View Full Version : Adrian Peterson Indicted

Pages : [1] 2

Tony Oday
09-12-2014, 03:46 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/12/adrian-peterson-indicted-for-child-abuse/

Banned for life?

Joemailman
09-12-2014, 04:08 PM
It's not clear right now what this is about.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2014/09/12/adrian-peterson-indicted.html

Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson was reportedly indicted on Friday for reckless or negligent injury to a child in North Montgomery County, Texas.

red
09-12-2014, 04:27 PM
i mean, could this be something as simple as leaving a kid in a car while you run into a store, or not having a child in a car seat?

this could be a simple thing, like letting a little kid drive a 4-wheeler and he crashes (all of us from wisconsin or the UP have done it, and it was a blast). or it could be something much much worse

it was an 11 year old boy visiting AP who returned home with some bruises. thats all we know. they could have been playing football in the front yard, or AP could have beaten him

need to wait for details on this one before we lynch him

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2014, 04:34 PM
How about a little tackle football in the backyard, son?

Rastak
09-12-2014, 04:35 PM
i mean, could this be something as simple as leaving a kid in a car while you run into a store, or not having a child in a car seat?

this could be a simple thing, like letting a little kid drive a 4-wheeler and he crashes (all of us from wisconsin or the UP have done it, and it was a blast). or it could be something much much worse

it was an 11 year old boy visiting AP who returned home with some bruises. thats all we know. they could have been playing football in the front yard, or AP could have beaten him

He's accused of spanking his kid with a switch.

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2014, 04:37 PM

OK, sounds like there is a problem here. I hope the proposed remedy is not a transfer of $1M

Rastak
09-12-2014, 04:43 PM
OK, sounds like there is a problem here. I hope the proposed remedy is not a transfer of $1M That's old school. I shouldn't joke about it since I don't know the details.....there's a difference between spanking your kid and whipping him bloody.

Tony Oday
09-12-2014, 04:48 PM
Thats the thing. If it is just a couple of very small marks then the kid was disciplined...if it was bloody welts then look out he is in TROUBLE. In the post Ray Rice world he will be crushed.

red
09-12-2014, 04:54 PM
hey, when i lived in the south in the late 80's early 90's it was perfectly acceptable for the principle to bend you over his knee and paddle you with a great big paddle if you got busted for even a simple little thing

those left fucking marks

pbmax
09-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Well 'switch' wasn't a word i expected to come across today.

Cheesehead Craig
09-12-2014, 05:03 PM
He admitted to using the switch. It was on the bare thighs of the kid. He's not playing Sunday and the local guys are saying the indefinate suspension is likely too

Joemailman
09-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Remember the good ol' days when you turned on Sportscenter and they just reported scores and highlights?

pbmax
09-12-2014, 05:15 PM
I would have bet money you could not be indicted for this offense in Texas.

pbmax
09-12-2014, 05:18 PM
Photos:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/adrian-peterson-indicted-for-child-abuse/

red
09-12-2014, 05:27 PM
hmmm, that doesn't look so good

like i said, this kind of thing is pretty accepted in the south. but from people not familiar with it, it looks really bad

i think this is gonna really be bad for AP because i think the NFL will go all out on him after the ray rice fiasco

Joemailman
09-12-2014, 05:28 PM

Actually, it now appears it was a 4 year old boy. That's pretty young for anything like this.

red
09-12-2014, 05:36 PM
details of the case are changing by the minute

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Looks like Adrian Peterson will be out this year while this gets sorted out.

I do think he will be welcomed back to NFL. I know I'm jumping ahead, but those pictures tell a pretty clear story of what happened.

Joemailman
09-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Peterson's attorney released a statement:

“Adrian Peterson has been informed that he was indicted by a grand jury in Montgomery County, Texas for Injury to a Child. The charged conduct involves using a switch to spank his son. This indictment follows Adrian’s full cooperation with authorities who have been looking into this matter. Adrian is a loving father who used his judgment as a parent to discipline his son. He used the same kind of discipline with his child that he experienced as a child growing up in east Texas. Adrian has never hidden from what happened. He has cooperated fully with authorities and voluntarily testified before the grand jury for several hours. Adrian will address the charges with the same respect and responsiveness he has brought to this inquiry from its beginning. It is important to remember that Adrian never intended to harm his son and deeply regrets the unintentional injury.”

Rastak
09-12-2014, 05:59 PM
He gave that kid a pretty good whipping. In this day and age probably not the brightest thing to do.

Now we know why he called Jerry Jones and said he'd like to play for him. This happened in May, he must have realized his days as the highest paid running back in the NFL were about to come to a close.

Cheesehead Craig
09-12-2014, 06:00 PM
Unintentional injury? What did AP think was going to happen when he hit his son with a switch?

Rastak
09-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Photos:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/adrian-peterson-indicted-for-child-abuse/

Technical note on the title of that link. I think he was charged with Negligent Child Endangerment which is not quite the same thing. Bad, but not exactly the same thing.

Tyrion Lannister
09-12-2014, 08:10 PM

The Packers defense, especially the run defense, is so bad, only an indict can prevent AP from spanking the unit.

On a serious note, child abuse is never a joke or a funny thing, but I do hope Minnesota "deactivates" AP on Oct. 2 also.

smuggler
09-12-2014, 09:13 PM
I feel like those welt would be justified on a 9 or 10 year old for fighting or stealing. Not so much for a 4 year old for pushing another kid.

George Cumby
09-12-2014, 09:19 PM
An indictment means felony means bad.

200 some pound man beating a four year old with a stick leaving all sorts of bruising and welts? Worse than than the Ray Rice deal by an East Texas Country Mile.

Is Baddell smart enough to see this? Doubt it.

Rastak
09-12-2014, 09:21 PM
An indictment means felony means bad.

200 some pound man beating a four year old with a stick leaving all sorts of bruising and welts? Worse than than the Ray Rice deal by an East Texas Country Mile.

Is Baddell smart enough to see this? Doubt it.

Now that I have read a few more reports, this motherfucker is in deep shit. I think the Vikings are going to be awash in cap space next year.

George Cumby
09-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Now that I have read a few more reports, this motherfucker is in deep shit. I think the Vikings are going to be awash in cap space next year.

Lol!

Sorry, man, but I think you're right.......

I have never spanked either of my kids, 8 and 5, let alone taken the wood to them like that. Seriously, WTF?

Joemailman
09-12-2014, 09:29 PM
http://www.click2houston.com/news/attorney-vikings-adrian-peterson-indicted-in-montgomery-county/28035452

According to a police report, Peterson used a switch taken from a tree outside his home to discipline his 4-year-old son, who was visiting Peterson at his Montgomery County home back in May. The boy told police he pushed his brother off his bike and that's when his father got mad at him. He said his pants were down when Peterson hit him with the switch.

The boy's mother told police she was speaking to him via Skype while he was visiting Peterson and her son said he got a "whupping" with a switch from Peterson.

Investigators say the boy told them Peterson has hit him with a belt and punched him in the head on other occasions.

The police report states that upon returning to Minnesota, the mother took the boy to the doctor, who examined him and determined the injuries were consistent with the boy's story and consistent with physical abuse.

According to the police report, about a week later the boy's mother said Peterson apologized for what happened to their son. She told police Peterson said he didn't make the switch smooth enough and the ridges were what caused the marks.

Rastak
09-12-2014, 09:32 PM
Lol!

Sorry, man, but I think you're right.......

I have never spanked either of my kids, 8 and 5, let alone taken the wood to them like that. Seriously, WTF?

I got the shit beat out of me as a kid on the rare occassion from dear ole dad. But really, there better be some serious things missing from these reports or I have to say goodbye asshole.

pbmax
09-12-2014, 10:13 PM
nick wright ‏@getnickwright 4h
It should be understood that the photographs that some have published & I have possession of were taken at least a week after incident.

esoxx
09-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Bright man.

George Cumby
09-12-2014, 11:09 PM
Note to self: when caning the kids, be sure to use a SMOOTH stick. Not one with ridges and shit.

smuggler
09-12-2014, 11:38 PM
If that report is correct, and Peterson has hit this 4 year old in the head with a punch, well it's just disgusting. I have a 4 year old, and I cannot imagine her sustaining a punch from Adrian Peterson and not sustaining permanent damage...

Worse than Ray Rice by about 100 fold.

Rastak
09-12-2014, 11:52 PM
If that report is correct, and Peterson has hit this 4 year old in the head with a punch, well it's just disgusting. I have a 4 year old, and I cannot imagine her sustaining a punch from Adrian Peterson and not sustaining permanent damage...

Worse than Ray Rice by about 100 fold.

Probably best to stick to the facts but if all of it is true, he should be on the rock pile for a while.

Tex would likely take the tact of - if we kill the children and they can't testify can our guy play sunday?

call_me_ishmael
09-13-2014, 01:07 AM
What is so bad about this? This is a serious question. The scratches look very, very minor. It doesn't seem that bad to me. IDK, a black eye or bruises is a lot worse than a few small scratches. Scratches bleed - it's not like the kid was gushing blood or in serious danger. Is it right? No, but people should be able to parent how they seem fit. This doesn't seem like child abuse to me. It is definitely worrisome and something to keep an eye on - but I don't consider those scratches to be child abuse.

I would never personally discipline my child this way. I wasn't disciplined this way and I don't personally see a need for doing it. Having said that...

It's not like the kid was seriously hurt or anything. It doesn't seem careless, negligent or abusive. It just seems like really old school, bad parenting. There are a lot of parents out there doing a lot worse. Let's be honest... Adrian isn't going to jail or anything like that. This trial will be quickly followed up with a civil suit where he'll settle. It's all about the $$$

Patler
09-13-2014, 03:23 AM
Multiple whacks with a stick to thighs, back and butt of a 4-year old child, some of which caused lacerations and bruises visible a week later. A sucker punch to the face of an adult female knocking her out.

Investigatory photos of the injuries on the child a week after the fact. Security system video of the punch to the adult.

The ultimate dispositions of these cases by the NFL will be interesting to compare/contrast.

