PDA

View Full Version : #12 Tells People To "Relax!"

Infamous
09-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Some say he sounded kind of condescending; but with the season being a marathon not a sprint, and with GB making playoffs after starting 1-2 past seasons, I concur. He did decent job of detailing the team's current issues and intimated practical remedies in this same sound bite.

Not sure why so many people on this forum panic so quickly when there are nearly no great teams (teams with stellar offense and defenses simultaneously). So the goal is often to develop into a team heading into the stretch run. Although not the best personnel, GBs issues are so fixable.

hoosier
09-24-2014, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't describe my reaction as panicky by a long stretch. But I do see some differences between this year's slow start and others, so while I get the point about the season being a marathon and not a sprint, not all 1-2 starts are the same. This one in particular has had some unexpected problems that haven't yet been explained, let alone solved: Lacy's struggle to match last year's production (despite MM's predictions that this could be the best OL group he has coached), Cobb's apparent inability to get open, Boykins's dropsies, non-production from the TE position. Maybe some or all of that gets corrected, but each of these has come as a surprise and none of them have a clear fix that I am aware of.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2014, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't describe my reaction as panicky by a long stretch. But I do see some differences between this year's slow start and others, so while I get the point about the season being a marathon and not a sprint, not all 1-2 starts are the same. This one in particular has had some unexpected problems that haven't yet been explained, let alone solved: Lacy's struggle to match last year's production (despite MM's predictions that this could be the best OL group he has coached), Cobb's apparent inability to get open, Boykins's dropsies, non-production from the TE position. Maybe some or all of that gets corrected, but each of these has come as a surprise and none of them have a clear fix that I am aware of.

The 1-2 starts are similar in regard to the strength of the opponent. The difference is that it's the offense that is struggling more than the defense. Last year, the offense was still scoring 30 points/game in the first 3 games while the defense was giving up 30 points/game in the 1-2 start. This is actually more similar to 2012--when the offense got off to a slow start and the defense was playing okay. In all three years we lost to a very good team on the road (at Seattle, at San Francisco, and at Seattle), beat a mediocre team (Chicago, Washington, NY Jets), and lost to what looks to be pretty good teams in the other game (San Francisco, Cincinnati, Detroit). I'd feel a lot better if we beat Chicago though. If so, we can run off a 3-4 game winning streak and things will look a lot better. If we lose to Chicago, it's going to be hard to come back but not impossible (mainly because we can make up for the losses to Chicago and Detroit with home victories against those teams later in the year).

denverYooper
09-24-2014, 02:09 PM
SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 6m
Working on stat piece on Green Bay's offense for tomorrow. Would actually need to add a few flavors to get up to vanilla.

Fritz
09-24-2014, 02:34 PM
Some say he sounded kind of condescending; but with the season being a marathon not a sprint, and with GB making playoffs after starting 1-2 past seasons, I concur. He did decent job of detailing the team's current issues and intimated practical remedies in this same sound bite.

Not sure why so many people on this forum panic so quickly when there are nearly no great teams (teams with stellar offense and defenses simultaneously). So the goal is often to develop into a team heading into the stretch run. Although not the best personnel, GBs issues are so fixable.

In the past, I have been more optimistic about the 1-2 starts, especially last year when the defense started off pretty well. But for some reason, I am more baffled and more irked by this team's slow start. I don't know if it's that MM talked up this offensive line so much, yet Rodgers has been under pressure a lot already, or if it's that Eddie Lacey seems to have inexplicably regressed, or if it's that despite all the hype about the defensive changes, this defense still broke down early against Seattle and New York and couldn't stop Detroit when they needed to late (looked just like last year), or if it's the invisible tight ends, or if its Randall Cobb's inability to get open, or if it's that this team is (knock on wood) healthy so far and they STILL suck.

But I will try to take Aaron Rodgers's advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WZ33w3B8Hw

Zool
09-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Where's Harlan. He probably digs some FgtH

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2014, 03:12 PM
I think this looks like a 10-6, one-and-done team. I'll take it.

The offensive line is not playing badly, they are not the problem. They need to "gel" as they say, but individually I like all 5.

I heard somewhere that Bostic is not playing because he has stumbled in practice.

