PDA

View Full Version : Official Bear Week 4 Discussion

pbmax
09-23-2014, 07:13 PM
Rodger's quote on his radio show:

"I have five letters for all the fans out there: R-E-L-A-X. Relax. We're going to be fine."

Wilde chimed in with "how about P-A-N-I-C".

This has not gone over well in Milwaukee, Homer is beside himself. It very much hearkened back to the week before the Texans game.

My read on M3 and Rodgers after the media rounds? Nothing is changing this week scheme wise. And nobody that I know about has asked about the Stark-plug getting the shaft in the second half.

hoosier
09-23-2014, 07:23 PM
Hard for fans to relax when everything they told was going to be new and improved (or at least more well-oiled than before) has turned out to be like a Christmas toy that breaks at 3pm on the 25th. In recent years the crappy starts were mitigated by period displays of brilliance (or at least competence). This year we are going to need to see a sea change in the offense before relaxation is an option.

wist43
09-23-2014, 07:42 PM
We faced 3 very good defenses... we weren't going to be running the ball no matter what. Still, from what I've seen, MM has reverted back to his 3 zone running plays. Is he really that stupid?? We'll see.

And on defense, dunderdummy actually seemed to put together a pretty good gameplan and called a decent game - at least that's what the stats bear out. Dunderdummy is entirely capable of putting a good product on the field - he just gets in his own way most of the time. I said when hired him 63 years ago that he can't be trusted.

All of that said, I think we have the players to turn it around - I think our dismal start is almost all coaching.

CBSsportsline dropped us in their power rankings down to #20. Some national sportstalk guys were lamenting how much the Packers have fallen off, and speculating if MM should keep his job??

I think the mess we've been seeing is fixable, but it won't be easy - we'll be underdogs to Chicago in Chicago. If we go to 1-3?? Could get messy.

Joemailman
09-23-2014, 07:52 PM
This is the week we found if there really is a problem with the Packers running game. Thus far the Packers have faced 3 of the top 5 rushing defenses in the NFL. Jets are #1 with 165 yards, Lions #2 at 191, Seahawks #3 at 217. All 3 teams are allowing just 2.8 YPC. So it's not just the Packers who have been unable to run on those teams. And then there's the Bears. Their run defense ranks #26 with 434 yards given up and a 5.0 YPC. This is the week the Packers have to break out of their slump.

Tyrion Lannister
09-23-2014, 09:40 PM
CBSsportsline dropped us in their power rankings down to #20.

NFL power rankings are worthless and meaningless. 1-2 is bad but rankings only mean shit in MINOR league football (NCAA).

Rutnstrut
09-23-2014, 10:57 PM
Has anyone heard anything on Clay's vag injury?

pbmax
09-23-2014, 11:06 PM
Where have you gone, Jermichael Finley ..
An offense turns its lonely eyes to you
Woo woo woo

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ByLHC1gCIAANO2E.jpg:large

pbmax
09-23-2014, 11:14 PM
Kenny Stills recalls the games against the Bears, Ditka versus Gregg.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/post-nfl-pain-has-hit-kenny-stills-hard-b99357495z1-276875521.html#packers

In the 1980s, Stills said, Gregg "hated Chicago," Ditka "hated Green Bay" and the hate led to many a concussion, many a slipped disc. His hit, Martin's hit, Mark Lee's hit of Walter Payton all "fueled that rivalry." At Lambeau Field, he said, the Packers made sure the tubes of water underneath the field were heated up to create a muddy field that would slow down Payton.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2014, 01:00 AM
We break out of the slump this week and beat the Vikings on Thursday. Then, all will be right with the world. You can put it on the board.

I do think the defense is headed in the right direction. Terrible in game 1. Terrible in the first quarter in week 2. Utterly competent since--save for them getting worn down at the end of the last game. Hard to fault them. I think the time of possession was almost two to one. There's actually some hope for the defense, and you'd think the offense will turn things around. Of course, Matthews gets injured--just when I was feeling a bit better about the defense.

Fritz
09-24-2014, 06:40 AM
In the past, I could see some glimmers of hope. This year, the offense looks really awful most of the time. What the hell happened to this being one of the best offensive lines MM ever had? They haven't blocked for shit. And Lacey has not helped. What happened to him?

I felt good about the defense as I watched the Detroit game - until the last part of the game. Then it was the same ol' Packers, getting literally run over. Where's all that Mike Daniels talk? In fact, where was Mike Daniels?

And did anyone hear anything about Porcelain Matthews' injury?

Zool
09-24-2014, 08:09 AM
In the past, I could see some glimmers of hope. This year, the offense looks really awful most of the time. What the hell happened to this being one of the best offensive lines MM ever had? They haven't blocked for shit. And Lacey has not helped. What happened to him?

I felt good about the defense as I watched the Detroit game - until the last part of the game. Then it was the same ol' Packers, getting literally run over. Where's all that Mike Daniels talk? In fact, where was Mike Daniels?

And did anyone hear anything about Porcelain Matthews' injury?

