PDA

View Full Version : Manning Closes In On Favre's Touchdown Pass Record

Joemailman
10-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Favre at 508, Manning at 503.

"I'm glad it's Peyton that's doing it," Favre told the AP in a phone interview from his home in Mississippi. "I think a lot of Peyton. I know him well. I know his family well. His dad was one of my idols."

Manning said he was pleased to hear Favre's words of encouragement.

"If you play quarterback, nobody's defined longevity and career toughness more than him," Manning said. "His consecutive starts streak is one of the most impressive things I think in all of sports. ... He always answered the bell every single Sunday and was always producing.

Manning has the opportunity to set a record that will be very difficult for anyone to break any time soon. He could get to about 530 this year. If he plays a couple more years, (he's 38 now) he could get in the area of 600. To put that into perspective, Tom Brady at age 37 has 365. Drew Brees at age 35 has 372. Aaron Rodgers at age 31 will probably finish the season with about 220. He would need to average 35 TD passes over another 11 years to get to 600.

denverYooper
10-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Andrew Luck

Joemailman
10-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Yeah, Luck would seem to be the guy with the best chance to make a run for it. Wilson, as good as he is, doesn't strike me as the type who could put up 30-40 on a regular basis.

pbmax
10-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Luck would need to lose his taste for contact.

King Friday
10-09-2014, 09:41 PM
With the way the rules have changed to favor the offense, it won't be too long before Manning's mark falls.

In today's NFL, a player like Marino, Favre or Manning in their prime would throw for 40 TDs a year for 8+ years...and QBs are able to play 15+ seasons far more often today than they were a few decades ago thanks to better conditioning and preparation.

Rodgers had close to 200 TDs in 5.5 seasons. What makes anyone think that 500 is such an unreachable mark in today's NFL?

Joemailman
10-09-2014, 09:54 PM
With the way the rules have changed to favor the offense, it won't be too long before Manning's mark falls.

In today's NFL, a player like Marino, Favre or Manning in their prime would throw for 40 TDs a year for 8+ years...and QBs are able to play 15+ seasons far more often today than they were a few decades ago thanks to better conditioning and preparation.

Rodgers had close to 200 TDs in 5.5 seasons. What makes anyone think that 500 is such an unreachable mark in today's NFL?

By the time Manning gets done, the mark might be closer to 600. Rodgers probably won't make it because he didn't become a starter until his 4th season. Who else right now is as prolific as he is?

Zool
10-10-2014, 08:54 AM
Rodgers started his first full season at 25. Manning at 22.

Manning had 138 through his first 5 seasons starting(80 games)
Rodgers had 170 through his first 5 seasons starting(78 games)

Career-wise
Manning has 2.06 TDs per start
Rodgers has 2.17 TDs per start

If Rodgers stays healthy and plays till 40, it could be close. He'll need a couple huge seasons mixed in there like Peyton had.

call_me_ishmael
10-10-2014, 09:56 AM
Peyton would have matched or exceeded Favre's streak, too, if not for that pesky neck injury. He has been remarkably healthy. Realistically - he's probably the GOAT.

Can't compare Peyton to some of these newer guys stats wise. He started in an era very similar to Favre. Transition to pass happy started in like 2007ish.

Pugger
10-10-2014, 01:58 PM

Man, can you imagine the numbers Marino would put up if he were playing today? :shock:

pbmax
10-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Man, can you imagine the numbers Marino would put up if he were playing today? :shock:

Kyle and Mike Shanahan would have him running read-options and Dan would be a double-amputee by Christmas.

Joemailman
10-12-2014, 10:02 PM
Manning had 3 today. Trails Favre by 2. Broncos host 49ers next Sunday night.

Infamous
10-19-2014, 08:12 AM
Favre at 508, Manning at 503.

Manning has the opportunity to set a record that will be very difficult for anyone to break any time soon. He could get to about 530 this year. If he plays a couple more years, (he's 38 now) he could get in the area of 600. To put that into perspective, Tom Brady at age 37 has 365. Drew Brees at age 35 has 372. Aaron Rodgers at age 31 will probably finish the season with about 220. He would need to average 35 TD passes over another 11 years to get to 600.

Classy of favre

Infamous
10-19-2014, 08:13 AM
Luck would need to lose his taste for contact.

Spot on!

Cheesehead Craig
10-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Loved the keep away the WRs played with the record TD ball

3irty1
10-20-2014, 07:10 AM
Peyton would have matched or exceeded Favre's streak, too, if not for that pesky neck injury. He has been remarkably healthy. Realistically - he's probably the GOAT.

Can't compare Peyton to some of these newer guys stats wise. He started in an era very similar to Favre. Transition to pass happy started in like 2007ish.

Peyton has a strong claim for GOAT. Really I think the only guy who could challenge him for it is Bart Starr, and only depending on the criteria. Starr is similarly the total package but was great in all the ways Peyton is mortal.