PDA

View Full Version : dumb ideas

Harlan Huckleby
09-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Why not have Jordy Nelson return kickoffs? He's nifty, field position is critical.

I thought it might be useful to have all the bad ideas consolidated in one thread for future reference.

What's on your mind today? (specific call-out deleted for cheapness)

hoosier
09-30-2014, 03:11 PM
Nelson returned kickoffs for a while in 2010, I think. Here is what we learned:

A. Sometime he fumbles when he returns kickoffs. At least Harris and Hyde don't do that.
B. He was never especially explosive returning kicks. Occasionally he got it out around the 40, nothing that Harris or Hyde couldn't do.
C. If Nelson goes down the Packers are in a world of shit, and exposing him on an extra 2-3 plays per game when someone else can do the job just as well would be, well, dumb.

hoosier
09-30-2014, 03:12 PM
Dumb idea: the longer, leaner and more athletic clearly isn't working as advertised. Instead of trying to work the wrinkles out (or patch the gaping holes, pick your metaphor), they should re-sign Jolly and convince Houston to give Pickett back to them for a D5.

Pugger
09-30-2014, 03:42 PM
I'd rather they let Janis return kicks and punts so he can use his speed.

Carolina_Packer
09-30-2014, 03:44 PM
I'd rather they let Janis return kicks and punts so he can use his speed.

+1

3irty1
09-30-2014, 03:52 PM
Ok here's mine. Let Julius Peppers play tight end.

1) 6'7" 290 lbs
2) Its been done a little before. Mike Vrabel and Jason Taylor come to mind. Especially in the red zone.
3) He's got the basketball background that has been proven to work with guys like Gates.
4) It could extend his career by a couple of years.
5) Its a huge need.

Noodle
09-30-2014, 04:20 PM

1) 6'7" 290 lbs
2) Its been done a little before. Mike Vrabel and Jason Taylor come to mind. Especially in the red zone.
3) He's got the basketball background that has been proven to work with guys like Gates.
5) Its a huge need.

I LIKE this dumb idea, a lot.

He'd be a matchup nightmare in the red zone or on third downs, running simple stick or drag routes.

And I'm not really worried that he's going to get hurt, as he'd be bigger than anyone trying to bring him down.

So let's get MM on the phone and get this done!

MadtownPacker
09-30-2014, 04:30 PM
Brilliant Turdy1!! Can we start one of those online petitions?

Bretsky
09-30-2014, 05:50 PM
DUMB IDEA

Sign Brad Jones as a starter...wait....we did that already

ok....here is another

After he's back, start him again

channtheman
09-30-2014, 06:48 PM
We should do some voodoo magic and resurrect Howard Green to lead the Packers to another Super Bowl.

pbmax
09-30-2014, 06:55 PM
DUMB IDEA

Sign Brad Jones as a starter...wait....we did that already

ok....here is another

After he's back, start him again

After Sunday, we know he isn't the only problem. Even with Hawk having a good year.

George Cumby
09-30-2014, 08:10 PM
Dom Capers as DC.

Bretsky
09-30-2014, 10:02 PM
After Sunday, we know he isn't the only problem. Even with Hawk having a good year.

AJ Hawk is a solid last LB; in the end he makes a lot of junk tackles a few yards down the field. He's a great effort guy....a chaser....but not a playmaker.

I wonder how CJ Mosely is doing. Shazier was playing very well before getting hurt.

GB's ILB's this year are worse than last year's safeties.

3irty1
10-01-2014, 08:05 AM
AJ Hawk is a solid last LB; in the end he makes a lot of junk tackles a few yards down the field. He's a great effort guy....a chaser....but not a playmaker.

I wonder how CJ Mosely is doing. Shazier was playing very well before getting hurt.

GB's ILB's this year are worse than last year's safeties.

Your longstanding blood feud with Brad Jones withstanding, this is clearly not true. Jennings and McMillian aren't even in the league anymore.

pbmax
10-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Here is a question to fry your noodle:

Is Clay Matthews a worse ILB than Brad Jones is an OLB/SAM?

3irty1
10-01-2014, 10:33 AM
Here is a question to fry your noodle:

Is Clay Matthews a worse ILB than Brad Jones is an OLB/SAM?

Way too small of a sample size to tell. In their respective best games at the position Jones is better, in their respective worst games Jones is worse.

But this season the hyperbole originally crafted to fit Jones has been reality for Matthews: Oft injured and error prone with a team-crippling contract.

call_me_ishmael
10-01-2014, 11:58 AM

1) 6'7" 290 lbs
5) Its a huge need.

This will happen at some point this season. He'd be un-guardable.

TravisWilliams23
10-01-2014, 12:45 PM
To get Lacy going, let use the toss sweep more. Just handing the ball off to him going wide isn't doing the trick. If MM adds a toss to the equation, it just might work.

channtheman
10-01-2014, 02:07 PM
To get Lacy going, let use the toss sweep more. Just handing the ball off to him going wide isn't doing the trick. If MM adds a toss to the equation, it just might work.

