PDA

View Full Version : Starks & Lannisters - Vikings, Act I

Tyrion Lannister
10-02-2014, 11:15 PM
The Starks are very nice folks. But they're all losers. One Stark got beheaded by an arrogant child-king of incest. Another got killed at a wedding. Yet another wedded the Imp. Another contained the mighty savages of the North Pole, but he's a fucking bastard so he's a loser.

The Lannisters, with the exception of the humble Tyrion, are arrogant as fuck. But they're winners. One Lannister got captured by the Starks, got his sword hand chopped off, and yet he still managed to return home to the sweet bed of his sister. 'Nuff said.

Personally, I hope the beautiful and just Daenerys Targaryen wins the game of thrones.

Starks (Losers):

Rodgers, Cobb and Nelson - For not putting up better fantasy numbers.

Lannisters (Winners):

Rodgers, Cobb and Nelson - 2nd quarter was not inspiring, but was efficient for the most part. On one of Lucy's TD run, Nelson let go of his guy, but then saw Lacy running toward him on the jumbo screen and reengaged his guy again...Lol.

Peppers - Somewhere on a Bears forum, a poster is venting about Emery's stupid decision to cut ties with Peppers. Pick-6 was awesome; not just the pick, not just the runback by Pep, but also the blocking that made the 6 possible (Lattimore turned around to block a guy, Claymaker took out 2 Vikes, etc.).

Defensive line - Did OK vs the run. Got more sacks tonight than Jamal Reynolds had in his entire career.

Lacy - Looked like a pimp, not a ho. Awesome job!

Secondary - Ponder was the QB, but shut down ex-Packers great Greg Jennings.

3irty1
10-03-2014, 08:57 AM
Duds:

Me for thinking the Vikes would cover. I thought Teddy would play but it appears he'd have been walking into a buzz saw. Our DL decimated their OL and Ponder's best throws were dropped.

Tyrion for the title of this thread.

Anyone who said Peppers would be playing out of position here. Going into this game Pff had him ranked the #1 3-4 OLB in the league. After this game he's the only player ever to get 100 sacks and 10 ints. I don't think there is such a thing as "playing out of position" for a guy like that.

Datone Jones for getting hurt.

Studs:

The WR's they made the Vikings secondary look a lot worse than it is.

They exposed some problems on that OL. Mike Daniels had some holy shit moments teleporting through their interior line. Even Guion and what's his name were disruptive. This front 4 can rush the passer with the best.

Hawk has had two good games in a row with some really physical stops. Lattimore made the routine look routine which is all you can ask for. Who actually thinks Brad Jones or Jarrett Boykin are hurt?

Burnett had another solid game. Again he was our leading tackler. He's been ripping at the ball all year and it finally paid off with a FF.

Nick Perry was an animal. Hell, Neal too. Those dudes may not be a featured part of this defense but they are tone setters. Bulls in a china shop.

Tim Masthay three consecutive punts of 58 yards.

Maxie the Taxi
10-03-2014, 09:46 AM
The entire team played well against a lesser opponent that was depleted by injuries, etc.

I agree with Fritz' comment of last night: "I feel like the Pack did not play nearly as well as the score."

As in years past, the team relied on a big play offense and turnovers to win.

In the first half, prior to garbage time, Minnesota won TOP 17:32 to 12:58. The Queens ran 38 offensive plays to the Pack's 26. Moreover, the Pack's 3rd down efficiency was 1 for 6 or 17%.

That said, I was impressed with Burnett. He was all over the field and tackling well. The pass rush was excellent, though it allowed Ponder some escape routes.

Lacy was in beast mode.

Good for Luther Robinson. The kid had quite a debut.

And Janis was targeted twice and caught both passes, one for a first down with a defender hanging on him.

I hope the team can carry this great effort over to Miami next week. Then we'll know for sure if we got something.

3irty1
10-03-2014, 09:49 AM
TOP goes to hell when you have a pick 6. I won't hold that against them.

Hayward had a great play as well getting his helmet on the ball to break up that one pass. He's inching his way to relevance each week. Getting him going would be enormous.

Also dud for Flynn. Unless his plan is to help launch Harrison to the pro bowl and inflate his next contract, that was a terrible throw.

Guiness
10-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Hayward had a great play as well getting his helmet on the ball to break up that one pass. He's inching his way to relevance each week. Getting him going would be enormous.

Hayward and Burnett both. Hayward almost had a pick last night, and Burnett is playing near where the Pack thought he'd be when they gave him that contract. Those two playing well is a big boost to the defense of passes over the middle.

The pass rush is undoubtedly helping them back there. Sure, Ponder managed to escape more often than I thought he should've, but he was running for his life a lot back there. IIRC Cutler felt some heat as well.

