PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: @ Bears Week 4

pbmax
09-28-2014, 04:39 PM
Stat Packers Bears
RETURN YARDS 169 43

End of the Devin Hester era. Might mean more Slocum.

Oof.

* Includes INT return yardage. But Packers still won ST return yardage battle.

Harlan Huckleby
09-28-2014, 04:47 PM
I know Micah Hyde had OK kickoff returns. That is too conservative a call, IMO. Gotta be somebody faster on roster.

red
09-28-2014, 04:59 PM
well those numbers are nice and deceiving

the real numbers.

neither team had a punt return

hyde had 2 returns for an average of 23 with a long of 25 (25,21)
harris had one return for 20 yards

ross for the bears had 2 returns for a 21 yard average with a long of 22 (22,20)

they look pretty equally unimpressive to me

102 of those "return yards" were on int returns. nothing to do with slocum and his shit unit

and on the plus side, we had a FG blocked

Iron Mike
09-28-2014, 05:02 PM
Anybody else notice that after the Martellus Bennett non-TD, there was a penalty on the Bears that was supposed to have been assessed on the next kick-off?? It never was.

And yet, the damned Bears' fans will STILL piss and moan about how the ref's handed the game to GB......

red
09-28-2014, 05:16 PM
Anybody else notice that after the Martellus Bennett non-TD, there was a penalty on the Bears that was supposed to have been assessed on the next kick-off?? It never was.

And yet, the damned Bears' fans will STILL piss and moan about how the ref's handed the game to GB......

lol

i remember the call but don't remember the kickoff

thanks for reminding us. was that at the end of the half?

BZnDallas
09-28-2014, 05:23 PM
i didn't see where they kicked it off from after the half... but if i remember correctly, the kick was fielded at the 5 and not in the endzone... guess i just assumed they marked off the penalty yardage...

channtheman
09-28-2014, 09:26 PM
I thought it was marked correctly to start the 2nd half. Admittedly, I didn't look to hard but based on where the kick landed I figured it had been spotted 15 yards back.

hoosier
09-29-2014, 08:14 AM
First half penalties do not carry over to the second half. The ball should have been spotted at the 30 for the second-half kickoff.

MadScientist
09-29-2014, 08:59 AM
I thought it was marked correctly to start the 2nd half. Admittedly, I didn't look to hard but based on where the kick landed I figured it had been spotted 15 yards back.

That's what I thought. They caught it at the 5 and it was not a pop-up kick, and returned to the 30. It certainly seemed like they were kicking from farther back.

First half penalties do not carry over to the second half. The ball should have been spotted at the 30 for the second-half kickoff.

The ref explicitly said it would, and it makes sense to do so for dead ball fouls, otherwise you can get a free cheap-shot in at the end of a half.

QBME
09-29-2014, 09:55 AM
That's what I thought. They caught it at the 5 and it was not a pop-up kick, and returned to the 30. It certainly seemed like they were kicking from farther back.

The ref explicitly said it would, and it makes sense to do so for dead ball fouls, otherwise you can get a free cheap-shot in at the end of a half.

From the ESPN play-by-play log: "R.Gould kicks 75 yards from CHI 20 to GB 5. M.Hyde to GB 30 for 25 yards (D.Hurst)."

So it appears they did enforce the penalty.

Guiness
09-29-2014, 11:36 AM

Have to say, the decision making by the Bears at the end of the first half was awful. I can't believe they tried to run a play with 9 seconds on the clock instead of taking the FG. Until then, they had scored on every possession. They were behind because the Pack scored TDs while one of their scores was a FG, but not getting those points ratcheted up the pressure on their offense.

They were running at will against the Pack's D, and if they'd scored they could've waited for the Packers to make a mistake instead of botching it themselves.

run pMc
09-29-2014, 11:52 AM
I dunno -- it was aggressive, which you want. I think Trestman saw Rodgers was on fire and GB was getting the ball for the 2nd half KO, so he knew it would be tough to keep pace, especially with FG's.

I have more issue with the execution -- if Bennett doesn't flatten his route it's a TD. Plus, Cutler has giants in Marshall and Jeffries; so it's not like he doesn't have other RZ weapons to target.

hoosier
09-29-2014, 11:53 AM
Yup, my bad, the only dead-ball PFs that don't carry over to second half are unsportsmanlike and taunting.

MadScientist
09-29-2014, 12:01 PM
Have to say, the decision making by the Bears at the end of the first half was awful. I can't believe they tried to run a play with 9 seconds on the clock instead of taking the FG. Until then, they had scored on every possession. They were behind because the Pack scored TDs while one of their scores was a FG, but not getting those points ratcheted up the pressure on their offense.

They were running at will against the Pack's D, and if they'd scored they could've waited for the Packers to make a mistake instead of botching it themselves.

The decision was standard. There is enough time to take a shot and still get a field goal. Tresseman would have been called a pussy if he didn't take a shot, and rightly so. The TE fucked up by not taking is route deeper into the endzone before coming back for the ball.

