PDA

View Full Version : HHCD - future star

call_me_ishmael
09-28-2014, 10:27 PM
4 weeks in and the results to me look incredibly promising. He is always around the ball. I can't remember a Packer rookie defender being this active in a very long time.

What do you think?

pbmax
09-28-2014, 10:34 PM
Like him a lot. Needs to clean up tackling but it willing an big enough, so I expect that to improve.

mission
09-28-2014, 10:35 PM
I think you're right.

Just think back to how bad Nick Collins was as a rookie. Even going into his third year most fans said the Packers needed to move on. I know HHCD has had some gaffes, but he's been a major upgrade for us at the position and will keep getting better. Camera angle or not, that play he made at the goal line today was unreal when you really think about it. Martellus Bennett is no small man.

It's time for him to take the #1 snaps there. Hyde is a solid ballplayer and an upgrade over Bush, but you can't keep HHCD off the field. He just looks like a safety.

King Friday
09-28-2014, 10:40 PM
The kid has smarts...a strong football IQ. That goes a long way back there. He needs to get stronger. He needs to watch a lot of film. In time, he's going to be a very good player.

George Cumby
09-28-2014, 10:44 PM
The kid has smarts...a strong football IQ. That goes a long way back there. He needs to get stronger. He needs to watch a lot of film. In time, he's going to be a very good player.

Stronger? Balls. He had a hold of Bennett and wasn't letting go. That was some serious country-strong shit there, it's not like he had good leverage.

call_me_ishmael
09-28-2014, 11:35 PM
Another thing that is clear as day to me he is a great athlete. He looks huge and quick.

Guiness
09-28-2014, 11:44 PM
Like him a lot. Needs to clean up tackling but it willing an big enough, so I expect that to improve.

I thought he tackled very well on a couple of occasions tonight. That play where Burnett got bowled over, he made the tackle. There was at least one other play where I saw him make a nice solo tackle.

deake
09-29-2014, 10:21 AM
I still think keep Hyde and bench Burnett.

mission
09-29-2014, 10:56 AM
I still think keep Hyde and bench Burnett.

Burnett seems 50/50.. either WTF is he doing lost or "hey decent play". That one play where he came down to the LOS and just turned his back on a double team was ridiculous. Have no idea what he was doing there.

Smidgeon
09-29-2014, 11:06 AM
I'm going to contest the original premise. Only two years ago, the Packers had a player in the secondary playing lights out as a rookie.

Then he injured his hamstring the following year...

Guiness
09-29-2014, 11:17 AM
It's hard to fault Burnett much after the Bears game. A couple of 'wtf?' moments, but check the stat line - 13 tackles, 12 of them solo!

mission
09-29-2014, 11:28 AM
I'm going to contest the original premise. Only two years ago, the Packers had a player in the secondary playing lights out as a rookie.

Then he injured his hamstring the following year...

Safety and corner seems to adapt a lot different to the league. I don't know if it's because safeties have to do a lot of thinking and corners just have to stay on the guy in front of them or what.

pittstang5
09-29-2014, 11:29 AM
HHCD needs to be on the field more and near the LOS. Burnett needs not be near the LOS.

denverYooper
09-29-2014, 12:00 PM
HHCD needs to be on the field more and near the LOS. Burnett needs not be near the LOS.

Disagree. HHCD has given us the most competent deep S play GB has had since Nick Da Pick left.

Smidgeon
09-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Safety and corner seems to adapt a lot different to the league. I don't know if it's because safeties have to do a lot of thinking and corners just have to stay on the guy in front of them or what.

Well, the original post said "rookie defender", so I went with that...

But considering Hayward made his living as a zone defender (i.e. reading defenses and adjustments and QBs) as opposed to manning up on a player and running with them play in and play out, I'm not sure the difference is as big as it would be otherwise. Although I agree the safety position is more of an adjustment.

call_me_ishmael
09-29-2014, 12:48 PM

But considering Hayward made his living as a zone defender (i.e. reading defenses and adjustments and QBs) as opposed to manning up on a player and running with them play in and play out, I'm not sure the difference is as big as it would be otherwise. Although I agree the safety position is more of an adjustment.

I've always kinda thought Hayward was overrated personally. Let's hope HHCD isn't like that!

I perceive Haha as constantly around the ball and a physical mismatch for us. He is huge and looks super athletic to me. I never really saw Casey as having these characteristics.

Guiness
09-29-2014, 01:23 PM

I don't remember seeing Hayward at all yesterday, but he shows up on the stat line. When did he come in? Nickel? Dime?

Tyrion Lannister
09-29-2014, 01:29 PM
4 weeks in and the results to me look incredibly promising. He is always around the ball. I can't remember a Packer rookie defender being this active in a very long time.

What do you think?

Clinton-Dix looks like a Sean Taylor clone, but given that Kaepernick and Wilson seemly own the Packers, and the D is having trouble stopping the run, Thompson should've traded up in round 1 to get Ryan Shazier - IMO, of course.

Tyrion Lannister
09-29-2014, 01:31 PM
I don't remember seeing Hayward at all yesterday, but he shows up on the stat line. When did he come in? Nickel? Dime?

Usually when you don't hear a corner's name, he's doing his job. Hayward replaced Mr. Slip House and I don't think he allowed a completion.

mission
09-29-2014, 02:09 PM

Right, but he was covering the slot. Even in a zone defense (at least how Dom plays it for corners), you man up your guy until he leaves your zone. It's not like a linebacker zone where you take your drop and wait for someone to enter your zone.

3irty1
09-29-2014, 04:21 PM

He was finally back in nickel this week, hopefully a sign that he's ready to contribute after a terrible week 1. So far this year he's been a liability against the run which is no bueno for a slot guy. House has been good enough on the perimeter to allow Tramon to move inside to cover the slot. Hyde and Bush have also been getting more snaps in the slot than Hayward.

mission
09-29-2014, 04:58 PM
Clinton-Dix looks like a Sean Taylor clone, but given that Kaepernick and Wilson seemly own the Packers, and the D is having trouble stopping the run, Thompson should've traded up in round 1 to get Ryan Shazier - IMO, of course.

Of course.

Pugger
09-29-2014, 05:42 PM

Gee, I like his tackling... :cnf:

Pugger
09-29-2014, 05:44 PM
It's hard to fault Burnett much after the Bears game. A couple of 'wtf?' moments, but check the stat line - 13 tackles, 12 of them solo!

But do we want our safeties making that many tackles?

3irty1
09-29-2014, 07:20 PM
HHCD is just what was needed for Morgan Burnett to earn his check IMO. Haha is the better center fielder, Burnett is the better tackler at this point but neither is a liability in any assignment. Both get a chance to do it all. If nothing else they both look the part too. Haha is a gem.