collecting your sample you just smoked a joint ranks up with Koren Robinson showing up for jail on a DWI drunk.

Cheesehead Craig
10-09-2014, 07:56 PM
Dude, they don't even have test results back yet. Jesus Christ.....although telling the dude collecting your sample you just smoked a joint ranks up with Koren Robinson showing up for jail on a DWI drunk.

I'm going to rush to judgment on him because I can. :taunt: Also because he admitted to it like a dumbass.

Rutnstrut
10-10-2014, 12:46 AM

In this scenario she does it for revenge, I shouldn't have used the gold digger term there. It WILL happen.

pbmax
10-10-2014, 07:47 AM
In this scenario she does it for revenge, I shouldn't have used the gold digger term there. It WILL happen.

So the revenge from getting the NFL to act is better than the revenge that could be had by reporting him to the police?

Why doesn't this happen with marijuana use then, or drinking and driving?

I think you see leverage but do not take into consideration the actual motivations of the woman. If revenge alone was that popular, then more players would be in trouble and they would be caught not by the police or video or drug tests but by published reports.

I could see this kind of behavior in a divorce or custody proceeding. Take Michael Strahan's ex for example.

Rutnstrut
10-10-2014, 10:09 PM
So the revenge from getting the NFL to act is better than the revenge that could be had by reporting him to the police?

I think you see leverage but do not take into consideration the actual motivations of the woman. If revenge alone was that popular, then more players would be in trouble and they would be caught not by the police or video or drug tests but by published reports.

I could see this kind of behavior in a divorce or custody proceeding. Take Michael Strahan's ex for example.

IMO there are many situations settled on the down low out of court. Where you have men with a lot of money, you will have unscrupulous women after it.

pbmax
10-11-2014, 09:08 AM
IMO there are many situations settled on the down low out of court. Where you have men with a lot of money, you will have unscrupulous women after it.

I agree. It also has nothing to do with the NFL disciplining and discouraging players over domestic abuse. It exists in and of itself.

Guiness
10-11-2014, 12:24 PM
A few thoughts...

Revenge via the NFL, the way they are metting it out now, is instant satisfaction. No worries about due process, the target making bail and carrying on while things run their course. Just make the complaint, and boom - dude's screwed.

Why isn't it open to revenge/gold digging? IMO it's not as immediately obvious or open to abuse. Weed and DUI are more likely to need police involvement related to the event, the abuse charges could start with the woman making a teary phone call

Early days pb, early days. This is all pretty new, and I think the NFL is treading a dangerous path here, as Rutnstrut said, acting as judge, jury and executioner. The way they are handling it I absolutely see the opportunity for a spurned lover to take revenge either by blackmail or simply damaging a guy's career. And the NFL is going to get sued for suspending someone and damaging their career once they've been exonerated.

I could see this kind of behavior in a divorce or custody proceeding. Take Michael Strahan's ex for example.or the duke lacrosse team

pbmax
10-11-2014, 04:05 PM
A few thoughts...

Revenge via the NFL, the way they are metting it out now, is instant satisfaction. No worries about due process, the target making bail and carrying on while things run their course. Just make the complaint, and boom - dude's screwed.

Why isn't it open to revenge/gold digging? IMO it's not as immediately obvious or open to abuse. Weed and DUI are more likely to need police involvement related to the event, the abuse charges could start with the woman making a teary phone call

Early days pb, early days. This is all pretty new, and I think the NFL is treading a dangerous path here, as Rutnstrut said, acting as judge, jury and executioner. The way they are handling it I absolutely see the opportunity for a spurned lover to take revenge either by blackmail or simply damaging a guy's career. And the NFL is going to get sued for suspending someone and damaging their career once they've been exonerated.

or the duke lacrosse team

Well, let's take one step back. Rutnstrut initially stated that the NFL's "PC" approach would open up athletes to abuse by gold diggers. That claim is manifestly mistaken.

a. If your goal is to live high on the hog, this move costs the arrangement money if it succeeds. If it fails, you get put out on the street.
b. If you are after blackmail, pay me or I go to the authorities, that possibility exists now with the drug and alcohol policy. And it doesn't seem to happen all that often. Think about how easy it it would be to post pictures of a night out drinking and then another of the player driving.
c. The NFL has set a standard (it may change) that the player is off the roster but still collecting a paycheck. So revenge is problematic as well if you really want to hurt the pocketbook even if you are not interested in more payouts.

As for revenge only, the NFL has video and photographs of two incidents and court testimony and a conviction in another. I think you are overestimating the chances a woman can get the domestic abuse charge to stick with the NFL without involving the authorities. Do you expect the women to call Dean Blandino or Troy Vincent and get him suspended without involving the authorities?

At some point you need evidence and that will have to be given to the police.

Rutnstrut
10-11-2014, 07:12 PM
"At some point you need evidence and that will have to be given to the police."

That's my point, the NFL is setting a precedent to act without evidence. Even if the player is eventually proved innocent, the damage is done.

pbmax
10-11-2014, 07:20 PM

That's my point, the NFL is setting a precedent to act without evidence. Even if the player is eventually proved innocent, the damage is done.

That ship sailed long ago, see Ben Roethlisberger. In the cases of Rice and Hardy, they had a criminal proceeding to go on. Peterson has public photos. The new policy doesn't change anything. If anything, the players in these cases are better off as they are getting paid.

KYPack
10-11-2014, 08:23 PM
The last sighting of the Duke Lacrosse "rape victim" was her mug shot.

In the can on a murder beef.

sharpe1027
10-11-2014, 08:51 PM

How exactly are they ever proved innocent? The criminal courts don't prove innocence.

pbmax
11-18-2014, 08:07 AM
Peterson is suspended until April 15th (earliest reinstatement).

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 16m16 minutes ago
NFL announces Adrian Peterson suspended without pay the rest of the 2014 season http://wp.me/p14QSB-9Dkx

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 15m15 minutes ago
NFL notes its domestic violence policy of 6 games for 1st offense w/escalating discipline if a minor involved. Considers a switch a weapon

Harlan Huckleby
11-18-2014, 08:33 AM
It is harsh, but I would say appropriate. AP will be back in league earning plenty. I hope he is a changed man, but that is optimistic.

denverYooper
11-18-2014, 09:12 AM
Paul Pabst ‏@PaulPabst 23m23 minutes ago
Trending...in order..."Charles Manson...Adrian Peterson...Goodell...NFLPA."