View Full Version : Winners & Losers - Packers vs Jets

call_me_ishmael
09-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Let's hear 'em. I missed the game.

Joemailman
09-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Let's hear 'em. I missed the game.

Winners:

Rodgers - Outstanding after a poor start with 330+ yards and 3 TD's.
Jordy - Over 200 yards and a TD. Great all day long.
Cobb - 2 TD's
Adams -Some clutch catches in key situations.
Daniels - A sack, and a QB hit that contributed to Tramon's INT.
Tramon - His INT was a turning point in the game.
Crosby - His 55 yard FG was huge at a time the game was going badly for the Packers.

Losers:

You for missing the game.:razz:
Guion - Was pancaked on a goal line play.
Boykin - Two drops and was replaced by Adams.

3irty1
09-15-2014, 10:05 AM
Super Winners:

Jordy Nelson. We are so fucked if this guy gets hurt. Nelson has been a one man offense for us so far this year. It felt soooooo good to see him break that 80 yard TD. He's still got the wheels. Also he seems to be playing bigger than he ever has, really using that 6'3" frame to go up for it.

Mike Daniels is incredible and just keeps getting better. The Jets are going to win the battle in both trenches against most of the teams on their schedule this year but Daniels made a mockery of their interior lineman. His hit turned Geno into a different player for the rest of the game, like a boxer getting punched straight in the mouth.

Tramon Williams. I'm starting to believe he really did have a shoulder thing for two and a half years.

Regular Winners:

Davon House. A legit step forward from House seems so fragile you almost don't want to acknowledge it in writing for that might be enough to make it slip away. But he was playing actual pass defense out there.

Morgan Burnett in the second half Burnett was up in the box more and made a big impact. This guys is better the closer he plays to the line. Maybe because he doesn't have time to think and his instincts take over. Either way I think its going to be nice not having him confined to a center field role this season. Our leading tackler two weeks in a row.

Rodgers. Not his finest game and Jordy arguably made him look better than he was but the stats don't lie. Rodgers is a victim of his expectations. A lot of fans ran out of beer to spit when he held the ball for 10 seconds on 3rd down, then again the next play. Clearly Rodgers doesn't see this as an issue which makes me think. If he throws away the ball away last second he probably still gets hit, but squarely and in the ribs. The yardage lost doesn't mean a ton in the context of a 3rd or 4th down conversion. I think the biggest issue is all the roughing the passer penalties he's not getting by allowing sacks. Beats me but its clear holding the ball isn't a bad habit for Rodgers but a conscious choice. 10 seconds is insane.

Emerging Winners:

Adams looks useful. He's at least meeting his low rookie expectations.

Nick Perry is starting to look like a good football player.

Winning Losers:

Capers. Baffling play calling against an offense everyone knew wanted to pound the ball. So far this season misdirection has worked laughably well on all levels against our defense. As bad as the defense looked in the first half, we saw some excellent adjustments in the 2nd half. Those zone blitzes he dialed up should remind fans why he's an NFL coordinator. Peppers in coverage is kind of awesome, he looks like a basketball defender.

Matthews. Doesn't seem to be playing team ball out there. Was out of position a few times and looked to abandon his assignment. It's Clay Matthews though and he made some impressive plays that nobody else could make. For his contract I want him in the studs list every week.

I know Cobb caught a couple of TD's which is awesome but he's not doing much to help us move the chains. His MO is to be able to catch the ball and make guys miss and he's not been doing the latter. We need more YAC from him.

Losers:

Boykin is only an NFL player because of his history of doing all the small things perfectly because he sure as hell isn't going to get separation with his athleticism. Drops are not something that can be tolerated from him.

Shields. The TD he gave up was a damn fine throw but he still didn't have a good game. Decker is a tough assignment to draw, he's basically a clone of Jordy Nelson from 2 years ago.

Sherrod. He's good enough to win with but even his successes don't look pretty. Seems like he needs more preparation in the film room. Eventually he figured Coples out but a lot of bad shit can happen if he needs a learning curve each game.