I like to call it a handoff toss because it doesn't quite reach the outside like a sweep does, and in reality only goes about as far as Rodgers reaching out and handing the ball off. In fact, it almost looks like the idea is to go off tackle with this ridiculous play call. The plus side to tossing the ball to the RB is that he has to look at the ball and secure it before attempting to find a hole to run through. By delaying the ability of the RB to locate the seam to run through, MM has also successfully allowed all the OL to drop their blocks by the time the RB has secured the ball. This play often results in a loss of at least 3 or 4 yards. A great success by any measure!

pbmax
10-01-2014, 03:21 PM
He doesn't have to go wide. Many of them have been an Outside Zone run. He needs to pick a hole and cut into it. Or Starks should get in the game.

They also are running a center pulling play to run off the guard. Gives you a lead blocker between the Guard and Tackle with a 1 RB set.

Maxie the Taxi
10-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Dumb idea... Have Hawk and Lattimore play closer than 6 yards from the LOS.

Noodle
10-02-2014, 10:46 PM
Well, the Peppers INT return for a TD confirms the brilliance of 31's idea to use the big fella as a redzone terror TE. Simply awesome.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2014/10/03/72e1d9dc82e0372a35dac16ea8fcaba5.gif?1412300512

Tyrion Lannister
10-02-2014, 11:39 PM
Well, the Peppers INT return for a TD confirms the brilliance of 31's idea to use the big fella as a redzone terror TE. Simply awesome.

Anyone a physicist here? I wanna know why and how Peppers outran #84 and his 4.3 speed.

pbmax
10-02-2014, 11:41 PM
Anyone a physicist here? I wanna know why and how Peppers outran #84 and his 4.3 speed.

Not a physicist, but 84 had further to travel, so even faster might not have been enough.

Peppers had a truly deep LB pass drop. He is a freak.

Tyrion Lannister
10-02-2014, 11:51 PM
Not a physicist, but 84 had further to travel, so even faster might not have been enough.

Good explanation.

I saw 84, and I immediately thought of Randy Moss. Moss tackles when he wants to tackle.

Watching the clip provided noodle mutiple times, it looked like Patterson did put a lot of effort in trying to chase down Pep. I am glad Pep scored. :-)

Joemailman
10-03-2014, 12:43 AM
Dumbest idea:

Tyrion Lannister's doing the winners and losers thread.

hoosier
10-03-2014, 08:12 AM
Peppers even got to do a mini Walter Payton high step there.

Guiness
10-03-2014, 08:26 AM
Watch Mathews on the return, he starts out going back, realizes Peppers has almost reached him, turns around and stumbles, then does a good job of getting in the way of 2 guys.

Pugger
10-03-2014, 09:12 AM
Watch Mathews on the return, he starts out going back, realizes Peppers has almost reached him, turns around and stumbles, then does a good job of getting in the way of 2 guys.

I wonder if Julius' speed surprised Clay there? :lol:

Cheesehead Craig
10-03-2014, 09:29 AM
I kept hearing how RB McKinnon is such a speed demon and he never would have caught Peppers. Lattimore blocked him but at that point McKinnon was trying for a diving tackle as he knew he couldn't catch him.

pbmax
10-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Just think how effective zone defense would be if all linebackers were 6' 7" tall.

Guiness
10-03-2014, 10:28 AM
I kept hearing how RB McKinnon is such a speed demon and he never would have caught Peppers. Lattimore blocked him but at that point McKinnon was trying for a diving tackle as he knew he couldn't catch him.

Peppers was a man possessed and was not going to be stopped on that return. Watching it again, he also made a nice juke on the guard, Ducasse on his way by him.

The laws of physics were bent by a surge of adrenaline!

George Cumby
10-03-2014, 11:10 AM

I'm really digging me some Lattimore.

Pugger
10-04-2014, 08:06 AM

I wish they'd toss that play out the window.

BZnDallas
10-04-2014, 09:30 AM

I watched this replay with a zoomed out shot and 84 wasn't running hard at first. It looks like he assumes his teammates will get to J. Pep first but when CM3 set the edge then 84 tried to get to the corner but was too late!...

Love me some J. Pep! The freak part deux! (after Javon Kearse in TN)

3irty1
10-06-2014, 06:35 AM
McCarthy jokes (seemingly) about using Julius Peppers in Packers' offense

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/143277/mccarthy-jokes-seemingly-about-using-julius-peppers-in-packers-offense

Maxie the Taxi
10-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Which begs the question: Is Peppers more valuable as a defensive or offensive player, considering our woeful TE situation and the fact we're deep at LB?

Harlan Huckleby
10-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Which begs the question: Is Peppers more valuable as a defensive or offensive player, considering our woeful TE situation and the fact we're deep at LB?

Just for grins, I was looking at salaries by position. DE is second only to QB in average salary. TE is the cheapest position player on field. (Figures from 2013, http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1563549-breaking-down-the-money-at-every-nfl-position/)

DE $2.6M
LB $1.8M
TE $560K