Patler
09-13-2014, 03:53 AM
What is so bad about this?

What is so bad about this? Let me start a list:

1. Any discipline to a 4 year old that causes physical injury is excessive. Discipline that causes "scratches" (as you call them) that are still that visible a week later was clearly excessive. Kids heal amazingly fast. Cuts disappear within a few days. If these were truly "scratches" when they occurred, there would have been little to see just a few days later.

2. This was to a 4 year old child.

3. The transgression for which the child was punished seems to be the type of act little kids do. Maybe it was wrong, but did the type of punishment fit the crime?

4. This was to a 4 year old child.

5. The description of the number and locations of the injuries indicates that the "discipline" went on for quite some time. Again, for pushing another off a bike? What type of punishment would there be for something more serious?

6. This was to a 4 year old child.

7. We might debate the merits of a spank or two to the butt with an open hand, prolonged whipping with a stick is less justifiable.

8. This was to a 4 year old child.

9. There is some indication that this was just one incident within a pattern of significant physical discipline.

10. This was a 4 year old child.

oldbutnotdeadyet
09-13-2014, 06:29 AM
All of us old timers can remember getting disciplined with garden hoses, belts and small trees but this sort of thing just ain't right (and of course I didn't think it was right at the time). Reports I am reading this morning suggest AP smacked this boy in the nuts, and left several marks on boy's kegs that he 'felt bad about'. His comments and actions suggest he was also beat as a child, but I for one believe this is not the sort of legacy that should be passed to today's children.

George Cumby
09-13-2014, 08:48 AM

1. Any discipline to a 4 year old that causes physical injury is excessive. Discipline that causes "scratches" (as you call them) that are still that visible a week later was clearly excessive. Kids heal amazingly fast. Cuts disappear within a few days. If these were truly "scratches" when they occurred, there would have been little to see just a few days later.

3. The transgression for which the child was punished seems to be the type of act little kids do. Maybe it was wrong, but did the type of punishment fit the crime?

5. The description of the number and locations of the injuries indicates that the "discipline" went on for quite some time. Again, for pushing another off a bike? What type of punishment would there be for something more serious?

7. We might debate the merits of a spank or two to the butt with an open hand, prolonged whipping with a stick is less justifiable.

9. There is some indication that this was just one incident within a pattern of significant physical discipline.

Thank you, sir.

I too received heavy-handed discipline and made the conscious decision to not pass that legacy on to my own kids.

There are other and better ways. I cannot imagine what my kids could possibly do to make me think "Beating them for a prolonged period with a stick is the appropriate disciplinary option."

3irty1
09-13-2014, 10:34 AM
That whoopin definitely looks to be of the extra legal variety.

I'm not saying this isn't a problem but I do believe Adrian's lawyers statement when he said he was using his best judgement as a parent. Meaning I can't imagine him losing his temper or getting drunk or any of the cliches and caning his kid. Somehow it makes sense to me that his standards and tough love are extreme and old school.

MadtownPacker
09-13-2014, 11:00 AM
The kid pushed some other kid off a bike, who knows how that shit went down but that kid could have got fucked up. Then he puts a pillow over fine kids face? Is that a way to play around?? I don't know the situation with baby momma but betting she lets little AP act like he is a king. Maybe AP saw the kid turning a bad direction and felt a strong message was needed. I'm an disgusted that he was even arrested. Sounds like he doesn't want his son to turn out to be a bad man and that's something this world can use.

Freak Out
09-13-2014, 11:09 AM
A 4 year old? Seriously AP? Well....the Jesus part of his nickname can be removed I'd say.

MadtownPacker
09-13-2014, 11:10 AM
I just read the part of the head punching, if true that is too far but if it had happen wouldnt momma had called the cops then? Probably a slap to the head. I know you guys keep saying "a 4 year old" but when exactly is the kid suppose to get straightened out? When he is 10 and doesn't give a fuck what anyone says? I'm sure many here feel that today's kids are selfish little bastards, how you think they got that way? It a different world from even when any of us grew up. If this is the cost to teach his son respect for others then so be it.

Tyrion Lannister
09-13-2014, 11:15 AM
The kid pushed some other kid off a bike, who knows how that shit went down but that kid could have got fucked up. Then he puts a pillow over fine kids face? Is that a way to play around?? I don't know the situation with baby momma but betting she lets little AP act like he is a king. Maybe AP saw the kid turning a bad direction and felt a strong message was needed. I'm an disgusted that he was even arrested. Sounds like he doesn't want his son to turn out to be a bad man and that's something this world can use.

The "Full House" punishment would be more humane. Call a time out, put a chair by a corner in a room. Let the kid sit there alone for a few minutes and then go talk to him about his misdeeds. Hug the kid.

Freak Out
09-13-2014, 11:18 AM
Sorry Poncho...there are better ways to teach a 4 year old manners and responsibility. The ONLY thing they learn when Dad beats them is to be afraid of Dad.

MadtownPacker
09-13-2014, 11:20 AM
Does anyone know if the imp is performing his act for us or is it serious?

MadtownPacker
09-13-2014, 11:21 AM
Sorry Poncho...there are better ways to teach a 4 year old manners and responsibility. The ONLY thing they learn when Dad beats them is to be afraid of Dad.
Did you get whipped, spanked, hit, etc as a kid?

Freak Out
09-13-2014, 11:30 AM
Did you get whipped, spanked, hit, etc as a kid?

Often.....never that young though....and my father never beat me so hard it left abrasions and bruises. The ONLY behavioral change it made was to make me more sneaky.

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2014, 11:35 AM
My dad was a wuss. He would go into a violent rage when I fell short of expectations, which was frequent. The ultimate punishment was a whipping with his belt. But he would do it so lightly I could barely feel it. Afterwards, my brother and I would laugh at our crazy dad.

oldbutnotdeadyet
09-13-2014, 11:37 AM

Alas, they often also learn to beat their own kids.

Rutnstrut
09-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Jesus fucking christ, this is a large part of what is wrong with this country. You can't discipline your kids without getting your ass thrown in jail.

Joemailman
09-13-2014, 11:53 AM
Jesus fucking christ, this is a large part of what is wrong with this country. You can't discipline your kids without getting your ass thrown in jail.

If you can't discipline your kids without getting your ass thrown in jail, maybe you're just a lousy parent.

Do you believe Ray Rice was just disciplining his woman?

oldbutnotdeadyet
09-13-2014, 11:58 AM

Discipline without beating. I remember the non-beating discipline (grounded, can't watch favorite shows on tv, can't use snowmobile, etc) much more than the beatings.

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2014, 12:12 PM
Adrian Peterson has never struck me as a guy with a promising future in rocket science.

MadtownPacker
09-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Discipline without beating. I remember the non-beating discipline (grounded, can't watch favorite shows on tv, can't use snowmobile, etc) much more than the beatings.
Can't ride the snowmobile?????

Hahahahahaha!! Why am I even bothering with you fuks. Bunch of spoiled, had it all except "my parents love" crybabies.

MadtownPacker
09-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Often.....never that young though....and my father never beat me so hard it left abrasions and bruises. The ONLY behavioral change it made was to make me more sneaky.so you are saying it made you smarter?

Did you ever do some really bad shit? I don't care how rugged you look, next time I see you I'm taking a switch to your ass!!!

MadtownPacker
09-13-2014, 12:40 PM
My dad was a wuss. He would go into a violent rage when I fell short of expectations, which was frequent. The ultimate punishment was a whipping with his belt. But he would do it so lightly I could barely feel it. Afterwards, my brother and I would laugh at our crazy dad.
You definitely needed some sessions with AP, look at what a pathetic man you turned out to be.

MadtownPacker
09-13-2014, 12:43 PM
If you can't discipline your kids without getting your ass thrown in jail, maybe you're just a lousy parent.

Do you believe Ray Rice was just disciplining his woman?
Bullshit tactic, AP wasn't all drunk, he was doing what he believes is right for his kid. The Rice situation isn't the same and you know it.

Fosco33
09-13-2014, 12:51 PM
My mom works for DSS / Children. Her take on corporal punishment - leave no bruises. And maybe some backlash for his other kid that died last year. Not sure about those rules for TX.

I.e., he's screwed. I'd say at least 6 games if not a season.

Joemailman
09-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Bullshit tactic, AP wasn't all drunk, he was doing what he believes is right for his kid. The Rice situation isn't the same and you know it.

What evidence do you have that Rice was drunk? There was nothing in the police report about it.

pbmax
09-13-2014, 02:28 PM
The kid pushed some other kid off a bike, who knows how that shit went down but that kid could have got fucked up. Then he puts a pillow over fine kids face? Is that a way to play around??

He pushed him off a video game bike simulator. The other kid wasn't doing 20 down the street.

Where did you get the pillow part from?

Cheesehead Craig
09-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Defending child abuse. What the fuck is wrong with this place.

pbmax
09-13-2014, 02:31 PM

Is the rule in your house "its not discipline until there is blood"?

You should try that at work. Next time someone screws up, punch them dead in the face. I am sure everyone will learn a lesson.

Cheesehead Craig
09-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Jesus fucking christ, this is a large part of what is wrong with this country. A grown man can't beat the shit out of his 4 yr old with a foreign object without getting your ass thrown in jail.

Fixed that for you to more elaborate your point.

oldbutnotdeadyet
09-13-2014, 02:45 PM
Can't ride the snowmobile?????

Hahahahahaha!! Why am I even bothering with you fuks. Bunch of spoiled, had it all except "my parents love" crybabies.

You forgot 'old'.

oldbutnotdeadyet
09-13-2014, 02:50 PM
And from what I read, AP is fully co-operating with the law because he essentially does not think he did anything wrong. A 200 lb plus football player punching a 4 year old IN THE FACE. NFL having a bad week...

Joemailman
09-13-2014, 03:08 PM
The kid pushed some other kid off a bike, who knows how that shit went down but that kid could have got fucked up. Then he puts a pillow over fine kids face? Is that a way to play around??