Lattimore. He's not an improvement over Jones. Enough said. Again this week the opposing team had a standout linebacker. This time it was #56. The contrast burns. We need to get something going at this position.

Guion is human garbage. I'm ready to see Pennel.

Hayward. This guy was supposed to be a big part of our defense this season but instead he's losing his gig to Bush and the double switch of Tramon/House. Hayward needs to get his shit together and build on that rookie year.

Pugger
09-15-2014, 10:13 AM
Did Pennel play? I never saw the inactive list.

Tony Oday
09-15-2014, 10:16 AM
I thought Lattimore looked decent. He may have Hawked some tackles but he at least wasnt in a ton of highlight shots like Jones was.

Loser MM. TERRIBLE play calling for long stretches of the game

Loser LACY, plodding, slow, dances like a moron and gets two yards. You are a one cut back that should hurt people

Loser MM not playing Starks.

pbmax
09-15-2014, 10:17 AM
Guess from GB Press Gazette was that Hayward got the boot for 3 missed tackles versus Seattle.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2014/09/14/house-replaces-hayward-subpackages/15652073/

denverYooper
09-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Not a winner yet, but middle and trending... Datone Jones has been involved in a few nice pocket-collapsings lately. If he finishes some of those plays he can jump up into the winners column.

Joemailman
09-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Did Pennel play? I never saw the inactive list.

He was active, but I don't recall hearing his name.

Teamcheez1
09-15-2014, 10:29 AM
I'm not going to put Sherrod in the loser category. He wasn't great, but he didn't collapse against a good defensive line

Losers - All of our TE's. They were invisible in the passing game

3irty1
09-15-2014, 10:43 AM
I thought Lattimore looked decent. He may have Hawked some tackles but he at least wasnt in a ton of highlight shots like Jones was.

PFF agrees with you. They gave him a +2.4 for the game. I'm going to go back and watch the game and see if I change my mind on Lattimore. PFF has always loved Brad Jones though, sooooo we'll see.

Tony Oday
09-15-2014, 10:45 AM
PFF agrees with you. They gave him a +2.4 for the game. I'm going to go back and watch the game and see if I change my mind on Lattimore. PFF has always loved Brad Jones though, sooooo we'll see.

Im not even saying he is good I am just saying he isnt a parking cone out there :)

Bossman641
09-15-2014, 11:02 AM
Pennel didn't get any snaps.

Our TE's suck. Imagine if we actually had a useful TE to threaten the middle of the field.

deake
09-15-2014, 11:17 AM
I'm not going to put Sherrod in the loser category. He wasn't great, but he didn't collapse against a good defensive line

Losers - All of our TE's. They were invisible in the passing game

The TE problem is partly Rodgers problem, he always looks for Nelson and then forces some throws to him, rather than looking elsewhere.

pbmax
09-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Not a winner yet, but middle and trending... Datone Jones has been involved in a few nice pocket-collapsings lately. If he finishes some of those plays he can jump up into the winners column.

Its a nice addition to the pass rush. A collapsing pocket plus a guy long and athletic enough to not just let the QB escape whenever he wants.

PA Pack Fan
09-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Only one poster has Lacy on the duds list? Starks is wayyy better.

Studs: Jordy - Adams - Crosby - Daniels

Duds: Rodgers - Lacy - Shields

Bossman641
09-15-2014, 11:52 AM
Only one poster has Lacy on the duds list? Starks is wayyy better.

Studs: Jordy - Adams - Crosby - Daniels

Duds: Rodgers - Lacy - Shields

Aaron Rodgers dud? It wasn't his best game but not a dud.

Tony Oday
09-15-2014, 11:56 AM
AR dud in the first half
Ar Superstar the second half.

