PDA

View Full Version : Goodell got it wrong and he's sorry.

George Cumby
09-19-2014, 02:55 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/19/goodell-i-got-it-wrong-im-sorry-and-now-i-will-get-it-right/

What say you, Rats?

denverYooper
09-19-2014, 06:46 PM
Denver Post's TV critic wrote it up:
http://blogs.denverpost.com/ostrow/2014/09/19/roger-goodells-press-conference/20005/

I fought the urge to quote the entire short post, but here's the wrap:

Okay, guys, all this attention will pass as soon as we get closer to the Super Bowl. So look like you mean it, stick to the script and run out the news cycle.

denverYooper
09-19-2014, 06:47 PM
"And push the idea that we’re adding some skirts in the board room."

pbmax
09-19-2014, 08:05 PM
I think Deadspin put it best in two different headlines:

To Prove He's Not Evil, Roger Goodell Pleads Incompetence

Goodell: I Suck At My Job. Now Trust Me

MadtownPacker
09-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Ok how about we all meet halfways and AP gives Goodie a whupping? Afterwards the pics get posted on NFL.com and they run a poll asking if punishment was sufficient.

Striker
09-19-2014, 11:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u0EL_u4nvw

pbmax
09-19-2014, 11:41 PM
The entire problem stems from his desire to personally oversee Player Conduct issues and having NO IDEA what that might entail, or what kind of traps he was laying for himself by handing down differing punishments for similar misdeeds depending on how he reacted to meeting with the player.

In the Q&A session, he seemed to obliquely say he was willing to give up some jurisdiction or control, I'll guess we'l see if he follows through. Maybe he learned something, my money is that he has not. He refused to use his appeal authority as a bargaining chip in the CBA when the owner's were out for a big win and it could have bought concessions. I don't think he gives up so easily.

Fritz
09-20-2014, 07:47 AM
Years ago, when women were not supplied with the current high-tech gadgetry to help them deal with their monthly issues, and bathing every day was not the norm, they would sometimes address issues of odor by applying a concoction whose name came from the french verb "douche."

Goodell seems to be a bag of that.

Pugger
09-20-2014, 08:20 AM
Goodell is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't in this situation. I'm sure past commissioners didn't address this issue because there was no video of the deeds. But once everyone saw the brutal act then everyone got upset and we need someone to blame so lets blame Goodell but not the perpetrator? IMO the only good thing about all of this perhaps domestic violence and child abuse will be out in the open and the monsters who are terrorizing the very people they supposedly love will be properly punished - and not just NFL players.

pbmax
09-20-2014, 10:39 AM
Goodell is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't in this situation. I'm sure past commissioners didn't address this issue because there was no video of the deeds. But once everyone saw the brutal act then everyone got upset and we need someone to blame so lets blame Goodell but not the perpetrator? IMO the only good thing about all of this perhaps domestic violence and child abuse will be out in the open and the monsters who are terrorizing the very people they supposedly love will be properly punished - and not just NFL players.

I agree to an extent, but he isn't the only sports League dealing with this. Nor is he the only employer in the same boat. His entire career has been in the NFL and his lack of imagination and hubris that he and his current staff could handle something like this demonstrates how shallow his thinking and knowledge is.

What he is doing now, hiring outside experts and decentralizing authority, should have been his plan from Day 1. I don't understand how the NFLPA signed off on his being judge, jury, appellate court and executioner. Unions have been through this before too. Its as if they actually believe Football as a Sports Entertainment Business is actually a Unicorn.

wist43
09-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Amerikans are control freaks and touchy-feely; hence, the need for all the lawyers.

Goodell is a lawyer - he, and all lawyers, need to go the way of priests during the French Revolution; bind their hands and feet, set them adrift in a boat, and then sink it ;)

Not a very effective means of disposal, but it made for great theatre :)

pbmax
09-20-2014, 11:14 AM
Amerikans are control freaks and touchy-feely; hence, the need for all the lawyers.

Goodell is a lawyer - he, and all lawyers, need to go the way of priests during the French Revolution; bind their hands and feet, set them adrift in a boat, and then sink it ;)

Not a very effective means of disposal, but it made for great theatre :)

Goodell is not a lawyer.

Rutnstrut
09-20-2014, 01:28 PM
I think Deadspin put it best in two different headlines:

To Prove He's Not Evil, Roger Goodell Pleads Incompetence

Goodell: I Suck At My Job. Now Trust Me

Hey it works for Obama.

wist43
09-20-2014, 01:39 PM
Goodell is not a lawyer.

I've heard on sports talk radio several times that he was lawyer - is he something worse??