We did more than that. We swung the pillows at each other. Called 'em pillow fights when we were kids. I don't know how we survived that.

Rutnstrut
09-13-2014, 03:16 PM
And from what I read, AP is fully co-operating with the law because he essentially does not think he did anything wrong. A 200 lb plus football player punching a 4 year old IN THE FACE. NFL having a bad week...

where is the punching the kid in the face part coming from? I thought he just swatted him with a switch, if he did punch the kid, that's going too far.

pbmax
09-13-2014, 03:34 PM
where is the punching the kid in the face part coming from? I thought he just swatted him with a switch, if he did punch the kid, that's going too far.

From here: http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/exclusive-details-on-adrian-peterson-indictment-charges/

Some tidbits like AP is apparently not an expert in how to use a switch (genius resorting to violence to discipline a child doesn't know that the end of the switch, like a whip, is traveling fastest, not the blunt middle he was probably swatting into his backside with):

Peterson also allegedly said via text message to the child’s mother that he “felt bad after the fact when I notice the switch was wrapping around hitting I (sic) thigh” and also acknowledged the injury to the child’s scrotum in a text message, saying, “Got him in nuts once I noticed. But I felt so bad, n I’m all tearing that butt up when needed! I start putting them in timeout. N save the whooping for needed memories!”

Here is the bit about being punched:

According to police reports, the child, however, had a slightly different story, telling authorities that “Daddy Peterson hit me on my face.” The child also expressed worry that Peterson would punch him in the face if the child reported the incident to authorities. He also said that he had been hit by a belt and that “there are a lot of belts in Daddy’s closet.” He added that Peterson put leaves in his mouth when he was being hit with the switch while his pants were down. The child told his mother that Peterson “likes belts and switches” and “has a whooping room.”

Cheesehead Craig
09-13-2014, 03:40 PM
Pb got the link up before I did.

MadtownPacker
09-13-2014, 04:39 PM
He pushed him off a video game bike simulator. The other kid wasn't doing 20 down the street.

Where did you get the pillow part from?
Still a matter of respecting others.

The video on one of these links mentioned it. It was a Minnesota news station I believe.

MadtownPacker
09-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Defending child abuse. What the fuck is wrong with this place.
Like rutnstrut and myself said, punching in the head is going too far.

Talking a lot of shit for the guy who has an avatar of a 4 year old looking kid probably getting brain damage.

gbgary
09-13-2014, 05:25 PM
peterson overreacted and now faces the consequences.

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2014, 05:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_HuhUSNjG0

George Cumby
09-13-2014, 05:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_HuhUSNjG0

"My name is Luka, I live on the second flooooooor"

Cheesehead Craig
09-13-2014, 06:07 PM
Like rutnstrut and myself said, punching in the head is going too far.

Talking a lot of shit for the guy who has an avatar of a 4 year old looking kid probably getting brain damage.

I'll talk all the shit I want to just like you will.

Rastak
09-13-2014, 06:33 PM
peterson overreacted and now faces the consequences.

The punching in the head stuff is what the kid said, might be 100% true, might be a complete fabrication. There's no way to know.

In my mind, there is no justification for whipping a 4 year old bloody with a stick. I am not opposed to spanking a kid, but people that carry it way too far I can't respect or understand.

All in all a very disappointing weekend. As an old dude I'm not into hero worship but as my favorite player in the NFL I do feel a short sharp kick to the nuts.

Jimx29
09-13-2014, 07:07 PM

11. The pics were a week old. Gotta figure they looked a lot more serious right afterwards.

As an aside.....In all my 55+ years, I have been constantly amazed (and usually greatly humored) by the ways/hows the vikings can fuck things up, but something off-field like this from AP.......well, I would of never guessed it in a hundred lifetimes

George Cumby
09-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Actually, a week after is when shit looks the worst.

But like Patler says, kids heal FAST, so that says something about how severe the beating was.

Wrap-around bruising is indicative of child abuse.

MadtownPacker
09-13-2014, 08:08 PM
I'll talk all the shit I want to just like you will.
Nice response but you dodged my point about the poor kid in your avatar. Don't you feel bad for the lil guy? He didn't even do nada wrong. :lol:

Rastak
09-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Nice response but you dodged my point about the poor kid in your avatar. Don't you feel bad for the lil guy? He didn't even do nada wrong. :lol:

Hey Mad, you own this joint again or just another hombre?

George Cumby
09-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Mad,

I like your point about baby momma raising a narcissistic little bastard. I also like your point that many of us here, as middle-class Americans have it so good we don't know how good we got it.

Rest assured, I KNOW how lucky Americans are. And beating the fuck out of your kid with a stick don't fly, no matter one's position in the socio-economic spectrum.

I've spent enough time in shitty neighborhoods in the Central Valley to know how fucked shit is. This isn't political, don't ban me. Or you can ban me, I don't really give a fuck.

digitaldean
09-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Wow. I have disciplined my kids but not by ripping a tree branch and whaling on them with it. Corporal punishment is OK IMO, but the extent that was outlined was over the line.

So, though it is far less important than the event in Texas, how does this affect the Vikes now?

Rastak
09-13-2014, 08:25 PM
Mad,

I like your point about baby momma raising a narcissistic little bastard. I also like your point that many of us here, as middle-class Americans have it so good we don't know how good we got it.

Rest assured, I KNOW how lucky Americans are. And beating the fuck out of your kid with a stick don't fly, no matter one's position in the socio-economic spectrum.

I've spent enough time in shitty neighborhoods in the Central Valley to know how fucked shit is. This isn't political, don't ban me. Or you can ban me, I don't really give a fuck.

Part of the reason the world is so fucked up is people can't discipline their kids. In my case the threat and execution of getting my ass whipped with a belt did indeed keep me in line. But whipping the living shit out of a four year old is not now nor will ever be acceptable.

So while Mad is right sort of, there are degrees of things and this line got crossed far and wide from where I sit.

George Cumby
09-13-2014, 08:29 PM
Agreed, Ras. Discipline is key. Discipline. Not abuse.

Rastak
09-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Wow. I have disciplined my kids but not by ripping a tree branch and whaling on them with it. Corporal punishment is OK IMO, but the extent that was outlined was over the line.

So, though it is far less important than the event in Texas, how does this affect the Vikes now?

Digital, that my friend is a good question. As I am bored as hell I will pontificate on the subject.

Adrian Peterson is not yet over the hill so this will sting (no pun intended). There has been alot of debate in Minnesota of how the Vikings can justify his cap numbers given the devaluation of the running back in the NFL. I believe next year or the year after is the sweet spot for dumping his contract. Normally RBs fall straight off a cliff at 30. He's 29. Peterson is no ordinary dude. I bet he has a at least 2-3 more productive years in him so this hurts the Vikings alot in the short term. If they get out from under his contract at the end of this year they will have alot of flexibility so it isn't a killing blow at all, but does damage them this season in my opinion. McKinnon looks like he could be a dynamic back and Banyard looked good the last couple pre-seasons but let's face it......there will be a big drop off.

I'm curious to see how they handle this. They would be perfectly within their rights to let the legal system take it's course and let him play after this weekend but the Wilfs might take a dim view of trotting him out there given the charges and the leaked evidence.

Freak Out
09-13-2014, 09:02 PM
The parents running that petting zoo are now behind bars :)

Freak Out
09-13-2014, 09:08 PM
so you are saying it made you smarter?

Did you ever do some really bad shit? I don't care how rugged you look, next time I see you I'm taking a switch to your ass!!!

I never did anything really bad...I stayed out late or snuck off when I was supposed to stay in the yard....scared the shit out of mom. Pretty minor stuff but the norm was to spank your kid. Hell...in school the principle still had paddles in my time. That said I never got the switch/hotwheel track until I was able to understand what i was getting wooped for. You put a 4 year old in the corner and take the toys away....you don't beat them.

HarveyWallbangers
09-13-2014, 09:11 PM
The punching in the head stuff is what the kid said, might be 100% true, might be a complete fabrication. There's no way to know.

In my mind, there is no justification for whipping a 4 year old bloody with a stick. I am not opposed to spanking a kid, but people that carry it way too far I can't respect or understand.

All in all a very disappointing weekend. As an old dude I'm not into hero worship but as my favorite player in the NFL I do feel a short sharp kick to the nuts.

Sorry to see this thing go down, Ras. I've always had massive respect for Peterson and defended him when he said some awkward things (kind of like Reggie White with his stereotyping speech; his heart was in the right place). Much respect to you for coming here and addressing the situation.

MadtownPacker
09-13-2014, 09:12 PM
Mad,

I was really accepting of your post until that last part. That's why I hardly get into threads anymore because it always comes up. Guess I just expect more from some folks.

George Cumby
09-13-2014, 09:13 PM
Sorry to see this thing go down, Ras. I've always had massive respect for Peterson and defended him when he said some awkward things (kind of like Reggie White with his stereotyping speech; his heart was in the right place). Much respect to you for coming here and addressing the situation.

Indeed. Ras is a Man.

Rastak
09-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the kind words Harv and George.

I think it's a tribute to this forum that there can be a discussion without a bunch of childish barbs going back and forth. This is to a lesser extent shocking to me like the allegations against Darren Sharper. Say Sharper stayed with the Packers and just retired, what kind of dink would post "Ha Ha, you guys are clowns, Ha Ha"

It's serious shit and does kind of rise above the hate we feel for each other on sundays....;-)

George Cumby
09-13-2014, 09:22 PM
I was really accepting of your post until that last part. That's why I hardly get into threads anymore because it always comes up. Guess I just expect more from some folks.

I apologize if I offended. If I was being patronizing or otherwise. That was not my intent.

Rastak
09-13-2014, 09:25 PM
Let's sing we are the world. Then we can discuss football and insult each other there.

George Cumby
09-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Let's sing we are the world. Then we can discuss football and insult each other there.

Fuck you you purple wearing homo!

Rastak
09-13-2014, 09:39 PM
Fuck you you purple wearing homo!

Shove it up your ass......

There, now that's better.

George Cumby
09-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Shove it up your ass......

There, now that's better.

That's the Spirit!

Fag.

Joemailman
09-13-2014, 10:22 PM
I wonder if they have Roger Goodell on suicide watch.

red
09-13-2014, 10:31 PM
I wonder if they have Roger Goodell on suicide watch.

someone should be checking bridges in new york, just to make sure he jumps

if i knew he was in the UP or wisconsin, i would be driving around with a loud speaker on my roof, telling him that his mother was pro abortion after she had him. or that his father went to the grave wishing he had a daughter instead, so it would be easier to explain to his friends why his child was a giant fairy pussy

just in case he had any doubts about jumping

George Cumby
09-13-2014, 10:38 PM

if i knew he was in the UP or wisconsin, i would be driving around with a loud speaker on my roof, telling him that his mother was pro abortion after she had him. or that his father went to the grave wishing he had a daughter instead, so it would be easier to explain to his friends why his child was a giant fairy pussy

I can't believe he was the winning sperm.

pbmax
09-13-2014, 10:59 PM
1. Always glad to see Ras here. Don't agree world is screwed and don't agree more physical discipline is needed for what trouble remains. I tend to associate "the world is going down the tubes" viewpoint with watching too much TV news. Ras can tell me whether my theory holds for him or not. :)

2. Goodell will survive but the aura of invincibility is over; now he will get press treatment closer to Selig. And nowhere as near as deferential as Stern. Owners still support him but the teflon is gone. The biggest cost of this fiasco is that he is probably going to lose his Czat status as judge and jury over HGH and probably will lose it over Personal Conduct after all is said and done. Those are two good things to come out of horrible situations. Presiding over the Peterson case will be tough because while the the age, the switch, the punch and the injury to the scrotum make it egregious, the idea of corporal punishment is not universally disapproved.

3. Personal experience with paddling. The fear of those paddles never changed much behavior. It moved it to other venues or encouraged cover ups. In that way paddling is like prohibition.

Rastak
09-13-2014, 11:16 PM
1. Always glad to see Ras here. Don't agree world is screwed and don't agree more physical discipline is needed for what trouble remains. I tend to associate "the world is going down the tubes" viewpoint with watching too much TV news. Ras can tell me whether my theory holds for him or not. :)

2. Goodell will survive but the aura of invincibility is over; now he will get press treatment closer to Selig. And nowhere as near as deferential as Stern. Owners still support him but the teflon is gone. The biggest cost of this fiasco is that he is probably going to lose his Czat status as judge and jury over HGH and probably will lose it over Personal Conduct after all is said and done. Those are two good things to come out of horrible situations. Presiding over the Peterson case will be tough because while the the age, the switch, the punch and the injury to the scrotum make it egregious, the idea of corporal punishment is not universally disapproved.

3. Personal experience with paddling. The fear of those paddles never changed much behavior. It moved it to other venues or encouraged cover ups. In that way paddling is like prohibition.

1) My wife has the news on all the time and frankly, I don't want to hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeZRdd_1b4g

Blood on the rooftops. I'm trying my best to hide from it. The world is screwed.

2) Solid points. I agree.

3) It worked on me. Then again, it was pretty violent and a very real threat. I never felt like it was Bill Cosby saying "Don't make me get the belt" with a smile.

Joemailman
09-14-2014, 12:34 AM

So....I take it you don't like Goodell?

VegasPackFan
09-14-2014, 01:05 AM
The problem for AP and the NFL is that the press smells blood in the water after the Rice incident. The mostly liberal leaning mass media is definitely anti-discipline of any physical type. So it doesn't matter that most people probably don't have a problem with physical discipline (even though this appears to be extreme). It's the same as the Redskins issue. A vast majority of this country just doesn't care about that issue but the media won't let it go. It's gonna be the same with this one. They are going to crucify him. I bet he NEVER plays again in the NFL.

Rastak
09-14-2014, 01:08 AM
The problem for AP and the NFL is that the press smells blood in the water after the Rice incident. The mostly liberal leaning mass media is definitely anti-discipline of any physical type. So it doesn't matter that most people probably don't have a problem with physical discipline (even though this appears to be extreme). It's the same as the Redskins issue. A vast majority of this country just doesn't care about that issue but the media won't let it go. It's gonna be the same with this one. They are going to crucify him. I bet he NEVER plays again in the NFL.

I kinda doubt that. He's not even being treated with the new domestic policy, simply the Personal conduct policy......that said, I would expect the book to be thrown at him.

VegasPackFan
09-14-2014, 01:18 AM
I don't know. Who's willing to absorb the PR nightmare of having him play? You underestimate the power of the press.

pbmax
09-14-2014, 09:27 AM

You are begging your own question. On the one hand saying that most parents would not object to physical discipline and just the press gets ginned up about it. But parenthetically acknowledge this wasn't just a spanking.

I don't think this makes the news if he spanked the kid, which would qualify as physical discipline. The cuts, blood, damage to a scrotum and punch to the head mean he inflicted bodily injury and didn't just tan the kid's hide. Those pictures tell a story of physical discipline most parents don't use - whip until there is blood multiple times.

But the biggest driver of the story is the indictment. A previous Grand Jury passed on handing down an indictment, but a recent one did. Why the change and why they re-submitted is the unexplored part of this story (to me anyway, I haven't even seen speculation why).

The one thing, outside of the choice of a switch he doesn't know how to use, that speaks to me about Peterson as an individual is a comment he made in the text messages that have been published in screen shots. He tells the Mother that he admires that the kid took it without tears but that his resistance to an outburst means this method of punishment will need to be discarded and he will need to come up with a new plan.

So Peterson is choosing a punishment to get a particular reaction out of a child rather than one that will simply impart the lesson. He has moved past the kid's transgression and now made it personal between himself and the child. The important part is how the child reacts to what Peterson is doing. Which means the original lesson is lost on both of them and they are playing an entirely different game.

Pugger
09-14-2014, 09:36 AM
I hope they throw him in jail until he rots. No sane person would ever think this is acceptable behavior. What terrible deed could a 4 year old do to warrant this type of barbaric torture? That child will have scars that will never heal. :sad:

hoosier
09-14-2014, 09:41 AM

Agree with all of these points, except that the world is going down the tubes cannot be just a function of too much news on the tube. If you don't believe me, check out a Harpers from 1860 and you'll see that the state of the world was no different then than it is now. Or Plato for that matter. It would seem that things have been getting worse and worse in the world ever since people started talking about it.

sharpe1027
09-14-2014, 09:45 AM

That, and the fact that it was a 4 year old kid.

oldbutnotdeadyet
09-14-2014, 10:09 AM
And he smacked the poor kid in the nuts....I mean, come on man...

smuggler
09-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Counselling and community service should do it on the legal side of things, with the understanding that further such excessive discipline will meet with more intense consequences.

Of course, the worst of it will be from the public, which as we know is an unforgiving and bloodthirsty mob.

pbmax
09-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Agree with all of these points, except that the world is going down the tubes cannot be just a function of too much news on the tube. If you don't believe me, check out a Harpers from 1860 and you'll see that the state of the world was no different then than it is now. Or Plato for that matter. It would seem that things have been getting worse and worse in the world ever since people started talking about it.

Fair point.

Cheesehead Craig
09-14-2014, 10:40 AM

Apologies, I got all wrapped up in my righteous anger yesterday. Shouldn't have said that this place was defending child abuse. Can we hug it out?

VegasPackFan
09-14-2014, 11:13 AM
To clarify, my personal opinion is that this is egregious, abusive and totally wrong. I'm also pointing out that the press will go after AP with everything they have on this. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up uncovering other incidents with him with more of his children. Stay tuned. My other point is I think he is DONE for his career.

Rastak
09-14-2014, 11:41 AM
To clarify, my personal opinion is that this is egregious, abusive and totally wrong. I'm also pointing out that the press will go after AP with everything they have on this. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up uncovering other incidents with him with more of his children. Stay tuned. My other point is I think he is DONE for his career.

I highly doubt that. Might be the end in Minnesota but not in the league.

Patler
09-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Has the Ray Rice situation not taught us anything? We should realize that in the wisdom of the league, for star players the event is not very serious unless there is a video to show the brutality of it. I doubt the pictures will be enough.

AP will play again somewhere. I don't have any feel for how the MN ownership will handle it, so I will defer to Rastak's opinion on that.

Guiness
09-14-2014, 02:01 PM

Judging by the text messages with the mother, I don't think there is any doubt there were other incidents, with this or other kids, that are going to come up. It was obvious that this sort of punishment is the norm for him. Did it go this far other times? Don't know yet, I'd bet we eventually will.

As to your other point, will he play again? Don't know. I'd be surprised if he did this season, but after that I'd say it's probable, there's a lot of precedent for players coming back after behavior that landed them in jail, like Vick, Jolly and Burress. He needs to change his attitude, and convince the public he did, but if he can do that he should have a job in the NFL.

Cheesehead Craig
09-14-2014, 02:10 PM
From what I've heard here locally is that AP likely wont get jail time given what has happened in the past for charges similar to his. The NFL either goes way too light or overboard. Given they went too light with Rice to start with and got creamed, they likely will go big on the AP punishment. I really think that AP is Eventually going to be released by MN over this. Is he done? I dont think so, someone will pick him up next season.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2014, 02:11 PM
He'll stay in Minnesota. But I can't see him playing this season.

People in Minnesota aren't going to be any more down on AP than people anywhere else. AP will go through redemption cycle, he needs a time out.

pbmax
09-14-2014, 08:32 PM
I think he is back this year. Whether Minnesota still wants him is another question all-together.

A lot depends on Goodell and if he wants to wait for the court case to play out. If they hand down a suspension now, he's back this season.

Joemailman
09-15-2014, 11:30 AM
Peterson activated for Sunday:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000395198/article/adrian-peterson-activated-expected-to-play-sunday

"Today's decision was made after significant thought, discussion and consideration. As evidenced by our decision to deactivate Adrian from yesterday's game, this is clearly a very important issue. On Friday, we felt it was in the best interests of the organization to step back, evaluate the situation, and not rush to judgment given the seriousness of this matter. At that time, we made the decision that we felt was best for the Vikings and all parties involved.