Joemailman
09-15-2014, 12:00 PM
AR dud in the first half

Maybe AR dud in 1st quarter. But he led them to 13 points in the 2nd quarter. He was fantastic in the 97 yard drive to close out the half.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Sherrod. He's good enough to win with but even his successes don't look pretty. Seems like he needs more preparation in the film room. Eventually he figured Coples out but a lot of bad shit can happen if he needs a learning curve each game.

If your kid routinely gets failing grades, then surprises you with a report card with C's, you don't call him a loser. You brute.

Even your assessment is that it is matter of learning. I'm not sure what the deal is with Sherrod, but I hope his career is salvageable. If he has the mobility, he can be an NFL starter.

I watched San Fran play a backup tackle last night, the famous Jonathan Martin. Hard to watch. Probably backup tackles in the NFL are a sorry lot, it's a tough job for a big man.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2014, 02:09 PM
AR dud in the first half

I don't know, he was up and down the whole game. He ended with a QB rating of.... I think I heard 106 on radio.

I thought Rodgers was mostly very cagey.

3irty1
09-15-2014, 02:18 PM
If your kid routinely gets failing grades, then surprises you with a report card with C's, you don't call him a loser. You brute.

Even your assessment is that it is matter of learning. I'm not sure what the deal is with Sherrod, but I hope his career is salvageable. If he has the mobility, he can be an NFL starter.

I watched San Fran play a backup tackle last night, the famous Jonathan Martin. Hard to watch. Probably backup tackles in the NFL are a sorry lot, it's a tough job for a big man.

Well we're not alone. We're on our 3rd right tackle, so are the Chiefs. The Falcons are on their 3rd left tackle. With Bulaga's health the only thing keeping Sherrod from getting reps I expect to get an extensive evaluation of Sherrod this season. We'll see if he can make a starter of himself but right now he's a loser backup.

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2014, 02:38 PM
Larrivee singled out Lattimore as someone who played well. I can't say that I watched closely enough to offer an opinion.

Guiness
09-15-2014, 02:38 PM
I don't know, he was up and down the whole game. He ended with a QB rating of.... I think I heard 106 on radio.

I thought Rodgers was mostly very cagey.

There were a few times in the 2nd half where he had us pulling our hair out. That series at the end of the 3rd/start of the 4th where he was sacked 2 out of 3 plays (the other was a run) comes to mind. On at least one of those plays he held the ball for a LONG time.

Joemailman
09-15-2014, 02:50 PM

Loser MM. TERRIBLE play calling for long stretches of the game

Loser LACY, plodding, slow, dances like a moron and gets two yards. You are a one cut back that should hurt people

Loser MM not playing Starks.

I assume you mean the stretches where they weren't scoring touchdowns?

Cheesehead Craig
09-15-2014, 03:07 PM
Well we're not alone. We're on our 3rd right tackle, so are the Chiefs. The Falcons are on their 3rd left tackle. With Bulaga's health the only thing keeping Sherrod from getting reps I expect to get an extensive evaluation of Sherrod this season. We'll see if he can make a starter of himself but right now he's a loser backup.

I think Sherrod will continue to get better and better as the season goes on. He still needs work on run blocking and definately still needs to get some help with the pass rush, but he's better than Newhouse.

smuggler
09-15-2014, 04:17 PM
How was HaHa? Couldn't have been worse than Jets #25 late in coverage and then falling over himself in an attempt to lay a finger on Jordy to save a touchdown.... :)

pbmax
09-15-2014, 04:37 PM
How was HaHa? Couldn't have been worse than Jets #25 late in coverage and then falling over himself in an attempt to lay a finger on Jordy to save a touchdown.... :)

Tackling was better. He was trailing too much on one deep throw. If the throw was better, it was six.

Joemailman
09-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Tackling was better. He was trailing too much on one deep throw. If the throw was better, it was six.

I think he got caught peaking into the backfield. Smith rolled out and at one point looked like he might take off running. Ha Ha doesn't have great recovery speed. His decisions have to be right.

