PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to the 'ol "Free Play" ?

CaptainKickass
10-04-2014, 04:46 AM
So,

Back in the day, when a defensive lineman moved across the line of scrimmage before the snap, the flag was thrown by a referee but the play was allowed to continue. Opportunistic quarterbacks would normally huck up the deep bomb. Sometimes even into double coverage knowing that if it was picked off - that's OK - because possession of the ball would come back to the offense if the penalty was accepted.

But, if the hucked up bomb was caught, the offense could choose to decline and keep the beneficial yardage, resulting in the "free play".

Now, maybe I missed it as a rule revision or a "point of emphasis" by the officials, but it seems to me that during this season the refs just simply blow all of these opportunities dead.

Did I miss something? Are my casual observations incorrect?

I generously provide you the gift of Packers cleavage as advance payment for your responses:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/50/5a/f6/505af609b9b5727bb171bf29febc2b0f.jpg

sharpe1027
10-04-2014, 05:21 AM
O lineman are taught to get out of their stance when a defender enters the neutral zone now with the rule change. It used to be they couldn't do that. I think that is why you seldom see a free play.

channtheman
10-04-2014, 08:50 AM
Sharpe is right. If the OL moves when the DL comes across the line of scrimmage, the play is blown dead and a penalty is charged on the defense. If the OL were to remain still, the play would be allowed to continue.

Maxie the Taxi
10-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Talking about rules... ....I ran across this one at the NFL.com rules page:

"Offensive linemen are permitted to interlock legs."

When is the last time you've seen that?

hoosier
10-04-2014, 10:13 AM
Instead of teaching OL to come out of their stance, teach the center to snap the ball (and the QB to be ready for early snaps when doing hard count). Then you get your free play.

pbmax
10-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Instead of teaching OL to come out of their stance, teach the center to snap the ball (and the QB to be ready for early snaps when doing hard count). Then you get your free play.

They do that too but the center doesn't always see it. Sometime the QB has to rush the cadence to get the snap.

Guiness
10-04-2014, 11:09 AM
O lineman are taught to get out of their stance when a defender enters the neutral zone now with the rule change. It used to be they couldn't do that. I think that is why you seldom see a free play.

What rule change?

pbmax
10-04-2014, 11:23 AM
What rule change?

They tightened the rule book about what D lineman are allowed to do pre snap. This includes things like simulating the snap to draw an O lineman offside or false start. Used to be no matter what, D lineman could move or cross the LOS and as long as they were back in position at the snap, it was not a penalty.

First they changed the rule to unabated to the QB to prevent free hits on the QB. Unabated to the QB gets blown dead. They also changed the rule about O line movement pre snap. Now, if the O lineman moves in reaction to the D lineman, its neutral zone infraction on the Defense.

hoosier
10-04-2014, 06:44 PM
They do that too but the center doesn't always see it. Sometime the QB has to rush the cadence to get the snap.

A few years ago I recall Rodgers benefitting frequently from defensive jumping. He would get at least one free play per game, or least that's what it seemed. Maybe that was before the inducing-false-start rule was applied and OL instruction has changed since then. Or maybe Lindsey doesn't have as good peripheral vision as Wells or whoever it was. Whatever the difference was, it was a significant weapon for Rodgers.

Freak Out
10-05-2014, 04:57 AM
So,

Back in the day, when a defensive lineman moved across the line of scrimmage before the snap, the flag was thrown by a referee but the play was allowed to continue. Opportunistic quarterbacks would normally huck up the deep bomb. Sometimes even into double coverage knowing that if it was picked off - that's OK - because possession of the ball would come back to the offense if the penalty was accepted.

But, if the hucked up bomb was caught, the offense could choose to decline and keep the beneficial yardage, resulting in the "free play".

Now, maybe I missed it as a rule revision or a "point of emphasis" by the officials, but it seems to me that during this season the refs just simply blow all of these opportunities dead.

Did I miss something? Are my casual observations incorrect?

I generously provide you the gift of Packers cleavage as advance payment for your responses:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/50/5a/f6/505af609b9b5727bb171bf29febc2b0f.jpg

Nice pair. Thanks Capt.

pbmax
10-05-2014, 09:38 AM
A few years ago I recall Rodgers benefitting frequently from defensive jumping. He would get at least one free play per game, or least that's what it seemed. Maybe that was before the inducing-false-start rule was applied and OL instruction has changed since then. Or maybe Lindsey doesn't have as good peripheral vision as Wells or whoever it was. Whatever the difference was, it was a significant weapon for Rodgers.

That INT versus the Lions or Bears that was called back on a freebie, though that one might have been 12 men.

gbgary
10-05-2014, 10:37 PM

extra points...

as far as the "free play" goes i think if the ball gets snapped quick enough they let it play out. last week i ball didn't get snapped before the ref blew the whistle i believe.

Carolina_Packer
10-06-2014, 03:43 PM
I would need to see the replay of that particular play to know if anyone on the Packers o-line flinched. Seems like Rodgers was saying something to them, but sort of half in jest, but I'm sure he wanted them to let the play continue. Did anyone go back and look at that play to see if the refs should have let the play continue? I don't recall any player obviously standing up. I do remember Bak standing up and pointing at a defender multiple times (reminded me of a kid on a playground), but I don't think that was the same play.

MadScientist
10-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Rodgers has picked up several free plays when he caught the defense with 12 on the field. One of his picks was called back because of it, but he hasn't hit a long bomb off a free play yet.

ThunderDan
10-06-2014, 06:39 PM

You see it on every field goal and PAT. That's all I can come up with.