"To be clear, we take very seriously any matter that involves the welfare of a child. At this time, however, we believe this is a matter of due process and we should allow the legal system to proceed so we can come to the most effective conclusions and then determine the appropriate course of action. This is a difficult path to navigate, and our focus is on doing the right thing. Currently we believe we are at a juncture where the most appropriate next step is to allow the judicial process to move forward.

"We will continue to monitor the situation closely and support Adrian's fulfillment of his legal responsibilities throughout this process."

Peterson's case will also be reviewed by the league under the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy.

pbmax
09-15-2014, 12:05 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1h
Goodell hired 3 senior advisors – Lisa Friel, Jane Randel and Rita Smith – to shape @NFL’s domestic violence and sexual assault policies.

Something about those names seems a little off for the NFL, but I just can't quite put my finger on it ...

Joemailman
09-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1h
Goodell hired 3 senior advisors – Lisa Friel, Jane Randel and Rita Smith – to shape @NFL’s domestic violence and sexual assault policies.

Something about those names seems a little off for the NFL, but I just can't quite put my finger on it ...

Playbooks are being replaced by annual subscriptions to O Magazine.

Guiness
09-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Vikings now saying AP will play this coming week-end, it was just a one game time-out while they 'evaluated the situation'. I think the evaluation was 'we los

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/15/vikings-owner-says-adrian-peterson-will-play-this-week/

Joemailman
09-15-2014, 12:52 PM
The fact that the Vikings are activating him doesn't mean the NFL can't suspend him. I think the Vikings are simply throwing this into Goodell's lap.

Cheesehead Craig
09-15-2014, 01:27 PM
The fact that the Vikings are activating him doesn't mean the NFL can't suspend him. I think the Vikings are simply throwing this into Goodell's lap.

Exactly correct. They are going to play him until the league says no. Besides, he's their entire offense and only chance at winning games.

hoosier
09-15-2014, 01:40 PM
If AP is the difference between 6-10 and 3-13 then I say let him play out the season.

MadScientist
09-15-2014, 01:58 PM

Exactly correct. They are going to play him until the league says no. Besides, he's their entire offense and only chance at winning games.

There's also a limit to what the Vikings are really allowed to do in this case:

...the CBA was reconfigured in 2006 specifically to prevent teams from putting players on ice for reasons unrelated to skill or health (thanks to the T.O. case in Philly)...http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/15/hardy-may-not-be-playing-for-a-while/

The Vikings are playing this the way the rules are written.

3irty1
09-15-2014, 01:59 PM
With our luck Jerry Richardson will follow suit just in time to activate Greg Hardy when we play the Panthers. Then Goodell will issue a suspension right after he gets 4 sacks in the game.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Peterson activated for Sunday:

This is going to go over like a Led Zepplin

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2014, 02:18 PM

Maybe. But it is a terrible PR move for the Vikings.

pbmax
09-15-2014, 02:36 PM
There's also a limit to what the Vikings are really allowed to do in this case:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/15/hardy-may-not-be-playing-for-a-while/

The Vikings are playing this the way the rules are written.

Vikes could go for 4 games on conduct detrimental to the team.

Joemailman
09-15-2014, 02:43 PM

It's a tough situation. They're probably Dazed And Confused.

Cheesehead Craig
09-15-2014, 03:11 PM

Still waiting for the Vikes to go with the Immigrant Song and video for when the players take the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApxnAr6pRt0

Zool
09-15-2014, 04:36 PM
And as always, the mighty Vikings are who we thought they were.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2009/4/1/1238602430642/Outlander-001.jpg

pbmax
09-15-2014, 04:36 PM
It boils down to a Communication Breakdown within the family.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2014, 05:38 PM
Vikes could go for 4 games on conduct detrimental to the team.

Sounds like the NFL takes child abuse about as seriously as it takes domestic abuse.

When the Penn State football program enabled an abuse of a more horrible extent, the NCAA didnt shut down football for even a single game.

I'm a firm believer that when something horrible happens, you shut the player or program down for a season. That is the only way to focus minds, accept responsibility, make changes. I'm not for any punishment beyond that, everybody gets another chance.

But no, that's not how things work. Football rules.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2014, 06:03 PM
I think a four game suspension for Peterson might be about right. I can't get too high and mighty on that.

Still, I would go for an automatic whole year for all such incidents as a way for the NFL to make a statement about the seriousness of child abuse or domestic abuse.

Rastak
09-15-2014, 06:28 PM

With all due respect that's kind of BS. He had a minor role is the week one win and Cassel's shitty play sealed their fate in week two.

Is he important? Yes. Is he everything? No....which I was I'm guess this may be his last year with the team. He's hurt alot and I believe his production will begin to decline shortly. But you never know with that guy.

As for them punting to the league, it does make sense. The new CBA doesn't allow for punitive deactivations anymore and they can hardly make the argument Asiata's better. He won't be tried on this for a year so what do you do?

Anyway, star player versus scrub.....if anyone surprised they get treated differently, well that would surprise me.

I personally thought they would deactivate him while they shipped him off to a counselor but it seems he's already seeing one.

VegasPackFan
09-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Oh boy, here we go:

https://twitter.com/KHOU/status/511644523861004288

New accusations with another child. As I predicted, this is gonna get worse before it gets better.

hoosier
09-15-2014, 07:21 PM
He has gone from sounding like a very traditional authoritarian to a serial child abuser.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2014, 07:32 PM
He has gone from sounding like a very traditional authoritarian to a serial child abuser.

AP has got a screw loose. A fucking 4-year-old badly beaten? The problem was obvious from the first incident.

I am disappointed that people were ready to ban Michael Vick for life, but slap AP on the wrist.

Any and all of these abuse situations - women, children, animals - need to be taken very seriously. Time is very important for the abuser and the public to work-through the issues. I really think a year away from sports is important and should be automatic. Forgiveness always should be there, and forgiveness based on the hope, not certainty, that the person has been changed. You gotta hope for the best.

AP is still insisting that he did nothing very wrong. Obviously he'll need a year to figure it out.

Rastak
09-15-2014, 07:41 PM
And he kicks me in the nuts again. Thanks.

pbmax
09-15-2014, 07:48 PM
If the child had just held still during the whupping, he wouldn't have been bleeding from hitting his head on his car seat.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24711291/report-adrian-peterson-injured-another-son-while-disciplining-him

Vikes message board closes over Peterson reinstatement: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24711321/vikings-message-board-shuts-down-calls-teams-handling-of-peterson-cowardly

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2014, 08:24 PM
Vikes message board closes over Peterson reinstatement: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24711321/vikings-message-board-shuts-down-calls-teams-handling-of-peterson-cowardly

Awesome. :bclap:

But it begs the question, what will it take for Madtown to shutdown this board?
It's a long time coming.

Rastak
09-15-2014, 08:38 PM

It's a long time coming.

I refuse to join a club that would have me as a member.

VegasPackFan
09-15-2014, 08:48 PM
I think the Vikings reinstating him was a big mistake.

hoosier
09-15-2014, 09:03 PM
Time for the Vikings ownership to reverse itself and unreinstate him, or is reuninstate him. Harlan is right, he sounds like is not at all ok in the head.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Time for the Vikings ownership to reverse itself and unreinstate him

G.M. Rick Spielman's statement today was a disgrace, he needs to resign. The Vikings clearly did not take this seriously.

Jimx29
09-15-2014, 09:53 PM
Time for the Vikings ownership to reverse itself and unreinstate him, or is reuninstate him. Harlan is right, he sounds like is not at all ok in the head.
*Cue the "I blame it on all the concussions" salvo from the peterson defenders

Carolina_Packer
09-15-2014, 09:54 PM
Below is an excerpt from the article that PBM linked above: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24711291/report-adrian-peterson-injured-another-son-while-disciplining-him

“To be clear, we take very seriously any matter that involves the welfare of a child,” team owners Zygi and Mark Wilf said in a statement. “At this time, however, we believe this is a matter of due process and we should allow the legal system to proceed so we can come to the most effective conclusions and then determine the appropriate course of action.”

Wilfs, you do not need the legal system to tell you what to do in this case. You can show leadership by sitting him longer, even if it costs you money to deactivate him and pay him his game check.

pbmax
09-15-2014, 10:18 PM
G.M. Rick Spielman's statement today was a disgrace, he needs to resign. The Vikings clearly did not take this seriously.

He said today they had seen the "file". I wonder what he was looking at and if it included the older (new to public) charge?

Freak Out
09-15-2014, 10:22 PM
How many kids does Purple Satan have?

Freak Out
09-15-2014, 10:24 PM
...and for years my mother always told me.."watch out..or AP will come get you!" Always kept me in line.

pbmax
09-15-2014, 11:15 PM
At least the Vikings were out in front on this one, unlike the NFL and Rice.

VIKINGS KNEW OF OTHER ABUSE ACCUSATION, REINSTATED PETERSON ANYWAY (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/15/vikings-knew-of-other-peterson-abuse-accusation-reinstated-him-anyway/)

George Cumby
09-15-2014, 11:16 PM
Two four year olds by different mothers. Hmmmmmmnnnn........ I didn't know Jesus got around so much.........

George Cumby
09-15-2014, 11:19 PM
At least the Vikings were out in front on this one, unlike the NFL and Rice.

VIKINGS KNEW OF OTHER ABUSE ACCUSATION, REINSTATED PETERSON ANYWAY (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/15/vikings-knew-of-other-peterson-abuse-accusation-reinstated-him-anyway/)

Ohferfuxsake.

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2014, 12:41 AM
How many kids does Purple Satan have?

7 children, 5 different mothers.

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2014, 01:02 AM
Anybody else get a creepy feeling when his kid referred to him as "Daddy Peterson"?

After the game tonight, ESPN had Ray Lewis on a panel advising the NFL on protecting its reputation. I can hardly describe how awkward this was.
Somebody's tweet, "Ray Lewis had some killer advice on the Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson situations."