3irty1
09-15-2014, 04:48 PM
He's definitely an aggressive player with good instincts. Had one particularly nice fill in run defense I can remember. Nobody is going to be surprised when he's one of the best players on the team in a year or two.

Joemailman
09-15-2014, 05:03 PM
He's definitely an aggressive player with good instincts. Had one particularly nice fill in run defense I can remember. Nobody is going to be surprised when he's one of the best players on the team in a year or two.

His education may get accelerated depending on Hyde's injury. He'll be seeing some monster receivers the next few weeks.

Joemailman
09-15-2014, 05:53 PM
Guess from GB Press Gazette was that Hayward got the boot for 3 missed tackles versus Seattle.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2014/09/14/house-replaces-hayward-subpackages/15652073/

They're now saying Hayward didn't play because his hamstring tightened up.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/275199021.html

While the Packers planned on using House regardless, defensive coordinator Dom Capers indicated that Hayward's hamstring -- the one that gave him so much trouble last year -- tightened up.

"I don’t know what the medical status of Casey was at that point in time," Capers said. "We’ll have to find out there. Really, Bush was healthy and ready to go, and I don’t know that Casey might have tightened up just a little bit. With his hamstring issues in the past, you’re always cautious of that."

Tyrion Lannister
09-15-2014, 06:23 PM
Just reviewed the Jets-Packers game on NFL Shortcuts.

Losers:

Clinton-Dix: I see a little Sean Taylor in him, but the more I see him play, the more I dislike him. Slow. Very slow. Sloth slow. Has the making of a classic "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane." Brady, Brees, Stafford, Ryan and even Cutler are not gonna overthrow a wide open receiver like Geno Smith did.

Hawk: Look around the league. The good/great defenses all have good/great ILBs. The only times Hawk got noticed was when his helmet fell off.

Hyde: Tackled poorly. Terrible in zone coverage.

McCarthy: I miss the old, liberal McCarthy. When DeShawn Wynn was running into brick walls, McCarthy got rid of the run and went with short passes and the "big" 5. Nowadays, McCarthy is too stubborn to change. It was obvious Lacy wasn't gonna see daylight even if he was running on the sun. Should've feed Stark or Harris the rock.

Contrary to popular belief, Peppers didn't play a poor game and he wasn't invisible. Guy had plenty of "near" sacks and "near" pressures that forced Smith to throw the ball quicker than he would've liked, resulting in incompletions. Just wait til the Packers start playing stationary QBs. Peppers is going to make Thompson look grand.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2014, 06:27 PM

Losers:

Clinton-Dix: I see a little Sean Taylor in him, but the more I see him play, the more I dislike him. Slow. Very slow. Sloth slow. Has the making of a classic "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane." Brady, Brees, Stafford, Ryan and even Cutler are not gonna overthrow a wide open receiver like Geno Smith did.

Hawk: Look around the league. The good/great defenses all have good/great ILBs. The only times Hawk got noticed was when his helmet fell off.

McCarthy: I miss the old, liberal McCarthy. When DeShawn Wynn was running into brick walls, McCarthy got rid of the run and went with short passes and the "big" 5. Nowadays, McCarthy is too stubborn to change. It was obvious Lacy wasn't gonna see daylight even if he was running on the sun. Should've feed Stark or Harris the rock.

Contrary to popular belief, Peppers didn't play a poor game and he wasn't invisible. Guy had plenty of "near" sacks and "near" pressures that forced Smith to throw the ball quicker than he would've liked, resulting in incompletions. Just wait til the Packers start playing stationary QBs. Peppers is going to make Thompson look grand.

Good post. I have no idea of any of that shit is right, but you sound pretty sure about it.

pbmax
09-15-2014, 06:33 PM
McCarthy: I miss the old, liberal McCarthy. When DeShawn Wynn was running into brick walls, McCarthy got rid of the run and went with short passes and the "big" 5. Nowadays, McCarthy is too stubborn to change.