Zool
10-03-2014, 10:30 AM
Also dud for Flynn. Unless his plan is to help launch Harrison to the pro bowl and inflate his next contract, that was a terrible throw.

Yeah WTF was that throw. Did he think he could throw it through Harrison AND Starks? Bonehead play. At least Rodgers is only tied for the team lead in INTs thrown now.

Zool
10-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Burnett has gone from dud for an entire season (2013) to possible weekly stud. His break on that 3rd and 3 out route to Wright was beautiful. He's reading the O again and getting it right. This safety tandem could be fantastic for a long time if they continue to develop.

Maxie the Taxi
10-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Flynn looked "down on himself." I bet he thought his odds of playing in this game were next to nothing, so he wasn't adequately prepared.

Maxie the Taxi
10-03-2014, 10:34 AM
Burnett has gone from dud for an entire season (2013) to possible weekly stud. His break on that 3rd and 3 out route to Wright was beautiful. He's reading the O again and getting it right. This safety tandem could be fantastic for a long time if they continue to develop.

+1. Your opinion is backed up by playing time stats. HaHa is getting 75% of the snaps instead of Hyde.

denverYooper
10-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Flynn looked "down on himself." I bet he thought his odds of playing in this game were next to nothing, so he wasn't adequately prepared.

He shouldn't be so down. If he's invested wisely, he can retire next year and live comfortably without a lot the health problems that longtime starters deal with.

Maxie the Taxi
10-03-2014, 10:39 AM
He shouldn't be so down. If he's invested wisely, he can retire next year and live comfortably without a lot the health problems that longtime starters deal with.

I wish he'd take your advice. I really think Tolzien is the answer if God forbid anything happens to Rodgers.

Fritz
10-03-2014, 10:39 AM
+1. Your opinion is backed up by playing time stats. HaHa is getting 75% of the snaps instead of Hyde.

Hyde seems to be a sure tackler, so I can see why they like him. But Ha Ha seems to have the capability to become a real impact player, so you've got to like that. He blitzed on one play and though he did not get to the QB he forced Ponder to move, and Ha Ha showed a violence on that rush you don't normally see from safeties and corners who blitz.

Burnett is starting to actually seem to be a difference-maker. I wonder if having guys he trusts is helping him. He played that up in comments this morning in a JSO article.

Hayward did play well, too, and House was meh. That guy is more up and down than a bi-polar girlfriend.

I thought Lattimore showed more violence in his tackling than Hawk or Jones. He wasn't great but it was nice to see someone laying a lick.

I wonder how bad Datone Jones's injury is...

Maxie the Taxi
10-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Fritz, agreed. Although Hawk did more straight up stop gap tackling this game. Usually he's chasing the ball carrier or piling on.

Datone needs to be healthy. The kid has had a couple of great games. I think he has potential to be really, really good.

Rutnstrut
10-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Studs- Hawk again, keep on hating guys. Lacy, the offensive line. Rodgers, Cobb, Nelson. Brad Jones for not playing.

Duds- Rodgers, for taking 2 sacks he needs to get rid of the ball. tackling on most of the D was bad.

pbmax
10-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Yeah WTF was that throw. Did he think he could throw it through Harrison AND Starks? Bonehead play. At least Rodgers is only tied for the team lead in INTs thrown now.

He was ignoring the not open Starks, who did not help scrambling Flynn by running into coverage. Flynn was trying to get it to the TE behind them and didn't see Starks and defender change direction.

Harlan Huckleby
10-03-2014, 11:52 AM
The entire team played well against a lesser opponent that was depleted by injuries, etc.

I agree with Fritz' comment of last night: "I feel like the Pack did not play nearly as well as the score."

I think players are not ready emotionally or physically on a Thursday night, leading to dud games. Which leads me to declare NFL Network and their CBS lackey duds.

Harlan Huckleby
10-03-2014, 12:04 PM
stud - offensive line. I've liked the O-line most games this year, the protection has been very good, The run blocking OK.

Sherrod was in long enough to remind that he is a dud. The Sherry experiment has run its course for 2014. Maybe he can be resigned to vet minimum and try again next year.

Come back, JC Tretter.

HarveyWallbangers
10-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Duds:

Me for thinking the Vikes would cover. I thought Teddy would play but it appears he'd have been walking into a buzz saw. Our DL decimated their OL and Ponder's best throws were dropped.

Tyrion for the title of this thread.

Anyone who said Peppers would be playing out of position here. Going into this game Pff had him ranked the #1 3-4 OLB in the league. After this game he's the only player ever to get 100 sacks and 10 ints. I don't think there is such a thing as "playing out of position" for a guy like that.