3irty1
09-16-2014, 07:00 AM
Anybody else get a creepy feeling when his kid referred to him as "Daddy Peterson"?

After the game tonight, ESPN had Ray Lewis on a panel advising the NFL on protecting its reputation. I can hardly describe how awkward this was.
Somebody's tweet, "Ray Lewis had some killer advice on the Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson situations."

Kid must have two dads. Knew it!

pbmax
09-16-2014, 07:43 AM

You'd think he would have developed some other parenting skills with that kind of brood.

ThunderDan
09-16-2014, 07:54 AM
Radisson pulls corporate sponsorship with Vikings!

ThunderDan
09-16-2014, 07:58 AM
Radisson pulls corporate sponsorship with Vikings!

To me this is the beginning of the end for AP. When money stops flowing into the NFL, they will listen and do what is needed to keep the money flowing.

hoosier
09-16-2014, 08:13 AM

All I could think of was Dennis Hopper wearing a helium mask and saying "Daddy's home!"

Cheesehead Craig
09-16-2014, 08:16 AM
I really feel bad for their HC Zimmer. This guy is being put in some really awkward places. He was on the local radio yesterday and you could just feel that he didn't know how to explain why AP was reactivated. The radio guy just kept coming at him about APs actions and Zimmer just was floundering. They guy is in a hell of a tough spot.

oldbutnotdeadyet
09-16-2014, 08:29 AM
I really feel bad for their HC Zimmer. This guy is being put in some really awkward places. He was on the local radio yesterday and you could just feel that he didn't know how to explain why AP was reactivated. The radio guy just kept coming at him about APs actions and Zimmer just was floundering. They guy is in a hell of a tough spot.

Maybe, but I get the feeling he knows where is bread is buttered. I wonder if the NFL will implement classes on how to handle this sort of thing. Would be better than cue cards.

denverYooper
09-16-2014, 08:38 AM
Two four year olds by different mothers. Hmmmmmmnnnn........ I didn't know Jesus got around so much.........

You don't hear much about the first 30 years.

denverYooper
09-16-2014, 08:41 AM

It's a long time coming.

We need to let due process run its course.

pbmax
09-16-2014, 09:10 AM
You don't hear much about the first 30 years.

Biblical. +1

ThunderDan
09-16-2014, 10:10 AM

Trent Dilfer said something about this last night after the game.

It was the Wilf's decision and then they made the GM and Head Coach go in front of the media and explain it. Both were unprepared for the follow questions after reading their statements off of cue cards.

MadtownPacker
09-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Wow, he truly is All Day!!

MadtownPacker
09-16-2014, 11:53 AM

It's a long time coming.
There was a device implanted in your chest (it was inserted anally because we wanted to take the scenic route) that is set to self destruct the site once your heart stops beating.

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2014, 11:54 AM
Vikings handing out purple switches to fans this Sunday.

MadtownPacker
09-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Vikings handing out purple switches to fans this Sunday.
Haha!! May you live forever!!!

http://emerdelac.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/p1010824-medium.jpg

Striker
09-16-2014, 12:52 PM
When you've lost the fans, you've lost. And by that standard, the Minnesota Vikings are in trouble.

VikingsMessageBoard.com, a longtime board devoted to discussion of the Minnesota Vikings, has shut down forever because of its owners' disgust with the burgeoning Adrian Peterson scandal. And oh, are there plenty of people to be disgusted at. Sure, there's Peterson himself, indicted on charges of child abuse. But the proprietors of the message board also offered the following note, via SB Nation:

Vikings Message Board has been shut down permanently. It will not return. There are two primary reasons.

1. The Vikings' cowardly decision to reinstate a child abuser and think that an apology will make this blow over. We will not stand for this arrogance and we will no longer be the home of any support of the Vikings. We stand for those who cannot defend themselves.

2. We will not give a voice to thugs who think child abuse is "cultural" or worse, openly advocate child abuse as a reasonable method of punishment. This ends here. Yes, a few board members have ruined it for everyone. Congratulations, [jerks].

So there you go. This is why the Internet can't have nice things, and this is why the NFL and its teams are fumbling these current controversies so badly. There are plenty of reasonable NFL fans disgusted with every angle of this story, and now, they've got one less outlet for their views.

Yahoo Sports' comments remain open below, and we are certain that you will offer insightful, measured responses to both this and the Adrian Peterson story as a whole

Seems like the Vikes fanbase is fracturing a bit. Rube Chat is blowing up.

hoosier
09-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Q: How do you keep AP from beating his kid?

A: Tell AP it's a playoff game.

Teamcheez1
09-16-2014, 03:40 PM
The Vikings Love Boat has hit an iceberg, and the Zygi Wilf band plays on.

VegasPackFan
09-16-2014, 08:38 PM
I had read that the 7 kids 5 moms thing is only speculated, as AP has refused to divulge such information. Which means it could me even more.

Now there's a story on ESPN describing the discipline he experienced from his dad while growing up in TX. WHO CARES?!

This is turning into the exact circus I figured it would.

call_me_ishmael
09-16-2014, 10:46 PM
After careful consideration I've revised my stance on this. The child was 4. That is too young to be disciplining them as such. I can see spanking a 10 year old or something. 4 year old is just too young.

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2014, 01:18 AM
I've changed my mind on this too. It takes a little while to absorb what happened. The little kid was stripped naked, lashed many times all over his body causing cuts. His hands were all cut up from trying to defend himself. Leaves stuffed in his mouth to shut him up.
Daddy Peterson.

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2014, 01:45 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/criticism-mounting-for-vikings-adrian-peterson/2014/09/16/47731c36-3e0b-11e4-a430-b82a3e67b762_story.html

Thank God, the complete madness is over. This has been a good lesson.

Jimx29
09-17-2014, 02:00 AM
I like the "permanent suspension" wording better than permissions list
http://ow.ly/BAr3x

Joemailman
09-17-2014, 05:38 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/criticism-mounting-for-vikings-adrian-peterson/2014/09/16/47731c36-3e0b-11e4-a430-b82a3e67b762_story.html

Thank God, the complete madness is over. This has been a good lesson.

Let's hope so. Don't the Wilf's realize there are fantasy football owners all over this country who need to know one way or the other whether Peterson is going to play?

Carolina_Packer
09-17-2014, 05:59 AM
This part of the Wilfs statement is particularly laughable (not that the situation causing the decision is at all laughable):

"We are always focused on trying to make the right decision as an organization. We embrace our role – and the responsibilities that go with it – as a leader in the community, as a business partner and as an organization that can build bridges with our fans and positively impact this great region. We appreciate and value the input we have received from our fans, our partners and the community."

Translation...when the bottom line started to be affected, we realized we messed up and reversed our previous snap decision.

I'm not sure what the rush was to make this decision on Monday. Couldn't they have taken the time to privately take the temperature of the room, talk to corporate sponsors, some fans, press and get an idea of their outrage before making a decision seemingly in a vacuum and then having to reverse course the next day? That's embarrassing. I wonder how Rastak feels this morning.

Rastak
09-17-2014, 06:58 AM
This part of the Wilfs statement is particularly laughable (not that the situation causing the decision is at all laughable):

"We are always focused on trying to make the right decision as an organization. We embrace our role – and the responsibilities that go with it – as a leader in the community, as a business partner and as an organization that can build bridges with our fans and positively impact this great region. We appreciate and value the input we have received from our fans, our partners and the community."

Translation...when the bottom line started to be affected, we realized we messed up and reversed our previous snap decision.

I'm not sure what the rush was to make this decision on Monday. Couldn't they have taken the time to privately take the temperature of the room, talk to corporate sponsors, some fans, press and get an idea of their outrage before making a decision seemingly in a vacuum and then having to reverse course the next day? That's embarrassing. I wonder how Rastak feels this morning.

Really tired, unrelated to this stuff. They should have stuck to their original decision although that does make me a hypocrit since I was fine with them booting Chris Cook after he choked his girlfriend until her eyeballs popped out. I think this is really a matter of this dude being completely misguided in his beliefs. Hope he gets some help.

Anyway, I really wish I could share in the outrage. I was pretty upset at the charges but at the end of the day we do have a legal system. As for football which is a minor part of it, doesn't concern me too much.

A dude with that that many kids better get his shit straight when it comes to dealing with them.

Rastak
09-17-2014, 07:00 AM
Last thing - did the NFL just make up that exempt list just for the hell of it? I've watched football since the late 60's and I've never heard of it.

denverYooper
09-17-2014, 08:23 AM
Last thing - did the NFL just make up that exempt list just for the hell of it?

I was thinking the same thing Ras, because it never entered the national conversation until he was on it. My first thought was that it was an emergency measure the league put together to cover the owners, because "due process" wasn't cutting it on this one.

KYPack
09-17-2014, 08:27 AM

Wow, he truly is All Day!!

All night, too.

denverYooper
09-17-2014, 08:36 AM
Last thing - did the NFL just make up that exempt list just for the hell of it? I've watched football since the late 60's and I've never heard of it.

Bob Ley ‏@BobLeyESPN 27m
Adrian Peterson placed on Exempt Cmsnrs Permission list at 1:52am ET. In politics, that's called a document dump.

Cheesehead Craig
09-17-2014, 08:39 AM
The exempt list has been around for a while. Antonio Gates was put on it back in 05 when he wouldn't sign a new contract with the Chargers. I think it's so that way the player doesn't count against the roster size while whatever issue is being worked out. I thought it was mandatory that 3 games were missed by the player while on it.

MadtownPacker
09-17-2014, 10:24 AM
After careful consideration I've revised my stance on this. The child was 4. That is too young to be disciplining them as such. I can see spanking a 10 year old or something. 4 year old is just too young.
Remember that prick Partial who use to post in here? You can bet he never got spanked.

Teamcheez1
09-17-2014, 10:27 AM
The Vikings hold a title the team doesn’t celebrate – the most players arrested in the NFL.
According to USA Today, 45 Minnesota Vikings have been arrested since 2000.
That’s double the league average.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/09/16/vikings-lead-nfl-in-number-of-arrests/

Zool
09-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Remember that prick Partial who use to post in here? You can bet he never got spanked.