To make an excuse for the Oline, they have played 3 of the best Dlines in football in consecutive weeks. 93 on the Bares looks pretty good, and I suppose Jared Allen can put the walker down and rush the passer occasionally. He never was very good at run D. The O should bounce back this week.

pbmax
09-24-2014, 08:55 AM
Its hard to fault the O line in Detroit for run blocking. Starks managed to find room to run. Lacy bailed on a lot of inside holes because they weren't clean.

Like the pass pro, there were a couple of debacles (safety) that camouflage the actual problem in the run game.

Does anyone remember last year that McCarthy adjusted the ground game for Lacy and ran more power O and traps and less ZBS?

wist asked during the game how much they were running ZBS and I truthfully can't say. But I suspect, given Starks positive contribution, it was much of the first half.

pbmax
09-24-2014, 01:00 PM
Genaro C. Armas ‏@GArmasAP 8m
#Packers practice: Everybody there in portion open to media, including LBs Matthews, BJones, CB Davon House.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 6m
Not something I try to remember, but can't recall going to #Packers practice and seeing every player on roster practicing.

Matthews' groin apparently no issue and Brad Jones back, as well.

Word of caution:
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 17m
All we know for sure is Matthews took part in all individual drills. Media doesn't get to see team. #Packers

Zool
09-24-2014, 01:15 PM
Genaro C. Armas ‏@GArmasAP 8m
#Packers practice: Everybody there in portion open to media, including LBs Matthews, BJones, CB Davon House.

Not something I try to remember, but can't recall going to #Packers practice and seeing every player on roster practicing.

Matthews' groin apparently no issue and Brad Jones back, as well.

Word of caution:
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 17m
All we know for sure is Matthews took part in all individual drills. Media doesn't get to see team. #Packers

Dammit

pbmax
09-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1m
Brad Jones and Clay Matthews are officially "limited" participants at #Packers practice.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 2m
McCarthy on Clay Matthews (limited in today's practice): Clay's going to always do everything he can. We'll just take it day by day.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 2m
McCarthy on no-huddle: A big part of our offense. ...Mechanics have been good. Production on offense not where we want it to be.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 15s
McCarthy on 12/18 chemistry: They have good chemistry. A good day today on the practice field. I'd say they're very comfortable.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 21s
McCarthy on Bears' D: They're more settled into their scheme. DL changes. You see impact three DE have made. Wait/see on inj from Mon night

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 11s
McCarthy on Bears offense: Thought they did a heck of a job last year. They still have same threats when you look at their perimeter group.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 8m
McCarthy on Bostick: Important for all of our guys to focus on ST, excel at where their role is right now. Brandon working his way back.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 6m
McCarthy on Bryan Bulaga: It was good to get him back out there. I think everybody was happy w/ the way he was able to finish.

Fritz
09-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 8m
McCarthy on Bostick: Important for all of our guys to focus on ST, excel at where their role is right now. Brandon working his way back.

I think this answers the question of why Bostick hasn't been playing TE. He's being punished - no TE for you, little boy, until you clean up your Special Teams play!

denverYooper
09-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 6m
McCarthy on Bryan Bulaga: It was good to get him back out there. I think everybody was happy w/ the way he was able to finish.

I think everybody was happy that he was able to finish.

Maxie the Taxi
09-24-2014, 06:33 PM
That pix of Rodgers and his receivers says it all, pb. ...And guys here are asking why our receivers can't get open this year like they used to.

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2014, 07:28 PM
I think everybody was happy that he was able to finish.

happy... finish

http://www.laweekly.com/imager/beavis-and-butthead/b/big/4168963/0abf/beavis550.jpg

Joemailman
09-24-2014, 07:33 PM
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/66/3f/9e/663f9eb31c69c3a52262e5a55414c394.jpg

George Cumby
09-24-2014, 10:24 PM
That pix of Rodgers and his receivers says it all, pb. ...And guys here are asking why our receivers can't get open this year like they used to.

Indeed. THAT was a deep receiving corps.

Fosco33
09-25-2014, 10:04 AM
I'm headed to the game - w/ some Bear coworkers (corp is outta chitown).

Been to a lot of stadiums over the years -but never Soldier Field. Weather looks good for now.

Hoping for a decent game.

Pugger
09-25-2014, 01:12 PM
I'm headed to the game - w/ some Bear coworkers (corp is outta chitown).

Been to a lot of stadiums over the years -but never Soldier Field. Weather looks good for now.

Hoping for a decent game.

I was told by my BIL from chitown to wear my Packer gear at Soldier Field with caution if I ever went to a Packer Bear game there.

Fosco33
09-25-2014, 05:20 PM
I was told by my BIL from chitown to wear my Packer gear at Soldier Field with caution if I ever went to a Packer Bear game there.

I was thinking a simple throwback hoodie. Blue color and can only tell it's Packers if you know what you're looking at...

As I'll be with some bears fans - can't imagine it'll be hostile.

San Diego, Niner and Dodger fans always had a few that thought they were tough. But I'm no small dude either...

VegasPackFan
09-25-2014, 06:09 PM
There's always lots of Packer fans there so you don't need to hide from the Bear crowd. I went there in full GB gear and colors for a game and I was not mistreated at all. Razzed quite a bit but it all seemed in good fun to me.