Datone Jones for getting hurt.

Studs:

The WR's they made the Vikings secondary look a lot worse than it is.

They exposed some problems on that OL. Mike Daniels had some holy shit moments teleporting through their interior line. Even Guion and what's his name were disruptive. This front 4 can rush the passer with the best.

Hawk has had two good games in a row with some really physical stops. Lattimore made the routine look routine which is all you can ask for. Who actually thinks Brad Jones or Jarrett Boykin are hurt?

Burnett had another solid game. Again he was our leading tackler. He's been ripping at the ball all year and it finally paid off with a FF.

Nick Perry was an animal. Hell, Neal too. Those dudes may not be a featured part of this defense but they are tone setters. Bulls in a china shop.

Tim Masthay three consecutive punts of 58 yards.

I'm glad someone acknowledged Hawk, Burnett, and Perry. I think Hawk has actually been pretty solid the past few games. Burnett has had some moments this year, and Perry is quality off the bench. Not many teams have the luxury of a guy like him (and Neal) giving the starters a rest. About the only thing that concerns me right now is the DL stopping the run. They undersized and we could see more bad moments trying to stop good teams from running the ball.

Freak Out
10-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Peter Dinklage.

Harlan Huckleby
The defensive line is very young. What was that soap, "The Young and the Restless." Maybe they'll improve yet this year.

HarveyWallbangers
In the first half, prior to garbage time, Minnesota won TOP 17:32 to 12:58. The Queens ran 38 offensive plays to the Pack's 26. Moreover, the Pack's 3rd down efficiency was 1 for 6 or 17%.

38 plays for barely over 100 yards and 3 turnovers. The Packers only needed one long drive to score 28 points. One drive they had a 66 yard bomb. One was an interception return for TD. One was a short drive after an interception. Hard to complain about TOP.

MadScientist
10-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Studs:
OL - almost like clockwork, after the first 4 games the OL stops sucking donkey dick
Lacy - ran like he was running last year.
Guion - Played like he was pissed off at MN (which he was). Somebody needs to tell him each week that the opponent has dissed him personally.
Robinson - From practice squad to the making a huge play in prime time in less that 12 hours.

Duds:
Patient offense - it was either score very fast (4 play drives or less) or 3 and out (5 times) for the whole first half. Not including touchdowns, the Packers only had 3 first downs the whole half.
WR's - made a couple of big plays, but weren't getting open consistently (only 11 targets and 5 catches for the 3 starters).
Flynn - bad choices, especially the interception, when his receiver was blocking for him and never saw the ball.

3irty1
10-03-2014, 02:58 PM
I'm glad someone acknowledged Hawk, Burnett, and Perry. I think Hawk has actually been pretty solid the past few games. Burnett has had some moments this year, and Perry is quality off the bench. Not many teams have the luxury of a guy like him (and Neal) giving the starters a rest. About the only thing that concerns me right now is the DL stopping the run. They undersized and we could see more bad moments trying to stop good teams from running the ball.

Nick Perry is building a pretty awesome highlight type this season. Not so much of it has shown up on the stat sheets but he's winning some 1 on 1's in pretty jaw dropping ways. Last night be blew up Loadholt as if he didn't weight 400 lbs.

I think he, Hayward, and Daniels can still totally save that 2012 draft.

Striker
10-03-2014, 03:06 PM
Flynn deserves the only dud of the night.

That and the NFL's Thursday Night games thus far this season. Certainly not competitive.

Rutnstrut
10-03-2014, 03:12 PM

Hawk is always solid, not stellar, or dominating but solid. That's what I really like about him. I would rather have 11 dependable, solid AJ Hawk type players on defense, than a few studs and the rest jag's. IMO Hawk is better than Mathews just because you can always count on Hawk to play. Although I am impressed that Clay seems to be playing decent with an injury.

pbmax
10-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Nick Perry is building a pretty awesome highlight type this season. Not so much of it has shown up on the stat sheets but he's winning some 1 on 1's in pretty jaw dropping ways. Last night be blew up Loadholt as if he didn't weight 400 lbs.

I think he, Hayward, and Daniels can still totally save that 2012 draft.

If Perry can ever develop a counter move, we can stop debating that draft.

pbmax
10-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Hawk has been more than dependable this year. We saw it in preseason. He is making many more plays going forward and fewer chase plays. He is filling in against the run better. As always with this defense, its up and down across the board. If everyone was filling a gap like Hawk is through 4 games, run D not a problem any more.

The pass rush and return of the turnover are proof you need playmakers to some extent. The reason the TOP battle didn't matter and total yards was completely misleading was the turnovers. Many of which came off pressure.