I'm confused how you equate this to spanking.

pbmax
09-17-2014, 11:18 AM
Bob Ley ‏@BobLeyESPN 27m
Adrian Peterson placed on Exempt Cmsnrs Permission list at 1:52am ET. In politics, that's called a document dump.

In the NFL its known as the Robert Irsay Mayflower Maneuver.

pbmax
09-17-2014, 11:20 AM
The exempt list has been around for a while. Antonio Gates was put on it back in 05 when he wouldn't sign a new contract with the Chargers. I think it's so that way the player doesn't count against the roster size while whatever issue is being worked out. I thought it was mandatory that 3 games were missed by the player while on it.

I think its the Exempt List for those who don't fit for any other list. Because Peterson and apparently hardy (should the team decide to do it) will be paid while on it. Most other lists you get to be on for being stubborn or detrimental don't involve your usual salary.

I think it is literally, the Commissioner is letting you stash the player here, list.

VegasPackFan
09-17-2014, 11:22 AM
The Vikings hold a title the team doesn’t celebrate – the most players arrested in the NFL.
According to USA Today, 45 Minnesota Vikings have been arrested since 2000.
That’s double the league average.

Probably doesn't even include the Wizzinator Incident.

pbmax
09-17-2014, 11:22 AM

I'm confused how you equate this to spanking.

EDIT: Really discovering Auto Correct is Not Helping

State of the moment research on corporeal punishment, written up by a 17 year veteran of Public School teaching.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2201080-violence-is-violence-adrian-peterson-and-the-science-of-spanking

pbmax
09-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Probably doesn't even include the Wizzinator Incident.

Because the Whizzinator was innovation working at its finest. Just like this guy:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bxr-so1IgAABv52.jpg

pbmax
09-17-2014, 11:30 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000396169/article/what-is-the-exempt-list

Yep. Commissioner says "here is a mulligan" for some reason on roster count.

Zool
09-17-2014, 12:11 PM
Start of the moment research on corporeal punishment, written up by a 17 year veteran of Public School teaching.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2201080-violence-is-violence-adrian-peterson-and-the-science-of-spanking

That's so fucking stupid of Barclay. If you hit an adult with a stick and leave welts, you go to jail for assault. If you hit a kid with a stick and leave welts, it's a teaching tool? How much further backwards could that thinking be?

3irty1
09-17-2014, 12:14 PM
That's so fucking stupid of Barclay. If you hit an adult with a stick and leave welts, you go to jail for assault. If you hit a kid with a stick and leave welts, it's a teaching tool? How much further backwards could that thinking be?

In before "I turned out ok."

Zool
09-17-2014, 12:18 PM
If my team screws up at work, I'm going to either hit them in the mouth or spank them. I'll report back later from home after I'm fired. But while at home if my kid spills milk on the floor, I'm beating her ass with a stick. Seems logical right?

sharpe1027
09-17-2014, 12:58 PM
If my team screws up at work, I'm going to either hit them in the mouth or spank them. I'll report back later from home after I'm fired. But while at home if my kid spills milk on the floor, I'm beating her ass with a stick. Seems logical right?

Every time Peterson fumbles or misses a block, we know how to administer the proper discipline.

pbmax
09-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Charles also glosses over some minor brushes with the law of his own. Not exactly Rice or Peterson, but a plate glass window is a dangerous deterrent.

hoosier
09-17-2014, 01:34 PM

Leave Don Barclay out of this, he doesn't spank his kids and plus he's injured and cannot defend himself.

Spanking is the civic and domestic analogue to concussions in team sports. In both cases scientific evidence is way ahead of and completely at odds with mainstream culture.

Joemailman
09-17-2014, 05:09 PM

May I just point out that the person making those comments was Barkley, as in Charles, not Barclay, as in Don.

HowardRoark
09-17-2014, 06:34 PM
Leave Don Barclay out of this, he doesn't spank his kids and plus he's injured and cannot defend himself.

Spanking is the civic and domestic analogue to concussions in team sports. In both cases scientific evidence is way ahead of and completely at odds with mainstream culture.

Sounds like "settled science" once again.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/25/us/findings-give-some-support-to-advocates-of-spanking.html

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2014, 06:42 PM

Spanking is a different discussion. It really doesn't matter if AP only intended to deliver the sort of spanking that you approve of. What he actually did is child abuse.

I think I have adopted you as my surrogate online dad because you are a raging lunatic just like my real dad. My dad smacked me a lot, and only me, because I emerged from the womb rebellious and irritating. But despite his anger, he never came close to hitting me hard. I imagine you are all bark, no bite too.

I remember one incident: I snatched the last sausage from the breakfast table. My dad rose to his feet and thundered, "Give me that sausage!" That phrase now is enshrined forever in family lore, it is sometimes yelled when somebody, say, snatches a TV remote at Thanksgiving.

How do you say "Give me that chorizo!" in spanish?

pbmax
09-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Sounds like "settled science" once again.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/25/us/findings-give-some-support-to-advocates-of-spanking.html

Indeed. Tanier's article in my link touched on research that said there was evidence that "conditional spanking" had some positive affect.

However, I don't think Peterson falls into this category (from Howard's article):

Dr. Baumrind described findings from her own research, an analysis of data from a long-term study of more than 100 families, indicating that mild to moderate spanking had no detrimental effects when such confounding influences were separated out. When the parents who delivered severe punishment -- for example, frequently spanking with a paddle or striking a child in the face -- were removed from the analysis, Dr. Baumrind and her colleague, Dr. Elizabeth Owens, found that few harmful effects linked with spanking were left. And the few that remained could be explained by other aspects of the parent-child relationship.

Stunning that if you remove the worst cases, the results are not as severe and "could" be explained by other factors they were unable to control for.

KYPack
09-17-2014, 07:36 PM
Spanking is a different discussion. It really doesn't matter if AP only intended to deliver the sort of spanking that you approve of. What he actually did is child abuse.

I think I have adopted you as my surrogate online dad because you are a raging lunatic just like my real dad. My dad smacked me a lot, and only me, because I emerged from the womb rebellious and irritating. But despite his anger, he never came close to hitting me hard. I imagine you are all bark, no bite too.

I remember one incident: I snatched the last sausage from the breakfast table. My dad rose to his feet and thundered, "Give me that sausage!" That phrase now is enshrined forever in family lore, it is sometimes yelled when somebody, say, snatches a TV remote at Thanksgiving.

How do you say "Give me that chorizo!" in spanish?

Shudda given him the sausage, Harlan.

Stealing the last sausage always gets ya an ass whuppin'.

(Dime el tubesteak)

pbmax
09-17-2014, 07:49 PM
Jonathan Dwyer has been arrested in connection to a domestic assault that occurred in July. He has been deactivated.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/17/reports-cardinals-jonathan-dwyer-in-domestic-violence-incident/

Best part?

Because he’s not a star player (unlike other accused players like Ray Rice, Greg Hardy and Adrian Peterson), it wouldn’t be at all surprising for the Cardinals simply to cut him and try to get this case behind them as soon as possible.

Of course, if the Cardinals do cut Dwyer, the next man up on the roster would likely be practice squad running back Chris Rainey — who has had two separate domestic violence incidents, one in college that got him kicked off the team at Florida, and one in the NFL that got him cut by the Steelers. Which serves as a reminder that the NFL has to do a whole lot more to get domestic abusers out of the league.

The Arizona Cardinals: We think the Vikings do too much in the way of background checks.

Joemailman
09-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Jonathan Dwyer has been arrested in connection to a domestic assault that occurred in July. He has been deactivated.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/17/reports-cardinals-jonathan-dwyer-in-domestic-violence-incident/

Best part?

The Arizona Cardinals: We think the Vikings do too much in the way of background checks.

They're just biding their time until they can draft Jameis Winston.

George Cumby
09-17-2014, 10:07 PM

If one is still spanking their kid when the kid is 10, they've lost (The parent not the child, well, maybe the child as well.)

3irty1
09-19-2014, 12:24 AM
Now the Vikings are releasing Jerome Simpson for his forbidden love of mary jane.

Freak Out
09-19-2014, 12:39 AM
We need some Bear and Lion players to get suspended to help balance the stupidity out.

Zool
09-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Now the Vikings are releasing Jerome Simpson for his forbidden love of mary jane.

It could be they released him for his parole violations. He's not a smart man.

Guiness
09-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Anyone else see the story about APs high school coach, he had a paddle he used on his players??? The more I see of this story, the more I think AP really thinks what he was doing was right, and good for the kid.

pbmax
09-19-2014, 12:01 PM
Anyone else see the story about APs high school coach, he had a paddle he used on his players??? The more I see of this story, the more I think AP really thinks what he was doing was right, and good for the kid.

If AP had a paddle, he would still be on the team.

Cheesehead Craig
09-19-2014, 03:03 PM
He could sure use a paddle for that creek he's on.

Harlan Huckleby
09-19-2014, 03:18 PM
He could sure use a paddle for that creek he's on.
up

Fritz
09-20-2014, 07:56 AM
Trent Dilfer said something about this last night after the game.

It was the Wilf's decision and then they made the GM and Head Coach go in front of the media and explain it. Both were unprepared for the follow questions after reading their statements off of cue cards.

And this might be why it's tough for a fan like Ras, I think. You love your team, you've been watching them for decades. You love football. Then your team gets bought by a guy who's too douchy to go out front and explain his decision-making, instead throwing his GM and new HC in front of the cameras so they can explain the inexplicable.

You gotta hope the HC can somehow pull the team/organization through all this, but you realize that behind it all lies this kinda-slimey owner, and it probably causes you to feel slightly sick about it all. Whatever happened to the days when it was about football?

That must be what it's like, I think.

Ras and I haven't always agreed, but I echo his sentiment: what about the football?

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2014, 11:27 AM
If AP had a paddle, he would still be on the team.

True, but a paddling by Daddy Peterson may not be a good thing for a four-year-old.