Draw and quarter?? his head on a pike?? I'm okay with those, if you think drowning is too dignified for him ;)

denverYooper
09-20-2014, 02:05 PM
I've heard on sports talk radio several times that he was lawyer

Well shit, if you heard it several times on the radio, it must be true.

wist43
09-20-2014, 02:27 PM

Didn't have any reason to doubt it... if he's not a lawyer, he's certainly sleezy enough to be one.

Personally, I think the French Revolution priest drowning scenario would provide the most compelling reality TV though... and isn't that what Amerika is all about now, "reality" TV??

Let's look up his CV and see what we find :)

wist43
09-20-2014, 02:51 PM
There we go... seems papa was "connected", lol...

Was appointed to the U.S. Senate by Nelson Rockefeller (a more contempible sleeze never lived - and that's saying a lot, coz there's a lot of sleeze in this world) when Robert Kennedy was assassinated.

A "moderate" (code for a man with no principles), he showed his allegiance to the Establishment by going off the rails and voting the Establishment Party line, i.e. all things big government.

So daddy was pure scum.

Roger graduated from Washington & Jefferson College in Washington, Pennsylvania with a degree in economics. Strange, considering that papa was Ivy League - but, W&J is an elitist institution in its own right. $40k/year tuition, and highly ranked amongst the intelligencia.

Seems to have been rather innocuous as an employee within the league - strange pick for commissioner. I never really knew much about the guy... heard he was a lawyer, had no reason to doubt it.

Still, it makes sense that he wouldn't have a moral compass or any genuine sense of right and wrong, given his lineage.

-------------------------------------------------

I still vote we duct tape his hands and feet and give him the French priest treatment ;)

wist43
09-20-2014, 02:51 PM

You live in Denver, so you must be high, right??

denverYooper
09-20-2014, 08:44 PM
You live in Denver, so you must be high, right??

Some days but not today. Nice work on the background check, showing Roger's connection to the Illuminati. Looks like the old man was an attorney too.

pbmax
09-23-2014, 07:08 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/23/goodell-meets-with-former-players-to-discuss-conduct-policy/

Attending the session at 345 Park Avenue were Mike Singletary, Willie McGinest, Roman Oben, Eddie Mason, Matt Birk, Patrick Kerney, Robert Porcher, Charles Way, Scott Turner, Tony Paige, and Marty Lyons.

Singletary was in town anyway taking a Stephen Covey course: The 8th Habit: Dropping Your Pants To Succeed.

Joemailman
09-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Kudos to Goodell for leaving Ray Lewis off the list.

MadtownPacker
09-23-2014, 09:49 PM
Hey it works for Obama.
Dont fuck with me por favor.

Same goes for Wist. Keep conversations on topic.

George Cumby
09-24-2014, 09:20 AM
What really gets me is the overarching arrogance, cynicism and hubris of the NFL. They've got this product for which there seems to be a endless demand for. Given that, they treat the fans like sheep to be shorn. They cynically apologize knowing we'll forget about it and keep consuming their product.

The whole Mueller thing is a great example. "Oh look, the director of the Eff Bee Eye! It must be ok!" Is what they expect us to think, knowing the whole thing will blow over and we'll get distracted by the drama of the season, our own dramas in our own lives or the latest and greatest from the celebrity train wreck of the week.

I could diatribe for a good long while but the lack of accountability for the owners, the networks and the league is galling.

pbmax
12-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Adam Schefter
21 mins ·
At one point during owners meetings in Dallas, Giants owner John Mara and Steelers owner Art Rooney cleared out all NFL employees and team executives and spent about 10 minutes in an owners only meeting, updating the 30 other owners about the pending Mueller report as it pertains to the NFL’s handling of the Ray Rice domestic violence incident, per sources. Neither Mara nor Rooney offered specific details about the investigation. But their message was that former FBI director Robert Mueller III is being thorough, has interviewed every female employee at the NFL office, and is getting closer to releasing the report. One league source estimated the report would be released “sooner rather than later”, but neither Mara nor Rooney provided a specific timeline in their update. This represented the second time Mara and Rooney – who are overseeing the report -- have updated NFL owners without the presence of NFL executives, the first coming at a league meeting in October in New York.

Why is it important he interviewed every female is the League office? He isn't investigating assault charges against Goodell, he is investigating whether the League lied about the thoroughness of its own investigation.

George Cumby
12-14-2014, 10:02 AM
Ugh. What's that smell?

Joemailman
12-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Why is it important he interviewed every female is the League office? He isn't investigating assault charges against Goodell, he is investigating whether the League lied about the thoroughness of its own investigation.

Perhaps he feels the women have information on what the NFL knew, but have been left out of any decision making process. He may even want to know if they felt theirjobs were threatened if they talked about what they knew.