09-14-2014, 06:38 PM
whew.

bit risky bringing the house on that play

ThunderDan
Come on O two first downs.

King Friday
Not sure how we got here...but we are a couple of first downs away from winning this game.

ThunderDan
09-14-2014, 06:39 PM
whew.

bit risky bringing the house on that play

And when we sit back everyone bitches.

gbgary
09-14-2014, 06:40 PM
ok...first downs people.

red
And when we sit back everyone bitches.

its all about timing

pbmax
Please play action pass.

KalamazooPackerFan
They just keep running Lacy wide. Its just stupid.

Freak Out
09-14-2014, 06:41 PM
Luck helps.

gbgary
09-14-2014, 06:41 PM
why can't we just run straight ahead?

ThunderDan
09-14-2014, 06:42 PM
why can't we just straight ahead?

Running away from Sherrod?

pbmax

In this case, in their defense, there are 3 guys over the center/guards.

Harlan Huckleby
no way do i pass here

pbmax
09-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Better question is how does Rodgers snap the ball with 6 seconds left on play clock?

Freak Out
So...just got the game after the end of the DEN/KC game....did Smith always have that much time throw?

Rutnstrut
Is Starks hurt, I haven't seen him on the field today.

pbmax
09-14-2014, 06:44 PM
And there is your dagger.

red
nelson over 200 yards on the day

pbmax
Is Starks hurt, I haven't seen him on the field today.

He was in in the second quarter.

King Friday
09-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Phew.

Freak Out
Game.

ThunderDan
After the first quarter it is hard to belief that we won this game.

red
So...just got the game after the end of the DEN/KC game....did Smith always have that much time throw?

yes and no

there was some good pressure today, but at other times, he had time

Harlan Huckleby
NFC north looks like Big Ten of pro football

denverYooper
09-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Too bad that won't count as a 4QC .

gbgary
Great 2nd half!!

red
whew

Rutnstrut
He was in in the second quarter.

Did he have any carries?

red
09-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Did he have any carries?

no

no carries, no catches

Bossman641
09-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Hopefully this was the kick in the pants this team needed cause they have a tough schedule coming up.

Cheesehead Craig
09-14-2014, 06:53 PM

I'd prefer they do that with Starks, he has more burst to get upfield on those.

Joemailman
09-14-2014, 06:54 PM
Really ugly start, but that was a nice comeback against the type of team that can give the Packers trouble. Good things happen when you stop getting gashed by the opponent's running game.

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Will it be the kind of game that turns a season around--like an ugly victory at St. Louis in 1996 (Doug Evans interception return) or the thrashing of the Giants in 2010? Probably not, but that was a heck of a comeback.

pittstang5
09-14-2014, 07:02 PM
I'll take it. Still scratching my head over that phantom time out or what ever.

Rutnstrut
09-14-2014, 07:03 PM
It was a great comeback, but against a team that is even a little better I'm not so sure they would have done it.

mr_blonde
09-14-2014, 07:10 PM
Did he have any carries?

I think Starks is going to be traded to Baltimore for Arthur Brown ....

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/09/08/packers-reportedly-work-out-former-redskins-running-back-lache-seastrunk/

Lacey, Harris, Seastrunk going forward.
JMO.

Joemailman
09-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Congrats to pbmax on a winning Game Day Thread.

Also Kudos to Red. Packers were down 21-3 when Red started that 2015 Draft Thread. I think that was the turning point. :wave:

Bossman641
09-14-2014, 07:25 PM
What's going on with Hayward? House and even Bush were getting snaps ahead of him. Hopefully not a hamstring issue.

Joemailman
09-14-2014, 07:48 PM
I have said for years that he holds the ball to long, but people on here don't want to hear that AR might have a flaw or two.

You can let the BF butt hurt go now. It has been 6 plus years.

I don't know why people get upset when someone points out that Rodgers sometimes holds onto the ball too long. It's a statistical fact that he holds onto the ball longer than most. Everybody has a weakness. That's his.

digitaldean
09-14-2014, 07:55 PM
I don't know why people get upset when someone points out that Rodgers sometimes holds onto the ball too long. It's a statistical fact that he holds onto the ball longer than most. Everybody has a weakness. That's his.

I agree with Joe. The one sack that made it 2nd and 22 was purely on ARod. I get trying to make something happen, but periodically he held it a couple seconds too long. Acknowledge there's nothing there and throw it away if you can't run with it.

BTW, speaking of brain cramps, Stumpy's challenge that essentially traded TO's with NY was just silly.

Bonehead move of the day was Morningweg's timeout call that nullified the TD. Totally changed the semblance of any momentum shift that the Jets could muster.

Rutnstrut
09-14-2014, 08:08 PM

I don't get it either, I think Rodgers is freakin awesome. I just pointed out the obvious, it's one of his very few flaws as a QB.

ThunderDan
09-14-2014, 08:17 PM

Because we all agree that ARod holds the ball too long. It's just another everyone is against me, no one here can see any flaws in ARod's game schtick post.

I am sick of them so I decided to call him out on what is really going through his head.

pbmax
09-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Too bad that won't count as a 4QC .

Exactly.

pbmax
09-14-2014, 08:29 PM

It's both weakness and strength. He often gets huge plays off it. Today it bit him in the ass on that drive that went backward. Other times, its just counterproductive (4th down).

Infamous
09-14-2014, 09:06 PM
It's both weakness and strength. He often gets huge plays off it. Today it bit him in the ass on that drive that went backward. Other times, its just counterproductive (4th down).

well said

Carolina_Packer
09-14-2014, 09:07 PM
its amazing how "off" a rod has felt today. yet he has 331 yards, 3 td's and 0 ints

Yeah, imagine if he was really on, the team might win. :-)

smuggler
09-14-2014, 11:18 PM
Anyone know how bad Hyde' knee looked?

pbmax
09-14-2014, 11:27 PM
I've got nothing on Hyde news.

Just the really curious situation with Hyde, Bush went in ahead of him for dime.

JSO Packer Chat

Q: Bill - Hyde update?
A: Tyler Dunne - Bill: Nothing on Micah Hyde. Nothing on Andy Mulumba. Both left the game with knee injuries and McCarthy doesn't say much at all about injuries after the game anymore.

channtheman
09-15-2014, 12:28 AM
Kicking the field goals early in the game were the right calls. I was very pleased to see that MM agreed with me on this. In the NFL it is difficult to score points. When you are losing, you won't win by not scoring. Not taking 3 points when you could have and than also not scoring a TD can also be very demoralizing to a team. I also tend to feel that you should almost always kick the PAT until you absolutely need to go for 2. I disagreed with going for 2 when we did, even though I know it put us up 3 points. I have seen teams get screwed enough times by going for 2 too early in the game and that single point would come back to bite them in the butt. For a couple of good examples of how going for 2 too early in the game can potentially screw you, see the Arizona Cardinals first 2 games this year. They've gone for 2 on 3 occasions fairly early in the game and none of them were successful and could have cost them. In each situation, had the Cardinals opted for the nearly guaranteed PAT, it would have allowed them an easier way to tie or be up by a field goal vs. only 2 points, etc. (Granted, I can't remember the exact scenarios).

smuggler
09-15-2014, 05:53 AM
I agreed with kicking the FG at the ~6 min mark in the first half to total 9 pts because it would have been too big a risk to give the Jets a boost going into the locker room. Didnt agree with the OS kick tho...

pittstang5
09-15-2014, 07:38 AM
I agreed with kicking the FG at the ~6 min mark in the first half to total 9 pts because it would have been too big a risk to give the Jets a boost going into the locker room. Didnt agree with the OS kick tho...

The OS kick is one of those things MM does that drives me up a wall. It's like he thinks he can outsmart other coaches.

MM: "Ah Ha, they'll never suspect a an OS kick when were down three scores so let's go for it."

Save that crap for when we're up a couple scores and the defense has been playing lights out. If that will ever happen.

oldbutnotdeadyet
09-15-2014, 07:46 AM
I missed the whole 2nd half (went hunting), so sorta hard to comment. I am very happy with the come from behind win, but we have a long way to go before we can be considered contenders. My hope is we can continue to improve over these next few games, keep injuries to a minimum, and somewhere along the line fire capers and slocum.

denverYooper
09-15-2014, 08:18 AM
The OS kick is one of those things MM does that drives me up a wall. It's like he thinks he can outsmart other coaches.

MM: "Ah Ha, they'll never suspect a an OS kick when were down three scores so let's go for it."

Save that crap for when we're up a couple scores and the defense has been playing lights out. If that will ever happen.

The onside kick this week and going for it on 4th down in the 3rd quarter last week are risks I am fine with, and are probably as much for psychological reasons as for strategic ones. That is M3 taking a risk at a calculated time to extend a drive or steal a possession, and it lets them know that he's not afraid to stick his neck out to win them the game. It goes to the kind of mentality a team needs to be successful -- playing with a sort of controlled chaos. Neither of those hurt the Packers. The D made a stand after the 4th down failure and the D again came up with the big INT this week.

pbmax
09-15-2014, 08:28 AM
The onside kid as a surprise has a good chance of success. But if TV was correct, the Jets had their hands team out there.

Joemailman
09-15-2014, 08:30 AM

You don't need to do an onside kick if you're up a couple scores and the defense is playing lights out. You do an onside kick for one of two reasons. Either, you desperately need the ball back, or you're trying to change the momentum of the game. In this case the latter applies. I had no problem with it, especially since Crosby is pretty good at it.