Joemailman
09-25-2014, 08:11 PM
Bears defense has forced 8 turnovers the last 2 weeks. Packers should have a decent chance if they protect the ball. There are definitely some holes in the Bear defense.

Harlan Huckleby
09-25-2014, 08:25 PM
I won't be surprised if the Packers win easily. If Rodgers gets hot, suddenly passes fit in tight spaces and everybody looks good. This is the Green Bay Rodgers, and they aren't facing the 85 Bears defense.

Rutnstrut
09-25-2014, 08:28 PM
Bears defense has forced 8 turnovers the last 2 weeks. Packers should have a decent chance if they protect the ball. There are definitely some holes in the Bear defense.

That's what was said about the Lions defense.

Rastak
09-25-2014, 08:41 PM
I was thinking a simple throwback hoodie. Blue color and can only tell it's Packers if you know what you're looking at...

As I'll be with some bears fans - can't imagine it'll be hostile.

San Diego, Niner and Dodger fans always had a few that thought they were tough. But I'm no small dude either...

I was there for a Vikings - Bears game with some Bears fans a few years back. They were all very cool there, and very passionate about their team. I was wearing my Vikes uni but I had a big assed parka over it. It was 10 degrees and windy. I spent most of the game trying to stay alive.

That said, I thought the sight lines were great and I really liked the stadium minus the fucking frigid assed weather.

Rastak
09-25-2014, 08:42 PM
There's always lots of Packer fans there so you don't need to hide from the Bear crowd. I went there in full GB gear and colors for a game and I was not mistreated at all. Razzed quite a bit but it all seemed in good fun to me.

Yea, for the most part they were really nice.

Tyrion Lannister
09-25-2014, 09:47 PM
I was there for a Vikings - Bears game with some Bears fans a few years back. They were all very cool there, and very passionate about their team. I was wearing my Vikes uni but I had a big assed parka over it. It was 10 degrees and windy. I spent most of the game trying to stay alive.

That said, I thought the sight lines were great and I really liked the stadium minus the fucking frigid assed weather.

How long til the new Hump Dump opens? Better hope the Vikes don't win the North and host a playoff game. It's colder at that cow college stadium in Minneapolis (or is it St. Paul?) in January than it is at Lambeau Field.

Rastak
09-25-2014, 10:00 PM
How long til the new Hump Dump opens? Better hope the Vikes don't win the North and host a playoff game. It's colder at that cow college stadium in Minneapolis (or is it St. Paul?) in January than it is at Lambeau Field.

Hump dump sounds like maybe one of your Saturday night conquests......anyway, I don't think either one of us needs to worry about playoff games this year.

Tyrion Lannister
09-25-2014, 10:18 PM
Hump dump sounds like maybe one of your Saturday night conquests......anyway, I don't think either one of us needs to worry about playoff games this year.

It ain't over til the fat lady sings. But if it is indeed over, at least Greg Jennings looks good in purple. :taunt:

superfan
09-25-2014, 11:08 PM
If this doesn't get you in the mood for the game, nothing will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpGFZ-yKX6g

VegasPackFan
09-26-2014, 03:06 AM
Such a think of beauty..

The Shadow
09-26-2014, 09:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA2fHoUkG2g

A vintage thing of beauty.

George Cumby
09-26-2014, 11:46 AM
Bears starting center and one of the starting guards are out.

I'm predicting Datone Jones builds off of last weeks game.

pittstang5
09-26-2014, 01:53 PM
Looks like we might get to see Janis after all. Boykin is questionable with a knee/groin injury - which I knew nothing about. Also, what's up with Nick Perry and his wrist again? SMH

http://gnb.scout.com/story/1456673-injury-report-matthews-probable

Teamcheez1
09-26-2014, 02:07 PM
Looks like we might get to see Janis after all. Boykin is questionable with a knee/groin injury - which I knew nothing about. Also, what's up with Nick Perry and his wrist again? SMH

http://gnb.scout.com/story/1456673-injury-report-matthews-probable

Looks like Boykins is getting "Brad Jones'd" to the sidelines.

Maxie the Taxi
09-26-2014, 02:58 PM
Good for Janis. Nice kid. I hope he suits up from now on.

Lattimore will start too. He deserves it. Had a great game against Detroit.

Harlan Huckleby
09-26-2014, 03:27 PM
I'm not hatching my chickens until they are counted. I'll believe it when Janis trots on field.

Rutnstrut
09-26-2014, 05:55 PM
Looks like Boykins is getting "Brad Jones'd" to the sidelines.

Hopefully that fucking worthless POS Jones keeps getting Brad Jones'd.

Joemailman
09-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Hopefully that fucking worthless POS Jones keeps getting Brad Jones'd.

I figured you'd be hoping for him to get Nick Collins'd. :wink:

Rastak
09-26-2014, 10:26 PM
If this doesn't get you in the mood for the game, nothing will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpGFZ-yKX6g

What up Superfan?

Love the Harv quote.

Fosco33
09-28-2014, 06:42 PM
Had a great time today. Bears fans were mostly nice. Got to meet and take a pic with Mark Murphy way up in our section. Game felt over early 4th q.