Tyrion Lannister
09-29-2014, 12:52 PM
I know Micah Hyde had OK kickoff returns. That is too conservative a call, IMO. Gotta be somebody faster on roster.

Hyde sucks on defense also. On the Bennett non-TD, Hyde just stood around looking like an idiot instead of covering Bennett. Also missed more tackles in the game than Darren Sharper did in 19 games as a rookie.

Guiness
09-29-2014, 01:20 PM
The decision was standard. There is enough time to take a shot and still get a field goal. Tresseman would have been called a pussy if he didn't take a shot, and rightly so. The TE fucked up by not taking is route deeper into the endzone before coming back for the ball.

With 9 seconds, he was more than taking his chances, especially with the call he made.

A pass to the back corner of the endzone I could understand, but over the middle to the TE? Tackled in the field of play, those 9 seconds went away pretty quickly.

MadScientist
09-29-2014, 01:30 PM
With 9 seconds, he was more than taking his chances, especially with the call he made.

A pass to the back corner of the endzone I could understand, but over the middle to the TE? Tackled in the field of play, those 9 seconds went away pretty quickly.

The TE flattened the route. It was supposed to go into the endzone before coming back a little. Nothing wrong with throwing to an open TE in the endzone, even if it is over the middle. Given the situation, the back corner is going to be really hard to get open, so the middle is a good bet. The TE fucked up, plain and simple. I can't fault Cutler because from his position he couldn't tell the difference. (Yeesh I'm defending Cutler, that has to be a sign of the apocalypse.) If the TE goes 1-2 yards deeper like he was supposed to, we're spending today bitching about the coverage and not the decision.

Guiness
09-29-2014, 02:03 PM
The TE flattened the route. It was supposed to go into the endzone before coming back a little. Nothing wrong with throwing to an open TE in the endzone, even if it is over the middle. Given the situation, the back corner is going to be really hard to get open, so the middle is a good bet. The TE fucked up, plain and simple. I can't fault Cutler because from his position he couldn't tell the difference. (Yeesh I'm defending Cutler, that has to be a sign of the apocalypse.) If the TE goes 1-2 yards deeper like he was supposed to, we're spending today bitching about the coverage and not the decision.

For sure. D allowed the completion, and there is a 50-50 chance he did actually score. Dude's got long arms, and reached for the goal line. Luckily, Hyde was blocking the camera view, so the review amounted to nothing, and the call on the field stood!

I'm not sure if he flattened his route, or if there was coverage where he wanted to be, would have to watch again.

denverYooper
09-29-2014, 02:10 PM
I dunno -- it was aggressive, which you want. I think Trestman saw Rodgers was on fire and GB was getting the ball for the 2nd half KO, so he knew it would be tough to keep pace, especially with FG's.

I have more issue with the execution -- if Bennett doesn't flatten his route it's a TD. Plus, Cutler has giants in Marshall and Jeffries; so it's not like he doesn't have other RZ weapons to target.

This. All day. That series + the onsides kick was Trestman doing what M3 does when the Packers D can't stop the other team.

pbmax
09-30-2014, 08:30 AM
It was 4 cm from being a TD. It was a good chance to take.

ThunderDan
09-30-2014, 08:54 AM
It was 4 cm from being a TD. It was a good chance to take.
It looked to me that the TE didn't have control of the ball because he bobbled it and didn't get control until he was half a yard from the end zone.

channtheman
09-30-2014, 09:11 AM
It looked to me that the TE didn't have control of the ball because he bobbled it and didn't get control until he was half a yard from the end zone.

From the one angle it did look like he was bobbling it as he reached across. If the ball crossed the goal line, he possibly didn't have possession of it at that time. Play stands as called was the correct call to make post review.

denverYooper
09-30-2014, 09:55 AM
SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 33m33 minutes ago
Packers formation-diverse vs. CHI. They'd run 11 personnel 76% thru 3 games, but went heavy 12 base & more WR wrinkles. Made a difference.

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 30m30 minutes ago
Second-quarter TD to Cobb came out of a two-slot WR package Packers used a few times. Created iso matchups vs. man coverage. Go figure!

MadScientist
09-30-2014, 10:43 AM
Jarad Allen reportedly lost 18 pounds with a bout of pneumonia:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/30/jared-allen-resumes-working-out-after-bout-with-pneumonia/

While I'm not sorry the Packers missed facing him, that's some serious shit. As long as he gets the time to get back in shape, there should be no lasting effects.

pbmax
09-30-2014, 07:16 PM

Maybe. But consider an alternate scenario. I would bet you that loose ball control that was clearly over the line (plus control of ball when on the ground) would yield a TD call that would stand up to being reversed. Of course, I am probably forgetting about the rules section that covers this exact scenario that might render my argument moot.

denverYooper
10-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Bob McGinn ‏@BobMcGinn 5m5 minutes ago
The #Packers' roster has stood at 52 players for 13 days now.

Maybe he's shopping for a DT.

hoosier
10-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Bob McGinn ‏@BobMcGinn 5m5 minutes ago
The #Packers' roster has stood at 52 players for 13 days now.

Maybe he's shopping for a DT.

Another sign of TT's cheapness :-)

denverYooper
10-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Another sign of TT's cheapness :-)

He's waiting for double coupon day.

pbmax
10-01-2014, 11:43 AM
http://www.footballbyfootball.com/column/aaron-rodgers-makes-scooby-snacks-of-single-high-coverage

It is simple. In the NFL it is all about matchups. In the Detroit loss, the Lions defense started the game in a coverage that dared the Green Bay Packers to run the ball. The Lions used a Cover 2 defense with a mere six guys in the box to defend the run against the Packers (screen shot number 1).

The Packers seeing this, thought it would be the ideal defense to run against (it usually is based on math alone). First snap, hand the ball to Eddie Lacy, three yard gain. Second snap, hand the ball to Eddie Lacy again, fumble, Lions pick up the fumble and score a TD. The next series the Packers again ran the ball their first two plays without much success.

The Chicago Bears, on the other hand, didn’t have the same confidence in their defensive line devoid of the presence and toughness of Jared Allen, so they opted to utilize the single-high safety defense for the first part of the game (Screen Shot 2 below).

You know when Rodgers & Co. saw that single-high defense, they all began to smile ear to ear knowing very well their fortunes would change this week. They love that coverage because they know that can eat it up with timing routes like the slant-flat route combination that Jordy Neslon and Aaron Rodgers have mastered over the years ( third Screen shot).

Solution? Skip the run (unless you want to run zone and put Starks in), put in Harris and throw it to middle of field and the flats.

Fritz
10-01-2014, 11:57 AM
http://www.footballbyfootball.com/column/aaron-rodgers-makes-scooby-snacks-of-single-high-coverage

Solution? Skip the run (unless you want to run zone and put Starks in), put in Harris and throw it to middle of field and the flats.

This was Mike Holmgren's running game, particularly his first few years in GB.

pbmax
10-01-2014, 12:45 PM
This was Mike Holmgren's running game, particularly his first few years in GB.

McCarthy's was 5 wide or 4 plus Finley. Not as easy an option this year. Someone has to step up. Last year, oddly enough, it was Boykin.

HarveyWallbangers
10-01-2014, 06:09 PM
I don't understand why the Packers roster is at 52. Why didn't they call up Jumal Rolle and not lose him to Houston? I don't get. It's not to save a small chunk of salary, is it?

Freak Out
10-01-2014, 06:17 PM
They forgot. Fire Slocum!

pbmax
10-01-2014, 06:33 PM
I don't understand why the Packers roster is at 52. Why didn't they call up Jumal Rolle and not lose him to Houston? I don't get. It's not to save a small chunk of salary, is it?

I haven't even seen speculation about why. My only guess is uncertainty about a current injury.

Patler
10-01-2014, 08:51 PM

I haven't even seen speculation about why. My only guess is uncertainty about a current injury.

They are relatively healthy, so there isn't much need to fill the spot with a guy who will be inactive every game anyway.
As for Rolle, they have 6 healthy corners on the roster now, not much need for a 7th.

Besides, this will give them a roster spot to activate Tretter in a few weeks without having to release anyone.

pbmax
10-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Besides, this will give them a roster spot to activate Tretter in a few weeks without having to release anyone.

Good place to start the speculation, though it is early. I would also suspect there is no one they are convinced they need to pick up.

Guiness
10-02-2014, 09:19 AM
They are relatively healthy, so there isn't much need to fill the spot with a guy who will be inactive every game anyway.
As for Rolle, they have 6 healthy corners on the roster now, not much need for a 7th.

Pretty crazy that the whole defensive backfield is healthy! The 6th CB, Goodson, has he dressed yet? The Packers kept him, now at the expense of Rolle, who looked a lot better in the pre-season, I wonder what the plans are for bringing him along now that he's healthy.

We also haven't seen much of Richardson, who I thought would be on the field a lot more, but seems to be behind Burnett

HarveyWallbangers
10-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Makes little sense. It's saves a little bit of money, but doesn't reward guys on the practice squad. The Packers have a good reputation for building within, but this seems cheap. Why not call up Dorsey or White with Boykin out.

3irty1
10-02-2014, 12:21 PM
The 53rd spot is for Jesus.

Fritz
10-02-2014, 12:37 PM
The 53rd spot is for Jesus.

I think he's still playing college ball for Notre Dame.

Harlan Huckleby
10-02-2014, 12:42 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a41/brotz13/jalou.jpg

denverYooper
10-02-2014, 04:16 PM
I guess 53 is for Luther:

@RobDemovsky: #Packers finally have 53 on the roster. Promoted DT Luther Robinson from practice squad. Likely means Josh Boyd won’t play.