PDA

View Full Version : "Bears Efforts Seem to be Paying Off"

Bretsky
09-28-2014, 08:36 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rebuilding-efforts-appear-to-be-paying-off-for-bears-b99359588z1-277345601.html

Interesting article as well as timing of the article. Surely it's not hard for homers to rip this article apart and it can get ripped even worst if GB wins today.

We all now teams can get put together different ways, and there is plenty of evidence suggesting the gap between Green Bay and the rest of the NFC North is getting closer

Joemailman
09-28-2014, 08:47 AM
It should be getting closer. These teams draft earlier than the Packers almost every year. Sometimes significantly earlier. Actually I don't know how great the gap has been. The Packers were a wild card team when they won the Super Bowl. More than anything, the Packers have found ways to win when they really need to. That is a credit to the coaching staff that gets little respect here.

denverYooper
09-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Oh good, it's McGinn. Whenever he writes an article, the opposite usually happens.

pbmax
09-28-2014, 09:13 AM
One clear area that has not thrived under Emery and Trestman is the defense.

I am curious if offense and defense are always at odds over resources, whether one helps special teams more (guessing defense) and if there is a clear advantage to rebuilding one side versus the other. Its rare you get sustained top ranked units on the same team.

Harlan Huckleby
09-28-2014, 10:19 AM
The offense is clearly better than we've seen in many years. I'd say it's talent, not coaching or play calling. The defense isn't bad.

Bretsky
09-28-2014, 10:34 AM
One clear area that has not thrived under Emery and Trestman is the defense.

I am curious if offense and defense are always at odds over resources, whether one helps special teams more (guessing defense) and if there is a clear advantage to rebuilding one side versus the other. Its rare you get sustained top ranked units on the same team.

I think Trestman is brillians on the offensive side of the ball; I was not at all happy when the Bears hired him.

Hiring a top notice O guy often lends to the focus of upgrading talent on that side of the ball as well. It has worked.......but they've did at at sacrifice of the defense.

esoxx
09-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Packers recent drafting not good. No surprise other teams closing, or have closed, the gap.

Bretsky
09-28-2014, 10:47 AM
Packers recent drafting not good. No surprise other teams closing, or have closed, the gap.

FIVE CLAP....that is calling a spade a spade

King Friday
09-28-2014, 11:23 AM

We've lost talent in other ways too. The salary cap is a huge equalizer. If you have a sucky team, you typically will have cap space available to improve your team.

That said, I can't see the gap shortening that much unless either Cutler or Stafford take a step forward. The Bears and Lions this year aren't than much different from last year's versions...who BOTH pissed away the division when Green Bay was working through numerous gas station attendants at QB. The Packers were 1-2 in each of the last 2 years...what was the end result? At this point, I see no reason to expect otherwise unless A-Aron can't get his mind of Munn's tits.

denverYooper
09-28-2014, 06:59 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

denverYooper
09-28-2014, 07:00 PM
McGinn's timing continues to be impeccable.

George Cumby
09-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Yoop, you missed one "ha". Sloppy, Man, sloppy.

The Shadow
09-28-2014, 08:14 PM
Today was a wonderful example of how their efforts are 'paying off'.

pbmax
09-28-2014, 09:49 PM
This gives me an idea to help wist AND the Packers. Packers should hire all the old, ex-Bear scouts who worked for Jerry Angelo and let them scout for the Packers.

Burn anything they turn in on offensive players, but take the D reports seriously.

Zool
09-29-2014, 08:57 AM
Thanks B for again calling anyone who disagrees with you a homer. You and McGinn the same person?

MadScientist
09-29-2014, 09:14 AM
They have improved on offense. The Bears moved the ball at will against the Packers. Cutler being Cutler saved the Packers. If he was patient in the second half, they would have likely tied the game on their first drive instead of the pick to Matthews. The defense atrophied. The need Jarad Allen to beef up their rush so the back end isn't so exposed.

hoosier
09-29-2014, 10:09 AM
I went and looked at a Bear fan forum this morning in a fit of schaudenfreude. Mostly it was whiny excuses and calls to abandon ship. This was one of the few posts that get me feeling sympathetic--and really, really glad I am not a Bears fan.

One of the Bears reporters tweeted a moment ago that the Bears locker room basically all universally said that the Aaron Rodgers singlehandedly won this game. That doesn't make me feel any better about it, but it sickens me to give credit to this son of a bitch, like the Packers are this superior life form that has all the fucking answers while the Bears and their fandom scrounge on the gutter, working gloryholes just to make the playoffs while we pray for wins to our peasant heathen gods.

I'm tired of Packers success. My entire goddamn life has been nothing but Packers coming out on top. They may not always win titles, but they run their fucking franchise infinitely better at every turn. Yet here we are, putting 500 yards of offense up and getting blown out. It's a joke.

I'm obviously irrational and upset about this, so don't WindyCity me for a few days if possible. I need a beer and am stuck at work.

Patler
09-29-2014, 10:45 AM
The article is premature. No one knows yet how successful their moves are/will be on a long term basis. This same article was written about the Bears after a couple years under Lovie Smith. It was written about the Lions after a few years of the Schwartz. Similar articles have been written about the Vikings over the years when they had seasons of success.

The Packers have separated themselves from the rest of the division in only one way - consistency. They have been a good team for many years, but haven't been a great team since 1996. In any small sample of seasons, one or another of the Bears or Vikings (with an infrequent hint from the Lions) has been as good, or even better than GB, but they haven't been able to hang on to their success the way the Packers have. The one huge difference has been in the play of their QBs. For a few ganes or seasons, Cutler and Stafford can be every bit as good as Rodgers, or Favre before him. But so far, neither has shown the ability to play at a consistent level necessary for ultimate success. Until Rodgers declines and is not similarly replaced, or another QB steps up on one of the other teams, the Lions, Bears and Vikings will continue to chase the Packers in overall long term performance.

smuggler
09-29-2014, 03:45 PM
I actually think the Bears are the worst team in the division, but Minny and Detroit have improved relative to GB. So, while McGinn is wrong, he was almost right. And that's saying something after his 3 year slump.

Pugger
09-29-2014, 05:51 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Why-do-the-Packers-own-the-Bears.html

sharpe1027
09-29-2014, 06:57 PM
Oh good, it's McGinn. Whenever he writes an article, the opposite usually happens.

WOW. Nice call.

Joemailman
09-30-2014, 07:57 AM
I think Trestman is brillians on the offensive side of the ball; I was not at all happy when the Bears hired him.

Hiring a top notice O guy often lends to the focus of upgrading talent on that side of the ball as well. It has worked.......but they've did at at sacrifice of the defense.

I'd rather face Trestman than Lovie Smith. Lovie had the ability to neutralize the Packers greatest asset - the quarterback - whether it was Favre or Rodgers. I'll bet Rodgers is glad he doesn't have to go against Lovie's defenses twice a year anymore.

smuggler
09-30-2014, 08:48 AM
^ This.

Patler
11-12-2014, 11:40 AM
I know it's time to forget last week, and move on to next week, but I thought it would be fun to revisit this thread from before and after the first game with the Bears, especially the article that started it all.

Zool
11-12-2014, 01:02 PM
I actually think the Bears are the worst team in the division, but Minny and Detroit have improved relative to GB. So, while McGinn is wrong, he was almost right. And that's saying something after his 3 year slump.

Looks like we have a winner.

smuggler
11-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Coo!

Joemailman
11-12-2014, 05:21 PM

Don't worry. Be happy. :-D