3irty1
09-15-2014, 08:41 AM
I like how MM sprinkles in onside kicks although this one was a bit predictable. I don't have the stats to prove it but Mason Crosby has to be among the best onside kickers to ever play. Also if you're going to allow a time-sucking march up the field, might as well have it start at mid-field, give your defense the compressed field sooner, and no matter what get Rodgers back out there sooner.

Bossman641
09-15-2014, 09:15 AM
I didn't like the onside kick and I especially didn't like it's execution. Top one that goes 11 yards if you're going for an onside. Trying to plop it between the first and second wave of defenders? No thanks

denverYooper
09-15-2014, 10:07 AM
I didn't like the onside kick and I especially didn't like it's execution. Top one that goes 11 yards if you're going for an onside. Trying to plop it between the first and second wave of defenders? No thanks

Yeah, well... I think the placement, not the timing, was supposed to be the surprise part of that onside kick. They probably had Mason and their front line targeted to a spot where they thought the Jets might not expect it to hit.

That one might have looked better on paper.

pbmax
09-16-2014, 05:29 PM
McCarthy said in his PC Monday that they did not expect the Jets to react they way they did to the formation. He said they had never used it before and so was surprised by the reaction, which he must have viewed as successful.

Called is "disturbing" I believe.

3irty1
09-16-2014, 05:41 PM
McCarthy said in his PC Monday that they did not expect the Jets to react they way they did to the formation. He said they had never used it before and so was surprised by the reaction, which he must have viewed as successful.

Called is "disturbing" I believe.

What are you talking about?

Joemailman
09-16-2014, 05:51 PM

He's talking about the onside kick. Jets appeared to have their "hands" team out there. MM was saying it appeared the Jets had a way of knowing what was coming.

Maxie the Taxi
09-16-2014, 06:25 PM
The onside kick this week and going for it on 4th down in the 3rd quarter last week are risks I am fine with, and are probably as much for psychological reasons as for strategic ones. That is M3 taking a risk at a calculated time to extend a drive or steal a possession, and it lets them know that he's not afraid to stick his neck out to win them the game. It goes to the kind of mentality a team needs to be successful -- playing with a sort of controlled chaos. Neither of those hurt the Packers. The D made a stand after the 4th down failure and the D again came up with the big INT this week.

I think I could make a pretty good argument that going for it on 4th down in the Seattle game was a big reason the Packers lost. Sure the defense made a stand at mid-field, but then Seattle punted pinning the Packers down on their own 10. On the very next play Rodgers fumbled and Seattle scored a safety and that's all she wrote. Bad things happen to you when you're pinned down deep in your own territory.

As far as the onside kick goes, it was a HUGE gamble that wasn't warranted. GB was only 12 points down at the time but the failed onside gave the Jets the ball at midfield just before halftime. If not for the interception AND a 97 yard drive, the Jets might have gone into halftime with a 20 point lead! Not good.

If the Packers could followup every failed onside kick with an interception AND a 97 yard drive, I might agree with you. Try it.

But what are the odds?

As I see it, those kinds of gambles work to a team's mental disadvantage. It kind of sends a message to your guys that they can't win without gimmicks because the other team is just plain that much better.

pbmax
09-16-2014, 06:44 PM

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2014/09/15/mccarthy-jets-onside-kick/15694271/

After the Packers' third field goal cut the Jets' lead to 21-9 in the second quarter Sunday, McCarthy elected a surprise onside kick. It was a formation the Packers hadn't shown on film. McCarthy expected the element of surprise.

Instead, McCarthy said he was surprised – and a bit curious – to see the Jets were not caught off guard.

"I felt like they were in our huddle, frankly," McCarthy said. "Just the way they lined up to it is disturbing to me. It's something we've never shown. It's a formation we've never been in."

smuggler
09-16-2014, 10:55 PM
McCarthy is not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. Uses an exotic formation on a kickoff and it's something the Jets have not had a chance to see before... and is surprised that they suspected an on-side try. Dork. :P

3irty1
09-17-2014, 09:24 AM
McCarthy has always been a big self scouter. At this point in the season its hard to tell what's a good idea and what's setting up the future. He's not subtle at all. That John Kuhn hand off out of the goal line was beyond stubborn for a whole season but then when it mattered he had the easiest walk in touchdown ever by faking that play. He absolutely spammed the back shoulder throws for so long that defenders had been cheating on it for a month before the first double move came for an easy long completion. In 2007 is was the same with the slants. As fans we always have a sense of urgency but at this point in MM's career I think his mind is already in January. He's making the film he wants his playoff opponents to watch. Hopefully whatever this trick kickoff formation was has some future value.