The adjustment you mention, passing (but without five wide) is exactly the adjustment he made yesterday. They stopped running and passed on a D that did not want to let Lacy go. They played single high safety and Rodgers and Nelson torched it from the 2nd Quarter on.

Tyrion Lannister
09-15-2014, 06:53 PM
The adjustment you mention, passing (but without five wide) is exactly the adjustment he made yesterday. They stopped running and passed on a D that did not want to let Lacy go. They played single high safety and Rodgers and Nelson torched it from the 2nd Quarter on.

My main point was, McCarthy should've used a different back. Harris should've been playing the majority of the time when the Packers were down 21-3, as Harris is the Packers' best receiving runningback. Put Starks there with the lead.

Lacy was having a bad day at work.

hoosier
09-15-2014, 07:25 PM
If Quarless can be believed the run was a big part of the game plan but got ditched because the Jets wouldn't come out of their 3-4 base against three wides. Doesn't matter who your running back is, that is when you put the ball in Rodgers's hands and let him torch the defense.

channtheman
09-15-2014, 08:24 PM
I think the main point about MM and the run game is that Lacy looked big fat and slow on Sunday and was doing too much dancing. Starks and Harris both seem to realize that by just running straight you get more yards (and they do.)

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2014, 09:07 PM
LOL at people that think Lacy should come off the field more. Come on now. Lacy will get whatever load he can handle. Starks/Harris will split the rest--depending on how the game is going. Because running against the Jets is difficult, the better pass receiver (Harris) played more. Other weeks, they will run more (and more effectively), and Starks will get more playing time.

Joemailman
09-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Rex was obviously very concerned with what Lacy could do to their defense. Keeping Lacy in the game forced the Jets to stay in base even when the Packers used 3 wides. As a result, they couldn't double Jordy and paid the price.

call_me_ishmael
09-15-2014, 10:28 PM

I agree. You can see it already. He is going to be a good one.

mission
09-16-2014, 08:57 AM

PFF gave Jones the worst week 1 ILB grade... the +2.4 is like an 8.6 point swing from Jones' performance. Hopefully the thigh keeps him out a bit longer.

Pugger
09-16-2014, 09:44 AM

Losers:

I'm gonna give a rookie S a pass. He's learning on the job. He may be peeking back towards the QB and then getting burned. I can't think of many rookie safeties that play like savvy veterans in their first few games.

Pugger
09-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Rex was obviously very concerned with what Lacy could do to their defense. Keeping Lacy in the game forced the Jets to stay in base even when the Packers used 3 wides. As a result, they couldn't double Jordy and paid the price.

I thought I saw several times where Lacy stayed back there to help block too and did a pretty nice job.

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2014, 10:45 AM
GBPG actually praised Lacy's blocking help--mostly on Sherrod's side.

pittstang5
09-16-2014, 10:53 AM
I think the main point about MM and the run game is that Lacy looked big fat and slow on Sunday and was doing too much dancing. Starks and Harris both seem to realize that by just running straight you get more yards (and they do.)

I did see Lacy dance around a couple times. If he'd just cut and go, he'd get a couple yards as opposed to none or going backwards. Positive yardage, even if it's 1 or 2 yards, is better than none.

Starks used to dance...Alot. I haven't seen him do it since the beginning of last year. In Preseason this year, I can't remember him doing it at all. Maybe he fixed that, but old habits die hard.

Fritz
09-18-2014, 12:40 PM
I agree that ol' Eddie doesn't look like the brute he looked like last year. Now he looks like that long line of pedestrian backs who keep searching outside for some room, but never find it.

Pugger
09-18-2014, 12:41 PM
I agree that ol' Eddie doesn't look like the brute he looked like last year. Now he looks like that long line of pedestrian backs who keep searching outside for some room, but never find it.

So what is the consensus here? Lacy is just a flash in the pan?

MadScientist
09-18-2014, 01:28 PM

That it is the start of the season and the OL is shitty like it always is.