If you trust in scientific research, corporal punishment does more harm than good.

If you are suspicious of the experts, and you think spanking can do some good, well, the law lets you whack away to a point. The problem is, it takes a lot of self-control that you may lack. People who got beat by their own parents seem to lack that control.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2014, 11:33 AM
Then your team gets bought by a guy who's too douchy to go out front and explain his decision-making, instead throwing his GM and new HC in front of the cameras so they can explain the inexplicable.

The local community really should own football teams. It's not like the owners today are brilliant businessmen whose brilliant marketing decisions guide their teams to success. The NFL is a monopoly, the public subsidizes the stadiums, and it's close to impossible for franchises to do anything but wildly appreciate in value. A NFL team is part of community identity - duh.

That said, at least public opinion seems to be playing a role in policy.

pbmax
09-20-2014, 03:10 PM
The local community really should own football teams. It's not like the owners today are brilliant businessmen whose brilliant marketing decisions guide their teams to success. The NFL is a monopoly, the public subsidizes the stadiums, and it's close to impossible for franchises to do anything but wildly appreciate in value. A NFL team is part of community identity - duh.

There is real business acumen in the NFL. Jones, Snyder and Kraft are making a mint where before they were making a small Pacific island in local revenue.

The real question is, if that market should dry up (as it did temporarily in 2008-2010) could they recover?

There is also the disconnect between good for the franchises valuation and good for football overall.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2014, 04:17 PM
There is real business acumen in the NFL. Jones, Snyder and Kraft are making a mint where before they were making a small Pacific island in local revenue.

The Packers have shown that public ownership works quite well, thank you. Which is why the owners have colluded to prevent that structure from being replicated.

I am unimpressed with the ability of Jerry Jones to make billions. He may be a good marksman, but he is still shooting fish in a barrel.

Fans should own their teams, it's a better structure. The NFL is out of control, they are a "regulated" monopoly only in theory. That said, I don't give too big of a fuck.

Guiness
09-20-2014, 05:33 PM
The Packers have shown that public ownership works quite well, thank you. Which is why the owners have colluded to prevent that structure from being replicated.

I am unimpressed with the ability of Jerry Jones to make billions. He may be a good marksman, but he is still shooting fish in a barrel.

Fans should own their teams, it's a better structure. The NFL is out of control, they are a "regulated" monopoly only in theory. That said, I don't give too big of a fuck.

Fish in a barrel is about the right analogy. If you don't make money with a pro football team in Texas, there's a pretty big problem.

Teamcheez1
09-20-2014, 07:44 PM

The less the government meddles in, the better off we are. Don't go there!

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2014, 11:24 PM
The less the government meddles in, the better off we are. Don't go there!

How would you feel about a rich guy buying the packers? Perhaps the Wilf brothers. Are you unhappy with the status quo, the Packers being publicly owned?

I'm not exactly sure what the Packers' relationship is to government.

Guiness
10-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Bump for new activity.

More digging == more dirt. Tax evasion? Ouch, you guys take that pretty seriously. Some Capone guy spent an awful long time in jail because of it and a couple of brewski's from what I've heard.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/06/report-shines-light-on-adrian-petersons-foundation-past/

Rutnstrut
10-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Who really gives a shit if AP never plays again, it's not like he is poor. I feel so fucking sorry for some of these rich, dumb asses that have the world by the balls, but keep screwing up because everyone always caters to them.

Guiness
10-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Who really gives a shit if AP never plays again, it's not like he is poor. I feel so fucking sorry for some of these rich, dumb asses that have the world by the balls, but keep screwing up because everyone always caters to them.

But think of the children! The opportunities that will be denied to them! /sarcastic rant, left over from a comments made during a divorce proceeding

MadtownPacker
10-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Shit, time to admit I was wrong about this guy.

All Day? More like All Done.

Tony Oday
10-06-2014, 02:19 PM
If he is smart he pays one of his entourage to take an embezzlement charge

MadScientist
10-06-2014, 03:04 PM
If he is smart he pays one of his entourage to take an embezzlement charge
Might not have to do more than open the books fully to have someone in his entourage take the rap. However it has his name on it, and with all the other shit he's in, he'll take some of the heat even if it is not all the heat.

Guiness
10-06-2014, 05:35 PM
Might not have to do more than open the books fully to have someone in his entourage take the rap. However it has his name on it, and with all the other shit he's in, he'll take some of the heat even if it is not all the heat.

His (well, his agent's) response is that is all ancient history, all the indiscretions pre-date 2011 when problems were found and a house cleaning was done. If that's true, and it should be easy to verify, this is a non-story that the media is dig up and didn't verify for the purpose of chucking more mud at him.

pbmax
10-06-2014, 06:16 PM
I have read that athlete foundations are really just ways to put family and friends on a tax-free payroll. Its not too surprising.

Cheesehead Craig
10-07-2014, 06:26 PM
So he's pleading not guilty, so that means he won't get a trial for 9-12 months. Even if he does get acquitted or probation (so no jail time), he's still likely to get the 6 game domestic violence ban from the NFL. So not only is he 2014 season likely over, his 2015 is mostly gone as well, assuming a team signs him as I'm pretty sure MN is going to release him.

Rastak
10-07-2014, 06:41 PM
So he's pleading not guilty, so that means he won't get a trial for 9-12 months. Even if he does get acquitted or probation (so no jail time), he's still likely to get the 6 game domestic violence ban from the NFL. So not only is he 2014 season likely over, his 2015 is mostly gone as well, assuming a team signs him as I'm pretty sure MN is going to release him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/07/peterson-to-push-for-december-1-trial-date/

Rastak
10-07-2014, 06:43 PM
His (well, his agent's) response is that is all ancient history, all the indiscretions pre-date 2011 when problems were found and a house cleaning was done. If that's true, and it should be easy to verify, this is a non-story that the media is dig up and didn't verify for the purpose of chucking more mud at him.

Yea, that shit was old news and the local press is piling on. He might be gone before next year, frankly I'm tired as hell of thinking about it so whatever.

Joemailman
10-07-2014, 06:47 PM
I think Peterson is divorced from reality if he thinks he will play football this year. Even if he is acquitted, he can't make those pictures and police reports go away.

Rastak
10-07-2014, 07:02 PM
I think Peterson is divorced from reality if he thinks he will play football this year. Even if he is acquitted, he can't make those pictures and police reports go away.

Yea, I agree he's probably divorced from reality...no idea what the NFL would do as a punishment on an aquittal.

Cheesehead Craig
10-07-2014, 08:48 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/07/peterson-to-push-for-december-1-trial-date/

Interesting. I totally get why they want a quick trial date just to get this over with. I heard on the radio that it all depends on when the judge has an opening and that may not even be known tomorrow when they go to court to enter the plea.

pbmax
10-07-2014, 08:52 PM
Rusty Hardin got Roger Clemens a not guilty plea on six counts of perjury, when the guy who was injecting him with PEDs testified against him. So i put nothing past him here.

The real fun will be Goodell trying to make a suspension stick given his track record of being all over the map vis a vis domestic violence and taking court results under advisement. He's going to need a new coat of Teflon before he's done.

Rutnstrut
10-07-2014, 10:34 PM
The NFL trying to look PC on the domestic abuse issue, is going to wreck someones career. It will only be a matter of time, before some psycho bitch decides she wants to get revenge on the NFL player that dumped her. The law with domestics already screws over the man, even when the woman is the abuser. Now Goodell's rules just assume guilt before anything is proved. The NFL is sooo worried about covering their ass, that they are willing to throw their players under the bus. I'm not saying that AP is getting hosed and wrongly accused. But it will happen, and it will do irreversible damage to that players reputation/career.

pbmax
10-07-2014, 11:02 PM
The NFL trying to look PC on the domestic abuse issue, is going to wreck someones career. It will only be a matter of time, before some psycho bitch decides she wants to get revenge on the NFL player that dumped her. The law with domestics already screws over the man, even when the woman is the abuser. Now Goodell's rules just assume guilt before anything is proved. The NFL is sooo worried about covering their ass, that they are willing to throw their players under the bus. I'm not saying that AP is getting hosed and wrongly accused. But it will happen, and it will do irreversible damage to that players reputation/career.

So if the NFL is now PC, what precisely should they be doing differently?

Ray Rice is a great example to start with. Both parties were physical. Both may have been drunk. Only one did enough damage to knock someone unconscious. The court let her slide and gave him pre-trial diversion. So the Court gave him a slap on the wrist, as it were, but did accept his plea of guilty.

What suspension would be just in this case?

3irty1
10-08-2014, 08:37 AM
IMO the NFL screwed up when they decided to take a stance on more than football. The NFL is like a Columbian coke lord, distributing its product through a number of giant drug cartels (cable companies). They need to worry about the integrity of their product sure, but casting judgment on the integrity of anything else is going to make it apparent they are out of their wheelhouse and is going to draw attention to the fact that they embody the idea of profits over people.

Cheesehead Craig
10-08-2014, 10:49 AM
the fact that they embody the idea of profits over people.

What? The NFL surely isn't like that. You must have misunderstood them. :lol:

pbmax
10-08-2014, 11:49 AM
IMO the NFL screwed up when they decided to take a stance on more than football. The NFL is like a Columbian coke lord, distributing its product through a number of giant drug cartels (cable companies). They need to worry about the integrity of their product sure, but casting judgment on the integrity of anything else is going to make it apparent they are out of their wheelhouse and is going to draw attention to the fact that they embody the idea of profits over people.

Protect the shield sounded good but was much more complex than they imagined. I have some sympathy for a business trying to discipline its employees for off the clock behavior, (and sympathy for employees subjected to discipline unrelated to work) but the NFL waked straight into this voluntarily. Only their ignorance made them think this was going to be simple. And the NFLPA agreed. Astounding.

Cheesehead Craig
10-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Looks like he got the Dec 1 trial date. The prosecution is going to see if the judge will recuse himself for calling the attys "media whores", oh the horror. Looks like the only way this trial is being delayed is if this happens.