I think they need to activate all 5 wide receivers and find three players that produce. Give Bostic a try. With a little more experimentation, they'll come up with a combo of receivers that is an upgrade, if unspectacular.

Rutnstrut
09-24-2014, 03:28 PM
I think this looks like a 10-6, one-and-done team. I'll take it.

The offensive line is not playing badly, they are not the problem. They need to "gel" as they say, but individually I like all 5.

I heard somewhere that Bostic is not playing because he has stumbled in practice.

I think they need to activate all 5 wide receivers and find three players that produce. Give Bostic a try. With a little more experimentation, they'll come up with a combo of receivers that is an upgrade, if unspectacular.

Optimistic aren't you? If they look as flat and unprepared Sunday as they have so far, I doubt they make the playoffs.

denverYooper
09-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Optimistic aren't you? If they look as flat and unprepared Sunday as they have so far, I doubt they make the playoffs.

If they struggle with the Bears defense, which is a big step down from the first 3 Ds they've faced, then I'll adjust my expectations.

Pugger
09-24-2014, 03:38 PM

Almost everyone here is more optimistic than you. :lol: I'm not panicking either because it is early in the season.

Rutnstrut
09-24-2014, 03:48 PM
Almost everyone here is more optimistic than you. :lol: I'm not panicking either because it is early in the season.

So if they look absolutely terrible this weekend, will you be worried?

Zool
09-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Nothing about pro football worries or scares me. It's entertainment only.

Joemailman
09-24-2014, 06:13 PM
I think what has me a little concerned is the amount of time in the first 3 games that the Packers have trailed by double digits. Last year when they started out 1-2, they had a blowout win over the Redskins sandwiched by two very close road losses to playoff teams. I was frustrated that they were 1-2, because I felt they could have very easily been 3-0. This year I'm just relieved that they're not 0-3.

VegasPackFan
09-24-2014, 06:19 PM
Would be nice to get a home game once in a while too.

I really think the key here is getting some production out of the TE. Most of your top notch offenses in this day and age have a very good TE option to create mismatches. Bostick could be it.

Joemailman
09-24-2014, 06:56 PM

I really think the key here is getting some production out of the TE. Most of your top notch offenses in this day and age have a very good TE option to create mismatches. Bostick could be it.

Not this week. MM's comments at his PC sound like Bostick is not a part of the offensive game plan right now. Sounds like he's in the doghouse right now.

Carolina_Packer
09-24-2014, 07:14 PM

This! Speaking of production out of the TE spot, how about some blocking by Richard Rodgers? Would Ryan Taylor be considered the Packers best blocking TE? I wonder if they have considered getting him some more snaps to help the O-line. I seem to recall he has been targeted before, although not much in the past couple of years.

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2014, 07:22 PM
Not this week. MM's comments at his PC sound like Bostick is not a part of the offensive game plan right now. Sounds like he's in the doghouse right now.

Well, that makes sense. Why mess with a winning forumula? :x

I say let Finley take-out a life insurance policy and suit him up.
Or sign Tony Gonzalez. (Mark Tauscher's bright idea.)
Mark Chmura has kept in shape.

I want a shake up. Janis on the field for some plays.

Joemailman
09-24-2014, 07:42 PM
Well, that makes sense. Why mess with a winning forumula? :x

I say let Finley take-out a life insurance policy and suit him up.
Or sign Tony Gonzalez. (Mark Tauscher's bright idea.)
Mark Chmura has kept in shape.

I want a shake up. Janis on the field for some plays.

I think Tom Crabtree is a free agent. Maybe break out the fake field goal play against the Bears.

King Friday
09-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Maybe I will relax if they come out this week and make it through the first offensive possession without a turnover. Hell, a three and out with a 40 yard punt would be spectacular improvement over the last 2 weeks.

If my performance isn't up to standard at my job, plenty of people won't relax. Rodgers needs to spend less time telling the fans how to be fans and more time figuring out how to look like an MVP caliber QB again.

Tyrion Lannister
09-24-2014, 11:37 PM

Fat Mac doesn't have a doghouse. He's not a disciplinarian. I've seen players make stupid mistakes over and over again and Fat Mac kept playing them.

pbmax
09-24-2014, 11:48 PM

Source?

channtheman
09-25-2014, 12:08 AM
I'm more concerned with Rodgers looking like a 2nd string QB than anything else.