Carolina_Packer
09-18-2014, 03:47 PM
We have played two very good defenses, and they were gearing up to stop Lacy, which did help AR. Even the threat of the run and adjustment by the defense can be a win for the Packers offense. Keeping them honest instead of previous years when the defense would just pin their ears back.

Joemailman
09-18-2014, 04:21 PM

No. Jets decided to take Lacy away by playing base all game. Well, they shut down Lacy but got torched by Jordy. Pick your poison.

Lacy will be fine once the packers stop playing the NFL's top rushing defenses. And getting Bulaga back wouldn't hurt either.

hoosier
09-18-2014, 04:27 PM
No. Jets decided to take Lacy away by playing base all game. Well, they shut down Lacy but got torched by Jordy. Pick your poison.

Lacy will be fine once the packers stop playing the NFL's top rushing defenses. And getting Bulaga back wouldn't hurt either.

I've seen two halves of the first two games, the second half against Sea and the first half against NY. Those were by far the worst halves (maybe I should take this as a sign and not turn them on at all against Det). In both cases what I saw was an offense whose components didn't seem to be working well together. Sherrod was a turnstile which caused everything to come to a screeching halt at times against Seattle. Rodgers was holding onto the ball too long and wasn't in sync with his receivers. Boykin was dropping balls he should catch. Lacy was bouncing runs outside and going nowhere. Overall they just looked like shit. My hope is that this is just another version of the early season jitters that McCarthy's offenses always seem to go through.

Joemailman
09-18-2014, 04:31 PM
I've seen two halves of the first two games, the second half against Sea and the first half against NY. Those were by far the worst halves (maybe I should take this as a sign and not turn them on at all against Det). In both cases what I saw was an offense whose components didn't seem to be working well together. Sherrod was a turnstile which caused everything to come to a screeching halt at times against Seattle. Rodgers was holding onto the ball too long and wasn't in sync with his receivers. Boykin was dropping balls he should catch. Lacy was bouncing runs outside and going nowhere. Overall they just looked like shit. My hope is that this is just another version of the early season jitters that McCarthy's offenses always seem to go through.

May I point out that despite all those struggles, they managed to put up 31 points against a pretty good Jets defense?

smuggler
09-18-2014, 05:08 PM
maybe I should take this as a sign and not turn them on at all against Det

Try it out and see. Take one for the team!

hoosier
09-18-2014, 07:15 PM
May I point out that despite all those struggles, they managed to put up 31 points against a pretty good Jets defense?

Tale of two halves. My point is that the offense isn't really in sync yet. Maybe they finally got on track in second half of Jets game. Or maybe part of not being in sync is not being able to put two good halves together. The Lions game will tell us a lot more about where they stand.

hoosier
09-18-2014, 07:17 PM

That is seeming more and more likely. Kids want to go apple picking, and Sunday afternoon is the only free time, so it's looking like NFL rewind for me.

3irty1
09-18-2014, 07:27 PM
That is seeming more and more likely. Kids want to go apple picking, and Sunday afternoon is the only free time, so it's looking like NFL rewind for me.

Ah apple picking. $2/hr for Madtown, -$25/hr for you and your family.

pbmax
09-18-2014, 11:42 PM

Weren't we sending someone to their garage last year in search of a good luck charm? Who was that?

He got mad at the game on TV, went to his garage to work and listened to the radio. Packers came back. Couple games later they got off to a brutal start and his wife tells him he should be in the garage. :)

Fritz
09-20-2014, 08:00 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but watching the games on television is an exhausting, draining experience for me. Last year my neighbor said he was actually scared when he heard me screaming; he thought maybe I was beating the girlfriend or the grandson.

Yet I cannot stay away.

hoosier
09-21-2014, 07:48 PM
maybe I should take this as a sign and not turn them on at all against Det

I did not turn the Packers on at all this afternoon, didn't even peek at the score until 4:00. I guess I wasn't the root of their problems after all.:roll: