PDA

View Full Version : Jarius Byrd

HarveyWallbangers
10-08-2014, 11:31 PM
Interesting note on Byrd that I found. Not that he got injured and is out for the year, but the fact that he wasn't playing well for the Saints. New system though, so maybe he was still in an adjustment phase.

http://blogs.theadvocate.com/blackandgold/2014/10/02/nfl-films-greg-cosell-not-impressed-with-jairus-byrds-play-in-new-orleans/

"I think their safeties have been very poor. Jairus Byrd — and I don’t see every team every week, I just can’t — but through all the safeties I’ve seen through four weeks, you could make an argument that Jairus Byrd is playing the worst safety in the NFL...

According to Pro Football Focus, Byrd has missed seven tackles this season, three of which came last week against the Dallas Cowboys. Overall, Pro Football Focus rates Byrd as the 66th best safety in the NFL."

HarveyWallbangers
10-08-2014, 11:34 PM
I advocated for signing Malcolm Jenkins (but not at $6m/year) and not T.J. Ward or Jarius Byrd. Ward is having a good season for Denver. Jenkins has been rated as one of the best safeties in the NFL. Byrd was terrible and now is lost for the year.

"Third on the list [of top safeties in the NFL according to Pro Football Focus] is Malcolm Jenkins, a former member of the Saints who signed with the Philadelphia Eagles after his contract expired this offseason."

With Burnett's rebound and the emergence of Clinton-Dix and Hyde, I'm happy in retrospect that the Packers used money on Julius Peppers and resigning Jordy Nelson (and perhaps Randall Cobb later)--rather than sign a veteran safety.

pbmax
10-08-2014, 11:35 PM
There isn't much working on that Defense right now. Rob Ryan has hit two franchises whose D was going downhill in a row.

pittstang5
10-09-2014, 07:55 AM
In the off season, I just wanted a veteran safety that was competent. I had given up on Burnett and moving Hyde to safety was a rumor. With the addition of Dix, how Burnett is playing as of late, Hyde having some growing pains, but much better than MD Jennings and McClusterfuck and Richardson as a back up, I'm fine with how the organization handled the safety position.

I'm still leery about Burnett, he doesn't have all my confidence, but watching him last Thurs. - that was some ballin.

MadtownPacker
10-09-2014, 10:44 AM
What??? Another HW thread where he pats himself on his redneck back? Big shocker. Where is the shit he got all wrong?

Carolina_Packer
10-09-2014, 10:49 AM
This is when you appreciate the slow, steady hand of TT when it comes to team building. I haven't looked at the guaranteed money that Byrd received, but that could be potentially crippling to their cap to pay big money to a safety and have him get hurt. And that was after you let go of a bunch of established talent to even be able to sign him. I too was hoping for a value pickup like a Chris Clemons, formerly of the Dolphins, who eventually signed with the Texans. The only knock on him is that he is now 29 years old and Hyde, Dix, and Richardson are considerably younger.

From an ESPN.com article...
Safety Chris Clemons has signed with the Houston Texans, the team announced Friday.

The two-year deal is worth $2.7 million and includes $450,000 in guaranteed money, sources said.

So, assuming you don't sign a high price guy like Byrd or Ward, and go for a guy like a Clemons whose cap number would have been friendly, who would you have cut from the team to make room for him, assuming you still drafted HHCD? Sean Richardson? Why? Banjo was already cut and put on PS without having signed an FA at safety. I'm guessing that's where it's hard to fit a guy like that in a position, whereas Guion and Peppers had spots where they would fit. Plus, with the depth at CB and Hyde moving over to S that eliminated the need to fill the spot from outside.

3irty1
10-09-2014, 12:16 PM
I too wanted Clemons although I would have been fine with Burnett, Hyde, Richardson, and Banjo going into the season. Burnett was on a good trajectory before last season so I think it would be just as risky to replace him and create an expensive logjam as it would have been to simply hope he rebounds. Drafting Clinton-Dix really justified everything though. They solidified the position as much as any of the FA options in the team friendliest way possible.

As for Byrd and Ward I didn't want them either. Ward wasn't going to solve our center fielder need, and isn't even as strong as a coverman as Burnett. I'm a Byrd fan but I think everyone knew the only way to land Byrd was to overpay. Earl Thomas pretty much ensured that demand for elite center fielders would blow up this year. Seemed like the moneyball route to go was not to buy high on the new league trend.

What I wanted was a guy who was a jack of all trades even if that meant he was a master of none. We kind of already had that guy in Burnett. He's a solid enough tackler that he's a passable strong safety and strong enough in coverage that he's passable playing the deep role. Nothing special on his own but combine him with another player like that and they are better than the sum of their parts because it makes the assignments completely unpredictable. I guess this is kind of what San Fransisco had going with Goldson and Whitner.

gbgary
10-09-2014, 12:29 PM
There isn't much working on that Defense right now. Rob Ryan has hit two franchises whose D was going downhill in a row.

let's hope that holds true when we play them.

call_me_ishmael
10-10-2014, 09:58 AM
How are the Packers safety's doing stat wise? Also, what do you think of HHCD, Harv? Looks like a future star to me.

Maxie the Taxi
10-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Ishmael, good article here on Packers' safety play: http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/14038/packers-finally-get-big-plays-from-safeties

HaHa addition (along with Hyde) has allowed Burnett to flourish like never before.