Harlan Huckleby
09-25-2014, 06:41 AM
Source?

Probably Silverstein on the radio, I forget. (BTW, I meant "stumbled" figuratively, not that he tripped.)

pbmax
09-25-2014, 12:29 PM
Probably Silverstein on the radio, I forget. (BTW, I meant "stumbled" figuratively, not that he tripped.)

I think they are trying to work him back into game shape, because with that injury, he missed several weeks of practice. But that is just a guess at this point.

Harlan Huckleby
09-25-2014, 12:56 PM
I think they are trying to work him back into game shape, because with that injury, he missed several weeks of practice. But that is just a guess at this point.

http://www.thebig1070.com/media/podcast-lucas-and-dawson-podcasts-lucasanddawson/92314-lucas-and-dawson-25331439/
Silverstein at 59:00 said Bostic is fine physically, running very well; he assumes Bostic not performing in practice.

Tyler Dunne:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-tight-end-brandon-bostick-still-trying-to-catch-up-b99357974z1-277030671.html
"So far, the Packers are seeing something in practice that's preventing Bostick from playing in the games."

Maxie the Taxi
09-25-2014, 02:22 PM
..."So far, the Packers are seeing something in practice that's preventing Bostick from playing in the games."

So what's Bostick doing in practice that's worse than what we're seeing Richard Rogers doing on game film?

Carolina_Packer
09-25-2014, 06:44 PM
So what's Bostick doing in practice that's worse than what we're seeing Richard Rogers doing on game film?

I think the team did this to themselves as far a TE is concerned. I know they probably thought they would get more solid play from RR, and they typically don't fill need from free agency, but they almost should have gotten a vet stop-gap TE to ensure that RR had time to develop and ease his way into the offense, instead of the team having to rely on him so much. Perhaps Bostick's return will limit RR's snaps, which will be good for now.

Harlan Huckleby
09-25-2014, 07:02 PM
they almost should have gotten a vet stop-gap TE to ensure that RR had time to develop and ease his way into the offense

Wouldn't that be Quarless?

I wouldn't say they went into the season undermanned at TE. Bostick just has hit a snag.

Bossman641
09-26-2014, 12:08 AM
I heard bostick punched a coach

Harlan Huckleby
09-26-2014, 01:07 AM

I don't care if it's true or not. That's a damn good story and I'm gonna run with it.

VegasPackFan
09-26-2014, 02:57 AM

Well if was Capers or Slocum I'm all for it....

pbmax
09-26-2014, 07:10 AM

I thought he was dating M3's daughter.

George Cumby
09-26-2014, 11:14 AM
I thought he was dating M3's daughter.

Wife.

Rastak
09-26-2014, 10:28 PM
Wife.

That would do it.....similar to m3 and some team exec, right?

Carolina_Packer
09-26-2014, 10:48 PM
That would do it.....similar to m3 and some team exec, right?

Which team exec, Murphy?

http://www.packers.com/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/article_images/2014/03-march/140301-murphy-takes-five-420.jpg

Rastak
09-26-2014, 11:00 PM
Which team exec, Murphy?

http://www.packers.com/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/article_images/2014/03-march/140301-murphy-takes-five-420.jpg

It's not important - but I thought it was some board member or something....

Joemailman
09-26-2014, 11:02 PM
Which team exec, Murphy?

MM married the ex of a member of the Packers Board Of Directors. http://www.playerwives.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/mike-mccarthys-wife-jessica-kress/

mmmdk
09-27-2014, 08:05 AM
What’s that? Ah — Relax? Don’t talk about — relax[ing]? You kidding me? Relax? I just hope we can win a game!

Wrong Frankie song, "buddies, old pals"...it's Bears week. We should be singing: 'When two tribes go to war'!

:wave:

Infamous
09-28-2014, 03:10 PM
R-E-L-A-X

red
09-28-2014, 03:42 PM
the passing game clicked today, but that was about it

running game sucked, defense was saved by cutler sucking it up.

not really relaxing after this game.